Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Heard from an LSU buddy they were wanting Mason pretty badly

Well - LSU doesn't have a DC and Mason doesn't have a job - so if that was going to happen not sure why it wouldn't have already.

At this point, if you're Mason and have your pick of jobs, why the fuck would you want to go work for Orgeron?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think Texas is swinging for the fences on this hire. My view remains that Urban Meyer makes too much sense and none of what occurred, after it was clear OSU could make the CFP btw, regarding him saying "no" makes a ton of sense. So, regardless of what I'm hearing about Kelly or anything else, I still believe Urban Meyer is coming to Texas after the Ohio State season is finished. Do I need to start wearing a tinfoil hat? Maybe folks think so. I don't care.

No clue. I think Mason would be a fucking bad ass DC hire for anyone. Same for Muschamp, of course.

Agree with all of this

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think Texas is swinging for the fences on this hire. My view remains that Urban Meyer makes too much sense and none of what occurred, after it was clear OSU could make the CFP btw, regarding him saying "no" makes a ton of sense. So, regardless of what I'm hearing about Kelly or anything else, I still believe Urban Meyer is coming to Texas after the Ohio State season is finished. Do I need to start wearing a tinfoil hat? Maybe folks think so. I don't care.

Absolutely. From the beginning, Urbi Wan to Texas has made the most sense of everything we've been seeing and hearing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Well - LSU doesn't have a DC and Mason doesn't have a job - so if that was going to happen not sure why it wouldn't have already.

At this point, if you're Mason and have your pick of jobs, why the fuck would you want to go work for Orgeron?

Agreed just passing along what I’ve heard, last person I’d hitch my wagon to is Ogre. Could be waiting to see what comes open

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I am so leery of Muschamp. I know there are some guys that are terrible head coaches that are good coordinators, but I'm skeptical. Also, our recruiting at certain positions on defense while he was here was not good at all.  Maybe he's a lot more experienced now and will be better, but that's two question marks/risks in hiring him. I do know many on the recruiting board really like him, so if they really think he's good, i guess it's a risk worth taking. I LOVE what Ash has done so far. Our LB's have steadily improved to the point where people are talking NFL for Overshown, the line is much better at containment and pressure, and our DB's don't give up as many boneheaded plays. I'd be in favor of keeping Ash and the LB coach at least.

Agree 100%. Never got the hype & bromance/manlove over the guy. His fire was exciting at times, but he isn't the DC some make him out to be here, imho. And yep, love what Ash has done. Hope he stays to just keep building this D.

Edited by wood

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No clue. I think Mason would be a fucking bad ass DC hire for anyone. Same for Muschamp, of course.

erection GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Urbi Wan?  Take that and your "I can't eat Mcribs because I''m lactose intolerant" stench back to the night crew.  Come back 4 hour.

Meh. Fuck off. Someone's gotta be here to keep you Day Crew bitches from fucking this shit up, curling up into a fetal ball, and crying yourselves to sleep. And re: the McRib, you're talking about Newy, and he's more Day Crew than Night Crew in just about every discernible way.. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Meh. Fuck off. Someone's gotta be here to keep you Day Crew bitches from fucking this shit up.

How do we define success of day crew vs night crew? 

The timing of UM's impending decision to coach Varsity for the University of By-God Texas?

Besides the resident troll in this thread, I’ve been the biggest wet blanket on Urban coming here solely because of what I’ve been told, but I also just don’t understand how he goes from very interested and engaged to not wanting to come. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Deep down I’m just hoping that Meyer has been putting out the no’s like he did for the Florida and OSU jobs. In summary, I’m still on the Urban train anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

How do we define success of day crew vs night crew? 

The timing of UM's impending decision to coach Varsity for the University of By-God Texas?

I was thinking more along the lines of not freaking out like a fire drill on The Office and crying like bitches every other day about every perceived setback.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

I was thinking more along the lines of not freaking out like a fire drill on The Office and crying like bitches every other day about every perceived setback.

I always think this “rivalry” when I think of The Office.

Anyway, we are getting really close to learning something substantial. This thread has been a hell of a ride and I am proud to be part of this palace of degenerates. Urban or Bust!  It’s going to happen. 

C45CAAF9-D75F-472E-AC43-4495C065BEB4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Besides the resident troll in this thread, I’ve been the biggest wet blanket on Urban coming here solely because of what I’ve been told, but I also just don’t understand how he goes from very interested and engaged to not wanting to come. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Deep down I’m just hoping that Meyer has been putting out the no’s like he did for the Florida and OSU jobs. In summary, I’m still on the Urban train anyway.

Maybe your relation source is straight up lying to you or being lied to.

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

this is all from my favorite saying in the whole saga  Urban "looked under the hood".  Yeah right. Even Urban knows its a top 3 job with the right Ath Dir/Admin.  There is a reason Saban was going to drop Bama to come to Texas 8 years ago. He may have had some requests but the only way we don't give them is 2 reasons - A) they were completely outrageous(meaning no other University has done it) or B) we're Cal.  I am choosing the position that Hartzell and CDC would impress Urban and that A never happened and we are not B.

If health is an issue you don't look under the hood and if we get/got him to Austin we close.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is all from my favorite saying in the whole saga  Urban "looked under the hood".  Yeah right. Even Urban knows its a top 3 job with the right Ath Dir/Admin.  There is a reason Saban was going to drop Bama to come to Texas 8 years ago. He may have had some requests but the only way we don't give them is 2 reasons - A) they were completely outrageous(meaning no other University has done it) or B) we're Cal.  I am choosing the position that Hartzell and CDC would impress Urban and that A never happened and we are not B.

If health is an issue you don't look under the hood and if we get/got him to Austin we close.

This is my favorite thing about this place.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m confident my source is telling the truth. I’m not confident Urban is telling people the truth.

Track records matter in things like this. I think it’s entirely possible he’s a yes but saying no - it’s what he’s done before. The “or bust” part for me is an unwillingness to hope for success with any coach other than UM.  Life’s too short to chase fools folly with another name.  Give me UM or I’ll take a wait and prove it to me approach. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

By the way, the reason stated was a desire to stay retired, which if true means all of these other job rumors are b.s.

A guy of interest for OC under Urban IMO:

I've always felt Kevin Wilson is more responsible than Ryan Day for the sudden explosion of offensive at tOSU. I believe he brought the teaching principles of the Leach passing game (to combine with the running game) from his days at OU.  I remember when Urban hired him and thinking it was a shift in offensive philosophy for him.

He then started recruiting kids from spread HS programs, including Texas (and Lake Travis). Day may call the plays, but I believe Wilson had A LOT of influence on the offensive install.

I also believe that these offenses that are related, or derivatives, of the Leach teaching style basically call themselves on game day. The players on the field determine the call much moreso than a good play-caller in the booth or on the sidelines. That's why Lincoln Riley can call plays and be the head coach and Herman cannot. Herman's offense isn't as simple and efficient as the Leach system in a world where players only get 20 hours per week in short spurts of the year with their coaches.

Mike Leach  is pass happy by choice, not because you can't have a power run game component attached to it. The genius of the system is how simple it is while still compromising just about any defense known in existence, as long as your offensive line holds up. College offense is all about simplicity, repetition, speed, and leverage of the opposing defense before the snap.  It  makes teaching and play-calling simple and just about anyone who can learn chalkboard talk can excel at it. That's why the new OC after someone leaves is usually the inside receivers coach. Rinse and repeat and barely miss a beat.

Oddly, this system was invented decades ago in high school football in the state of Texas.. It's also been beating us for over twenty years and the state flagship, outside of one year running a veer version of it, has never even considered it.

It's a gimmick, we are told. Just a hint, all four of the national titles won at The University of Texas were won running some type of option football. The Leach system is option football in the air (with all the power you want attached to it). 

And we wonder why this program hasn't won consistently in decades?

To make matters worse, the dipshit that coached here for 16 years and refused to install it, then goes back to UNC and hires someone to install it and starts to break offensive records thru the air and the run game without anything near the talent he had here.

Kevin Wilson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wilson_(American_football)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Okay, what are the hours for day vs night shifts? We need consensus on this.

What about swing-shifters like me? Am I forced to choose sides?

Time is a circle. Not a number on a dial, but a state of mind. A state of mind that will be altered, morphed with substance, substance and time. 

• Hook 'Em 1