Jump to content

Trivial things that make you surly


elfenix

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

these people should be issued a scarlet letter so that they're never allowed in restaurants again

Picture working next to a downtown convention center.  Group of 15 shows up and ALL separate checks.  And get this, they all want to leave at different times. Not an everyday thing, but it happens.

  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Picture working next to a downtown convention center.  Group of 15 shows up and ALL separate checks.  And get this, they all want to leave at different times. Not an everyday thing, but it happens.

That is really over the top.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

To this day, I still see some sap go through the serving line at Luby’s and make anywhere from  5 - 10 individual and customized to-go orders and then proceed to the cashier and individually pay for each order one at a time.  
 

Close out order, pay, receive change, put change in an envelope. 
 

Pull out a different envelope, pay, receive change, put change in envelope. 

Dot dot dot

Hold up the entire line to slop some sounder of pigs in an office somewhere and give them their correct change.  

Thing I learned today: a group of swine is a sounder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Precisely and then the 4 or five customers behind will blame the cashier because they're just not very aware.

I don't necessarily mean an even split, but I don't or didn't hang with non drinkers.  But it was usually, "ok I had the freelet mignon, two glasses of wine, tip tax, I should be good at 60?"  Everyone I've hung out with overpays even if they were poor. Again, maybe it's who you run with but I'd shun anyone that doesn't step up when they had the lobster, 4 Mexican merlots.  I'd certainly call someone out if that happens.  These days we just play credit card roulette. 

 

Also depends on the system the restaurant uses.  But the split is one part, then doing the payments, tying up a terminal, neglecting your other patrons becomes a PITA.

 

 

I've worked in several restaurants.  I've never known servers who were happy about separate checks but they deal with it because it's their job.  

It's mostly women who ask for separate checks.  They're incapable of understanding "I'll get this round, and you get the next.  and so on" 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only time I've needed separate checks is when traveling for business with colleagues and we are on expense accounts from different employers.  If it's up to me though, we're sitting at the bar.  Let them know upon ordering that it will be separate checks and why, never any issues.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Picture working next to a downtown convention center.  Group of 15 shows up and ALL separate checks.  And get this, they all want to leave at different times. Not an everyday thing, but it happens.

Never worked restaurant industry, so don't hammer me for these questions:

I totally get the last second, "OBTW, we need separate checks, " being a bullshit move;  but if they tell you straight up from the jump they are 15 separate tickets, is this different from 15 other individual customers?

Does the concentration of them at 1/2/3 tables help or cause problems?  Is 15 individual customers realistic for one waiter or is it a bullshit assignment?

 

Edited by slorch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's a pain in the ass, regardless, but it's a bigger pain in the ass if you've already entered the ticket and need to split it up. 

If you are going to split the ticket, just do it at the table amongst yourselves you cheap fuckers.

I agree.  I tend to run my own money laundering operation and run the total tab on my card and let the peasants run their dirty cash through my hands.  There are some known fucktards like those mentioned upthread who will order a couple of cocktails or whatever and try to pay like they ordered water.  usually one of my brothers.

 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

The only time I've needed separate checks is when traveling for business with colleagues and we are on expense accounts from different employers.  If it's up to me though, we're sitting at the bar.  Let them know upon ordering that it will be separate checks and why, never any issues.

I was just trying to think of the last time I needed separate checks. And this was probably it. I work one place that wouldn't reimburse alcohol, so I had to separate those, but I always told the waiter/bartender ahead of time and it wasn't a big deal.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I was just trying to think of the last time I needed separate checks. And this was probably it. I work one place that wouldn't reimburse alcohol, so I had to separate those, but I always told the waiter/bartender ahead of time and it wasn't a big deal.

Tell him to ring them up as "onion rings" and he'll get a big tip. Win/Win

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a little time before our movie last weekend so we went to Pieology. Basically a pizza place where you select a crust and the toppings and they would bake it for you.

There was a party of 3 in front of us ordering 4 pizza and taking for fucking ever.

One of the workers got the crust ready and then said she couldn’t help us with the toppings because that’s the other person’s job (and I would be jumping the line). I gave her the WTF look, give her manager the are-you-fucking-serious look. The manager told her to just do it.

We got our pizza about 7 minutes while the group in front of us were stilling picking their toppings…

Not sure if she was just stupid or it’s their restaurant’s policy. But I’m thinking she was just an idiot. 

Edited by Superhero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I had to go to Beaumont this weekend.  I took 99, The Grand Parkway from I-45 to I-10.  Who in the ever living fuck thought it was a good idea to build a fucking toll road with one fucking lane?  Go fuck yourself.  Drove into Houston on the way back cause fuck that road.

To continue the rant, the GP is just a bad fucking idea anyway.  They made it for hurricane evacuations, but it goes in a fucking circle.  And since you built the damn thing anyway, why didn't you do it right?  It already needs to be widened cause it is undersized.  It is a road in the middle of nowhere that goes nowhere and it is already too small.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

 And since you built the damn thing anyway, why didn't you do it right?  It already needs to be widened cause it is undersized.  It is a road in the middle of nowhere that goes nowhere and it is already too small.

It wasn’t built for hurricane evacuations. It wasn’t built for convenience or traffic congestion. 

Look at property value trends in the area around the GP route  Look at those values 20 years ago. Look at them today. Look at the individuals and companies that quietly bought up massive tracts in that envelope 30 years ago. 

That’s why the GP was built. You’re playing checkers. They’re playing chess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, nnm said:

It wasn’t built for hurricane evacuations. It wasn’t built for convenience or traffic congestion. 

Look at property value trends in the area around the GP route  Look at those values 20 years ago. Look at them today. Look at the individuals and companies that quietly bought up massive tracts in that envelope 30 years ago. 

That’s why the GP was built. You’re playing checkers. They’re playing chess. 

I am aware it was built to make land owners money.  But it was sold to the public as a hurricane evacuation route.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Vietnamese food and my hood has a really good Vietnamese joint. Since I am working from home a lot, I find myself there a couple of times a week. I usually sit right in front of the register as it’s not a big restaurant and I usually can hear what people order. With their rice plates they offer a fried egg on top (which is delicious). They ask how you want the egg. More than a few times I hear people order something other than runny. What in the everloving fuck is that about? Why?! The point is for the yolk to run down into the rice and mix with the fish sauce and sriracha. Goddamn what is wrong with you?

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 11:24 AM, slorch said:

Never worked restaurant industry, so don't hammer me for these questions:

I totally get the last second, "OBTW, we need separate checks, " being a bullshit move;  but if they tell you straight up from the jump they are 15 separate tickets, is this different from 15 other individual customers?

Does the concentration of them at 1/2/3 tables help or cause problems?  Is 15 individual customers realistic for one waiter or is it a bullshit assignment?

 

Good question.  It's still just a lot of work.  If you're asking if I would rather have 15 different checks at one table vs 15 different checks at 15 tables obviously I would prefer the former because at least it's self contained and as a general rule, the people at the 1 table know when someone at the table is being a dick (this tartar sauce is not fresh, last time there was more scrimps, they didn't charge for avocados last time).  Usually.  But, also, no decent restaurant would give a waiter a section with more than 4-6 tables. Service usually suffers the more customers you have but as usual, one table or customer can fuck your day up.  

 

So yes, 15 at one table is self-contained to that one table, but if you have other tables as well, it can obviously get worse.  But, let's say I have 15 checks for 15 different tables , I guess the advantage there is I know which check belongs to which table?  Bottom line is you gotta be organizaed.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, Superhero said:

We had a little time before our movie last weekend so we went to Pieology. Basically a pizza place where you select a crust and the toppings and they would bake it for you.

There was a party of 3 in front of us ordering 4 pizza and taking for fucking ever.

One of the workers got the crust ready and then said she couldn’t help us with the toppings because that’s the other person’s job (and I would be jumping the line). I gave her the WTF look, give her manager the are-you-fucking-serious look. The manager told her to just do it.

We got our pizza about 7 minutes while the group in front of us were stilling picking their toppings…

Not sure if she was just stupid or it’s their restaurant’s policy. But I’m thinking she was just an idiot. 

Policy.  IF the manager had to say something that means approval was needed.  I think it's kind of like Subway right?  Can't jump to the dressing section?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

I was just trying to think of the last time I needed separate checks. And this was probably it. I work one place that wouldn't reimburse alcohol, so I had to separate those, but I always told the waiter/bartender ahead of time and it wasn't a big deal.

Yea, even with that, I'll submit the entire receipt and just circle what I had.  As long as I don't go over per diem (which is also a bullshit rule) they don't care much

On 6/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, slorch said:

I agree.  I tend to run my own money laundering operation and run the total tab on my card and let the peasants run their dirty cash through my hands.  There are some known fucktards like those mentioned upthread who will order a couple of cocktails or whatever and try to pay like they ordered water.  usually one of my brothers.

 

Yep, there are cheap fuckers out there but if you have money in the bank, what's a couple of 8.95 daquiris.  I don't get it but I'm not cheap nor broke.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:28 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

It's a pain in the ass, regardless, but it's a bigger pain in the ass if you've already entered the ticket and need to split it up. 

If you are going to split the ticket, just do it at the table amongst yourselves you cheap fuckers.

This.  Just split it among the group and call out the cheapskates.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1.  Drive-up pinpads (like to control gates) that are mounted on the wall, instead of on an arm.  If we aint stretch fucking armstrong we have to scrape our door mirrors just to reach the damn thing?

 

2.  Broadcast of sports events that were "Recorded Live".  How else would it have been recorded?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Split checks talk not going away. As a former host all the way to manager I’ll give a few tips. If you must do split checks tell your server from the get go. If it’s adults and kids just order for your kids. Don’t make them chase your kid down for orders. When the food comes pay attention and help the server get the food to the right person. If the server is worth a damn they’ll split the food tickets up so not to create one huge order of 18 meals at once. Lastly just be patient.

Also, there’s no harm In asking your server if there’s gratuity added. My philosophy was I guaranteed myself making my tip if I gratted and if they were going to tip over they still will. Maybe bit me a time or two, but after getting stiffed once by a large group that became my philosophy. These days though a lot of places don’t grat because then it’s taxed as payroll to the company. Believed that changed before the Obama Administration.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Dude going to a mechanic still sucks.    Can these guys pretend to be honest?   Went to get a quote that was double what I expected.  I say “thanks take it off the lift.”    Mechanic “let me talk to manager…::.ok we can do it for half”

So he just admitted he was dishonest, and still expects you to leave your vehicle there?

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting ice from the coke machine, which is low and struggling to dispense a few cubes at a time. After watching that, the dude behind me dumps a cup full of ice out then stands there for 30 seconds to fill back up.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Dude going to a mechanic still sucks.    Can these guys pretend to be honest?   Went to get a quote that was double what I expected.  I say “thanks take it off the lift.”    Mechanic “let me talk to manager…::.ok we can do it for half”

Same goes for plumbers and HVAC guys. Our hot water heater quit on us and the first guy said its a problem with the venturi valve, which they don't make any more for this model (it was a brand new unit in 2018) and it will be $2,800 to just replace the whole unit. I call bullshit, call another plumber. He came out, cleaned up the valve and we are back in business only paying him $225. 

  • Rage+1 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Dude going to a mechanic still sucks.    Can these guys pretend to be honest?   Went to get a quote that was double what I expected.  I say “thanks take it off the lift.”    Mechanic “let me talk to manager…::.ok we can do it for half”

It's great motivation to learn how to work on your own car (obviously some stuff isn't reasonable to do but some stuff is). I'm a young cityslicker and changed my own oil the other day with some help from my neighbor. Took maybe an hour and cost me $30 for full synthetic and a new filter and I KNOW that it was done right (I had a shithead not screw in my drain plug right one time and my oil light came on 2 days later).

If I have free time (which I do) I'd rather not shell out $100 for something trivial like that (and deal with people that will also try and get me to pay for anything they can).

Plus there's just something fulfilling about doing it yourself. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JSB said:

Same goes for plumbers and HVAC guys. Our hot water heater quit on us and the first guy said its a problem with the venturi valve, which they don't make any more for this model (it was a brand new unit in 2018) and it will be $2,800 to just replace the whole unit. I call bullshit, call another plumber. He came out, cleaned up the valve and we are back in business only paying him $225. 

Yep.  Those guys too.  "Let me get a second opinion" usually gets them to pucker up and then say "Uhm, let me talk to the supervisor and we'll see what I can do."  Apparently mechanics are on commission as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, Moby Ric said:

So I had to go to Beaumont this weekend.  I took 99, The Grand Parkway from I-45 to I-10.  Who in the ever living fuck thought it was a good idea to build a fucking toll road with one fucking lane?  Go fuck yourself.  Drove into Houston on the way back cause fuck that road.

To continue the rant, the GP is just a bad fucking idea anyway.  They made it for hurricane evacuations, but it goes in a fucking circle.  And since you built the damn thing anyway, why didn't you do it right?  It already needs to be widened cause it is undersized.  It is a road in the middle of nowhere that goes nowhere and it is already too small.

99 has been helpful for some, easy to cut time out for lots of folks out in the burbs if you're going anywhere from up north or Woodlands all the way to Cypress/Katy. 

I will agree about doing it right the first time; prime example is the shitshow that is 249 and 99 right now, why not build the flyovers when originally constructing the road?  Probably budget constraints at the time, but it's a pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shouldn’t be drinking soda.

That being said, grapefruit soda is extremely underrated.

The best is Topo Sabores Toronja. I used to be able to find it at several grocery stores, but for the past two years I can’t find it anywhere. What in the goddamn fucking fuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2022 at 2:03 PM, elfenix said:

you should correct them by getting far into the weeds on wheels. start talking about how saving rotating mass is similar to saving 3x the amount of non-rotating mass but if your lighter wheels are a larger diameter you could actually make it worse because rotational moment of inertia has the radius as a factor

 

moment of inertia for wheels increases with the square of the radius but only increases proportionally with the mass.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

 

moment of inertia for wheels increases with the square of the radius but only increases proportionally with the mass.

 

this is exactly what i mean. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well shit, my co-director just gave his 2-week notice. We worked together at a previous company, he's a great guy, smart, and can sell ice to an eskimo. I'm pretty sure upper management have had plenty of conversation about promoting him to VP next year.

Maybe it's just a negotiating tactic to get the promotion earlier. But who knows. He's very good with clients and subcontractors. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been approached by many other companies offering more title and more money.

If he follows through, then it will be 3 people from my department leaving within a month. I guess I'll be posting less on here during the day...

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Well shit, my co-director just gave his 2-week notice. We worked together at a previous company, he's a great guy, smart, and can sell ice to an eskimo. I'm pretty sure upper management have had plenty of conversation about promoting him to VP next year.

Maybe it's just a negotiating tactic to get the promotion earlier. But who knows. He's very good with clients and subcontractors. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been approached by many other companies offering more title and more money.

If he follows through, then it will be 3 people from my department leaving within a month. I guess I'll be posting less on here during the day...

Maybe it’s you…

  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 3:12 PM, Moby Ric said:

I am aware it was built to make land owners money.  But it was sold to the public as a hurricane evacuation route.

Only for aggy to drive around in a very large circle.  
 

Like the man said, checkers and chess. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Dude going to a mechanic still sucks.    Can these guys pretend to be honest?   Went to get a quote that was double what I expected.  I say “thanks take it off the lift.”    Mechanic “let me talk to manager…::.ok we can do it for half”

Sounds like your health insurance carrier talking to the hospital billing department. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I shouldn’t be drinking soda.

That being said, grapefruit soda is extremely underrated.

The best is Topo Sabores Toronja. I used to be able to find it at several grocery stores, but for the past two years I can’t find it anywhere. What in the goddamn fucking fuck.

Forces are aligning against you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, tx ind said:

99 has been helpful for some, easy to cut time out for lots of folks out in the burbs if you're going anywhere from up north or Woodlands all the way to Cypress/Katy. 

I will agree about doing it right the first time; prime example is the shitshow that is 249 and 99 right now, why not build the flyovers when originally constructing the road?  Probably budget constraints at the time, but it's a pain.

Also doesn’t have direct access to 45S, you have to exit and deal with 2 lights. Wtf all those people coming from spring/tomball aren’t going north… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...