The Batshit Insane QAnon Conspiracy Theory

Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

I don’t believe my mom is sending anyone money. She has always been a nosy Nancy and digs through facebook and the net to find old people/friends and see what they’re doing. She’s always asking about random people I went to high school with “what is Brian up to?” (I don’t know. I haven’t thought about that guy in 20 yrs).

Same with my mom.  The other day she asked me about somebody I went to high school with and I told her "I don't know, haven't seen him in years" and all the while I'm thinking "What the hell mom?  Do you not remember the funeral?  Did you block that image of me in handcuffs?  Do you not remember me being all over the fucking news for weeks?"

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

People can deflect from that and say, 'oh no, this isn't it at all,' but if one keeps at it from that angle, it can sow a little doubt if one does it with humor...
Otherwise, distract, distract, distract....

Yes. My mom. Sister isn’t a Q believer. My parents are still married. My mom is not the smartest (and that’s ok). My dad has always been a pretty smart guy (UT grad). I don’t think he is a Q believer but when I bring up my mom he scoffs at it. My sister lives around the corner from my parents so she sees them often. I told her this weekend I thought mom is showing signs of dementia. She doesn’t think so. I think she’s too close and or just not open to seeing it.

I don’t believe my mom is sending anyone money. She has always been a nosy Nancy and digs through facebook and the net to find old people/friends and see what they’re doing. She’s always asking about random people I went to high school with “what is Brian up to?” (I don’t know. I haven’t thought about that guy in 20 yrs).

Part of me wants to call her and discuss the last few days and how nothing happened. But I really don’t want to hear any more of this nonsense. I read an article about dealing with family Q and the more I try to show her how wrong she is, the more evil and uninformed she sees me. And I think that’s true. She told my sister recently that I’m just so uninformed about what’s going on in this country, but I have young kids and we’re so busy.

My mom has been addicted to the internet for a handful of years now. She told me about waking up at 2 am and getting online, laying in bed thinking about something/someone so she would get online to figure it out, etc. That, I’m assuming, lead to finding crazy stories that you can find a way to make sound legit. Once one does, then another kind of does and so on.

I posted earlier about how I realized all of this a couple months ago. My sister said it’s been going on for a while.

I could go on about my mom but it’s not worth the time.

Sorry if you'd mentioned this earlier, everything is so chaotic with information coming at a rapid speed that I do have brain fog sometimes.

It's your family and you know them best; they can be challenging sometimes. Good luck to you.

1 minute ago, ultimaton said:

Always bemused by the fact that the same people openly and eagerly calling for “global martial law” and a complete military takeover of our entire communications infrastructure are, by and large, the same people that see being asked to wear a cloth covering over your nose and mouth while in public as the single greatest assault on liberty in human history.

This.  The cognitive dissonance is real.  They don't actually have any real principles as to "liberty" and "the rule of law."  Their sole governing principle is "my deranged team wins."  That's it.  They would be 100% on board with a suspension of the Constitution and all laws, and the creation of a "benevolent MAGA dictatorship," while ranting and raving against de minimis measures like requiring a mask as "the acts of a dictatorship!"  From a human psychology perspective, it's fucking fascinating to watch the complete dissonance.  From a citizen perspective, it's discouraging as hell.  We are so fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  The cognitive dissonance is real.  They don't actually have any real principles as to "liberty" and "the rule of law."  Their sole governing principle is "my deranged team wins."  That's it.  They would be 100% on board with a suspension of the Constitution and all laws, and the creation of a "benevolent MAGA dictatorship," while ranting and raving against de minimis measures like requiring a mask as "the acts of a dictatorship!"  From a human psychology perspective, it's fucking fascinating to watch the complete dissonance.  From a citizen perspective, it's discouraging as hell.  We are so fucked.

It's the Fuck You, Pay Me principal.

20 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Godfather III being re-released is a big deal. This guy said he spent mid-March - September reading thousands of Q Posts and Q videos.  He is a simpleton but he is also representative of a much bigger problem.  

1019799109_ScreenShot2020-12-04at4_40_18PM.thumb.png.64435c8d6796bbdb79a4fecc6233da2f.png

New hobbies, they need them.

I love the coincidences question. IIRC, that was a big part of the two articles posted on here recently; the game theory article and the other conspiracy theories explained one. A coincidence is Godfather III being released on the same day as a oh, military strike or some other event. But to ask the question, "is it a coincidence that Rudy Giuliani is hanging out with the attorneys for a Russian oligarch while he traipses around Ukraine as an unregistered foreign agent asking about a presidential candidate's son in a country that has trouble with corruption by former Russians?" is simply too too much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 10:37 AM, Brisketexan said:

It's all magical thinking insanity.

I work with people in "political leadership."  I grew up with people in "political leadership."  The whole Q-worldview crumbles when it runs up against this simple truth: they're all just people.  They rode their bikes around the neighborhood with the other kids.  They go to the beach.  They eat tacos.  They're just like the rest of us.  Yes, even the ones who went to fancy ivy league schools...many of whom went to regular high schools right here in River City, etc.  They aren't eating pizza made with the blood of children.  Instead, they live lives that look a whole lot like ours.

If you live in a world where every single thing is a sign and a code -- and even those things that DON'T contain a sign or code are proof that everything else IS a sign or code -- you're insane.  Truly, you are not thinking like a rational human being.

Contrary to what we are taught in schools, a great many of our ancestors, especially those from Europe prior to WW2, were not the best and brightest that continent had to offer. They were not generally coming here seeking freedom of thought, but to avoid starvation or to dodge a draft in some King / Czar / Emperor's army. In short, they were the common clay of the Old World...they were, well, you know the rest. Or they were running from some huge disaster, often of their own making.

My own American family comes pretty much exclusively from a north English, Scottish, and Irish combo of ne'er-do-wells and other such "hardy peasant stock." 

And it seems that even after centuries of exposure to education and betterment in their material lives here in America, a great many have nevertheless reverted, in the life of their collective minds, to the moronic peasant thinking of their ancestors. I remember reading of the antics of some of the peasants in one of Dostoevski's novels, a whole army of them roaming the countryside babbling some nonsense about searching for a "warm river" to live on where everything would be vodka and crispy roast potatoes for them for the rest of their lives. They were forever in the grasp of some crazed collective mania founded and passed along amongst these illiterates via word of mouth. 

It seems literacy is not a cure-all for such large-scale idiocy. Merely being able to form together words is only half the battle, or maybe less. It's no cure to magical thinking or peasant superstition, both of which thrive among these hobgoblins bedeviled with just enough information to make them dangerous, if certainly not civilized, educated or even informed on a basic level. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And it seems that even after centuries of exposure to education and betterment in their material lives here in America, a great many have nevertheless reverted, in the life of their collective minds, to the moronic peasant thinking of their ancestors.

Good read. Thanks.

Manufacturing consent is effective. And the players are powerful.

The "peasant mind" you describe comes from two places (imho) - Nostalgia for a time that never was and a never-relenting communication strategy by those whose interests are to preserve the current distribution of the nation's wealth.

The propaganda model for the manufacture of public consent describes five editorially distorting filters, which are applied to the reporting of news in mass communications media. These five filters of editorial bias are:

• Size, ownership, and profit orientation: The dominant mass-media outlets are large profit-based operations, and therefore they must cater to the financial interests of the owners such as corporations and controlling investors. 
  • The advertising license to do business: Since the majority of the revenue of major media outlets derives from advertising (not from sales or subscriptions), advertisers have acquired a "de facto licensing authority." Media outlets are not commercially viable without the support of advertisers. News media must therefore cater to the political prejudices and economic desires of their advertisers. This has weakened the working class press, for example, and also helps explain the attrition in the number of newspapers.
  • Sourcing mass media news: Herman and Chomsky argue that "the large bureaucracies of the powerful subsidize the mass media, and gain special access [to the news], by their contribution to reducing the media's costs of acquiring [...] and producing, news. The large entities that provide this subsidy become 'routine' news sources and have privileged access to the gates. Non-routine sources must struggle for access, and may be ignored by the arbitrary decision of the gatekeepers." 
  • Flak and the enforcers: "Flak" refers to negative responses to a media statement or program (e.g. letters, complaints, lawsuits, or legislative actions). Flak can be expensive to the media, either due to loss of advertising revenue, or due to the costs of legal defense or defense of the media outlet's public image. Flak can be organized by powerful, private influence groups (e.g. think tanks). The prospect of eliciting flak can be a deterrent to the reporting of certain kinds of facts or opinions.
  • Anti-communism/war on terror: Anti-communism was included as a filter in the original 1988 edition of the book, but Chomsky argues that since the end of the Cold War (1945–91) anticommunism was replaced by the "war on terror" as the major social control mechanism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Contrary to what we are taught in schools, a great many of our ancestors, especially those from Europe prior to WW2, were not the best and brightest that continent had to offer. They were not generally coming here seeking freedom of thought, but to avoid starvation or to dodge a draft in some King / Czar / Emperor's army. In short, they were the common clay of the Old World...they were, well, you know the rest. Or they were running from some huge disaster, often of their own making.
My own American family comes pretty much exclusively from a north English, Scottish, and Irish combo of ne'er-do-wells and other such "hardy peasant stock." 
And it seems that even after centuries of exposure to education and betterment in their material lives here in America, a great many have nevertheless reverted, in the life of their collective minds, to the moronic peasant thinking of their ancestors. I remember reading of the antics of some of the peasants in one of Dostoevski's novels, a whole army of them roaming the countryside babbling some nonsense about searching for a "warm river" to live on where everything would be vodka and crispy roast potatoes for them for the rest of their lives. They were forever in the grasp of some crazed collective mania founded and passed along amongst these illiterates via word of mouth. 
It seems literacy is not a cure-all for such large-scale idiocy. Merely being able to form together words is only half the battle, or maybe less. It's no cure to magical thinking or peasant superstition, both of which thrive among these hobgoblins bedeviled with just enough information to make them dangerous, if certainly not civilized, educated or even informed on a basic level. 

155da4dca98d10d1882c8099662ab6fc.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bookman said:

So my Q-anon Trumpkin ex-girlfriend is now openly advocating for Texas secession.

The right leaning folks who scream RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA at Democratic Party members don't seem to understand that the main proponents of the secession platforms are funded by....wait for it....Russia.

Here's some info, not that she or any of them will care about that. It began years ago. Putin and his people are very patient and play the long game. And why not? No matter what, they win.
An excerpt below:

A sprawling Russian disinformation campaign aimed at influencing the 2016 elections found success with social media accounts promoting the idea of Texas secession, according to a report commissioned by the U.S. Senate that was released Monday.

When it came to stirring up social divisions and exerting political influence, two accounts about the Lone Star State proved especially effective: a “Heart of Texas” Facebook page and a @rebeltexas account on Instagram.

Both accounts were created and managed by the Internet Research Agency, a Russian company that’s been characterized by the U.S. government as a “troll farm” and was indicted by a federal grand jury.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/12/17/texas-secession-russia-disinformation-2016-social-media-new-knowledge/

Another one, more recent:

For years, the Texas Nationalist Movement has cultivated ties in Russia, especially among those who’ve received financing directly from the Kremlin.

Now, as ThinkProgress discovered, one of the Texas-based secessionist group’s flags is actually hanging outright in Moscow — highlighting the ongoing questions surrounding their links overseas.

Last week, Alexander Ionov posted a video to his Instagram page, which remains one of his preferred platforms for highlighting his ties to other groups. Ionov runs the Anti-Globalization Movement of Russia, a group that helps organize secession movements across the West, and which has received financing from the Kremlin in the past.

In the video, the Texas Nationalist Movement’s flag can be seen hanging prominently in the office. The caption of the video read, “If your office doesn’t look like this, don’t even call me.”

The Texas Nationalist Movement did not respond to ThinkProgress’s questions, but Ionov said the flag was a “gift.”

The flag highlights the years of strange ties between the Texas-based group and patrons in Moscow. The Texas Nationalist Movement, the leading pro-secession group in Texas, claims that its “mission is to secure and protect the political, cultural and economic independence of the nation of Texas and to restore and protect a constitutional Republic and the inherent rights of the people of Texas.”

But since at least 2015, representatives from the Texas Nationalist Movement have traveled to Russia to stake their case for those in Russia to back their cause.

The Texas Nationalist Movement’s Nathan Smith has led multiple trips to Russia, building links with Ionov’s group along the way. Smith, for instance, represented the Texas Nationalist Movement at a secessionist conference in Moscow in 2016, just a few months before the U.S. presidential election. The website for the far-right Russian Rodina party — a party co-founded by sanctioned Russian official Dmitry Rogozin — even featured Smith on its website during one of his visits. (Other American representatives, including those supposedly backing California independence, also attended the 2016 conference.)

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/texas-nationalist-movement-secession-flag-hanging-moscow-e4c25166a730/

Bunch more stuff at these links:

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RRA704-1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Research_Agency

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/us/politics/russia-disinformation-election-trump.html

https://www.thecipherbrief.com/disinformation-and-the-case-for-a-well-regulated-cyber-militia

https://scholarworks.utep.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3899&context=open_etd

https://www.gq.com/story/alex-gibney-agents-of-chaos-hbo-doc

16 minutes ago, Bookman said:

So my Q-anon Trumpkin ex-girlfriend is now openly advocating for Texas secession.

If she’s Qanon and Trumpkin, and into Texas secession, but mainly the Qanon and secession parts are important here,  I’m going to assume she is white and probably has interesting views on race and religion.

Remind her of a few things:

1. Texas is a minority-majority state, and whites make up only around 40% of the state, and have been, or will be shortly passed up by Hispanics as the largest group in the state.  
  2. The largest religious group in Texas are Catholics.
  3. There is a large Hispanic/Catholic country that borders us to the south, that would welcome a much better and closer relationship with us.   Perhaps even a more open border.

Because I’ve noticed some of these types inevitably have certain views about bringing more religion into the classroom, until they discover Catholics are the largest group, and they realize their Baptist/whatever views on religion would be in the minority and their kids would be getting Catholic versions of religion in the classroom.  Then they backpedal like crazy.   And  some of them are under the mistaken assumption that whites are by far the largest group in Texas, and their thoughts on secession sometimes take a turn down certain roads.  

Now not all of those Qanon/secession/Trumpkin types have those views on race and religion, but my limited anecdotal evidence trends that way.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

What do these secession idiots think will happen if Texas actually secedes?

Seems like that secession shit didn't go so well the last time it happened.

They don't think further than one move ahead.  19D chess or something.  Just like dotard.

Probably the same stupid shit many idiots here failed to consider when they happily want to kick out the red states because they're poor. 

No one thinks past the appealing sound-byte and concept. These morons can't even get to "Lets see how it's working out with Brexit."

One of first thing that happens, I'd guess, is the United States Government talks about Texas's plans to relocate the contents of it's portion of the strategic oil reserve. That would be a fun conversation. 

It can't happen because companies can't let it happen. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably the same stupid shit many idiots here failed to consider when they happily want to kick out the red states because they're poor. 

No one thinks past the appealing sound-byte and concept. These morons can't even get to "Lets see how it's working out with Brexit."

One of first thing that happens, I'd guess, is the United States Government talks about Texas's plans to relocate the contents of it's portion of the strategic oil reserve. That would be a fun conversation. 

It can't happen because companies can't let it happen. 

Even proposing the idea outside the context of a drunken tailgate rant (because those are fun) demonstrates limitless idiocy on the part of the advocate.

We've already tested this approach.  It was rejected by the Civil War.  Since then, society has become much more integrated, as has commerce.  Secession is impossible.  As just one teeny tiny hiccup.....what about the umpteen millions of us in Texas who are American citizens, and intend to stay that way?  An internal violent civil war to determine whether a state even secedes sounds like LOADS of fun.  As citizens, millions of Texans would rightfully call on their country, the United States of America, to protect them from the actions of a rogue state (nation?)  I don't care how many Gravy Seals Texas would have expressing a desire to whoop ass for secession.  The forces already on the ground at Ft. Hood, Ft. Bliss, etc. would be more than sufficient to protect the American citizens and businesses residing in Texas seeking the protection of their country.

Even bringing up the idea is breathtakingly stupid.  

BUT.....the poster about this DID say she had great boobs, so I think we understand.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. It just can't happen. It's even dumber than the conversations I have with people regarding Socialism and Communism creeping into America. It can't happen. Why you ask?

"Can you define Socialism?" (They usually can't, but lets pretend.)
"It's where  a country's government owns/operates various products, production methods, and services on behalf of the people."
"Ok, so in this world where we become socialists, and the government controls everything, what exactly happens to the corporations like Google or Exxon?"
"Well they take control of them of course, EVERYTHING becomes State Owned! It's socialism."
"Ok, so you think that everyone is going to be onboard with the US military storming and taking control of the offices of Apple, Google, BP and Royal Dutch Shell, even though they're global, multi-national corporations, some with main offices in Europe not America, and they legally own resources all over the world. You think we're going to just 'Take' those and there won't be a massive war over it involving literally everyone else on the planet? What about the land/leases someone like Shell owns in the North Sea, or off the coast of Denmark. Who gets that? This all sounds easy and feasible to you?"
"You're a real fucking asshole."
"Yeah, but I'd love it if you could even crudely map out how that works on the back of a napkin."
"Fuck you."
"No mom, fuck you."

look, socialism = my tax money going to help people with more pigment than me; even if it helps me as well.  how can you not understand this very simple concept?  Also it's marxist or marxism or something like that.  basically the same if you ask me and i am American so i'm against both of them.  Why are you for them your fucking commie.  Ah, that reminds me ... communism, I am totally against that as well.  All these synonyms for me not wanting my government to help out people I look down on, who knew, right?  gotta stay frosty and watch yer six, bro.

• Hook 'Em 2

Another problem for the short sighted is that it takes the extremist violence and puts it square into your HOA and NextDoor and they're too busy finding lost pets and dealing with trash cans. The Peyton Place militia ain't got time for secession when someone's labrador is impersonating a mountain lion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

What do these secession idiots think will happen if Texas actually secedes?

They think things will be stable just like they are now, and that there will only be policies that favor them.  No more California liberals.  No more federal agencies keeping drinking water clean.  But that's nothing.

They do not realize that if all of the sudden, federal law enforcement and military suddenly pulled out of Texas, that little wall along the border they fantasize about better go up really fucking fast, and it better be really fucking secure, and they had better get their asses down there to man it, and they had better put together a navy to patrol the Texas coastline, because Greg ain't got enough DPS troopers and National Guard to actually secure that little part of the border.

That would be the immediate problem for Texas.  You'd see a shit-ton of cartel traffic shift from other states shift to our little neck of the woods, backed up by guys who will happily behead any little militias that fuck around and find out.   We will see plenty of little Alamos up and down the border.  And Lord help us if any of our little militias try and start shit with the cartels across the border in Mexican territory, as the Mexican government will then have free rein to do as they please.

That's just for starters.   That's not getting into all of the trade issues we'd find ourselves in with our neighbors and the US as a whole, issues that would drive our costs way up.  Issues that would make those thousandaires in their $180,000 suburban pads start suffering.  They wouldn't be able to afford a new F-150 very few years.  And food costs, hoo boy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They think things will be stable just like they are now, and that there will only be policies that favor them.  No more California liberals.  No more federal agencies keeping drinking water clean.  But that's nothing.

They do not realize that if all of the sudden, federal law enforcement and military suddenly pulled out of Texas, that little wall along the border they fantasize about better go up really fucking fast, and it better be really fucking secure, and they had better get their asses down there to man it, and they had better put together a navy to patrol the Texas coastline, because Greg ain't got enough DPS troopers and National Guard to actually secure that little part of the border.

That would be the immediate problem for Texas.  You'd see a shit-ton of cartel traffic shift from other states shift to our little neck of the woods, backed up by guys who will happily behead any little militias that fuck around and find out.   We will see plenty of little Alamos up and down the border.  And Lord help us if any of our little militias try and start shit with the cartels across the border in Mexican territory, as the Mexican government will then have free rein to do as they please.

That's just for starters.   That's not getting into all of the trade issues we'd find ourselves in with our neighbors and the US as a whole, issues that would drive our costs way up.  Issues that would make those thousandaires in their $180,000 suburban pads start suffering.  They wouldn't be able to afford a new F-150 very few years.  And food costs, hoo boy.

It's all a masturbatory fantasy.  It all starts from the assumption of "if Emily Ratajkowski was my loyal wife who loved having sex with me," and then talking about all the wild and crazy sex you'll be having next weekend.  Yeah, I mean, if your assumption is correct, then sure.

But these guys actually go home to this:

hqdefault.jpg

And she's every bit as delightful as she looks.

So, you know, the whole fantasy thing falls apart.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:26 AM, ultimaton said:

Always bemused by the fact that the same people openly and eagerly calling for “global martial law” and a complete military takeover of our entire communications infrastructure are, by and large, the same people that see being asked to wear a cloth covering over your nose and mouth while in public as the single greatest assault on liberty in human history.

When 'Whatever Trump says!" is your de facto ideology, there are bound to be a few logical missteps and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's all a masturbatory fantasy.  It all starts from the assumption of "if Emily Ratajkowski was my loyal wife who loved having sex with me," and then talking about all the wild and crazy sex you'll be having next weekend.  Yeah, I mean, if your assumption is correct, then sure.

But these guys actually go home to this:

hqdefault.jpg

And she's every bit as delightful as she looks.

So, you know, the whole fantasy thing falls apart.

would/Vic Mackey