Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

People are demanding that we open things back up.

And the response is generally not "no."  It's mostly "you know, we can probably open up a good bit.  Maybe even more than we thought we could a month ago, so long as people wear masks, mostly to protect those around them."

And is the response "that's great!  Let's get America back to work, and of course I'm happy to experience a mild inconvenience to help keep my neighbor safe?"  Nope.  It's...

"FUCK YOU!  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!  FASCIST AUTHORITARIANS!  FREEDOM LIBERTY PATRIOT!"  I mean....why?  Seriously, why?  Why is that how we respond?  That's beyond fucked up.  That's a broken fucking country, people.  We need you to do one really easy thing to get the best of all worlds -- a lot of stuff opened back up, and our neighbors protected from high transmission risk, and we are ready to go to war NOT to do that.  

Which posters here are saying that?

• Like 2

The cloak room has successful defeated Daily Texan.  All hail our new overlord Cloakroom!

With the news of Canada extending the travel ban through June, there are now 6-8 pissed off non-Canadian citizens who cannot get their proper maple syrup.  The rest of Canada is largely unaware a ban ever existed. 

Edited by Enchubben
  • Like 4

Guest Lobo
5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fake News.  I want the names of these 5,000 people to make sure they're still really alive.  How do we know they're not just using the identities of the ~5,000 homeless living in Travis County right now?  

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's great. Wonderful. There's a whole thread for that over in the Cloak Room. Why aren't you posting about it there? The only reason anyone is posting that shit here is because they're looking to pick a fight and there's no one over there to fight with. I'm not here to read about how broken this fucking country is, I know how broken this country is, dude. But the only reason you're ranting about that shit here and not in the politics board is because you're looking to pick some kind of fight or make some kind of statement to people who don't want to hear it. Yet you insist on making your point. You guys have been making it on this thread every day for weeks. But no one can answer the question of why you guys don't have this conversation over in the Cloak Room. I guess the answer is some version of "FUCK YOU!  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!  FASCIST AUTHORITARIANS!  FREEDOM LIBERTY PATRIOT!"

We're having it over in the CR, too.  But man, it seems germane as shit here.  I mean...we're discussing a public health issue.  That naturally means discussing public health preventative/protective measures.  Which leads to discussing failure points in those measures.

And the audience on this thread is MOSTLY educated and relatively rational.  But then again, see the anecdotal observations of many around here that in many places (and yes, there is some cultural/political correlation there), they are seeing very low mask usage.  And it's not like we can't look out in the world, and on the most-watched cable news network, and hear leading voices saying just what I noted -- masks are fascist bullshit.  It's a real-deal problem we have.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Or, we feel about our country the way that we felt about our beloved Longhorns during the McWilliams and Mackovick years.  Hating getting our asses kicked 66-3, and not understanding how people bristle at any criticism of coaching and gametime decisions, doesn't mean hating our team. In fact, it's the exact opposite.  This is our home, it's where we're from, it's where our descendants may live out their lives.  We'd like it to be improving, not declining.  We'd like the dominant social attitude to be one that values your fellow citizens and their well-being as opposed to just "ME MY MINE," because that will help us be a happier, healthier country.  Silly us.

Interesting that you would include yourself in my generalization.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Meh, one of the great things about our country is having the ability to criticize it when warranted. 

Agree. 

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You are confusing hating certain aspects of how things are with hating the entire country, which few, if any here, do.

Its like when aggy gets upset over a story from some media outlet critiquing some aspect of aggy culture, and they spin it into Ye Olde BOMC.

I hate many aspects of our society but there are people on here well beyond that.

50 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The "you hate America" line when you criticize anything about our country is the most bizarre, tired shit. It's the same nationalist load of shit you'd expect in North Korea, not the US. I live here, if I bitch about something it's because I want it to be better, and the whole fucking reason for the first amendment is to specifically allow you to do that without fear of repercussion.

You got a little sensitive about this. I’ve criticized plenty, but that’s ALL some people do. They literally search to find something to bitch about. Maybe they hate life.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Let's make sure this is perfectly COVID related, and also reflects how we've absolutely lost our way.

And the response is generally not "no."  It's mostly "you know, we can probably open up a good bit.  Maybe even more than we thought we could a month ago, so long as people wear masks, mostly to protect those around them."

And is the response "that's great!  Let's get America back to work, and of course I'm happy to experience a mild inconvenience to help keep my neighbor safe?"  Nope.  It's...

"FUCK YOU!  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!  FASCIST AUTHORITARIANS!  FREEDOM LIBERTY PATRIOT!"  I mean....why?  Seriously, why?  Why is that how we respond?  That's beyond fucked up.  That's a broken fucking country, people.  We need you to do one really easy thing to get the best of all worlds -- a lot of stuff opened back up, and our neighbors protected from high transmission risk, and we are ready to go to war NOT to do that.  

It's as if we asked "hey, as you're driving down a Texas road during the summer, please don't flick a lit cigarette out the window, as it could start a fire that destroys thousands of acres and hundreds of homes," and the answer is "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!  IT WILL PROBABLY GO OUT ON ITS OWN.  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!  LIBERTY FREEDOM!"  What the fuck is wrong with us?

maybe you should run for office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm pretty sure most of the people on this thread would be pretty surprised at my political affiliation. Just because I don't want to talk about it here, however, makes me basically Roger Stone apparently. 

I don't think anyone cares what your political affliction is. 

When it comes to COVID - as a nation we have a choice to be the best at it or to do the least and hope it just goes away. You wear a face covering to help others, not to protect yourself, for instance. When we all wear face coverings, we can slow the transmission and life can begin to get back to normal. There will be outbreaks, but with contact tracing we can attack them at the hyper-local level. It's simple. It is what Americans did in WWII. It's not political. It's common sense and decency.

I do not understand the great divide in this nation over how to appropriately act around others during this pandemic. Wear a face covering to protect others. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Practice social distancing. And let the virus peter out. Common sense. Rush it like a gooner-sooner and fail to follow common sense methods and we will see a second wave hitting when the economic wave begins in earnest to batter the nation. The deflationary pressure on the economy is tremendous right now. Deflation is a bitch - a destroyer. Unleash deflation and you have unleashed the Kraken. 

Can we do better - certainly. Always. Is Texas poised at the brink of becoming an economic powerhouse like the nation-state of California. Most definitely. 

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

The cloak room as successful defeated Daily Texan.  All hail our new overlord Cloakroom!

With the news of Canada extending the travel ban through June, there are now 6-8 pissed off non-Canadian citizens who cannot get their proper maple syrup.  The rest of Canada is largely unaware a ban ever existed. 

Oh, maple syrup commerce is definitely still allowed as an essential purpose, because Canada, eh.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Let's make sure this is perfectly COVID related, and also reflects how we've absolutely lost our way.

It's as if we asked "hey, as you're driving down a Texas road during the summer, please don't flick a lit cigarette out the window, as it could start a fire that destroys thousands of acres and hundreds of homes," and the answer is "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!  IT WILL PROBABLY GO OUT ON ITS OWN.  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!  LIBERTY FREEDOM!"  What the fuck is wrong with us?

It’s nothing new that a few assholes try to ruin it for everyone. I don’t believe there’s a large percentage of people reacting in the manner you speak of. That’s just what you choose to focus on.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Bold
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s nothing new that a few assholes ruin it for everyone. I don’t believe there’s a large percentage of people reacting in the manner you speak of. That’s just what you choose to focus on.

If this was a handful of yahoos, you'd be right.  But it's not.  It's between 1/4 and 1/3 of the population, which is enough "non-mask usage" to poke a huge hole in any preventative effect widespread usage could have:

While the refusal to wear masks isn’t an exclusively male phenomenon — a Michigan woman was arrested last month after police said she attacked a grocery store employee who told her to leave because she wasn’t wearing a mask — there is some evidence that men may view mask recommendations with more skepticism than women. In the April Morning Consult poll, 76 percent of women said they planned to wear a face mask in public over the next two weeks, compared with 67 percent of men.

The percentages who do NOT plan to wear a mask -- 24 and 33% -- is pretty damned high.  So, what I'm focusing on isn't made-up -- it's a real-deal, statistically significant problem.  And again....I truly and completely don't fucking get it.  Why? Just...why?

And as a preview, we'll cross the anti-vax bridge when we come to it in the next year as well.  

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're having it over in the CR, too.  But man, it seems germane as shit here.  I mean...we're discussing a public health issue.  That naturally means discussing public health preventative/protective measures.  Which leads to discussing failure points in those measures.

And the audience on this thread is MOSTLY educated and relatively rational.  But then again, see the anecdotal observations of many around here that in many places (and yes, there is some cultural/political correlation there), they are seeing very low mask usage.  And it's not like we can't look out in the world, and on the most-watched cable news network, and hear leading voices saying just what I noted -- masks are fascist bullshit.  It's a real-deal problem we have.

Yeah, it's a real deal problem we have. People are fucking stupid, craven, selfish assholes. If this thing could knock out the deserving drains of the gene pool, it would be more than worth it in my opinion. We agree. Its bad parents, bad morals, and bad actors. There, done. And we didn't even need dozens of pages saying the same this over and over and over again and comparing us to Canada and other places to live. But that's not how this fucking goes. It becomes an impossible slog that defeats the purpose of this thread, which is links and new information. You're not solving the above problem of idiocy, just like you personally aren't solving the problem of the political divide in this country, so spending literally hundreds of fucking pages talking about it, when there's another thread for that, and shitting all the fuck over this thread is maybe something people who CLAIM to be interested in being courteous to other human beings as a basic tenet could, you know, practice that some more in this thread. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your daily livestock update, pork prices continue to flatten out, and we are adding about 10K per day to our packer runs. If we can recover to over 400K by next week it should stop the euthanizing of hogs, and get cutout values back inline with normal, bellies are flattening out as well. We got cattle runs back over 90K for the first time in a couple weeks, if we can get over 100K next week, we will stop the slowing down of ready cattle for the most part. Beef values are holding the peak, but not ready to drop a ton yet. 

thanks for the updates! looks like the meat markets are improving!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I don't think anyone cares what your political affliction is. 

When it comes to COVID - as a nation we have a choice to be the best at it or to do the least and hope it just goes away. You wear a face covering to help others, not to protect yourself, for instance. When we all wear face coverings, we can slow the transmission and life can begin to get back to normal. There will be outbreaks, but with contact tracing we can attack them at the hyper-local level. It's simple. It is what Americans did in WWII. It's not political. It's common sense and decency.

I do not understand the great divide in this nation over how to appropriately act around others during this pandemic. Wear a face covering to protect others. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Practice social distancing. And let the virus peter out. Common sense. Rush it like a gooner-sooner and fail to follow common sense methods and we will see a second wave hitting when the economic wave begins in earnest to batter the nation. The deflationary pressure on the economy is tremendous right now. Deflation is a bitch - a destroyer. Unleash deflation and you have unleashed the Kraken. 

Can we do better - certainly. Always. Is Texas poised at the brink of becoming an economic powerhouse like the nation-state of California. Most definitely. 

That's great. I don't fucking CARE. I don't care about it on this thread. I wear a mask everywhere. I've been social distancing for over 8 weeks now. I treat people I meet with courtesy and respect in every aspect until they prove they don't deserve it. But you know what. There's another fucking thread for that discussion, and it's in the Cloak Room. I want the exact same fucking things you want. Masks. Testing. Competent Leadership. Less morons in the gene pool. But you know what, this isn't where I want to fucking talk about it, and it's not where everyone should be fucking talking about it. Why is this simple fucking concept so hard for you people to understand?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If this was a handful of yahoos, you'd be right.  But it's not.  It's between 1/4 and 1/3 of the population, which is enough "non-mask usage" to poke a huge hole in any preventative effect widespread usage could have:

The percentages who do NOT plan to wear a mask -- 24 and 33% -- is pretty damned high.  So, what I'm focusing on isn't made-up -- it's a real-deal, statistically significant problem.  And again....I truly and completely don't fucking get it.  Why? Just...why?

And as a preview, we'll cross the anti-vax bridge when we come to it in the next year as well.  

24%? 33%? That’s only a few. A minor amount. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There are many reasons, beyond your rant, as to why people make the decisions they do. It’s just easier for you to paint with your broad brush because it fits your narrative. I get it, we all do it from time to time.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

24%? 33%? That’s only a few. A minor amount. 

It's puts us well below the threshold of 80% where analysis seems to show where we'll see real, significant benefit.  So, the percentage of non-usage is material and significant.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's puts us well below the threshold of 80% where analysis seems to show where we'll see real, significant benefit.  So, the percentage of non-usage is material and significant.

Sarcasm. 

55 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So something I don't understand - why is the confirmed case fatality rate so much lower here than the rest of Europe (outside of Germany)? Even our worst state - Michigan, with a CCFR over 9% - is better than the UK, France, Belgium, Italy, and the Netherlands. And even then, the majority of US states (even those with large case numbers like California and Illinois) have better CCFR numbers than even Germany. 

What's the reason? We just lucky? It's not the age of the population. It's not air pollution or air quality (even though I think Europe's reporting on air quality is dubious).

What gives?

I think the USA got a different, less-deadly strain than Europe.

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ya know if you latch on to the comments from the extremes you're going to get your post.  Most people will do what is asked and or required of them to start getting us opened back up for 4th of July weekend and all the mainlanders coming over on the ferry...  As you know America means  business 

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

so per 1point3 

with the caveat that you don't live in NY/NJ the chance of you becoming a confirmed case is about .3%.  the chances of you dying is approx .015%. even lower if you don't live in a nursing home.

Just now, dcar00 said:

so per 1point3 

with the caveat that you don't live in NY/NJ the chance of you becoming a confirmed case is about .3%.  the chances of you dying is approx .015%. even lower if you don't live in a nursing home.

What if you just hit nursing homes to cruise for chicks?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because trust is broken in this country.  

• Like 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

but I thought we got the Europe strain and that is why NE is a shitshow.

I don’t know, but I thought that a bazillion pages ago somebody posted a graphic with the composition of the virus in different parts of the world, the the US had almost nothing in common with Italy, for example. Maybe I got that wrong, or maybe the US got different strains in different parts of the country, deadlier on the east coast, more benign on the west.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

What if you just hit nursing homes to cruise for chicks?

well its higher.  I'm not sure I understand why you asked the question...from what I can tell on this thread you are going to die anyway.  I have put you in the .015% bucket for now.  I'm choosing to be in the 99.985% bucket.

• Like 1

Just now, XYZ said:

I don’t know, but I thought that a bazillion pages ago somebody posted a graphic with the composition of the virus in different parts of the world, the the US had almost nothing in common with Italy, for example. Maybe I got that wrong, or maybe the US got different strains in different parts of the country, deadlier on the east coast, more benign on the west.

fair enough to be honest I think the strain talk is bullshit and a way for people to try to fit numbers...

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

So something I don't understand - why is the confirmed case fatality rate so much lower here than the rest of Europe (outside of Germany)? Even our worst state - Michigan, with a CCFR over 9% - is better than the UK, France, Belgium, Italy, and the Netherlands. And even then, the majority of US states (even those with large case numbers like California and Illinois) have better CCFR numbers than even Germany. 

What's the reason? We just lucky? It's not the age of the population. It's not air pollution or air quality (even though I think Europe's reporting on air quality is dubious).

What gives?

We look at the underlying cause of acute respiratory failure etc...the minute someone goes into respiratory distress we don't throw a vent on them.  There seems to have been a lot of that especially early on in Europe.  We have seen here things like prone positioning can be quite effective.  Ventilators are very stressful on the body/lungs.  Using them earlier then you need to can actually push someone over the cliff who would have otherwise escaped death. 

Edit:  I also mentioned well early in this thread I DO believe we have a less virulent/deadly strain for the most part...

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We look at the underlying cause of acute respiratory failure etc...the minute someone goes into respiratory distress we don't throw a vent on them.  There seems to have been a lot of that especially early on in Europe.  We have seen here things like prone positioning can be quite effective.  Ventilators are very stressful on the body/lungs.  Using them earlier then you need to can actually push someone over the cliff who would have otherwise escaped death. 

we don't smoke as much as europe either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Perhaps we lost our purpose when we defeated the Soviet empire. 

You may be on to something here.  Without a cold war or more active enemy, we've transferred our fear and loathing to a stateless terror entity that happens to also be a brown, religious minority in this country and gone on from there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

You may be on to something here.  Without a cold war or more active enemy, we've transferred our fear and loathing to a stateless terror entity that happens to also be a brown, religious minority in this country and gone on from there.

Nothing against what you said but I had to triple check to make sure I wasn't in CR.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's China now

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Isn't the prone positioning a fairly recent thing? 

Sure dont hear a lot of talk about ventilators anymore. 

Anyone else  ever get the feeling the occupational backgrounds on surly look something like this?
5 physicians, 2 accountants, 3 realtors, couple of small business owners, maybe a dozen tech guys, a military lifer or two, half a dozen construction contractors, couple of teachers, a few unemployed oil barons, a handful of retirees, 4 professional douchebags and around 6,000 lawyers?

Awesome post. Laughed out loud.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away