Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

52 minutes ago, ABSR said:

And he is the crappy guy with the radio.

At least Radio Guy had a clear purpose (to call in the air strikes that inevitably fell on top of his position). This guy on the other hand...

TM-AM-4T.jpg?v-cache=1576924074

• Like 2

1 minute ago, B00M said:

At least Radio Guy had a clear purpose (to call in the air strikes that inevitably fell on top of his position). This guy on the other hand...

TM-AM-4T.jpg?v-cache=1576924074

That dude looks like he's about to drop his weapon and surrender.  Must be from the French version of the product.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

My company provided antibody tests today and two people on my floor tested positive and were sent home immediately. Maybe my understanding is off, but doesn't the test show you had exposure to this thing in the past? This isn't a viral test so that means they do not necessarily have it currently, correct?

yes and yes...but company must FREAK OUT!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

That dude is awfully wordy to say that looking at cases is misleading and we should focus on hospitalizations and deaths, which a lot of people have been saying for quite awhile.

I don't really buy that "it's over" in the US. I haven't looked at any other states but at best Texas has been mostly holding steady and we're seeing an increase this week. The only way it's "over" is if it's basically eradicated before the weather starts getting colder.

Texas is still hiring contact tracers - they wanted 4,000 by July 1, but they've got almost 3,000 and appear to be fine with that based on the caseload.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/05/texas-contact-tracing-workforce-goal/

But Texas officials said Thursday there were roughly 2,900 contact tracers working around the state. Of those, some 1,140 are working for the Texas Department of State Health Services, 1,170 are working for local health departments or their nonprofit and university partners, and about 600 are working for a company recently hired by the state.

Surly missed our calling - we should have formed a call-center company and scooped up this contract

Anger also has been directed at a $295 million, federally funded contract authorized by Texas health officials last month. The contract, awarded to Frisco-based company MTX Group, pays the firm to create a call center and hire up to 1,000 contact tracers. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and a bevy of state lawmakers have criticized state health officials for signing the deal speedily and without their knowledge, leaving them unable to vet whether the company was qualified for the work.

I'm pretty sure we could have hit up fiverr for our contact tracers, and pocketed a huge chunk of that money.

12 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

My company provided antibody tests today and two people on my floor tested positive and were sent home immediately. Maybe my understanding is off, but doesn't the test show you had exposure to this thing in the past? This isn't a viral test so that means they do not necessarily have it currently, correct?

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes and yes...but company must FREAK OUT!!

I don't believe that is entirely true, it may depend on the exact antibody test and what was detected. You can test positive for IgM antibodies, which are developed early on in an infection, and still have an active infection. The presence of IgG antibodies, which develop later, would make active infection less likely.  Basically, an antibody test isn't ideal for knowing whether or not you have an active infection. You can test negative on an antibody test and have an active infection. And you could test positive and also still have an active infection. 

Challenges of IgM antibody testing:

1. Detection of IgM antibodies is often interpreted as an indicator of acute infection. However, false-positive IgM results are common, as a result of cross-reactivity with IgM antibodies to other, closely related microorganisms or other interfering substances. Additionally, IgM antibodies may remain detectable for 2-4 months (or longer) following disease resolution; therefore, a positive IgM result may not necessarily indicate ‘acute’ infection and additional testing (e.g., IgG testing) may be necessary to interpret results.

2. Development of a detectable antibody response for many infections occurs 5-7 days post infection, and therefore, initial IgM test results may be negative if samples are collected prior to antibody development. Additionally, immunosuppressed patients may remain seronegative.

https://www.choosingwisely.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Choosing-Wisely-IgM-Testing-Theel.pdf

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't believe that is entirely true, it may depend on the exact antibody test and what was detected. You can test positive for IgM antibodies, which are developed early on in an infection, and still have an active infection. The presence of IgG antibodies, which develop later, would make active infection less likely.  Basically, an antibody test isn't ideal for knowing whether or not you have an active infection. You can test negative on an antibody test and have an active infection. And you could test positive and also still have an active infection. 

https://www.choosingwisely.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Choosing-Wisely-IgM-Testing-Theel.pdf

Yup, all of this.  The next course of action should have been ordering a swab test to check for an active infection.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

If the test result is accurate it would seem they should stay. Leave it to HR to do the wrong thing, pretty much every time. Well done. 

• Like 1

Let me help with some  analogies:
Do you remember the old meme where there was a Vegan support group flyer posted and then next to it was a picture of a T-Rex, and the T-Rex flyer said carnivores don't need support groups?   Well people with type O are awesome carnivore T-Rex's and all you other blood types need Vegan support meetings.
Or you can think of Type O as the G.I. Joe with the Kung Flu Grip that everyone loved and wanted and the other blood types as the plastic green army men, but with the base broken off so you have to dig his feet into the dirt or sand to get him to stay a little upright.  And he is the crappy guy with the radio.
I'm sure other Type O's can help out as well....

The Blood Type wars, begun they have.

O+ holla!
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bullzak said:

If the test result is accurate it would seem they should stay. Leave it to HR to do the wrong thing, pretty much every time. Well done. 

They did the right thing. They should send the employee home and get them swab tested as soon as possible. See my post and utee94's post above.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Are we seeing a spike in cases as cities open back up ? I'd expect an uptick. I'd also like to think we're better equipped now than. back in March, knowledge and equipment.

Yeah - If in about one week we see a really big spike we may be up shit creek.  But I'm thinking (hoping?) it will be a spike but not one that overwhelms hospitals. 

Also in all that blood type talk, I forgot to reiterate that I am, in fact, amongst the elite, type O, MF's. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah - If in about one week we see a really big spike we may be up shit creek.  But I'm thinking (hoping?) it will be a spike but not one that overwhelms hospitals. 

Also in all that blood type talk, I forgot to reiterate that I am, in fact, amongst the elite, type O, MF's. 

You attribute your mild symptoms to that?

3 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

You attribute your mild symptoms to that?

I do...I actually order blood typing if my patients/friends don't know their type when testing for antibodies.  I have been amazed how often the type O patients had zero/mild symptoms and how many AB had a hell of a time.  

Now I work out daily and am in pretty good shape and young - but I think a major reason I did well was actually blood type.  There's never one reason, as we're finding.

Edited by ChiTownDoc

I'm starting to get the feeling Our response to this covid thing was the equivalent of using an M1Abrams to knock a bee hive off a tree branch.  My neighbor is a nurse, she told me her staff had 22 confirmed cases, all are fine and back to work, mostly providing virtual check ups.

Oh well, i spent memorial day weekend eating crawfish and potluck buffets at the beach with people i just met that day we are all still alive.  

56 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Restaurants in San Marcos are closing down real fast. Large number of cases emerging. Cooks to bouncers. Yay..... Worst part is a central part of the summer lunch program had to close down due to cases in the food prep team. 

Yeah OK narrative pusher 

🤣

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Restaurants in San Marcos are closing down real fast. Large number of cases emerging. Cooks to bouncers. Yay..... Worst part is a central part of the summer lunch program had to close down due to cases in the food prep team. 

Round Rock location and the original Salt Lick closed due to employees testing positive. 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, UTGrad98 said:

So is it A- or AB that has the toughest time ? Because Im A- and I need to know...

A has the toughest time.  

Edit:  previously had AB erroneously...see later post explaining why.  Just didn't want to leave incorrect info up. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

AB has the toughest time. 

Is this from your observation?  Articles I read today are saying Type A is the most likely to contract and have severe symptoms.  One article says AB is also decreased risk to contract covid (although low sample size).  

https://www.livescience.com/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html

In a more recent study of blood type and COVID-19, published online April 11 to medRxiv, scientists looked at 1,559 people tested for SARS-CoV-2 at New York Presbyterian hospital; of those, 682 tested positive. Individuals with A blood types (A-positive and A-negative) were 33% more likely to test positive than other blood types and both O-negative and O-positive blood types were less likely to test positive than other blood groups. (There's a 95% chance that the increase in risk ranges from 7% to 67% more likely.) Though only 68 individuals with an AB blood type were included, the results showed this group was also less likely than others to test positive for COVID-1

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Is this from your observation?  Articles I read today are saying Type A is the most likely to contract and have severe symptoms.  One article says AB is also decreased risk to contract covid (although low sample size).  

https://www.livescience.com/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html

In a more recent study of blood type and COVID-19, published online April 11 to medRxiv, scientists looked at 1,559 people tested for SARS-CoV-2 at New York Presbyterian hospital; of those, 682 tested positive. Individuals with A blood types (A-positive and A-negative) were 33% more likely to test positive than other blood types and both O-negative and O-positive blood types were less likely to test positive than other blood groups. (There's a 95% chance that the increase in risk ranges from 7% to 67% more likely.) Though only 68 individuals with an AB blood type were included, the results showed this group was also less likely than others to test positive for COVID-1

Actually I'm pretty sure you're right - I'll look again but the number of O people that had zero symptoms stuck out most to me.  The truth is all the others are kind of in the same category since I don't really vet 'how sick' when I'm testing people that I didn't actively treat (lots of friends/family).  That's in my informal poll - certainly not saying there was no difference, but I'd believe those articles over my observation 100 times out of 100. 

Edit:  I see how AB worse stuck in my head.  If you see the article I posted to Anastasis, and see the graphic.  Type AB shows the most surface antigens and type O has the least - but this is NOT what determines who does well or struggles with the virus.  The article explains it well.  

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200603/Blood-group-type-may-affect-susceptibility-to-COVID-19-respiratory-failure.aspx

Was wondering where I got that and glad you asked.  You fuckers keep me on my toes.  I need to post on dirtburglars/texags so I can post hammered and not worry about accuracy, facts, and other such bullshit. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Watch the video of the WHO lady talking about asymptomatic spread.  She seemed pretty confident about her answer regarding asymptomatic spread and how they were getting that data from places doing contract tracing.

I need some information that I'm struggling to find and I'm hoping the surl can come through.  I've got an important trip in about 45 days however I've got a newborn at home and wife is concerned about dangers to infants.  The data that I've seen on the CDC about deaths and cases seem to be that the risk to infants is effectively nil.  She is worried about this study (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e4.htm) that ultimately points out 62% of infants ended up hospitalized.    Pediatrician has not been very helpful and is effectively saying 'any risk is too big of a risk'.  

I also have a newborn and a concerned wife.  She works for a hospital group (as an admin, not medical) so has lots of medical contacts.  She asked about this same thing and had a hard time getting an answer at first but according to two docs who bothered to try...

the numbers in this study generally align with what they’d expect, newborns aren’t really getting covid tested in mass so the ones tested are either in the hospital for another reason or symptomatic.  If they are symptomatic and have a fever over 100.4 it’s basically an automatic admission so that number is going to be higher.

again, I’m not a doc and don’t have any idea how reliable this is but figured I’d share and see if the resident medical asshats could confirm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Actually I'm pretty sure you're right - I'll look again but the number of O people that had zero symptoms stuck out most to me.  The truth is all the others are kind of in the same category since I don't really vet 'how sick' when I'm testing people that I didn't actively treat (lots of friends/family).  That's in my informal poll - certainly not saying there was no difference, but I'd believe those articles over my observation 100 times out of 100. 

Edit:  I see how AB worse stuck in my head.  If you see the article I posted to Anastasis, and see the graphic.  Type AB shows the most surface antigens and type O has the least - but this is NOT what determines who does well or struggles with the virus.  The article explains it well.  

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200603/Blood-group-type-may-affect-susceptibility-to-COVID-19-respiratory-failure.aspx

Was wondering where I got that and glad you asked.  You fuckers keep me on my toes.  I need to post on dirtburglars/texags so I can post hammered and not worry about accuracy, facts, and other such bullshit. 

Ha!

Yeah but seriously, don't do this to yourself.  

10 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Individuals with A blood types (A-positive and A-negative) were 33% more likely to test positive than other blood types and both O-negative and O-positive blood types were less likely to test positive than other blood groups. (There's a 95% chance that the increase in risk ranges from 7% to 67% more likely.)

shakeshead.gif

Edited by Anastasis
MOAR pedantry

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Happening in NB too. Lots of restaurant workers testing positive. I'm guessing the Memorial Day crowd had something to do with that. Oh well - we weren't going to hit up any restaurants any time soon anyways so it's not really a big deal to us. But.....

Schlitterbahn is opening back up at 50% capacity - season ticket holders only (which is mostly locals and SA people), reservations and timeslots. I'm curious to see what 50% capacity actually looks like. Unfortunately we will be going soon or my daughter might cut us in our sleep. 

Edited by NorthLoop

The water parks don’t really concern me. I would think you’d be fairly safe there. Hell, it may be the best time ever to go to a water park since it will only be 50%. You’d only have to wait 30 minutes for a ride at Schlitterbahn?

The restaurant thing is a little disconcerting to me. I’m so ready to go sit down and order a meal, but I’m still a little nervous about it. I’m 51 and healthy. I’ve got a few extra lbs on me, but not fat (more like husky). I’d probably be able to shake it off pretty easily if I got the ronas, but I’m not willing to take that chance just yet. It may be another month or so until we feel a little better about restaurants.

The water parks don’t really concern me. I would think you’d be fairly safe there. Hell, it may be the best time ever to go to a water park since it will only be 50%. You’d only have to wait 30 minutes for a ride at Schlitterbahn?

The restaurant thing is a little disconcerting to me. I’m so ready to go sit down and order a meal, but I’m still a little nervous about it. I’m 51 and healthy. I’ve got a few extra lbs on me, but not fat (more like husky). I’d probably be able to shake it off pretty easily if I got the ronas, but I’m not willing to take that chance just yet. It may be another month or so until we feel a little better about restaurants.

With 24k active TX cases out of 29m people, I’d say the odds of you getting it are slim but I’m the same way, lol. Although I did have a patio burger last Thursday because MN restaurants could only serve outdoors...so that helped break the ice.

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Not that this means much but I think of waterparks as disease vectors generally.  They close fairly often due to everything from water parasites to e-coli to fungus, most of it brought in by customers.  

I’m not going to sit inside restaurants either right now, but I would hit the Golden Corral salad bar without the sneeze guard before setting foot in the waterpark at FiestaTexas. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not that this means much but I think of waterparks as disease vectors generally.  They close fairly often due to everything from water parasites to e-coli to fungus, most of it brought in by customers.  

I’m not going to sit inside restaurants either right now, but I would hit the Golden Corral salad bar without the sneeze guard before setting foot in the waterpark at FiestaTexas. 

Damn.

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This seems counter to most of what we know, though. The virus is something like 20x more likely to spread indoors than out. Heat, wind, and humidity all get rid of it really quickly. And presumably the chlorinated water would do some work on the virus as well.

I've been pretty cautious overall, still haven't been to a grocery store or restaurant, but I'd probably feel relatively okay at a water park as long as I could maintain a few feet between me and the other people in line. Not a chance in hell I'd go into a Golden Corral. That's crazy talk.

I wouldn't have gone into a Golden Corral prior to Covid, though. The last time I went there was in middle school. I went to Porter, which is now Ann Richards, right by the disgusting ass Golden Corral on Lamar and Ben White. That place has to be the nastiest restaurant in Austin, both in food quality and clientele.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This seems counter to most of what we know, though. The virus is something like 20x more likely to spread indoors than out. Heat, wind, and humidity all get rid of it really quickly. And presumably the chlorinated water would do some work on the virus as well.

I've been pretty cautious overall, still haven't been to a grocery store or restaurant, but I'd probably feel relatively okay at a water park as long as I could maintain a few feet between me and the other people in line. Not a chance in hell I'd go into a Golden Corral. That's crazy talk.

I wouldn't have gone into a Golden Corral prior to Covid, though. The last time I went there was in middle school. I went to Porter, which is now Ann Richards, right by the disgusting ass Golden Corral on Lamar and Ben White. That place has to be the nastiest restaurant in Austin, both in food quality and clientele.

Let me be clearer.  No chance in hell I’d go either place, COVID or not.  But what I meant was this- if I set foot in a water park (and I worked at WaterWorld way back), I am already assuming a crazy number of disease risks aside from COVID.  I am not effectively sharing bathwater with 20,000 strangers. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away