Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

BREAKING NEWS: Popeyes had suspended delivery fees for orders through their app.

Does the driver cuss you out and throw your order at you? Because if not, the experience just isn't the same.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And they’d be yelling at you to stay the fuck home like many are doing with our elderly parents.

Y’all think toddlers are bad - try having a daughter who’s a senior staring down the barrel of no prom, no Senior Night, no Senior Week, no baccalaureate, and possibly no graduation.

I told her she may not have to worry about any of it because I’m about to lock her in the backyard if she doesn’t stop crying. Ain’t shit we can do about it.

I’m sorry you’re going through that.  Sometimes it’s all ‘who has it hardest with parenting.  To that end at least your daughter can feed herself, isn’t potty training, won’t come crashing into your room at 6am, and hopefully doesn’t throw a screaming fit because her brother put his shirt on before her.  

Tell her that everyone who peaks in high school and she can get her tits felt up in the dark at college as many times as she wants 

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

She seems to think right now UT Houston is Texas' premier medical campus. I can't imagine it competing with Southwestern

Correct 

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/university-of-texas-southwestern-medical-center-at-dallas-04116

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/the-university-of-texas-health-science-center-at-houston-04113

I mean no rankings are perfect but they are obviously in different tiers. 

57 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We can discuss actions without bitching about those actions. At least, most of us can.

It’s pathological for some of these guys including the one you referenced. They have to fucking let you know and if you didn’t hear them or “get it” the 4th or 5th time they told you? God dammit you are going to hear it again until it sinks in, motherfucker. Muh politics gotta get discussed!

Of course, we’ve finally reached the point here where people are openly wishing death on large tranches of people across the country. It was inevitable, but it took longer than I’d figured. I’m waiting for the blend. Some sort of poster ascending from just one of these subjects into both. I assume we’re within 24 hours of witnessing that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Deaths appear to have peaked on Sunday. I believe it went from 369 to 348, doing it from memory not doublechecking. So I can't say exactly the number of days since lockdown, there were two "lockdowns", the second one being the full deal, and the lockdown was different and earlier in Lombardy, where most of the deaths and stress on hospital resources have occurred.

Except Dr. John Campbell had a report yesterday that in one town they were stacking bodies in a church because the morgue was full. There are also many people dying without going to a hospital or otherwise being diagnosed. 

In short, Italy can no longer accurately track the number of deaths. 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Three is the worst, man. The worst. Terrible twos is such an awful phrase because it tricks parents into thinking the coast is clear once the kid turns three.

They start gaining a sense of independence without a single skill to accomplish the task they wish to do and are willing to fight to the death for. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And they’d be yelling at you to stay the fuck home like many are doing with our elderly parents.

Y’all think toddlers are bad - try having a daughter who’s a senior staring down the barrel of no prom, no Senior Night, no Senior Week, no baccalaureate, and possibly no graduation.

I told her she may not have to worry about any of it because I’m about to lock her in the backyard if she doesn’t stop crying. Ain’t shit we can do about it.

that is my situation exactly. And it is just the two of us. But she is taking it as easy as she can. I am very proud of her. 

I went to Restaurant Depot today and bought shit like I’m a restaurant owner.  Easy lines, easy shopping.  With 50lbs of rice, 150lbs chicken, etc., I can help my neighbors if they need it.  I bought like a shelter in place situation is coming, if not, I save money over the year by not having to buy shit.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Similar situation here. I've mentioned my son on this thread several times for lacking the ability to stay home. Last night he was complaining about losing out on all Senior activities not to mention his baseball season being canceled.

Biggest problem is keeping him away from his girlfriend. Might need to break his legs because at that age they are like magnets.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

What the fuck have people been doing for the last 2-3 weeks then

fuck em i guess

i know it's hard to believe, but some people live paycheck to paycheck.  crazy right?

Lena Hidlago, Harris County judge, just orders all Harris County restaurants closed for "dine in" service. Take out and delivery only.  Bars and clubs closed. 

Rut roh. 

This is going to put hundreds of places out of business. It’s gut wrenching.

1 minute ago, Hmmm said:

i know it's hard to believe, but some people live paycheck to paycheck.  crazy right?

This. A lot of people simply do not have the means to drop money on a couple of weeks worth of groceries, forget about stocking up for a month.

15 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

Until there is widespread testing these mortality rates are all suspect.  We have no clue how many people have gotten virus.

agreed. Italy is at around 7...not counting the likely tens or hundreds of THOUSANDS that have been sent home to fight it without a test

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

Would you say we are following the U.K. strategy as opposed to the South Korean strategy?

UK is behind the US as far as I know. We started the shutdown Wednesday night and within 4 days we're looking at big city, and statewide shutdowns. Minnesota just announced it starting tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ummmm grocery stores are not prepared to handle a mad rush for groceries with every person getting more than they need. They are designed for light shopping for a week at a time. I literally have not seen bread stocked up in any store I go to for over a week now. If you are not there right when they stock it, you are shit out of luck. And many people can't afford to shop for food for weeks to months at a time. I get I am on Surly and everyone here makes 8 figures a month but most do not live that way.

And who is to say how long this lasts. You might have shopped for 2-3 weeks and it ends up being 8. 

Actually, it's even worse than that.  Even CostCo etc who are designed for A LOT of people to buy A LOT of shit are having trouble.  It's all the panic buying, hell I have a couple colleagues who are psychiatrists and they have been on the news talking about anxiety/panic as much as the ID guys have been on speaking about COVID.  

People are also morons.  My wife gets 5 lbs of chicken yesterday which lasts us about a week.  The butcher made it clear there was no shortage...yet the lady behind her goes off about rationing etc.  I show up and ask her wtf was going on.  Her and her pussywhipped husband quickly walk off.  Fucking idiots. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Deej said:

Does the driver cuss you out and throw your order at you? Because if not, the experience just isn't the same.

You need to strategically select which items you don't want in order to maximize the chances of actually getting the right item.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Except Dr. John Campbell had a report yesterday that in one town they were stacking bodies in a church because the morgue was full. There are also many people dying without going to a hospital or otherwise being diagnosed. 

Unsubstantiated 

• Fuck You 2

32 minutes ago, RayDog said:

He also describes at 48 seconds Manila being in a state of "calamity". Is that true? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMXekRVnHo

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

agreed. Italy is at around 7...not counting the likely tens or hundreds of THOUSANDS that have been sent home to fight it without a test

its basically an overall numbers game at this point.  no percentage is going to be very accurate at this point.

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

This. A lot of people simply do not have the means to drop money on a couple of weeks worth of groceries, forget about stocking up for a month.

I just had to tell all the operators at my plant no more OT working on another shift. If we get a positive test, the entire crew will have to be quarantined (4 rotating crews, so 25% of manpower). If someone on a shift that test positive we’re to have also worked OT on another shift, both shifts go to quarantine. Id guess over 40% live paycheck to paycheck, and most of them rely on a day or 2 of OT per pay period.  

On top of that, quite a few of them are having to spend more on daycare, as generally both parents work. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s pathological for some of these guys including the one you referenced. They have to fucking let you know and if you didn’t hear them or “get it” the 4th or 5th time they told you? God dammit you are going to hear it again until it sinks in, motherfucker. Muh politics gotta get discussed!

Of course, we’ve finally reached the point here where people are openly wishing death on large tranches of people across the country. It was inevitable, but it took longer than I’d figured. I’m waiting for the blend. Some sort of poster ascending from just one of these subjects into both. I assume we’re within 24 hours of witnessing that. 

I really don't appreciate more words being put in my mouth.

I'm not nor have I ever wished death or illness on anyone. But you fuckers sure do enjoy dogpiling on me for expecting the authorities to do the right thing, and calling it out when they fail to do so

I'm not discussing politics. I'm discussing how the people we put in charge to protect us are completely failing to protect the public interest, and have actively worked to the contrary. 

It's fucking pathological to dismiss all of the inaction and sweep it aside, and then act like there was nothing we could have done. Sorry that I'm trying to talk about the entire issue, and how public health may be impacted in two weeks because of today's events, but fuck you, I haven't been bringing politics into this. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

What do statements like this accomplish. Is there a number that is ‘good’ in your mind?

Fuck off.

1) It's current information

'2) The UK is taking a decidedly different approach from the U.S.  Apparently the results are not the same.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akhornfan said:

Where are the numbers on US deaths yesterday/today?  I’m seeing BNO reporting  6, but 4 of those were from previous days. 

is there a better source going now?

just started looking at the NY times map a few min ago... 

4,312 cases of coronavirus confirmed by lab tests and 79 deaths, according to a New York Times database.

we're creeping up in deaths but not seeing many 20-30 deaths per day...yet

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

just started looking at the NY times map a few min ago... 

4,312 cases of coronavirus confirmed by lab tests and 79 deaths, according to a New York Times database.

we're creeping up in deaths but not seeing many 20-30 deaths per day...yet

We’ve had 18 deaths so far today and still have 5.5 hrs to go. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I really don't appreciate more words being put in my mouth.

I'm not nor have I ever wished death or illness on anyone. But you fuckers sure do enjoy dogpiling on me for expecting the authorities to do the right thing, and calling it out when they fail to do so

I'm not discussing politics. I'm discussing how the people we put in charge to protect us are completely failing to protect the public interest, and have actively worked to the contrary. 

It's fucking pathological to dismiss all of the inaction and sweep it aside, and then act like there was nothing we could have done. Sorry that I'm trying to talk about the entire issue, and how public health may be impacted in two weeks because of today's events, but fuck you, I haven't been bringing politics into this. 

nobody is going to know if they failed or not for a while yet.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away