Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am having to turn down lots of women needing money, as I can't afford to help them all. I have stopped having sex with random women I see on the street and even waved off my regulars to reduce my exposure

These are an amazing couple of sentences.

Edited by Biff Tannen
language is hard
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

What does everyone think about small gatherings? Some friends invited us to dinner tonight... Combined, the 2 families would have fewer than 10, and they assure us they've all been indoors since Friday. Other friends invited my son over. I haven't seen any guidance about really small gatherings.

If neither your family nor your friends are likely to come into contact with folks who are immunocomprised, I say fuck it, enjoy some social time, and if you all happen to catch it, odds are decent you eventually would, so good to get it over with. I understand that may sound cavalier to some.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is the coronavirus thread. The government's response to the viral outbreak is pretty fucking central to the discussion of it as a topic, my dude. I can appreciate and respect keeping parties, name calling, and personal attacks out of the thread, but you cannot remove the actions of the government from any sort of informed and knowledgable discussion on coronavirus in the US.

Otherwise, this thread is just people asking where there's toilet paper and posting their quarantine cocktails. Which is nice don't get me wrong, but it's actively ignoring the most significant factor to how many people die or not when you ignore the actions of the federal government in this.

We can discuss actions without bitching about those actions. At least, most of us can.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am having to turn down lots of women needing money, as I can't afford to help them all. I have stopped having sex with random women I see on the street and even waved off my regulars to reduce my exposure. The bars are shut down and they stopped letting restaurants serve alcohol as all the drunks started going to restaurants instead. It is going to be boring for a while. 

We all have to sacrifice.   

• Haha 1

Effective March 16, 2020, the Supreme Court of Virginia has issued an Order and declared a judicial emergency for all district and circuit courts of the Commonwealth “to protect the health and safety of court employees, litigants, judges, and the general public.”  The Order shall be in effect from March 16, 2020 to April 6, 2020.

If you have pending litigation matters, statute of limitations to file litigation matters, or other litigation-related matters, contact an attorney to consider how this Judicial Emergency impacts you or your business.

The Order provides, in relevant part, that Non-Essential, Non-Emergency court proceedings in all circuit and district courts are suspended and all deadlines are tolled and extended for a period of twenty-one (21) days and that all circuit and district courts shall implement the following measures, including continuing all civil, traffic and criminal matters, including jury trials, subject to a defendant’s right to a speedy trial, with the exception of emergency matters, including but not limited to, quarantine or isolation matters, arraignments, bail reviews, protective order cases, emergency child custody or protection cases, and civil commitment hearings. Judges may exercise their discretion with regard to proceeding with ongoing jury trials, and in cases where the defendant is incarcerated.”

The full Order can be found here: http://www.courts.state.va.us/2020_0316_scv_order_declaration_of_judicial_emergency.pdf

If you would like any further information/assistance on the topics discussed herein, please contact Andy Baxter, the Chair of General Counsel, P.C.'s Litigation Department at 703-556-0411 or abaxter@gcpc.com.

What does everyone think about small gatherings? Some friends invited us to dinner tonight... Combined, the 2 families would have fewer than 10, and they assure us they've all been indoors since Friday. Other friends invited my son over. I haven't seen any guidance about really small gatherings.
Unless that family guaranteed me that they'd all been exposed only to themselves for the last 14 days and no one has symptoms in that time, I personally wouldn't do it.

We've had discussions in our family about who we'd be ok seeing as time passes with this, and the list is pretty darn short. I'd basically need to know that whoever we're seeing is being equally cautious about exposure, and that the people they're exposing themselves to are all being equally cautious as well. At some point that's hard to know with any confidence.

It's great if you isolate yourself from all but like 3 families, but if one of the three families has a kid that went to crowded bday party and a mall last week, you might as well have gone to those places, too.

Yes, I'm on the extreme end of this and in the "I'm going to do everything in my power not to be in the % of the country that catches this" boat. I don't want the sickness, the potential long term side effects, or the risk to those around me. There's not much change to day to day life that isn't worth making for a few months to try to avoid this for me.
  • Like 2

If neither your family nor your friends are likely to come into contact with folks who are immunocomprised, I say fuck it, enjoy some social time, and if you all happen to catch it, odds are decent you eventually would, so good to get it over with. I understand that may sound cavalier to some.
I want to stay in, wife wants to go, kids want to go. So we're going to go, keep our distance, and keep it short. I've told her this can't become a regular thing.

Unless that family guaranteed me that they'd all been exposed only to themselves for the last 14 days and no one has symptoms in that time, I personally wouldn't do it.

We've had discussions in our family about who we'd be ok seeing as time passes with this, and the list is pretty darn short. I'd basically need to know that whoever we're seeing is being equally cautious about exposure, and that the people they're exposing themselves to are all being equally cautious as well. At some point that's hard to know with any confidence.

It's great if you isolate yourself from all but like 3 families, but if one of the three families has a kid that went to crowded bday party and a mall last week, you might as well have gone to those places, too.

Yes, I'm on the extreme end of this and in the "I'm going to do everything in my power not to be in the % of the country that catches this" boat. I don't want the sickness, the potential long term side effects, or the risk to those around me. There's not much change to day to day life that isn't worth making for a few months to try to avoid this for me.
Agreed. But you know my situation.
  • Like 1

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

I just want to see my kids.  My daughter is a teacher and is staying away for two weeks because students.

My son is in California for two weeks on a project for my company.  He's already said he'll stay away for an additonal two weeks after he returns.

I just want to hug my kids.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I want to stay in, wife wants to go, kids want to go. So we're going to go, keep our distance, and keep it short. I've told her this can't become a regular thing.

Haven't been married long, have you?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

since I made the post about what should CDC/Govt do, I want to clarify that it was more of a process question given the timeline we know.

I admit it was the wrong thread.  this should be the medical thread only or updates on what the fed/state/local govts are advising..

back to your original CV19 No politics programming.

Edited by dcar00

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's fair.  I'm also looking through the lens of a guy who's already caught and recovered from a wicked virus, CV or otherwise, and who's basically been under house arrest since Friday morning with no kids or other company.  I'm starved for social interaction.  So I might not be the best counselor on this particular matter right now.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Didn't I read that some scientists think there's a chance this causes long-term lung damage?

Don't. I know it's hard but the only thing that's going to be really successful is a paradigm shift.

Even if they've not left home since Friday, that's three days. The median time to show symptoms is five. It can be two weeks. This virus really isn't impacting kids very much - they could very well be carriers and you'd have no idea. You or the other parents could be too. You just don't know right now.

Is the risk lower than a crowded public space? Sure. But if anyone in this group has been exposed, you're all together in a small dinner setting, or the kids are chillin together for hours... Yeah.

I understand the temptation, but social distancing is pointless if we're just moving social gatherings inside.

I do think it'd be fair to reevaluate next weekend if you've all been good about distancing. The risk in that scenario is pretty low, though I still wouldn't have a dinner for 10 or have a kids play date (just bc they touch each other so damn much).

4 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I have two little kids and read something about how young kids won't likely remember much about the details of coronavirus, but they may remember what your house was like over these months. That's really the thing that's rallying my family right now, is we're committed to making this something that when our kids learn about later in life, they'll say they had no idea how bad things were or the stress we were under at the time. Sometimes it's easier to hold it together for someone else than for yourself.

As of this morning and finishing some errands (doctors appointments), we have told the kids they are going to be somewhat physically cut off from other people for the next three weeks at least.  We are planning on lots of FaceTime chatting with their friends and relatives,, taking them to the parks, bicycling, etc. and sticking to a classroom schedule of sorts.   So hopefully that’s what they will remember.  

Wife and I having been through hurricanes in Houston, and me having been through blizzards, it’s a weird feeling since we won’t lose power or anything like that.  

• Like 1

I'd say still do the small interactions.  In homes with one other family isn't much exposure.  The large public gatherings are way important to curtail than going to Joe's house for dinner.

Just make sure you have hazmat gear and a bucket of disinfectant.

I just want to see my kids.  My daughter is a teacher and is staying away for two weeks because students.
My son is in California for two weeks on a project for my company.  He's already said he'll stay away for an additonal two weeks after he returns.
I'd be the same. Mine are both young and at home, so I don't have to make that call. If they weren't, I'd probably see them regardless of risk.

27 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am doing fine except I lost my patience with a couple Trumpers who are still convinced this is a hoax or just a flu. There are lots of Darwin award candidates. I don't  have any symptoms yet. Angeles city has stopped letting people in, and they are contact tracing and testing, so they are trying to do the right things to slow the spread. There are 142 cases in the Philippines so they are still 10 days behind the US. People in Manila are not taking it seriously, so I am sure it is spreading rapidly there. I am not sure how bad it is in Angeles. 

I am having to turn down lots of women needing money, as I can't afford to help them all. I have stopped having sex with random women I see on the street and even waved off my regulars to reduce my exposure. The bars are shut down and they stopped letting restaurants serve alcohol as all the drunks started going to restaurants instead. It is going to be boring for a while. 

Whores need a bailout, too, am I right?

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I’m a elementary campus administrator in AISD. They have basically told us to stay tuned for more direction. While the email said that teachers will receive direct communication from their principal, campus administrators are still waiting for direction from the district. Principals are under the impression that they will be receiving specific instructions from the district, not making their own plan. They will likely be used to train staff on the district plan, communicate with parents, and figure out logistics, especially at title 1 schools. 

Wife taught for many years and is still in education.  She said a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that this could screw up a lot of kids in Title I schools, that it could put them behind the curve for starting next year, which will have serious repercussions going forward   

And here I’m bitching that my kids may get bored, even though she has academic plans for them for three weeks, while those parents are struggling.with figuring out how to take care of them.   

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Damn some of yall are dumb as fuck

stay the fuck home, unless youre a fucking healthcare provider

dont even bother going to the grocery store at this point. Its too late. Youll basically catch corona getting in and out of there

🙄

16 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I hear you, I have one in college who has elected to stay in his shared house to complete the semester on-line, and was hoping to finalize an internship or working on a research project (I think in @phdhorn s field, but he disappeared so I can't touch base with him)

one who graduated, but moved back home to figure things out - probably good that she didn't move as she'd be horrible at this on her own

Obviously one in Iraq with other issues - but his wife is here and trying to hunker down with her kids, so we don't see them much

and my oldest had her 3rd child a couple of months ago and has asked for all vistors to stay away, as they are self-quarantining - so we drop stuff off that they need in their garage.

I feel the just wanting a hug from the kid, and grandkids - good luck man, stay strong

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away