Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I really wish HEB would setup a web cam for their stores so people can see if there is a line or not. That way people can monitor it to see when the best time to go would be.

I went to Costco yesterday around 1:00. I waltzed right in with a freshly wiped down cart (thanks Costco). I was in there about a half hour.  They had pretty much everything except toilet paper, and disinfectant wipes.

When I came out, the line to get in was about 25 deep, and looked longer cause everyone had a cart.  It probably moved along pretty quickly though (5- 10 minute wait at the most).

Just now, Newdoc said:

If you are not a medical professional please stop posting your “fixes” to a Covid Virus infection unless you have cited proof. Not some half ass small sample non blind study that hasn’t been replicated. Conjecturing about off label treatments for other medications is fair.

And please don’t tell us you’re convinced you have Covid if you haven’t been formally diagnosed. I have been involved in personally testing dozens of people and the vast majority with URI symptoms are still testing negative for now. So chances are your headache and sore throat isn’t Covid.

So fapping hourly won't stem the spread ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Correct

quarantining for 2 weeks would be worse than 3-4 weeks. Sure it would “flatten the curve” slightly, but it would ultimately do very little to stop the spread

I've been expecting months. We're not going to fix hospital capacity issues in 4-5 weeks. As soon as you go back to normal, there will be another overwhelming spike. 

3 hours ago, BNB said:

Saw this interview last night. Sounds promising.

She was talking to another Dr. And they said they gave it to one patient that was pretty bad off and they were started feeling better right away, like some kind of miracle tonic.

Leonx Hill Hospital Oncologiest (top grade place in the city): 100 patients, many arrive in respiratory distress, using the salt, 0 deaths so far.  Said supplies running low.  This was aired before the Bayer donation announcement.

24 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
4 hours ago, Shaddie said:
Just woke up. Email from California office says Cali governor announced stay home lockdown. Effective midnight. 

Except my flight to LAX is a go this afternoon. Layover with no food then fly to Cancun in the morning because spring break must go on. Someone needs to show some leadership and shut this shit down.

Time for the pilots to go on strike.

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

If you are not a medical professional please stop posting your “fixes” to a Covid Virus infection unless you have cited proof. Not some half ass small sample non blind study that hasn’t been replicated. Conjecturing about off label treatments for other medications is fair.

And please don’t tell us you’re convinced you have Covid if you haven’t been formally diagnosed. I have been involved in personally testing dozens of people and the vast majority with URI symptoms are still testing negative for now. So chances are your headache and sore throat isn’t Covid.

Can we just have this post auto repeat 3 times very page, please?

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I feel much better this morning.  Yesterday when the sypmtoms hit I did the following:

Buplerum Root 30 drops per day  (3cl Protease) Inhibitor

Indigo Root 25 drops (3cl Protease)

Isatis Root & Leaf extract (1000 mg) protease

Myricetin (600 mg) helicase

Lots of lemon water (actual squeezed lemon) protease inhibitor

Hyudata Water Extract 20 drops (polymerase inhibitor)

Emergen C 1000mg

As I said I feel much much better.  Weird sleep but good.

If I had to rate this, I would say the headache compared to caffeine withdrawal, sore throat to allergies/strep, and fatigue to completing a 5-10k run.

Sister in law is still in bed going on 4th day.  Should go to doctor but stubborn.  I am relatively healthy and broke the Flu A fever in 3-4 days a month ago.  I am not 100% as the above symptoms still persist but are much less severe.  Overall this is a 3 out of 10 because of headache and sore throat.  I would rate a common cold at a 1.  Flu A at a 6 and passing a gall stone at a 10.  I have passed too many to count.  I have low HDL cholesterol which is a genetic deal so I have to boost the HDL which I have been doing and the stones have gone away.  I will be passing my hippie herbs to my elderly parents tomorrow because I doubt I will still need them.  They probably won't take them because they are stubborn mules.

Other than the C where did you get all of that stuff?

Went to HEB just now to grab a few things, when they opened at 8am at Oltorf/Congress,  Lines wrapped around the building, so I left.  I will just try curbside or delivery.
Should have taken a pic, just just wanted to go to the convenient store get some beer and go home

Curbside/delivery is 7-10 days out currently. Good luck

3/20 Update:

We overshot cases and deaths for the third day in a row.

10-day Infectivity: 0.35;  5-day: 0.36

Deaths: 10-day: 0.23; 5-day: 0.29

Today's O/U: 18,340 total cases and 275 deaths

Growth of deaths seems to be approaching the overall infection rate.  That would mean the issue is not that we are ramping up testing, but that we've been lucky to not see many deaths up to this point.  I hope I am wrong, but that's what the numbers say, atm.

If we are starting to curtail this thing it's simply not showing up.  I'm highly skeptical that the average incubation period is longer than a week, so I hope we see something in the data soon.  A minor reduction now makes a big difference to what this looks like in a month.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Curbside/delivery is 7-10 days out currently. Good luck

Talk about job security in these troubling times. Bag boy, curbside delivery agent at most national grocery store chains nationwide.... and all the 2 day past sellable dairy and bread products you can eat.

9 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Teva to Donate Potential COVID-19 Treatment, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate Tablets to Hospitals Nationwide

Teva will donate 6 Million tablets through wholesalers to hospitals by March 31, and more than 10 Million within a month

TEL AVIV, Israel & PARSIPPANY, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) announced today the immediate donation of more than 6 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate tablets through wholesalers to hospitals across the U.S. to meet the urgent demand for the medicine as an investigational target to treat COVID-19. The company is also looking at additional ways to address the global need.

https://www.tevausa.com/news-and-media/press-releases/teva-to-donate-potential-covid-19-treatment-hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-tablets-to-hospitals-nationwide-/

They're also going to donate 6 million bad dad sandals.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

SK likely used cell data in addition to contact tracing.  The Israelis announced they are going to use their cell data from the ISI.

Yea, SK has been all over using cell data to not only trace, but alert the population as well.  They geotrack and warn people when they get near a location where someone is infected.  

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This would suuuuuuck.  The only thing keeping me sane at this point it's being able to go outside, run, take the kids/ dog on a walk.  I was hoping to take bike out this weekend.

You can still go outside under this order. In fact, they are actively encouraging walking, jogging, biking, etc.

Ha, my son just received this email from his student loan servicing company:

Sir/Madam, we're here if you need us.

We think it's important for you to know that Navient is monitoring the news and staying abreast of the changing developments with COVID-19 (coronavirus). We want to assure you that the health and safety of our customers and employees is our top priority.

Should we experience any interruptions in service, we'll immediately post updates online at Navient.com/COVID-19.

If you experience difficulty making payments, visit us online and review the Repayment Options section for lowering or temporarily postponing payments.

Keeping our commitment to serve you during this unfolding situation is our focus. Please visit Navient.com for any additional updates.

Thank you.

Good to know that Navient will be open to take your money while you are at home and unable to work and make money.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lotta stuff coming out of china the last 48 hrs about hospital lines ramping back up and more people getting sick... especially outside of Hubei containment zone

Please show your work on this one.

Hang Seng closed up 5% today.  NFW that happens if "lines ramping back up" anywhere in China.

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, SK has been all over using cell data to not only trace, but alert the population as well.  They geotrack and warn people when they get near a location where someone is infected.  

How many americans would freak the fuck out if the boys rolled full big brother right now?

32 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I really wish HEB would setup a web cam for their stores so people can see if there is a line or not. That way people can monitor it to see when the best time to go would be.

Go to Google Maps and do a search on HEB. Once the locations nearest you show up, click the icon for whichever one you want to go to.

On the left side of your screen, an info box should pop up and, within that, you'll see a blue bar chart showing how busy they typically are by hour. Then, there will be a transparent red bar over the current time which indicates how much more busy it is than normal.

38 minutes ago, BNB said:

Went to HEB just now to grab a few things, when they opened at 8am at Oltorf/Congress,  Lines wrapped around the building, so I left.  I will just try curbside or delivery.

Should have taken a pic, just just wanted to go to the convenient store get some beer and go home :)

After I saw your message I did a drive by recon of two Austin HEBs:  Far West and Allandale.  Both had longs lines to get in, but the parking lots were not full.  They must be limiting the number of people in the store at once. 

At Far West, I counted six delivery trucks waiting in line to unload, looked like Normandy on D-Day.

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m wondering as well. Splitting lines is easy, but you need to do some actual mechanical changes to get it moving 9x the air volume per stroke. More travel?  Larger diaphragm?

You just turn the ventilator up to 11.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the real question for the day is packaging.

paper

cardboard

plastic

styrofoam

what is the reality for each.  i have seen wildly divergent takes.

also, the ingress process.  how do you get your food in your house and in your fridge or the oven or the microwave.

finally, the fridge.  how long can the fucker live on any of the above packaging if re-wrapped in plastic bags and placed in the fridge.  what about the freezer?  does it kill the fucker?  can it live when frozen?

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

How many americans would freak the fuck out if the boys rolled full big brother right now?

They would flip, ignoring the fact that google, apple, etc are doing it all the time.  Im sure google could absolutely extrapolate covid pockets based on search trends, movement patterns, and purchases if someone asked them to.  

1 minute ago, Shaggybevo said:

After I saw your message I did a drive by recon of two Austin HEBs:  Far West and Allandale.  Both had longs lines to get in, but the parking lots were not full.  They must be limiting the number of people in the store at once. 

At Far West, I counted six delivery trucks waiting in line to unload, looked like Normandy on D-Day.

Yes, they are. My cashier told me at open they are only letting in 30 people and then something like 3 additional people every 5-10 minutes. Lines started about an hour and a half before open. Granted I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention because breasts.

• Haha 1

KPRC did a story last night of a place called Auctions Unlimited in Houston that is selling N95 masks that hospital workers need.  He claims he’s just the middle man and is doing what his customers want.  Bullshit. 

“I’m just a bidding platform for people that want to liquidate their surplus assets," owner Tim Worstell said. 

Worstell said his family have been in the auction business for several generations. He said he does not own the highly coveted, safety masks that are going for roughly $100 more than their usual cost. He also doesn’t own the hundreds of thousands of ear loop masks he is auctioning. 

Worstell is the middle man. Even if he didn’t load the supplies on his site, the owners would sell on another platform, he said. 

He admits that in order to take opening bids at $1 with no reserves, the corporations had to agree to his terms. 

“In order for me to take the consignment, they had to agree to donate 10% of their profits and I agreed to match that to the church of their choice," he said.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Axios: Wartime manufacturing muscle might not solve ventilator shortage

Full Text:

Reveal hidden contents

Joann Muller
Joann Muller
Image of a hospital ICU bed
Intensive care room with ventilator (right). Photo: Ronald Bonss/picture alliance via Getty Images

Automakers and their parts suppliers are offering to produce desperately needed ventilators to keep coronavirus patients alive, but quickly retooling industrial factories to make precision medical equipment might not be feasible, despite the good intentions.

Why it matters: The U.S. faces a critical shortage of medical equipment to fight the disease, including ventilators that help patients breathe as well as protective gear, such as masks, gloves and gowns, for health care workers.

The big picture: The auto industry has virtually shut down in North America for deep factory cleanings, and if and when they'll resume production isn't clear.

Unionized auto workers at GM, Ford and Fiat Chrysler are worried about contracting the virus on the assembly line and are working with the companies to restructure work shifts to mitigate the risk.
Driving the news: In a call Wednesday to inform the Trump Administration of the shutdown, GM CEO Mary Barra told White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow that GM wanted to help and was studying how it could potentially support production of medical equipment like ventilators.

That news prompted a similar statement from Ford, and later, Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted, "We will make ventilators if there is a shortage."
What's happening: The Toronto-based Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association is enlisting tool and die companies and parts suppliers to adapt their manufacturing plants on both sides of the border to produce medical supplies.

"Their response has been overwhelming ... Just get us the specs," APMA President Flavio Volpe told the CBC.
The shift to medical supplies would be easy enough to do, he said, and they could convert back to automotive manufacturing quickly.
Yes, but: Pivoting to wartime footing for ventilators is not like churning out tanks, planes and ships for World War II, says Sandy Munro, CEO of Munro & Associates, an expert in lean manufacturing who has intimate knowledge of both the auto and medical device industries.

Production of medical devices requires sterile rooms with much higher standards than those required in a "clean room" at an automotive paint shop, for example, he says.
The Food and Drug Administration would have to validate any new facilities, a process that can take up to 180 days, explains The Huffington Post.
The technicians who manufacture ventilators also require eight to nine months' training, says Munro.
"Medical devices are intricate machines on which people’s lives depend. Every step of the production process has to be precise. This isn’t just a box with an air hose on it."
Nor is it clear that auto workers who were afraid of infection making auto parts would feel any safer going back to produce ventilators.
One of the biggest challenges is securing components, especially the disposable, single-use tubes and masks made of highly specialized medical-grade materials, experts say.

Most are manufactured outside the U.S. — in Costa Rica, Japan, South Korea and China, says Munro.
The virus has slowed production in many parts of the world, and even where factories are producing, shipping is complicated by a drastic reduction in cargo carriers and air freight.
What to watch: The federal government could clear many of these hurdles, especially if it activates the Defense Production Act, which would mobilize private industry to assist in "national defense."

It could provide federal help in the form of loans, faster regulatory and customs processes and even the chartering of planes and ships to deliver components more quickly.
Go deeper: ‘At war with no ammo’: Doctors say shortage of protective gear is dire (NYT)

Fake news per me in the medical device product design, process validation, and regulatory approval expert. You can assemble medical devices in your garage as long as you can validate the process meets applicable FDA, ISO, and ASTM criteria/standards. 

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Yes, they are. My cashier told me at open they are only letting in 30 people and then something like 3 additional people every 5-10 minutes. Lines started about an hour and a half before open. Granted I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention because breasts.

Same.  The HEB in Summerwood had a line, but the parking lot was half full.  They only had one entrance open, and HEB reps were monitoring who/how many could come in at a time which created a line. 

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You can assemble medical devices in your garage as long as you can validate the process meets applicable FDA, ISO, and ASTM criteria/standards. 

isn't that this part?

The Food and Drug Administration would have to validate any new facilities, a process that can take up to 180 days

edit: I think that is also the part that was cratering the dude on twitter who was trying to manufacture additional n95's Stateside?

edit2: evidently his issue was with NIOSH, not FDA

edit3: here is his group currently

https://twitter.com/OpenPPEProject

Edited by NoName

56 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lotta stuff coming out of china the last 48 hrs about hospital lines ramping back up and more people getting sick... especially outside of Hubei containment zone

Pretty predictable at this point.  As soon as you remove/loosen the quarantine it will start to infect again.

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Same.  The HEB in Summerwood had a line, but the parking lot was half full.  They only had one entrance open, and HEB reps were monitoring who/how many could come in at a time which created a line. 

And, the people waiting in line outside were too close together.  Definitely not six feet apart.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Seems like they are going to give it a shot. 

I seem to recall that the UK was initially going down the "Herd Immunity" track and let the chips fall where they may, but changed their minds and were moving to Social Distancing / Flatten the curve approach.  

I don't know what you'd call that... beyond fucked up

Kinda like going through training camp and putting in a new offense, and then changing your offensive coordinator after one game. 

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away