Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is that a problem ?

What XYZ said below.

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I took that comment to mean that if the army starts using civilians to do stuff, then those civilians wouldn’t be available to do whatever they are doing now at hospitals/clinics.

With that said, it could add a lot of beds, but those mobile hospitals would have to be setup at existing civilian medical centers, otherwise you negatively impact their operations.  

Well, there is one aspect that could help - in theory, if we got shit locked down well enough and slowed the spread, it could help with bringing doctors and nurses in from areas that are not as hard hit.  

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Short update on international travel: daughter is at the Montreal airport now, waiting on her flight.  She was the only person going through security.  The only one going through customs.   And at least as of a little while ago, the only one at her gate.  A classmate flew to LGA yesterday and was the only passenger on her flight.

Good news, right? Seems like getting her back home will be good for your sanity and BP. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Short update on international travel: daughter is at the Montreal airport now, waiting on her flight.  She was the only person going through security.  The only one going through customs.   And at least as of a little while ago, the only one at her gate.  A classmate flew to LGA yesterday and was the only passenger on her flight.

Great news for you.  

I wonder if they are making them sit in coach.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd also think there will be some kind of gov't loan assistance program for (small) businesses ??  Obviously it's gonna depend on how long this shit goes on.  

Already underway.  Treating this just like a natural disaster.  .

Edited by rantanamo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Goddamned telephone scammers are ramping up their sleazy shit again.

last few days we’ve gotten several robocalls telling us our “social Security numbers have been cancelled and to call this number to be reinstated”, or some such bullshit.

There is a special place in hell for that scum, and I sincerely wish some young hacker could track them down so an execution squad could go put some lead in their slimy heads.

We've gotten, non-stop for months, calls from Chinese scammers. China DHL, China Department of State (or whatever it's called) telling my nephew that he has mailed fake passports to China. They are all in Chinese. Nephew fucks with them a bit, in Chinese. I just wish they'd stop calling.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

a specific strategy for handling my credit card / touching the keypad and using the key fob to open the hatch back of the car.

Actually, this might be pretty important. Especially the keypad/touch pad you use to approve the transaction. Everybody else who has been through the line has touched that thing in the exact same place you do. And the virus lives relatively long on plastic surfaces. It is probably wise to consider ANY touch screen or keypad as covered in SARS-2/COVID virus for the time being. Anything you can avoid touching, ESPECIALLY something that lots of other people touch, is a very good thing. I have some e-touch gloves (not sure if that is the right name) which let you use touch screens while wearing them, I put these on when I went to the ATM (which I also assumed to be covered in this virus).

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I get that they want people outside, fresh air, fire code ... that makes sense.  But if they are going to do that they need to make sure that people in the outside queue are able to stay six feet away from each other.  Maybe a line of cones or sidewalk chalk on the ground.  Move up one cone at a time.  Or hand out tickets for admission.

Shopping carts between people help in that regard.  Not quite perfect, but better than nothing.

1 minute ago, pantone159 said:

Actually, this might be pretty important. Especially the keypad/touch pad you use to approve the transaction. Everybody else who has been through the line has touched that thing in the exact same place you do. And the virus lives relatively long on plastic surfaces. It is probably wise to consider ANY touch screen or keypad as covered in SARS-2/COVID virus for the time being. Anything you can avoid touching, ESPECIALLY something that lots of other people touch, is a very good thing. I have some e-touch gloves (not sure if that is the right name) which let you use touch screens while wearing them, I put these on when I went to the ATM (which I also assumed to be covered in this virus).

Most screens work with latex gloves on.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

HEB can’t control how the idiots in line outside their store choose to congregate.  They can control the activity inside their stores. 

People were still on top of each other in the store given the narrow aisles and the fact it's a grocery store.  The check out lines were shorter though.  

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good news, right? Seems like getting her back home will be good for your sanity and BP. 

Yeah, hoping so.  Each step is precarious.  Want to get her home.  So yeah.  Didn't sleep for shit, am a bundle of nerves right now.

And she's so damned sad.  Just heartbroken to leave her school, her dorm, and her friends.  When she gets home, she's going to be a sad kid.  Relieved, sad, all of it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

last few days we’ve gotten several robocalls telling us our “social Security numbers have been cancelled and to call this number to be reinstated”, or some such bullshit.

There is a special place in hell for that scum, and I sincerely wish some young hacker could track them down so an execution squad could go put some lead in their slimy heads.

Step one: cancel landline

Step two: do not answer any number you don't recognize or have saved on cell phone

Step three: turn off cell phone

Step four: drink

Yeah, hoping so.  Each step is precarious.  Want to get her home.  So yeah.  Didn't sleep for shit, am a bundle of nerves right now.

And she's so damned sad.  Just heartbroken to leave her school, her dorm, and her friends.  When she gets home, she's going to be a sad kid.  Relieved, sad, all of it.

Get her home and you can work on the rest.  At least she will be safe, and being home and safe is good start on ameliorating the sad.

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Our landline at home is basically because for this purpose.  We don't really use it for anything but to put that number down on everything we have to register a phone number for, and no one we really want to talk to calls us on it.  Being forced to be home for the next who knows how long, I may just start answering it to entertain myself.  Go full Jerky Boys on them.  Why not?

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How is she with coyotes?

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Whining but I’m so jealous of my friends with no or older kids.  Sending texts about themselves grilling, drinking and watching movies nonstop...our 6yo is handling it ok but the 3yo is driving everyone batshit.  This would be a great time to lounge with the wife, get drunk and laid instead we are all at each others throats.  The thought of 3+ more weeks of this is scarier than the bug

Same; 4 year old and 19 month old.  We are 6 days into not leaving the house and I can’t imagine us making it more than another week.  FML truly regret bringing children into this dystopian hellscape.  

• Like 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Brix is blinking something out in Morse code with her eyes.  

No joke, she's blinking way more and too regularly for a normal amount of blinking.

Or her contacts are fucked up, idk man. But conspiracy-prone folks are gonna have a field day lol

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Four passengers on her flight. Boarding now.

• Like 5

It’s the more active form of Vitamin D but there are multiple studies that show that supplementation doesn’t have the same benefit as natural levels (from the sun). And there aren’t great studies for infectious disease period. Personally, I think it would be a good time to get some sun even with the increased risks of skin cancer unless you have a strong history of it or risks for melanoma. 

But it’s raining.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So i was looking for that teva press release to send to someone in nyc, and found this article in which it also says that Mylan will also begin production. 

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/03/19/teva-mylan-coronavirus-covid19-malaria/

So will Turing Pharmaceuticals, but they will charge $2000 per dose.

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I feel the tide is turning. Blowjob and whack off jokes out front. 

Dude, this is Surly, that proves nothing. Some of us will still be posting blowjob and whack off jokes from our fallout shelters while the roaches are picking over the bones of all the unfortunate poors on the irradiated surface.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So i was looking for that teva press release to send to someone in nyc, and found this article in which it also says that Mylan will also begin production. 

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/03/19/teva-mylan-coronavirus-covid19-malaria/

cross posted:

wasting little time with this is good news, especially when every single day delayed has a major impact on final numbers affected.

• Like 1

Since you are under quarantine and retired and otherwise not doing anything, YouTube some Kitboga videos of him fucking with these scammers. 83 year old Edna drives them insane.

Whining but I’m so jealous of my friends with no or older kids.  Sending texts about themselves grilling, drinking and watching movies nonstop...our 6yo is handling it ok but the 3yo is driving everyone batshit.  This would be a great time to lounge with the wife, get drunk and laid instead we are all at each others throats.  The thought of 3+ more weeks of this is scarier than the bug

I’d give you my pity but I have 1 year nearing 2 year old hell on wheels that can only be restrained in his high chair.

And a 4 year old

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Same different but same same. 2.5 yo and 9 month old. Not exactly a second honeymoon over here, but at least we have a babysitter while we WFH. 

Can y'all take this to the daddy daycare thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yeah, I have 2 teens at home.  But I imagine if my kids were college age or 20's with no kids, I'd rather have them at home with me.  But yeah, it would be pretty awesome.  

I am at work this morning for a few hours tying things up.  Our business, which consists in large part of commercial property management (office), is exempt, but I am still going to work remotely for the most part.  We will be rotating a skeleton crew at all properties so we have a presence, but even that will be very limited.  Going to be a weird situation.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away