CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Someone way upthread posted this, the most detailed, comprehensive, and well-sourced timeline with a warning that it'd make your blood boil that I've seen. He was right.
The incompetence is staggering.
https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/
Side note: Got an excited call from my Trumpist mom after he came out with his three-point PowerPoint plan, asking about when we were going to open things up. I think she was hoping she could start going back to church or playing canasta with her friends tomorrow.
It was heartbreaking to tell her "Hell no! Stay home, mom" and infuriating that she and my dad remain so misinformed about everything because of their devotion to Trump and Fox Fucking News.

JFC.

The following is a post I just read on Orangebloods regarding the remdesivir news. I read stuff like this every day over there. 

Sell the news! I would bet that this drug will have significantly greater side effects and proven to be no better efficacy than Hydroxychloroquine + z-pack + zinc. However, they are going to promote it because it will cost $10k versus the $20 of the hydroxychloroquine therapy. Of course, the Fauci/Gates crowd are going to continue to push for a BS vaccine on the world population even though 99%+ will have developed an immunity to the virus by the time it, or if, it comes out. Remember there was never a vaccine for SARS or Mers that was developed. This is how the game is played!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

The following is a post I just read on Orangebloods regarding the remdesivir news. I read stuff like this every day over there. 

Sell the news! I would bet that this drug will have significantly greater side effects and proven to be no better efficacy than Hydroxychloroquine + z-pack + zinc. However, they are going to promote it because it will cost $10k versus the $20 of the hydroxychloroquine therapy. Of course, the Fauci/Gates crowd are going to continue to push for a BS vaccine on the world population even though 99%+ will have developed an immunity to the virus by the time it, or if, it comes out. Remember there was never a vaccine for SARS or Mers that was developed. This is how the game is played!

Could have told me that was Texags and wouldn’t have batted an eye. 

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I still lean toward keeping schools closed, but be honest about what he’s referencing. 

Here’s the study. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(20)30105-X/fulltext

2-3% total mortality.  that was his quote.  i didn't take it as "2-3% of children".

what was he honestly referencing?  i'm not reading that article.

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

The US now accounts for nearly 1/4 of the reported worldwide deaths, despite representing only about 4% of of total population AND being one of the less dense countries in the world. USA! USA! We're #1! We're #1!

data quality red flag. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

2-3% total mortality.  that was his quote.  i didn't take it as "2-3% of children".

what was he honestly referencing?  i'm not reading that article.

a modelling study by Ferguson and colleagues concluded that in the UK, school closures alone will reduce COVID-19 deaths by only 2–4%.

From The Lancet article.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Someone way upthread posted this, the most detailed, comprehensive, and well-sourced timeline with a warning that it'd make your blood boil that I've seen. He was right.

The incompetence is staggering.

https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/

Side note: Got an excited call from my Trumpist mom after he came out with his three-point PowerPoint plan, asking about when we were going to open things up. I think she was hoping she could start going back to church or playing canasta with her friends tomorrow.

It was heartbreaking to tell her "Hell no! Stay home, mom" and infuriating that she and my dad remain so misinformed about everything because of their devotion to Trump and Fox Fucking News.

That was me.

I think most people passed right over it because it's long, and every day under Trump brings a shitstorm of new WTF moments, but I think it should be required reading.

Thanks for reposting!

Edited by DixonHur

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Glimmer of hope?

Who the fuck says that?  It helped reduce the severity of symptoms and duration of illness but it’s far from the miracle drug being touted here.  They also did trials at NW and nobody there is doing cartwheels about a cure. 

It’s also an IV, meaning your ass needs to get sick enough to land in the hospital before getting it.  

I said elsewhere, prone positioning and being more cautious about using vents is likely showing more promise then this magic med but people wanna run with a feel good story.  I get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy this and other anti-virals are helping but we need to test a lot more and trace before we can see any light at the end of the tunnel.

And I have zero faith in this administration.   

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 9

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

From The Lancet article.

It says alone. I guess if you close schools in a vacuum but everyone still acts like a complete idiot like there isn't some pandemic raging on then maybe the impact would trend down to 4 percent. Of course that's a ridiculous scenario that would never happen in real life. 

Of course the main factor in colds and flus dropping in summer is no school. Kids pass that shit around like crazy. Of course they'd pass this around the same if not worse. 

2 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Is that a real source?  Seems, um, slanted.

It's attributed to Channel 12 News (one of the major stations in Israel). Posted also in Times of Israel, a relatively balanced publication.

Overall, we rate the Times of Israel Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 12/5/2016) Updated (8/23/2019)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The article does say that it was US intelligence that warned Israel.  Whether or not Trump had anything to do with that is speculative.   

Man, I know nothing about Israeli media. The Times of Israel, which I'd never heard of, is only reporting what an Israeli TV station reported with no link to that report. Until this gets some traction with American MSM, I'm going to just make note of the story, especially since they say "we" knew about it prior to the speculated patient zero.

It jibes a little with our own ABC News story on it, but predates even that. While NYTimes had one too, but they reported heads up wasn't given to the White House until early January.

Christ almighty, this would be even worse than I could ever imagine. I ddon't know what to believe anymore...maybe that's the point. Proceed with caution is all I'm saying.

FUCK!!!

Edited by bolverk

I’m 50 pages behind and not going to read all that to catch up. I assume people are eating their words about Trump’s leadership abilities? This thing could have really spiraled had he not taken such quick action. I get it, people died. But not the millions that would be dead had Obama/Biden been handling things. It’s nice to have Christian leadership in times like these.

Welp, see you in another 50 pages.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 10

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’m 50 pages behind and not going to read all that to catch up. I assume people are eating their words about Trump’s leadership abilities? This thing could have really spiraled had he not taken such quick action. I get it, people died. But not the millions that would be dead had Obama/Biden been handling things. It’s nice to have Christian leadership in times like these.

You might’ve missed the part where we all planned to round up the internet trolls and stick them in gibbets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

you had me at trump, and lost me at trump leadership. 

The DT thread is pushing a video from “The Epoch Times” that pushes the theory that the coronavirus came from a Chinese lab.

“The Epoch Times” is total garbage.

Overall, we rate The Epoch Times borderline Questionable and Right Biased based on editorial positions that consistently favor the right. We also rate them factually Mixed due to the publication of pseudoscience and the promotion of pro-Trump propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as failed fact checks.

On December 20, 2019 it was reported that Facebook took down more than 600 accounts connected to the Epoch Times. According to an NBC News report “The network was called ‘The BL’ and was run by Vietnamese users posing as Americans, using fake photos generated by algorithms to simulate real identities. The Epoch Media group, which pushes a variety of pro-Trump conspiracy theories, spent $9.5 million on ads to spread content through the now-suspended pages and groups.”

In review, The Epoch Times covers straight news reporting through the use of journalists and syndication through the Associated Press and Reuters. Typically, these stories are well sourced and reasonably low biased. However, when reporting on China they do reflect a strong anti-communism bias. The Epoch Times also uses loaded language that usually favors the right such as this: Why Media Organizations Can’t Let Go of the Fake Russia-Collusion Narrative.

Editorially, there is a very strong Pro-Trump bias, with almost all articles praising Trump and denigrating the left such as these Democratic Party: A Broken Kaleidoscope? and Five Reasons Trump’s Celebration of America Was Epic Display of Patriotism. According to an NBC News report the “outlet has spent more than $1.5 million on about 11,000 pro-Trump advertisements in the last six months, according to data from Facebook’s advertising archive — more than any organization outside of the Trump campaign itself, and more than most Democratic presidential candidates have spent on their own campaigns.” In general, straight news reporting is sourced and mostly low biased, however op-eds 100% favor the right with some promoting conspiracy theories.

A factual search shows that they have failed several fact checks.

-Jack Andraka, 15, came up with a “100 percent accurate” cancer-detection method that was “168 times faster, 26,000 times less expensive, and 400 times more sensitive” than current methods.
– False

-Dubious Posts Tie Political Families to Ukraine Work – False
No, Yellowstone volcano’s eruption threat level did not increase in 2018 – False (Corrected)

-Concerned artificial intelligence researchers hurriedly abandoned an experimental chatbot program after they realized that the bots were inventing their own language. – False

-Did China’s Communist government create the novel coronavirus in a laboratory and release it into the world as a deadly bioweapon?
– False (added 4/16/20)

Further, the Epoch Times has a section called Beyond Science that publishes pseudoscience news, such as Supernormal Abilities Developed Through Meditation: Dr. Dean Radin Discusses. Finally, the above referenced NBC News report states “In addition to claims that alien abductions are real and the drug epidemic was engineered by the “deep state,” the channel pushes the QAnon conspiracy theory, which falsely posits that the same “Spygate” cabal is a front for a global pedophile ring being taken down by Trump.”

Overall, we rate The Epoch Times borderline Questionable and Right Biased based on editorial positions that consistently favor the right. We also rate them factually Mixed due to the publication of pseudoscience and the promotion of pro-Trump propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 8/21/2017) (Updated 4/16/2020)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-epoch-times/%3Famp

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/epoch-times-begins-hiding-its-connection-huge-pro-trump-ad-n1045416

But I’m sure if I posted this over there I’d get yelled at for being pOLitiCaL!!!!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Dr. Phil says hold my beer:

What Fox News is doing is showing “doctors” who they know will push their views to the viewers. This is another attempt to downplay the experts by putting any quack with a doctor degree.

They are doing this intentionally to show that hey the doctors are telling us is fine.

this is pretty scary 

What's next? Kelsey Grammar reviving Dr Frasier Crane to pimp up his buddy Trump? 

35k a year die from flu. 35k dead in just over a month from this even with social distancing. Very few hospitalized for only the flu and tens if not over a hundred thousands being hospitalized for this in just over a month even with social distancing. 

How stupid do you have to be to think they're remotely close? 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

The article does say that it was US intelligence that warned Israel.  Whether or not Trump had anything to do with that is speculative.   

I know nothing about the factual basis of the reporting, but I have a hard time believing the US intelligence agencies would war Israel, but not include it in one of Trump's daily intel briefings.  

That said, it's entirely possible Trump never heard it because he was focused on Fox & Friends during the briefing.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The DT thread is pushing a video from “The Epoch Times” that pushes the theory that the coronavirus came from a Chinese lab.

“The Epoch Times” is total garbage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-epoch-times/%3Famp

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/epoch-times-begins-hiding-its-connection-huge-pro-trump-ad-n1045416

But I’m sure if I posted this over there I’d get yelled at for being pOLitiCaL!!!!

Epoch times and the NTD channels are pro Republican and anti Chinese Communist Party. I watch them for the news on China recognizing their bias.  They usually put up a photo of source documents which is better than most media. They do run with social media video that is at best anecdotal, but the amount of lying and censorship by the CCP means we have to take what we can get and try to connect the dots.

The Wuhan viral lab published a lot of their research in journals so the fact that they were experimenting with bat coronavirus and altering them to infect other mammals so they can be studied is well founded. 

58 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

That said, it's entirely possible Trump never heard it because he was focused on Fox & Friends during the briefing.

Unless they put it as an illustration there's a zero percent chance that it was communicated to Trump.

• Like 1

From what I’m hearing here, Abbott today is expected to announce he’s letting the flat ban on elective procedures expire on April 21st. There will likely be some kind of phasing back in of what procedures can and will be done. Hospitals happy with that. One hospital I frequent has some service lines running at 20% of capacity. Essentially over prepared for Covid and it has under delivered here. As I stated earlier they’ve actually had to furlough some nurses because of the changes. 

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Who the fuck says that?  It helped reduce the severity of symptoms and duration of illness but it’s far from the miracle drug being touted here.  They also did trials at NW and nobody there is doing cartwheels about a cure. 

It’s also an IV, meaning your ass needs to get sick enough to land in the hospital before getting it.  

I said elsewhere, prone positioning and being more cautious about using vents is likely showing more promise then this magic med but people wanna run with a feel good story.  I get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy this and other anti-virals are helping but we need to test a lot more and trace before we can see any light at the end of the tunnel.

And I have zero faith in this administration.   

Yes this seems to have been pumped a little too much. Markets acting like it’s the all clear signal. 

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I know nothing about the factual basis of the reporting, but I have a hard time believing the US intelligence agencies would war Israel, but not include it in one of Trump's daily intel briefings.  

From the Times of Israel article 

US intelligence informed the Trump administration, “which did not deem it of interest,” but the report said the Americans also decided to update two allies with the classified document: NATO and Israel, specifically the IDF.

That would both match some of the reports we have regarding early intelligence concerns and would be consistent with the understanding of Trump's disregard for information in the daily briefing. 

I used to believe that they should have partnered with USA Today and made the daily briefing with lots of colorful graphs for him, but now I think that Highlights Magazine would be a better choice. Hell, maybe he'd have accidentally learned something from the Goofus and Gallant feature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

It’s absolutely believable that our intel agencies would try to verify their data with other trusted intel agencies. Israel has really good SIGINT, I could see us vetting some of that early intel with theirs. it’s less likely that some high level official formally warned Israel before our own intel community completed their analysis without a strong enough reading that it would hit the NSC first. I think “they warned us” just means someone from the US talked to someone in Israel about the virus.  Jibes with the timeline that was posted earlier. 

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anybody else get left in the breadline as the PPP funds dried up? 1.3MM businesses funded with another 20MM completely fucked.

My dad's business.

But hey, after the likes of Shake Shack and Ruth's Chris gets theirs, there's only so much to go around.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anybody else get left in the breadline as the PPP funds dried up? 1.3MM businesses funded with another 20MM completely fucked.

Yep. Not unsurprisingly the Red states have significantly higher percentage of payrolls funded through PPP than the blue states - but we still got screwed here in Texas.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

4 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

What's next? Kelsey Grammar reviving Dr Frasier Crane to pimp up his buddy Trump? 

35k a year die from flu. 35k dead in just over a month from this even with social distancing. Very few hospitalized for only the flu and tens if not over a hundred thousands being hospitalized for this in just over a month even with social distancing. 

Stupid enough to vote for a "businesses man" that bankrupted multiple casinos who also happened to be a pussy grabbing "Christian". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Personally, I’m waiting for Dr. Demento’s guidance.

• Like 1