Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

the risk benefit analysis vs vaccinations is pretty compelling imo. Don't come fucking crying later about your health care bills when you made the decision to skip the off ramp on this shit. 

tenor.gif

These anti-science bullshit eating rubes will 100% coming crying when their bill comes due.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

tenor.gif

These anti-science bullshit eating rubes will 100% coming crying when their bill comes due.

Maybe consider exempting all COVID-19 related healthcare from coverage after some set date in fall for vax eligible individuals that decided to pass. 

You want to fuck around and find out and bankrupt yourself, go for it if you want to take the risk, but don't put the rest of us on the hook for the bill. 

The pocket book is the most effective method of behavior modification. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Okay sorry for the misfire in the analogy (I don’t watch either); replace tucker with whomever it makes more sense and is the flip side of the Maddow coin, but let’s not let a bad analogy from a guy who doesn’t watch cable news deflect from the overarching point being made because it’s easy and relieving. Replace that idiot with whomever on the right is a biased and agenda driven entertainment news host who has earnest beliefs and opinions.

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe consider exempting all COVID-19 related healthcare from coverage after some set date in fall for vax eligible individuals that decided to pass. 

You want to fuck around and find out and bankrupt yourself, go for it if you want to take the risk, but don't put the rest of us on the hook for the bill. 

That would be awesome.  Is something like this feasible?  

25 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Okay sorry for the misfire in the analogy (I don’t watch either); replace tucker with whomever it makes more sense and is the flip side of the Maddow coin, but let’s not let a bad analogy from a guy who doesn’t watch cable news deflect from the overarching point being made because it’s easy and relieving. Replace that idiot with whomever on the right is a biased and agenda driven entertainment news host who has earnest beliefs and opinions.

Yeah, your analogy isn’t bad really it just pretty clearly illustrates the point you are trying to argue against. There is no good analogs between the big names in media on the left and the right. 

You can’t come up with a public figure on the left with the reach of Tucker who traffics exclusively in bad faith arguments and lies. You also can’t come up with right leaning journalist who approaches their job with the intellectual and journalistic integrity that Maddow does that has any significant audience or influence.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

I don’t think it’s intentional. He gets wrapped up in conspiracy theories, which is fine if you’re like joking about it (which he has done multiple times with the crazier conspiracies) but he legit thinks the Clintons kill people and shit. He actually thinks antifa is as dangerous or maybe even more so than dickheads like the proud boys. Like I’ve said, I still watch certain clips of his cause he does have some insanely good guests on that discuss all sorts of interesting shit. Like astronomers, historians, war journalist, survivalists and of course hilarious dudes like Burr. That’s his bread and butter right there. Can’t stand it when he brings up covid or his thoughts on anything political. Shut the fuck up and do what you do best. Deep conversations with truly interesting people. Not fucking Crenshaw or Ted Nugent 

Rogan keeps coming cross as somebody who wants to be all things to all people, and particularly to whoever is sitting across from him.

It's odd.  All of the great hosts, whether it be late-night types like Carson or Letterman, or Snyder or Larry King, all had their limits where they would push back against bullshit. Or they just wouldn't have those folks come on.

And Rogan has some amazing guests on, which makes his stance on vaccines even more of a dumbass thing to do - he could pick up the phone and have somebody on who could completely destroy his argument.  He has access to plenty of experts.

12 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

This was a great post and all, but I just wanted to emphasize that W embraced a lie that led to thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis dead while dragging the country into the exact same mistake of the war he was too cowardly to fight in thirty years earlier and the only regret he has ever expressed was the audacity of Kanye West to call him a racist. Fuck him and his water colors. 

/rant, apologies for the interruption. 

Absolutely in agreement.  I don't like that some are willing to forgive that - I had friends who died in Iraq, and I believe we really dropped the ball in Afghanistan with the diversion of resources to Iraq.

I don't even care that Bush is doing his painting stuff for vets.  People have tried to tell me "oh, it was actually Rummey and Cheney and the others", but Bush was the final authority.  They wanted to do something with Iraq, and that was clear even before he entered the White House.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

In this scenario you're Abe. Go find me ten people in the R party that have voices with reach that aren't saying stuff like this.

Good luck. 

The ones I know that have spoken up against the constant lies are being censured, primaried, and/or vilified by their own party.

See John McCain. They are still spitting on his grave.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, your analogy isn’t bad really it just pretty clearly illustrates the point you are trying to argue against. There is no good analogs between the big names in media on the left and the right. 

You can’t come up with a public figure on the left with the reach of Tucker who traffics exclusively in bad faith arguments and lies. You also can’t come up with right leaning journalist who approaches their job with the intellectual and journalistic integrity that Maddow does that has any significant audience or influence.

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

Your issue is that there is not anyone on the right-media that has earnest beliefs and opinions. Carlson and fox is as good as it gets. Which is pretty fucking bad for the point your failing to make.

Maddow (since she's already in the convo) is an actual barred attorney that uses facts and documentary evidence to back her arguments and reporting. Carlson (and the right media writ large) use propoganda and culture war talking points like "BIDEN IS CANCELLING RED MEAT!" and "THE LEFT IS CANCELLING DR SEUSS!" and so on. It is not remotely the same in demeanor or degree. 

Fair enough; I have no argument nor do I want to have an argument against this. I limit my cable news infotainment to Jim Cramer and Squakbox type news. At the end of the day I'm not an anti-intellectual and I take no pleasure in lowest common denominators and I respect and understand the negative views of Joe Rogan on here a little better now so thanks for the discussion and conversation.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Also, I wonder if Rogan is part of this Lake Austin group that want to re-exempt themselves from city taxes. 

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2021-04-09/westside-residents-turn-to-lege-to-escape-from-austin/

I think that story is older than his Austin residency status. He probably doesn't know jack shit about it. 

Edited by Gourmand

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

I think that story is older than his Austin residency status. He probably doesn't know jack shit about it. 

My limited understanding of it is that there was a swath of homes on Lake Austin that for years was exempt from city taxes until the Statesman brought attention to it and currently they're trying to regain their tax-exempt status via the state Legislature. 

21 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Add obesity tobacco alcohol and drug related health conditions and you just solved the healthcare crisis

34 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You can’t pick and choose the lifestyle choices you cover

I see the point, but I am not sure we should be framing anti-vax posture as a lifestyle choice. 

Incentives can have a strong impact on health behaviors.  I am sure that you have spent countless hours of your professional life trying to influence your patients wrt lifestyle modification.  How successful has that been, generally?

Financial incentives can be fairly productive and provide additional push to what sharing evidence and data does.  I generally prefer the carrot over the stick, but there comes a point where you go to the whip in the race.  We're making the final turn with vaccination; maybe time to go to the whip. The comment about pulling coverage for people that pass on vaccination was mostly tongue in cheek.  Mostly. I'd prefer positive incentives. 

Totally tangential, but interesting angle beyond the financial is the social media-like gamification and psychological manipulation being used to effect lifestyle modification. Lot's of folks working on apps and networks to manipulate people's health-related beliefs and behaviors. It's amazing what happens when you put a bright screen with dopamine-inducing buttons to press and engage the feedback loops. Many different ways to incentivize behaviors. I mean, what could possible go wrong.      

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

But it is though

I suppose that dumb fuckery and conspiracy addled brain worms can be considered a lifestyle choice in this age.

ETA: I think of vax hesitancy as more similar to something like medication non-adherence, than I do something like obesity or smoking. I would not consider med non-adherence a lifestyle choice like the other examples.  

Edited by Anastasis

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

But it is though

Again, I understand your point, but this is not the typical frame of thinking around lifestyle modification vs. medication taking behaviors.

If you want to talk about carrot and stick wrt medication taking behaviors, all on board.  Diabetic?  Don't take your medications and work to control your A1C? FAFO about those inpatient admission costs when you have that AMI. I'd rather get in front of in and incentive behaviors that avoid the negative outcomes, but whatever it takes. 

Edited by Anastasis

57 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Pass.  I need my Vitamin R and Alex is the only guy that sells it.

30jzlogft4w61.jpg

And seriously.  What the fuck is going on with this picture?  I stood next to Alex Jones once and he's 5'11 tops.  Maybe.  

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Then he should shut the fuck up.

He kind of got paid a ton of money not to though. 

I don't agree with a lot of his opinions but he's nowhere near as dangerous as the right wing propaganda that's legally allowed to masquerade as news and be on television. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

On 4/28/2021 at 7:54 PM, Ted Lange said:

tenor.gif

I'd think you'd have to absolutely not believe in Divine Judgment to be this guy. 

Elmer Gantry (still a great book) at least believed it when he was preaching. He embodied the American ease of sincer hypocrisy. A piece of shit like Parson Ha-Ha must know his every move is false.

I swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:02 PM, Anastasis said:

Was Covid-19 care covered for the uninsured? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...