Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Serious question, does he have all 5 tools?  Cuz I can only think of one player in MLB shorter than 6' who can hit for power.

Did Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, or Mickey Mantle have enough power for you?  All under 6'.

Current guys?  Altus, Francisco Lindor, Bregman, Khris Davis, Yoenis Cespedes, Brian Dozier, Mookie Betts, Rougned Odor, Pedroia, etc.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, or Mickey Mantle have enough power for you?  All under 6'.

Current guys?  Altus, Francisco Lindor, Bregman, Khris Davis, Yoenis Cespedes, Brian Dozier, Mookie Betts, Rougned Odor, Pedroia, etc.

no no, you’re mistaken.  there’s only one. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know.  Having to face that Mike Stoops defense every day in practice is a beating.

True, they havent been all that great. But the talent from the 17 class (and we hope the 18 class) will show through.    They have been recruiting really well on D the past couple classes, and it will start to show.   I'm really looking forward to seeing how good Radley-Hiles will be for OU.   Their best db recruit since i dont know when.

3 hours ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

True, they havent been all that great. But the talent from the 17 class (and we hope the 18 class) will show through.    They have been recruiting really well on D the past couple classes, and it will start to show.   I'm really looking forward to seeing how good Radley-Hiles will be for OU.   Their best db recruit since i dont know when.

It won’t matter. Mike Stoops is awful. And his head coach runs a system that kills defenses. 

14 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

It won’t matter. Mike Stoops is awful. And his head coach runs a system that kills defenses. 

Believe it or not a mike stoops defense was ranked #1 in the big 12 against both the pass and the run in 2015.  He had a lot more talent on that team than in recent memory.   They had 8 players on the all big 12 defensive team, compared to  2017 with 1. Coincidentally, their recruiting for defense had been pretty bad for a few years and it's showing now.   I do expect improvement  against both the pass and the run this year just because of the improved recruiting since 17.   i also imagine the offense not being as lethal and scoring quite as quickly as they had been the past couple years. 

Edited by Lloyd Christmas
  • Fuck You 1

From today's chat with Fangraphs' prospect guru...if he's on the short list of guys considered to have the "highest ceiling" in the draft, you'd figure he'd be selected pretty high...

12:27

Erik: Highest ceiling and floor in this years draft?

12:29

Kiley McDaniel: Floor is Madrigal. Ceiling is tough to say probably one of Alec Bohm, Kyler Murray, Jordyn Adams. Stewart/Liberatore on pitcher side

• Like 1

Murray’s weekend: 5/12; 2 2Bs; 2 HRs; 8 RBI; 2 SB

During the ‘real’ (IE not noncon) Bedlam baseball this year, I was watching game 1 upstairs with a beer and the kids to bed...I apparently said loudly enough ‘who the hell is that shrimp...wait that’s the great Murray?’ loudly enough my wife texts me (from downstairs), who is Murray?

Not sure the dude even got a hit the whole series. That soothed my jimmies which are now rustled as I’m expecting my pokes to choke up the conference this weekend.

10 hours ago, tx ind said:

When he gets drafted in the first round aggy can claim they produce first round baseball players

What do you think?  They'll probably put any sort of baseball title/award he ever wins on their football stadium wall.

9 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

He would be a fucking moron to not take the Baseball money

You're right, and this would be the second time he would have passed on baseball money; he was probably going to be a pretty high pick out of HS but told everyone he was going to college. All of this to participate in an amateur sport at which he probably isn't as good and is extremely unlikely to play professionally, which also happens to pose a physical threat to his ability to play baseball in the future. 

I mean...come on kid. This is not a difficult decision. 

He would be a fucking moron to not take the Baseball money
It all depends on two things..

How realistic he is about the size issue for football
How comfortable he is with peaking out in HS for football.

Little Lincoln is surely filling his head with visions of sugarplums, fairies, Big12 championships and being on Heisman watch lists, playoffs etc.. But yeah, he's an idiot if he passes on the MLB draft.

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

I hope he plays football.  So we can beat him.

I kind of curious to see what kind of player he is as a full time starter.   I was skeptical of his ranking because of his size, and the overall quality of his hs team.  

Also could it be possible he gets drafted, plays summer ball, and goes back to ou in the fall?

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

During the ‘real’ (IE not noncon) Bedlam baseball this year, I was watching game 1 upstairs with a beer and the kids to bed...I apparently said loudly enough ‘who the hell is that shrimp...wait that’s the great Murray?’ loudly enough my wife texts me (from downstairs), who is Murray?

Not sure the dude even got a hit the whole series. That soothed my jimmies which are now rustled as I’m expecting my pokes to choke up the conference this weekend.

He didn’t do shit against Texas either. 

55 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I kind of curious to see what kind of player he is as a full time starter.   I was skeptical of his ranking because of his size, and the overall quality of his hs team.  

Also could it be possible he gets drafted, plays summer ball, and goes back to ou in the fall?

Wouldnt be the first time it's happened. 

20 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Wouldnt be the first time it's happened. 

The higher the signing bonus, the less likely a team will be in letting a guy do this. If he signs for top 3 round money, they’re going to want him playing baseball full time and not splitting time with football and in theory schoolwork. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The higher the signing bonus, the less likely a team will be in letting a guy do this. If he signs for top 3 round money, they’re going to want him playing baseball full time and not splitting time with football and in theory schoolwork. 

Yes, i can confirm the statement you made is correct. 

I was looking at a couple mock drafts to see who they had my MLB team taking and figured I'd do quick search for Kyler. Neither Fangraphs nor Perfect game had him going in the top 45 picks, but this MLB one had this to say about him while projecting some other OU sucks guy at 25.  Btw, I"m not saying he's right that Kyler is dead set on playing football, I'd bet this writer is not up to date on that aspect. 

25. Diamondbacks: Steele Walker, OF, Oklahoma

Arizona grabbed a college performer with Pavin Smith at No. 7 a year ago and could have one of the best pure hitters available if Walker falls into its lap at No. 25. His Oklahoma outfieldmate Kyler Murray also would be a first-rounder if he weren't dead set on playing quarterback for the Sooners.

https://www.mlb.com/news/college-players-lead-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-276190214?tid=151437456

On 4/13/2018 at 12:09 PM, ousux said:
On 4/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, JOSEYWALES66 said:
Yes.  Ricky Williams was technically a walk-in when he played at Texas.  He signed with the Phillies and that made him ineligible for a scholarship. If memory serves me correctly, the Phillies picked up his college tuition.
if the argument is that it hasn’t happened recently, then that is probably correct.  But it has happened in the past.
On a side note, Ricky (not Baker) was the first walk on to win the Heisman. 

Wouldn't that technically make RW the only non-scholarship Heisman winner? Pretty sure blowU was paying Fakers tuition last year. (and bail)

Well, on the bright side, Baker didn't fumble during the scrimmage in Fayetteville (that slam to the ribs had to be a real doosey bruise the next morning)...

baker_mayfield_tackled_1489187161.gif

20 hours ago, ousux said:

It all depends on two things..

How realistic he is about the size issue for football
How comfortable he is with peaking out in HS for football.

Little Lincoln is surely filling his head with visions of sugarplums, fairies, Big12 championships and being on Heisman watch lists, playoffs etc.. But yeah, he's an idiot if he passes on the MLB draft.

This.

I like to bet against my wishes, so I would bet he stays at OU and has a good career there and gets drafted late. Still would be better off going baseball route though.

On 5/11/2018 at 10:55 AM, Lloyd Christmas said:

Believe it or not a mike stoops defense was ranked #1 in the big 12 against both the pass and the run in 2015.  He had a lot more talent on that team than in recent memory.   They had 8 players on the all big 12 defensive team, compared to  2017 with 1. Coincidentally, their recruiting for defense had been pretty bad for a few years and it's showing now.   I do expect improvement  against both the pass and the run this year just because of the improved recruiting since 17.   i also imagine the offense not being as lethal and scoring quite as quickly as they had been the past couple years. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3572747

it really is you, isn’t it?

Edited by ShowmeyourTDs
  • Haha 1

From Keith Law's "Big Board" of top players available for the MLB draft...in essence, Murray began screwing up his baseball career when he decided to go to College Station, but it is still salvageable and Law has him as the #38 prospect...but he further screws it up if he plays football for the Sooners...

38. Kyler Murray, CF, Oklahoma. Murray could have been a first-round pick out of high school but took himself out of the draft by declining to take the mandatory drug test. Then he went to Texas A&M to play football but ended up transferring and missing the spring of 2016 as a result. He had just 49 at-bats last spring and hit .122/.317/.122, then didn't play over the summer, so he came into this spring with those 49 ABs as his only game action in nearly three years. That makes his .292/.394/.557 line even more impressive and might lead some teams to gloss over his 55 strikeouts (25 percent of his plate appearances). Murray is now in center field, where his speed plays up, after spending time at shortstop as a high school underclassman, and he has come into average power now that his body has filled out. He's still behind his age cohorts as a hitter because of all the lost reps, and of course, he is still fighting for the quarterback job this fall for the Sooners, but if he'll commit to baseball full-time, there's a potential above-average everyday center fielder for a team with some patience.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

From Keith Law's "Big Board" of top players available for the MLB draft...
38. Kyler Murray, CF, Oklahoma. Murray could have been a first-round pick out of high school but took himself out of the draft by declining to take the mandatory drug test.

Why did he throw that "mandatory drug test" tidbit in?