College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

A lot of old fat dudes that pay to have their grass cut vocally posting on the internet about how soft players, millenials, and society are because we let CFB get interrupted by the virus.

yeah people being monotonous bitches on the Internet sure gets old

Doctor agrees we’ll need a lot of tests. Tests we currently don’t have and don’t seem to be producing fast enough. 

And I will tell you that 80% of the conversation centered around testing,” Hainline said. ”And more specifically, what happens in contact sports like basketball or football, when one of the players tests positive. Does that mean quarantine? Does that mean we do very regular testing?

“And I think that’s the granular type of detail that we still don’t have universal agreement for two reasons: One is we don’t have all of the ready-made, point-of-care tests. And number two, the serology tests that are out there to date, they just aren’t reliable.”

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Doctor agrees we’ll need a lot of tests. Tests we currently don’t have and don’t seem to be producing fast enough. 

And I will tell you that 80% of the conversation centered around testing,” Hainline said. ”And more specifically, what happens in contact sports like basketball or football, when one of the players tests positive. Does that mean quarantine? Does that mean we do very regular testing?

“And I think that’s the granular type of detail that we still don’t have universal agreement for two reasons: One is we don’t have all of the ready-made, point-of-care tests. And number two, the serology tests that are out there to date, they just aren’t reliable.”

Right...and how many of those tests should sports leagues get, when they really need to be testing the general public? There's already been some reaction to the idea of other sports planning to test their people repeatedly when the average person can't get the test once.

My guess: they'll have procedures in place, most likely 1-2 sporadic positives will just be isolated while everything continues. But two or more teammates or participants from the same game will probably shut the whole team(s) down for two weeks. That could be as inconvenient as the annual hurricane postponements or it could bring the whole sport to a stop. Not having ticketed fans makes re-scheduling easier FWIW.
The biggest hurdle, as with everything in the US, is lack of consistent and reliable testing. Everyone is just hoping that can be improved dramatically by September, but it's hard to see right now.
Purely ancedotal, but a friend who is a nurse at a major hospital in the metroplex going on 10 years now says the newest test kits (the ones Trump touts as "5 minute tests" ) are pretty accurate, and in any case, better than the kits available early on.

I really have no idea what the cost per kit is...but seems it would be worth it if AD's stock up on kits and add a few positions to the medical staff purely for testing, monitoring and treatment if needed.

Yes, i'm desperately looking for ways to save the season...but the above doesnt sound like an unreasonable addition to other procedures put in place in the name of player/staff safety.

Depends on if they use the same rules as a classroom.  We've been told if we go back into the classroom and 1 person in that class tests positive, everyone in the class has to automatically do a 14-day quarantine.  I couldn't imagine 1 teammate testing positive and everyone else going on as normal. 
Even if they test negative...and the next day as well? I mean..every day testing may be prohibitively expensive, but i dont know if it will outweigh the loss of revenue from no football at all..

15 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 5/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, Pancho said:

Depends on if they use the same rules as a classroom.  We've been told if we go back into the classroom and 1 person in that class tests positive, everyone in the class has to automatically do a 14-day quarantine.  I couldn't imagine 1 teammate testing positive and everyone else going on as normal. 

Even if they test negative...and the next day as well? I mean..every day testing may be prohibitively expensive, but i dont know if it will outweigh the loss of revenue from no football at all..

That’s the problem.  You can test negative that same day or the next day, but that doesn’t necessarily means you’re negative.  It just means the viral load can’t be picked up by a test yet.  

So if they have the means for everyday testing, then go for it.  Just hoping those everyday test aren’t the nose ones.....ouch. 

On 5/2/2020 at 4:42 PM, 4th&Five said:

Bless your soul.

Somebody had to do this, I’ll jump on one for the team.  Man, it’s very awkward watching someone go through this.   Shit, took my Aunt four years to acknowledge that my Uncle had passed away.

Ahem, 4th&5:

Bro, there is going to be NFL & CFB in the fall.  I wouldn’t bet against a 40k max crowd rule either.   The election isn’t until November, plenty more to come that will divert your attention.   No worries, it’ll be all good.

Edited by Veerbone
  • Like 1

My wife works with the NCAA. Most major D1s won’t have many issues. The small D1s and D2 and D3 are going to be hurting big time. Reduction of contests, non revenue sports and travel across the board. They’ll get games in for 20-21 but if there somehow isn’t a NCAA basketball tournament next year for CBS to cover, college athletics is in some serious trouble. 

I think NFL will give it a go. I give them 1 in 3 shot of having a real season under current virus conditions.

I don’t think there will be a real college football season under current virus conditions.

The difference being the NFL is a single organization with for-profit members and has control over far more variables.

• Like 2

I think NFL will give it a go. I give them 1 in 3 shot of having a real season under current virus conditions.

I don’t think there will be a real college football season under current virus conditions.

The difference being the NFL is a single organization with for-profit members and has control over far more variables.

That and the players are out a huge chunk of money if they don't play. As a group, players will likely work with the league and honestly probably accept either a level of risk or the kind of conditions - i.e. whole league just holed up at a single location - that just isn't going to happen in college.

I was playing TPC Scottsdale on Saturday and bumped into Rick Neuheisel on the first tee box.  He said there is no doubt in his mind that something will be figured out and we will have football this fall.  Said there is FARRRR too much money to lose and it would crush athletic programs without football.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That and the players are out a huge chunk of money if they don't play. As a group, players will likely work with the league and honestly probably accept either a level of risk or the kind of conditions - i.e. whole league just holed up at a single location - that just isn't going to happen in college.

Probably why the NCAA is suddenly fast tracking ways players can get endorsement deals while in college. It’s been hard enough to justify players not getting paid while in college, it gets even more difficult to justify not allowing them to get paid while the governing body is having them play during a pandemic 

Edited by perfectchaos007

I was playing TPC Scottsdale on Saturday and bumped into Rick Neuheisel on the first tee box.  He said there is no doubt in his mind that something will be figured out and we will have football this fall.  Said there is FARRRR too much money to lose and it would crush athletic programs without football.

Agreed. The money is substantial. And no I don’t think there’ll be many severely sick vulnerable attendees in attendance in a normal year . Also I doubt there’ll be tailgating as colleges will want to limit fan interaction as much as possible. Probably have fever checks for every fan upon entryMaybe ask most 70+ to wear a mask or sit this season out.
  • Like 1

My wife works with the NCAA. Most major D1s won’t have many issues. The small D1s and D2 and D3 are going to be hurting big time. Reduction of contests, non revenue sports and travel across the board. They’ll get games in for 20-21 but if there somehow isn’t a NCAA basketball tournament next year for CBS to cover, college athletics is in some serious trouble. 

Most small fbs, FCS and other division schools probably average 8K or fewer fans a game anyways so a lot were dependent on a P5 game for revenue.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Agreed. The money is substantial. And no I don’t think there’ll be many severely sick vulnerable attendees in attendance in a normal year . Also I doubt there’ll be tailgating as colleges will want to limit fan interaction as much as possible. Probably have fever checks for every fan upon entryMaybe ask most 70+ to wear a mask or sit this season out.

If we are still having fever checks in 5.5 months then we might as well just weld everyone's doors shut like they did in China.  This virus is absolute bullshit.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Boogaloo said:

First step towards a 64 team Champions League level of college football. That would be a great development and silver lining from this disaster. Get the Texas schools on board as well and have a reincarnated SWC for a season. If warm weather puts a dent into this thing, you could see an all-South football season.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

First tee box or was he hiding behind a couch in the men’s grille?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why only ask the 70+ folks to wear a mask? Everyone can wear a mask, and should. Wearing a face covering is more about avoiding spreading it to others than protecting yourself.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, wood said:

Why only ask the 70+ folks to wear a mask? Everyone can wear a mask, and should. Wearing a face covering is more about avoiding spreading it to others than protecting yourself.

That’ll be a fun sight during a 2:30 mid-September game. And by fun, I mean horrifying watching a bunch of blue hairs and fat former frat bros pass out from breathing their hot breath into a mask for 3.5 hours. Not to mention the fat hellraisers 

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

This is a top ten humble brag.  Well done, and I hope Rick is right.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, gmr548 said:

A lot of old fat dudes that pay to have their grass cut vocally posting on the internet about how soft players, millenials, and society are because we let CFB get interrupted by the virus.

Surly-Please.jpg      Vocally posting. Yes, vocally posting. 

• Like 2

I have to believe that they will play football in some fashion this year.  Could be only conference games and it could be reduced capacity crowds.  There may be a few schools that choose not to participate.  Testing all the athletes will be the key.

22 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

We will know by the end of May from how the re-openings go, if a college football season will happen. My bet is on yes. 

We started playing college football after the civil war because we were worried about the pussification of the american male without a war to go fight.

If we do not have a college football season in 2020 then the pussification will have occurred and thus we should do the right thing and jettison the sport entirely so as to not piss on the graves of the people who gave us this sport in the first place.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/handful-of-pac-12-schools-expecting-to-reopen-in-fall/2358608/

Handful of Pac-12 Schools Expecting to Reopen in the Fall. 

Does not include California yet. 

If I remember correctly, CA has made it clear that sporting events with crowds are in that absolute last tier of things allowed to resume - basically cancelled until the pandemic is over. So I would think fans are a no go even if the CA schools do decide to play.

I was bored so I went through what could've/will been/be Week 0 and Week1

Week 0:

Saturday August 29-

Notre Dame vs. Navy (Dublin, Ireland)

Marshall at ECU

California at UNLV

Hawai'i at Arizona

NM State at UCLA

Week 1:

Thursday September 3-

Clemson at Georgia Tech

NC State at Louisville

Oregon State at Oklahoma State

BYU at Utah

Friday September 4-

Syracuse at Boston College

Indiana at Wisconsin

North Carolina at UCF

Saturday September 5-

West Virginia vs. Florida State (Atlanta)

USF at Texas

Northwestern at Michigan State    

Purdue at Nebraska

Colorado at Colorado State

Alabama vs. USC (Arlington)

TCU at California

North Dakota State at Oregon

Michigan at Washington

Baylor vs. Ole Miss (Houston)

Monday September 7-

Virginia vs. Georgia (Atlanta)

Certainly a meh 0 week, but man that is/was a deep Labor Day weekend schedule. Thanks a lot rona!

Edited by SimonBolivar

Oregon governor pretty much shut down sports through September until there’s effective treatment or vaccine.

Ohio St is supposed to come to Autzen this year so she clearly has zero clue the ramifications of closing it this early in May. I imagine there’ll be backlash soon and she’ll reconsider.

I kinda think she has more important things to worry about than football game.  California, Oregon and Washington are going to do their shit together, as a team.  That's 2 of the 3 already basically saying no dice to sport crowds. 

Edited by Js1