College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Ha, I knew the "there will be no football if students aren't on campus" was bullshit posturing. Now the party line is, on-line classes count as campus being open.

Brett McMurphy article

“Going to class in an online sense is satisfactory,” Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. “There’s room for that to happen. School has to be in session, student-athletes have to be going to class.”

All the execs share some version of this, with one anonymous guy saying it's a "bad look" but as long as some other students are there, it will work.

They also fire some warning shots about how they're willing to play even if some conference members do not...in other words, if Cal wants its full share of TV money, they better get their pads on and hit the field.

A lot of old fat dudes that pay to have their grass cut vocally posting on the internet about how soft players, millenials, and society are because we let CFB get interrupted by the virus.
We started playing college football after the civil war because we were worried about the pussification of the american male without a war to go fight.
If we do not have a college football season in 2020 then the pussification will have occurred and thus we should do the right thing and jettison the sport entirely so as to not piss on the graves of the people who gave us this sport in the first place.

I'm fully aware how douchey quoting yourself is, but... Case, meet point.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I kinda think she has more important things to worry about than football game.  California, Oregon and Washington are going to do their shit together, as a team.  That's 2 of the 3 already basically saying no dice to sport crowds. 

Seems like a cart in front of the horse decision to be made in early May.

Especially with how well Oregon’s doin. Harvard study shows they’re one of 9 that’s ready to open

Seems like a cart in front of the horse decision to be made in early May.

Especially with how well Oregon’s doin. Harvard study shows they’re one of 9 that’s ready to open

Maybe so, but to be fair, that also implies she knows what she's doing.

I could see a scenario where - say 15,000 people - were allowed to attend each game.  That would be decided by allocation or rotating selection by season ticket holders.

Say the game is at 2:30 on Saturday, you have from noon on Friday to noon on Saturday to go by a number of approved clinics/locations and get a test.  When you get cleared, you get a wristband that allows to easy entrance into the game.  Then you are assigned a seat and have to stay in that seat.

But being completely honest, i just don't see how college football is going happen.  Every team is going to have players get this.  Its going spread like crazy through campuses, dorms, bars, etc.  These kids aren't going to be worried about it.  The big question will be - if a player on a team tests positive what does that mean?  Does the whole team have to isolate for 14 days? Because if that's the case, call it a day, its over.  You can't make a schedule around that.  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

But being completely honest, i just don't see how college football is going happen.  Every team is going to have players get this.  Its going spread like crazy through campuses, dorms, bars, etc.  These kids aren't going to be worried about it.  The big question will be - if a player on a team tests positive what does that mean?  Does the whole team have to isolate for 14 days? Because if that's the case, call it a day, its over.  You can't make a schedule around that.  

It's going to depend on availability of-- and confidence in-- the tests.  If one players tests positive, and you test all other players and they're negative, why would you isolate them?

• Like 3

I'm still of the belief they want to be able to power through if say two or fewer people on the team (not just players) test positive at the same time. But that can obviously blow up quickly. Story from S. Korea says one guy went clubbing and infected at least 13 people. And they are supposedly being careful.

We (sort of) joke about players having sex but that's a real thing, or so I assume. There will be girls around - women's teams, cheer teams and more. If everyone seems healthy, there will be...spreading.

We may learn some things from the foreign sports just starting up, especially when soccer gets going as that's got more contact.

11 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I'm still of the belief they want to be able to power through if say two or fewer people on the team (not just players) test positive at the same time. But that can obviously blow up quickly. Story from S. Korea says one guy went clubbing and infected at least 13 people. And they are supposedly being careful.

We (sort of) joke about players having sex but that's a real thing, or so I assume. There will be girls around - women's teams, cheer teams and more. If everyone seems healthy, there will be...spreading.

We may learn some things from the foreign sports just starting up, especially when soccer gets going as that's got more contact.

Soccer has more contact than football? Maybe I'm misreading your post...

I look at it by conference.  To me, there is zero chance the SEC does not play.  I can't see any scenario they aren't playing short of multiple dead players, which seems unlikely.  Big 12 will also play.  Probably with more caveats than the SEC, ie less fans in the stands.  Big 10 would be next, I am pretty sure they play but maybe with no fans.  ACC I don't have a read on, Clemson will find a way though I am sure.  Pac 12 is the one that I worry about.  I think there is a 50/50 shot they don't play at all mostly due to local politics.

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's going to depend on availability of-- and confidence in-- the tests.  If one players tests positive, and you test all other players and they're negative, why would you isolate them?

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

the very first step is having enough testing and we're nowhere close to that.  until i can walk into cvs and get tested we shouldn't be talking about sports when they will most likely have to be tested daily.

OK, about that ... I don't follow the news religiously, because I generally like being happy. Is there a good test out there now?

The City paid for employees to go get tested at the Total Men clinics, and then we were told that those tests were only 5% effective. Had I known that, I wouldn't have wasted my time. I tested negative, but I still believe my wife (no pics, assholes) and I had this shit back in late Feb/early March.

Another thing, assuming that there even is a reliable test, is that if Joe Schmo can't go get a test, then how can we justify allocating thousands of tests each to sports leagues? F1 is saying there will required testing every other day of everyone involved in their behind-closed-doors races. That's 1500-2000 people every other day ... so probably 4000-5000 tests at a minimum.

18 minutes ago, Bartles said:

If we're able to get some reliable antibody testing, I think we're going to find that by the end of the summer, there will already be a very large percentage of the college-aged population that has had it.  Because I'll tell you one thing I know for sure-- a huge percentage of that population never isolated or socially distanced in the first place.  They've continued meeting in large groups, they've continued partying and hooking up, they've just been doing it in private, behind closed doors.  That's part of the reason I keep saying, things are going to look very different by the end of the summer, but that's dependent on getting reliable antibody testing to prove it out.

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Soccer has more contact than football? Maybe I'm misreading your post...

I'm thinking he's talking about soccer versus beisbol...?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If we're able to get some reliable antibody testing, I think we're going to find that by the end of the summer, there will already be a very large percentage of the college-aged population that has had it.  Because I'll tell you one thing I know for sure-- a huge percentage of that population never isolated or socially distanced in the first place.  They've continued meeting in large groups, they've continued partying and hooking up, they've just been doing it in private, behind closed doors.  That's part of the reason I keep saying, things are going to look very different by the end of the summer, but that's dependent on getting reliable antibody testing to prove it out.

Still not true.  Euro flopball has as much contact as a nursing home tea party  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

The big question will be - if a player on a team tests positive what does that mean?  Does the whole team have to isolate for 14 days?

Yes, it does.  And the team they played last week has to do the same.  This was the realization that caused the NBA to cancel so soon.

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yes, it does.  And the team they played last week has to do the same.  This was the realization that caused the NBA to cancel so soon.

Are you assuming that there won't be enough testing, or enough reliable testing, by Fall?  If so, I agree.

But as long as there are enough tests, and there is confidence in the tests, then I'm not sure why you'd need to isolate/quarantine players that test negative.

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They should just intentionally infect everyone associated with the teams right now and get it over with.

(not really)

The old "roll around in the chickenpox" strategy?  Sure why not! :)

40 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They should just intentionally infect everyone associated with the teams right now and get it over with.

(not really)

I know it’s a joke but Jim Harbaugh is already figuring out the logistics for a COVID sleepover with players and high school seniors 

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I look at it by conference.  To me, there is zero chance the SEC does not play.  I can't see any scenario they aren't playing short of multiple dead players, which seems unlikely.  Big 12 will also play.  Probably with more caveats than the SEC, ie less fans in the stands.  Big 10 would be next, I am pretty sure they play but maybe with no fans.  ACC I don't have a read on, Clemson will find a way though I am sure.  Pac 12 is the one that I worry about.  I think there is a 50/50 shot they don't play at all mostly due to local politics.

I don't think the Pac 12 will play at all.

I think the SEC and Big 12 will play in full.  Probably w/out crowds in much of the Big 12, at least to start.  The SEC will be unrestricted.

The Big 10 and ACC will have a mix of schools that play and those that sit.  In the Big 10, everyone west of the Appalachians save Northwestern will probably play.  The ACC is harder for me to gauge.

I think this process will firmly remove the Pac 12 from the same tier as the other P5 conferences, if they aren't already.

Large gatherings at sports and other events in Oregon should either be canceled or significantly modified through September because of the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Kate Brown said Thursday.

The announcement will have a direct impact on the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers, MLS' Portland Timbers and collegiate programs at Oregon and Oregon State, among others. The NBA and MLS seasons remain on hold, while the upcoming fall college sports season is the subject of intense debate.

Oregon is scheduled to host three home football games in September, including Week 2 against Ohio State, a huge nonconference matchup that should have College Football Playoff ramifications. Oregon State also has three home games in September, including its Pac-12 opener against Washington State.

During a news conference outlining steps the state should take to reopen, Brown said, "There is some difficult news to share. Large gatherings, including live sporting events with audiences, concerts, festivals and conventions, will not be able to return until we have a reliable treatment or prevention like a vaccine. The Oregon Health Authority is advising that any large gatherings at least through September should either be canceled or significantly modified. I know this is really, really hard."

In a statement, the Oregon athletic department said, "We will continue to work with state and local officials, public health experts, and campus leadership in navigating all of the unprecedented issues surrounding COVID-19 and when our student-athletes will be able to return to competition. The health and safety of our student-athletes and community will continue to be our top priority."

That's similar to California, all it really confirms is no fans at games. They aren't specific about whether a football game with maybe 350-400 people in a huge stadium would be considered safe. Not that I blame them at this point, let's see how things work overseas first.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think the Pac 12 will play at all.

I think the SEC and Big 12 will play in full.  Probably w/out crowds in much of the Big 12, at least to start.  The SEC will be unrestricted.

The Big 10 and ACC will have a mix of schools that play and those that sit.  In the Big 10, everyone west of the Appalachians save Northwestern will probably play.  The ACC is harder for me to gauge.

I think this process will firmly remove the Pac 12 from the same tier as the other P5 conferences, if they aren't already.

This seems right to me but it opens up so many questions. What happens with eligibility for players at schools that don't play? They are all automatically granted an additional year so they have 6 years to play 4? Will there be more transfer waivers granted for players that want to move to a school that is actually going to play football this year? What the hell would that look like if the SEC and Big12 are allowed to pillage every school in the West's best players? 

Goes without saying this is going to be a mess all around and the NCAA is completely worthless to help. 

Just now, UncleSonny said:

This seems right to me but it opens up so many questions. What happens with eligibility for players at schools that don't play? They are all automatically granted an additional year so they have 6 years to play 4? Will there be more transfer waivers granted for players that want to move to a school that is actually going to play football this year? What the hell would that look like if the SEC and Big12 are allowed to pillage every school in the West's best players? 

Goes without saying this is going to be a mess all around and the NCAA is completely worthless to help. 

This is absolutely going to be a mess, and I think it's going to sort out college football - at least among the P5 - into the "cares" and "don't cares" about CFB.

I kinda think it's going to be the end of the NCAA exerting control over college football in any capacity as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

How do you have a functioning playoff with teams losing marquee matchups? Teams like Ohio State (playing Oregon) get punished bc one of their non conf games gets cancelled in May 2020? 

CU-Aggy

USC-Bama

tOSU - Oregon

Michigan - UW

You can build just as functional a 4-team invitational with partial seasons as you can with full. In other words, the existing 4-team invitational isn’t functional anyway. It’ll be something to watch, which is all that matters. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How do you have a functioning playoff with teams losing marquee matchups? Teams like Ohio State (playing Oregon) get punished bc one of their non conf games gets cancelled in May 2020? 

CU-Aggy

USC-Bama

tOSU - Oregon

Michigan - UW

This is not an issue Aggy would have to worry about

• Like 2

we need to approach this problem more creatively. 

How about we have each team submit a 45 minute video of tap/interpretive dance. Top 8 jazziest handed squads make it to the cfb playoff where winners are decided by cage death match featuring each programs respective mascots.

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

the very first step is having enough testing and we're nowhere close to that.  until i can walk into cvs and get tested we shouldn't be talking about sports when they will most likely have to be tested daily.

Holy shit this is stupid. Why the fuck do you need a test? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I mean me as in every person that actually needs one before we start using thousands on football players. Or how about we get enough antibody tests to actually find out who has had it? Either way we’re nowhere close to having enough tests. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

That’s a big time positive answer. 

Yup, that's getting there.  Although "daily testing" isn't really going to be realistic.  Testing when showing symptoms, or contact with someone showing symptoms-- that's what is realistic.  But The Powers That Be will realize that and arrive there, eventually.

And of course this assumes widespread availability of testing, and confidence in the results of that testing.  Antibody testing should be included in that assumption.

Agreed. That’s the thing with this saga is every month is going to be such a different world than the previous one. So if human trials go well with vaccines, we should know by June if they’re approved for the public. By then we should have ramped up production also for whatever works. At least that’s what Doc Agnes said on Howard stern yesterday

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Agreed. That’s the thing with this saga is every month is going to be such a different world than the previous one. So if human trials go well with vaccines, we should know by June if they’re approved for the public. By then we should have ramped up production also for whatever works. At least that’s what Doc Agnes said on Howard stern yesterday

Agnes was pretty encouraging and optimistic about vaccines on the show. I have no idea if that guy's a quack or not, but it's real to me dammit. 

I watched a news segment on Newsy a few days ago and they discussed how Oxford University (England) were leading the world with finding a vaccine.  In fact it did well in lab mice/rats and rabbits.  They were awaiting permission to start human testing and if everything continued as planned, they could have the first vaccines available for the public as soon as September.  So there is still hope out there that a vaccine can be ready for the fall. Till then, schools need to have tests available for the players and a plan on how to isolate the players that do test positive.

For sports purposes, I would delete the word "vaccine" from our vocabulary for the 2020 calendar year.

The hurdles for mass-producing a vaccine are enormous and time consuming. And how to define whether it works is very much in question, same as with flu vaccines. *cracking door into cloak room* It wouldn't be surprising to see a major vaccine announcement in September or October, but nothing that will actually be put into practice in the near future.

• Like 2

I "hear" from last week's faculty meeting that football is off for the fall.  Season ticket holders will be refunded.  Classes will resume in the fall.  Sizes larger than 100 students will be online.  Smaller classes will meet in lecture halls and spread out.  Regular class times will extend to at least 8 p.m.  Profs are expected to teach more classes to smaller sizes.  I have no other information or insight. 

The first two sentences above do not align with the other sentences. If anything, that environment indicates there will definitely be football (maybe no fans). If such a thing had truly been decided, it would have leaked almost immediately.

The only way the SEC doesn’t play is if the government tells them they can’t. And it will have to be the federal government because the state governors aren’t going to stand in the way of sacred football, in the name of all those poor people who work the games (see: Georgia).

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup, that's getting there.  Although "daily testing" isn't really going to be realistic.  Testing when showing symptoms, or contact with someone showing symptoms-- that's what is realistic.  But The Powers That Be will realize that and arrive there, eventually.

And of course this assumes widespread availability of testing, and confidence in the results of that testing.  Antibody testing should be included in that assumption.

You can’t wait until they’re symptomatic. Half the team could have it and never show a symptom but spread it to everyone else. 

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

The only way the SEC doesn’t play is if the government tells them they can’t. And it will have to be the federal government because the state governors aren’t going to stand in the way of sacred football, in the name of all those poor people who work the games (see: Georgia).

Yup. the fact that Sharp has put together a team to make sure that football happens in College Station this year is all you need to know. 

5 hours ago, LTbear said:

Those timelines would be significantly faster than anything else like this. I'd think having a vaccine produced by next January would be fast. Hope I'm wrong there.

Yes, January would be very quick.