Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

On 9/1/2021 at 9:28 AM, ZB'Tejas said:

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

High maintenance wives and young kids make having a comfortable place to take a break from the sun in Sept a nice option.

This. Just bought a pair in the Touchdown Club so my wife can sit in the a/c and drink while we watch the game. I'll probably appreciate it too, given the forecast. If the weather is good, I'll buy tickets for future games closer to the 50 and outside.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, EZ$ said:

So how did aggy rebuild an entire side in 8-9 months and it took us 2 years for just the End Zone?  
It’s not like Covid and material issues delayed it (maybe a month or so) as it was always scheduled to open up this season. 

Because we did a great job and built a beautiful, aesthetically-pleasing work of art as opposed to that rancid piece of shit in College Station?

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

This. Just bought a pair in the Touchdown Club so my wife can sit in the a/c and drink while we watch the game. I'll probably appreciate it too, given the forecast. If the weather is good, I'll buy tickets for future games closer to the 50 and outside.

Welcome to the thunder-dome. The above is why my season tickets are there.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any updated pics of that southwest corner entrance?

If you can Pm me your email, I’ll send you some pics I got before my walk thru.  Really took a marked turn in the last 48 hrs.  Basically finished from the exterior.  Interior and ingress has a ways to go but from the sidewalk and the inter/gate courtyard area, looks very sharp and basically game ready.  They’re sweeping like mad men out there.  

Webcam has been down for me, but it’s back up. Don’t know how to link it live (if that’s possible), but here’s the link if you’d like to click: https://texassports.com/sports/2019/6/11/darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-south-endzone-webcam.aspx

Minor quibble, but I’m still not exactly sure why they decided to go with such a stark white on the facing of the main suites. I guess someone likes the air vent look. But again, that’s just a minor, “if I could do something different” note. I think it’s for the most part pretty awesome. The entire stadium looks incredibly contemporary for a building first constructed almost 100 years ago. I’m not sure how much of the old place exists from 1924, if any, but it’s an interesting blend for sure.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, EZ$ said:

So how did aggy rebuild an entire side in 8-9 months and it took us 2 years for just the End Zone?  
It’s not like Covid and material issues delayed it (maybe a month or so) as it was always scheduled to open up this season. 

Lots more demo time for DKR. Aggy had plenty of cow pasture to implode their dump into. 

DKR South Endzone is a reinforced concrete structure instead of just a steel structure. It's infinitely more complex and has way more functions as well. Walk around in there once you go to a game you will be impressed. It's incredible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Plus the SEZ had to structurally sit over elements of the existing un-demolished SEZ, Moncrief, and even RecSports Center.  The re-do of the infrastructure underground alone was months and months.  We also had to worry about the new cooling station to the SE, parallel construction/infrastructure re-do of Moody, groundup of Moody, Red River re-do, all the while paying credence to the fact that a huge portion of our stadium provides year-around office/event/club/academic/training facilities that you have to respect (Kyle Field has nothing but just fake trophies and a 6-Saturday ready infrastructure).  

Ours took so long, not just from an engineering/construction feat, but we had to work around so much more.  Just the debris hauloff alone was complicated by the fact that it had to deal with road closures on MLK and Red River because of the new State Capitol Complex and other nearby projects.  The tight parameters they've been dealing with are really extraordinary.  

Kyle Field had to work around the sacred ground of a dozen dead dogs and that's basically fucking it.  Other than that, it was a construction project so simple---even an Aggie could do it. 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Plus the SEZ had to structurally sit over elements of the existing un-demolished SEZ, Moncrief, and even RecSports Center.  The re-do of the infrastructure underground alone was months and months.  We also had to worry about the new cooling station to the SE, parallel construction/infrastructure re-do of Moody, groundup of Moody, Red River re-do, all the while paying credence to the fact that a huge portion of our stadium provides year-around office/event/club/academic/training facilities that you have to respect (Kyle Field has nothing but just fake trophies and a 6-Saturday ready infrastructure).  

Ours took so long, not just from an engineering/construction feat, but we had to work around so much more.  Just the debris hauloff alone was complicated by the fact that it had to deal with road closures on MLK and Red River because of the new State Capitol Complex and other nearby projects.  The tight parameters they've been dealing with are really extraordinary.  

Kyle Field had to work around the sacred ground of a dozen dead dogs and that's basically fucking it.  Other than that, it was a construction project so simple---even an Aggie could do it. 

Yup.

Moncrief has been super fun! Selective demo directly over the currently remodeled old locker rooms :)

If you guys get stuck on anything in that locker room, I got an overpaid has-been who can knock some shit out with a sledge-hammer on an awkwardly delayed schedule.  I mean, somebody like that besides me...

Seriously though, if that's you---D.J. Zeus testing out the new P.A. system down there right now.  Pick a fucking genre and go with it.  Just went from Oasis to some new hip-hop star sampling NWA.  I guess you gotta try it all out to make sure it works along any equalizer setting.  I'm assuming you'll try out Kenny G shortly?  

Edited by Lobo

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So... you're basically saying a high quality beautiful build compared to their 2 bit erector set, right?

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Lots more demo time for DKR. Aggy had plenty of cow pasture to implode their dump into. 

DKR South Endzone is a reinforced concrete structure instead of just a steel structure. It's infinitely more complex and has way more functions as well. Walk around in there once you go to a game you will be impressed. It's incredible. 

We also didn't rush to implode ours while "dignitaries" (to the extent anyone would call John Sharp or Uncle Cleetus dignitaries) were nearby. They've most likely had their lives shortened by whatever they inhaled that day. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

So what are the odds it won’t fail and kill 12,000 fightin’ texas aggies?

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

But as always, they couldn't do it without killing someone in the process. Turdition. 

Somebody died during that rebuild of Kyle?  Shit, I had no idea.  Now I feel bad for cracking wise.  

Also pro tip...I don't know if it's a middle finger from Adler to Hartzell...but the outside westbound lane of Dean Keeton from Dedman Drive to San Jacinto...that right lane as you head West...it's closed right now for a City of Austin underground repair job.  It may be magically finished up on Saturday morning, but does not look likely from what I saw being ripped up.  If you're a "get off IH-35" and head into campus area/Players/Crown/meet your student-kids in that area off of Keeton...that's gonna be a nightmare bottle-neck.  At least it shouldn't effect the rideshare area.  But heads-up anyway...

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Webcam has been down for me, but it’s back up. Don’t know how to link it live (if that’s possible), but here’s the link if you’d like to click: https://texassports.com/sports/2019/6/11/darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-south-endzone-webcam.aspx

Minor quibble, but I’m still not exactly sure why they decided to go with such a stark white on the facing of the main suites. I guess someone likes the air vent look. But again, that’s just a minor, “if I could do something different” note. I think it’s for the most part pretty awesome. The entire stadium looks incredibly contemporary for a building first constructed almost 100 years ago. I’m not sure how much of the old place exists from 1924, if any, but it’s an interesting blend for sure.

That looks really sharp, but I agree on the full white. How hard is it to take a paint sample to Home Depot fellas? But it should weather after a year or so and look more like the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 1