Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Checking it out later tonight. Did a rewatch last night of part 1 since the gf had never seen it. I’m ready 

She going to?

my girl notorious for snoozing during a theatre flick.  

surprisingly she stayed awake… which is saying something.  it was a 7pm showing too. 

she told me after “ don’t get all excited… but I kinda wanna see the first one now “

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just got back.  It's good, very well executed.  It's a lot of plot ground to cover and while it drags a little in the first half the 2nd half makes up for it.  Harkonen planet felt Frank Miller-ish in how they shot it, which was fun/interesting.  Both battles for Arrakeen in part 1 and part 2 felt truncated, coulda done more here.  Austin Butler was great.  They managed to contain Christopher Walken's...Walkenness enough that it wasn't super distracting.  Florence Pugh is hot.

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wow. Really incredible stuff. The scenes on Geidi Prime were some of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a movie.

Ink blot fireworks were awesome 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, 59 Burst said:

I guess I’m an outlier. Yes, the cinematography was good not great. Some of the CGI stuff looked raw. The script was weak, especially when you consider what they decided to leave out.

If you enjoyed it, awesome. I’m glad I saw it in a IMAX theater. It would have been worse on a regular screen or on a TV. 

It’s all subjective in the end but BIG disagreement here for me. This movie was beautifully shot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

I went to a 2am showing on opening night because I worked late. Seeing this in IMAX is definitely the way to do it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the pacing was good. The battle scenes were really, really well done. Javier Bardem is still really cool in whatever he does and his character is my favorite.

A manager at work started reading the Dune books again (big sci-fi fan apparently) because myself and another co-worker read a lot of books in general (said he felt like he should be reading something because of how much we read) and I told him to go see the movie as it wouldn’t disappoint. If you have an aversion to long movies just stay home. It’ll save you having to come here to complain about three hours you had to spend around people in a theater. If you can handle sitting for three hours then go see this and enjoy a wonderful movie.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

She going to?

my girl notorious for snoozing during a theatre flick.  

surprisingly she stayed awake… which is saying something.  it was a 7pm showing too. 

she told me after “ don’t get all excited… but I kinda wanna see the first one now “

Yea she is into it so far and since part 1 is fresh I figured I’d jump at the opportunity. 4XD if that matters. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Levi said:

It’s all subjective in the end but BIG disagreement here for me. This movie was beautifully shot. 

I think the complaints about cinematography are mainly because large chunks of the movie just take place in sand. There’s not a ton to be done there. The movie is beautifully shot.

My only complaint is I wanted more time on Geidi Prime with Feyd

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think the complaints about cinematography are mainly because large chunks of the movie just take place in sand. There’s not a ton to be done there. The movie is beautifully shot.

My only complaint is I wanted more time on Geidi Prime with Feyd

The desert isn’t a large color palette to work with as it is. Still, Denis and the DP did a phenomenal job at giving it life. The opening sequence was damn good in that regard. 

I read where someone said that if there was one major critique of the film, it is with Geidi Prime and Feyd. Not that it was bad, but rather it was done well and everyone wanted more of it. The scale of the arena was massive and I was completely shocked. Like a futuristic gladiator on steroids. Then of course Austin Butler as Feyd stealing every scene he was in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

4XD or whatever is annoying 

Is that where the seats rumble and turn ? Haha. Bruh. That’s hilarious. 

i did that with 7 rings and and it was 3D too.  So it was hella annoying… we ended up leaving. Big mistake doing that screening 

I’m guessing you’ll have to go watch it again. On IMAX

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, speed817 said:

I was listening to this podcast this morning.  Some of it is hilarious......

Midnight boys are great.

I will say this is one of the few movies that would have benefited from being a bit longer. Would have helped the timelines not feel quite so rushed but i understand why.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm not a sci-fi guy in general. Never read the books. I could never get into the earlier movie adaptations.

My son wanted to see it because of all the hype so we ended up watching part 1 on Saturday at home and then caught part 2 yesterday at the Drafthouse. I thought it was fantastic. Just really, really well done and well acted. I don't usually even notice the score but I thought it really enhanced the movie. In hindsight, I wish we had seen it in imax.

• Hook 'Em 5

49 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm not a sci-fi guy in general. Never read the books. I could never get into the earlier movie adaptations.

My son wanted to see it because of all the hype so we ended up watching part 1 on Saturday at home and then caught part 2 yesterday at the Drafthouse. I thought it was fantastic. Just really, really well done and well acted. I don't usually even notice the score but I thought it really enhanced the movie. In hindsight, I wish we had seen it in imax.

i highly highly recommend reading the book 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

just left theater. the soundtrack is incredible. loved it, just incredible film making. 

so i'm stupid, or rather just completely unspoiled...had no idea there would be a third haha. yay! i sense great hubris, makes it a much more complex story. 

really great film. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Sorry your son's a nerd.

so there were some plot 'jumps' i'll call them, places where the story seemed to make big leaps. it didn't make it too difficult to follow, even without knowing the story, so it didn't really suffer any. just more like 'oh, ah, we're already at this spot, okay'.

it mostly made me think the source material was just huge

i think i'm an Austin Butler fan now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

so there were some plot 'jumps' i'll call them, places where the story seemed to make big leaps. it didn't make it too difficult to follow, even without knowing the story, so it didn't really suffer any. just more like 'oh, ah, we're already at this spot, okay'.

it mostly made me think the source material was just huge

i think i'm an Austin Butler fan now.

This was the point I was making about the movie benefiting from being longer. 
The time between big events in the book is much longer than the movie makes it feel. But they clearly didn’t want to come in at 3 hours. Didn’t hurt the movie imo but I would love a directors cut 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Saw it in IMAX “light” tonight (the 70mm IMAX is further than I wanted to drive) and it looked great and was deafeningly loud. I wouldn’t have mind a little less volume.

I was really tired so for me it dragged some and I was feeling sleepy. I think I like the first one better but it was really good.

Austin Butler’s agent is doing work.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Is that where the seats rumble and turn ? Haha. Bruh. That’s hilarious. 

i did that with 7 rings and and it was 3D too.  So it was hella annoying… we ended up leaving. Big mistake doing that screening 

I’m guessing you’ll have to go watch it again. On IMAX

Yes it was like a god damn rollercoaster. Never again

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, futureman said:

solo uno but I believe the director is making dune messiah

Definitely left it open for that, and after this weekend's opening box office I'll be shocked if it isn't greenlit ASAP.

15 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There has been some talk that Dune Messiah and Children of Dune will be lumped together.

Oh man I hope not.

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

That seems impossible 

Yeah, I think it'd be more likely to split Dune Messiah into two films rather than lump those two together.  That's the Holloywood SOP now, anyway.

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

so i'm stupid, or rather just completely unspoiled...had no idea there would be a third haha. yay! i sense great hubris, makes it a much more complex story. 

Oh boy, you have no idea. :)

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Did this one end right where the book ends? I thought Paul’s sister had been born by the end of the first book. Maybe it’s just a small change.

You're correct.  That was one of my only issues was the compression of the timeline.  I wanted to see how they'd handle St. Alia of the Knife.  I wish they had kept the longer timeline.  No reason they couldn't have, but creative choices have to be made.  The Chani story line also irritated me, but I still liked the movie.

Really enjoyed their treatment of Paul's struggle with playing the messiah.  Had a Life of Brian chuckle in there while watching.  Denis passed on presenting a lot of the political intrigue in the book, but I get why.  I would have enjoyed seeing this as a trilogy to really flesh it out.  They did present aspects of the story that never got a decent, if any, treatment on film before.  I was entertained.

I recall that she was 2 or 3 at the end of Dune

Yeah wasn’t she oddly precocious, like talking at a really early age?

I read Dune a couple years ago and just ordered Messiah. Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Put your current book on the bookshelf. Take Dune off the bookshelf. Read.

Calm down Nancy. I have like 30 pages of this book left and then I’ll start Dune