Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Hillary Clinton unleashed a “fuck-laced fusillade” on aides in a 2016 debate prep session, according to a new book about the presidential campaign by New York Times journalist Amy Chozick

The candidate was squirming with frustration over lingering concerns about her “authenticity” and racked with loathing for Donald Trump she was determined not to vent in public.

“Aides understood that in order to keep it all together onstage, Hillary sometimes needed to unleash on them in private,” Chozick writes in Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns and One Intact Glass Ceiling. “‘You want authentic, here it is!’ she’d yelled in one prep session, followed by a fuck-laced fusillade about what a ‘disgusting’ human being Trump was and how he didn’t deserve to even be in the arena.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/24/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-amy-chozick-chasing-hillary-book

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You have to give me a time frame here.  I think we might be fucked for a generation but it’s impossible for me to see past that.  Trumpism in some form or another will be noticeable for the next 20 + years in our culture.  

I think many Americans feel they have have a duty to mitigate/contain the consequences.  How swift and effective we can be on minimizing the damage remains to be seen but I’m hopeful we can avoid an apocalyptic catastrophe.

I think brisket thinks the only solution is for the EU to declare war on America and fix our problems for us. Like we did for Germany 75 odd years ago.

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

People Voted for Trump Because They Were Anxious, Not Poor

For the past 18 months, many political scientists have been seized by one question: Less-educated whites were President Trump’s most enthusiastic supporters. But why, exactly?

Was their vote some sort of cri de coeur about a changing economy that had left them behind? Or was the motivating sentiment something more complex and, frankly, something harder for policy makers to address?

After analyzing in-depth survey data from 2012 and 2016, the University of Pennsylvania political scientist Diana C. Mutz argues that it’s the latter. In a new article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, she added her conclusion to the growing body of evidence that the 2016 election was not about economic hardship.

“Instead,” she writes, “it was about dominant groups that felt threatened by change and a candidate who took advantage of that trend.”

“For the first time since Europeans arrived in this country,” Mutz notes, “white Americans are being told that they will soon be a minority race.” When members of a historically dominant group feel threatened, she explains, they go through some interesting psychological twists and turns to make themselves feel okay again. First, they get nostalgic and try to protect the status quo however they can. They defend their own group (“all lives matter”), they start behaving in more traditional ways, and they start to feel more negatively toward other groups.

Reveal hidden contents

This could be why in one study, whites who were presented with evidence of racial progress experienced lower self-esteem afterward. In another study, reminding whites who were high in “ethnic identification” that nonwhite groups will soon outnumber them revved up their support for Trump, their desire for anti-immigrant policies, and their opposition to political correctness.

Mutz also found that “half of Americans view trade as something that benefits job availability in other countries at the expense of jobs for Americans.”

Granted, most people just voted for the same party in both 2012 and 2016. However, between the two years, people—especially Republicans—developed a much more negative view toward international trade. In 2012, the two parties seemed roughly similar on trade, but in 2016, Hillary Clinton’s views on trade and on “China as a threat” were much further away from the views of the average American than were Trump’s.

Mutz examined voters whose incomes declined, or didn’t increase much, or who lost their jobs, or who were concerned about expenses, or who thought they had been personally hurt by trade. None of those things motivated people to switch from voting for Obama in 2012 to supporting Trump in 2016. Indeed, manufacturing employment in the United States has actually increased somewhat since 2010. And as my colleague Adam Serwer has pointed out, “Clinton defeated Trump handily among Americans making less than $50,000 a year.”

Meanwhile, a few things did correlate with support for Trump: a voter’s desire for their group to be dominant, as well as how much they disagreed with Clinton’s views on trade and China. Trump supporters were also more likely than Clinton voters to feel that “the American way of life is threatened,” and that high-status groups, like men, Christians, and whites, are discriminated against.

This sense of unfounded persecution is far from rare, and it seems to be heightened during moments of societal change. As my colleague Emma Green has written, white evangelicals see more discrimination against Christians than Muslims in the United States, and 79 percent of white working-class voters who had anxieties about the “American way of life” chose Trump over Clinton. As I pointed out in the fall of 2016, several surveys showed many men supported Trump because they felt their status in society was threatened, and that Trump would restore it. Even the education gap in support for Trump disappears, according to one analysis, if you account for the fact that non-college-educated whites are simply more likely to affirm racist views than those with college degrees. (At the most extreme end, white supremacists also use victimhood to further their cause.)

These why-did-people-vote-for-Trump studies are clarifying, but also a little bit unsatisfying, from the point of view of a politician. They dispel the fiction—to use another 2016 meme—that the majority of Trump supporters are disenfranchised victims of capitalism’s cruelties. At the same time, deep-seated psychological resentment is harder for policy makers to address than an overly meager disability check. You can teach out-of-work coal miners to code, but you may not be able to convince them to embrace changing racial and gender norms. You can offer universal basic incomes, but that won’t ameliorate resentment of demographic changes.

In other words, it’s now pretty clear that many Trump supporters feel threatened, frustrated, and marginalized—not on an economic, but on an existential level. Now what?

Ironic that it's going to be white America's gullible nature feasting on their own insecurity and jingoistic fears that will bring this country crashing to the ground. 

They let republicans and so called "conservative" media fool them into a state where they prey on those fears to get the power to enrich themselves far beyond anything the Jesus they claim to serve would consider greedy and gluttonous. 

Especially considering almost every minority group that is in America wants to assimilate to the same white American ideals. Steady job. House. Nice car. White America is fighting a strawman and stabbing themselves in the process. Then repeating over and over. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“‘You want authentic, here it is!’ she’d yelled in one prep session, followed by a fuck-laced fusillade about what a ‘disgusting’ human being Trump was and how he didn’t deserve to even be in the arena.”

I feel you, Hilary.

The olds/boomers are the ones who put trump in office. If you think about it, his election really is the best expression of that generation ever. Addicted to TV/propaganda, eats a lot of fast food, completely narcissistic, claims to not being racist when in fact they are, looks for the easy buck, puts their own self interest ahead of the generations of future Americans,  etc.

Trumps is the apex of the boomer generation and they will forever live in infamy because of it. Sorry for the good people of that generation, of which their are countless. You just got overwhelmed by the pieces of shit. Not completely your fault but youre not blamelesss either. Clean up your own house. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Translation: based on past performance, he is likely to win re-election in 2020.

I said "president Trump" in the summer of 2016,

I've said "eight years" since election day.

He's going to be re-elected.  Because fuck you libtards and your sweet libtears!  Few things motivate voters like anger and the chance to be cruel.  His voters are dedicated, and they will ALL show up for him in 2020.  Yes, including those folks who say, today, they don't like him, regret voting for him, etc.  They'll come around.  For the same damned reasons they voted for him in the first place.

And by then Congress will completely devoid of a spine, so they repeal the 22nd, and since Trump never wastes his finite store of energy exercising and he has such great genes (multiple doctors say so) he will win in 2024, 2028, and 2032. Doesn't win in 2036 because after abolishing the free press in 2034, gets Congress to pass a new amendment making him supreme ruler for life. 

Don Jr takes over in the early 2100's so Sr can spend more time golfing.

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Jackson was named to succeed David Shulkin at the Department of Veterans Affairs after Shulkin was ousted last month. Shulkin faced ethical issues and tensions with political appointees within the agency and the White House. A White House official told CNN that Trump was pleased with Jackson's performance in an extended grilling by reporters in January over the President's health and cognitive fitness.
But Jackson's selection was met with questions on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers in both parties have called into question whether Jackson has the right experience to run the federal government's second-largest bureaucracy and that little has been known, until recently, about his policy views.
"I'm not sure anyone can run the VA," Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn told reporters Monday. "It's so big, it's one of the biggest bureaucracies in the federal government."

This hasn't stopped them from approving most of the other appointments Trump has put before them.  How many have they rejected? 

I'd say whatever they are hiding about his past is pretty bad.  

34 minutes ago, retread said:

So bizarre and surreal looking at DOTUS and Melania standing there waiting for Macron to arrive. Two people that don't really care for each other. Melania probably intensely hating his orangeness.

I'm betting he's been extra sweet to her since seeing her hanging with the Obamas, Clintons, and Bushes, all smiles. Like a jealous boyfriend. 

19 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This hasn't stopped them from approving most of the other appointments Trump has put before them.  How many have they rejected? 

It's going to have to be Larry Nassar bad.

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

They may suck at war but God damn if the French don't have a lot of this life shit figured out.

i dunno man. we got plenty of teacher child sex stories over here

banging a 60 something year old grandma while you are PM of the country that invented the word "pussy" and in you are in your 30s? 

firmly not winning IMO

15 minutes ago, staboner said:

i dunno man. we got plenty of teacher child sex stories over here

banging a 60 something year old grandma while you are PM of the country that invented the word "pussy" and in you are in your 30s? 

firmly not winning IMO

Minimum 2 mistresses.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Damn Melania. 

That hat is fly.  I kind of like Melania, damn it all.  She seems nice, is a sympathetic character, and knows how to dress.

That being said, if Michelle Obama didn't take her hat off for the national anthem, Fox News would implode.

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That hat is fly.  I kind of like Melania, damn it all.  She seems nice, is a sympathetic character, and knows how to dress.

That being said, if Michelle Obama didn't take her hat off for the national anthem, Fox News would implode.

Why would a woman take off her hat for national anthem?

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Trump and Macron really fucked up. You got Bridgette and Melania in some nice white form fitting get ups, looking on point, and these jerkoffs trot right up the long staircase with the women behind them.  A true gentlemen lets the ladies lead the way, and enjoys the view on the slow walk up. 

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Nah.

10 hours ago, In10se said:

Ironic that it's going to be white America's gullible nature feasting on their own insecurity and jingoistic fears that will bring this country crashing to the ground. 

They let republicans and so called "conservative" media fool them into a state where they prey on those fears to get the power to enrich themselves far beyond anything the Jesus they claim to serve would consider greedy and gluttonous. 

Especially considering almost every minority group that is in America wants to assimilate to the same white American ideals. Steady job. House. Nice car. White America is fighting a strawman and stabbing themselves in the process. Then repeating over and over. 

Rep given.

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

The olds/boomers are the ones who put trump in office. If you think about it, his election really is the best expression of that generation ever. Addicted to TV/propaganda, eats a lot of fast food, completely narcissistic, claims to not being racist when in fact they are, looks for the easy buck, puts their own self interest ahead of the generations of future Americans,  etc.

Trumps is the apex of the boomer generation and they will forever live in infamy because of it. Sorry for the good people of that generation, of which their are countless. You just got overwhelmed by the pieces of shit. Not completely your fault but youre not blamelesss either. Clean up your own house. 

Rep given.

10 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I think brisket thinks the only solution is for the EU to declare war on America and fix our problems for us. Like we did for Germany 75 odd years ago.

Well...you're not entirely wrong.

And shit, with DOTUS in charge, we could end up at war with Portugal or some shit (I volunteer for occupation duty in Lisbon, by the way).  But that won't help.  Because the disease that Trump is a symptom of is global.  We're looking back on 75 years of the most peaceful, prosperous era in human history, and in country after country (see Trump, see Brexit, see AFD in Germany, see Poland, see Hungary, see Front Nacional, etc. etc.), saying "fuck that shit!"  We look at an approach that, while of course not perfect, led to a golden age, and saying "naah, let's go back to the ethnic tribalism bullshit that served us so well for all the previous war-torn, plague-ridden centuries!"

Forgive me if I'm a bit vexed by that utter stupidity.

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Melania had the power to stop all Trump's nonsense throughout the campaign.  She was complicit, standing by, a racist, dotty old man in the beginning throes of dementia get the power to launch nukes.  No sympathy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

It's going to have to be Larry Nassar bad.

We've already ran these traps with ol' Roy in Alabama. That would not be enough with the current iteration of the GOP. If Nassar had been a Republican candidate, Hannity would have done nightly hit pieces on McKayla Maroney and Trump would have tweeted out links to each segment. 

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

I don’t know if this guy is qualified to run the VA, but he is not a partisan hack just because he is “trumps physician “. He’s been the whitehouse physician since 2006. He’s a career navy guy with faculty appointments. He may be completely in the bag for trump, but he very well could have just been the last doc trump had encountered when he was told he needed a new head of the VA

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953

looks like he did go to a&m for undergrad, so who knows 

Edited by Sawbonz

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

No one has that power.

She had the power to end the campaign.  If she left him in say, January 2016, there would have been no Trump campaign.   She instead chose to stand by his side at the convention and the debates.

30 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Melania had the power to stop all Trump's nonsense throughout the campaign.  She was complicit, standing by, a racist, dotty old man in the beginning throes of dementia get the power to launch nukes.  No sympathy.

And she has the gall to claim that she's taking a stand against bullying. 

I don't really care about Melania one way or the other.  She is a piece of furniture.  She is pretty to look at, possibly enjoyable to utilize, but I don't have much expectation of critical thought. And that is about as relevant she is. 

My guess is that she is continuously stoned out of her mind on prescription drugs. I know I would have to be if I had her job. 

• Like 2

Melania is also (purportedly) a multi-millionaire, with access to resources including attorneys, child care, whatever, beyond what 99.9999999999% of women stuck in a bad marriage have access to.  She not only got what she bargained for, she chose to stay in the bargain for well over a decade,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Other than acknowledging it would be miserable for anyone to be married to Trump, I don’t see how Melania is a sympathetic character at all really.  She chose to be the third wife and married him when he was old, gross and his treatment of women was public record.  You get what you bargain for.

Tinfoil on:

It would be pretty crazy if Melania turned out to be the Kremlin honeypot the entire time. 

She negotiated a prenup with Donald for at least half his shit if hard evidence emerged he cheated on her.

Russians threw a bunch of hookers at him and taped it knowing  what Melania could legally do to him if the evidence ever became public. 

3-d chess and shit. 

16 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I don't really care about Melania one way or the other.  She is a piece of furniture.  She is pretty to look at, possibly enjoyable to utilize, but I don't have much expectation of critical thought. And that is about as relevant she is. 

My guess is that she is continuously stoned out of her mind on prescription drugs. I know I would have to be if I had her job. 

I bet she is a lazy lay.