Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

18 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

If there is a next President, the Republicans will get their wish as they'll truly have a president who will be forced to bow and apologize.

Not if they play it right. All you need is a President to stand up tall, say Trump was an assclown that didn't really represent America, and that you're here to get back to work. No need to apologize. Exactly zero world leaders take Trump seriously, so none of them will be bent out of shape enough to demand an apology anyway. The real question is whether any gravitas at all can be brought back to the office. Since world leaders realize they can own Trump, they may think the office will now forever carry as little weight as crown prince of England. After all, it has long been possible to deal directly with industry leaders who actually control our govt. 

19 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

How bad does Trump want to host a reality show called The Pardon, where various black folks come and grovel at his feet asking for pardons. At the end of the season he picks a winner.  

Plot twist...

The winner will be Giuliani in blackface

• Like 2

Romney says Trump wins 2020, and GOP retain control over house and senate.  In other news, Utah first state in the union to legalize PCP. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/07/romney-trump-reelection-2020-632995

DEER VALLEY, UTAH — Republican Senate candidate Mitt Romney bluntly predicted here on Thursday evening that President Donald Trump would win reelection in 2020.

Addressing a group of major GOP donors, Romney — who bitterly collided with Trump during the 2016 campaign and implored his party to nominate someone else — also said Trump would easily capture the Republican Party’s 2020 nomination.

He said Trump’s political fortunes would be bolstered by a pair of factors: an improving economy and the likelihood that Democrats would choose an outside-the-mainstream candidate.

“I think President Trump will be re-nominated by my party easily, and I think he’ll be reelected solidly,” Romney said.

“I think that not just because of the strong economy and because people are increasingly seeing rising wages, but I think it’s also true because I think our Democrat friends are likely to nominate someone who is really out of the mainstream of American thought and will make it easier for a president who is presiding over a growing economy,” he added.

Since launching his Utah Senate candidacy earlier this year, Romney has praised some of Trump’s early actions as president while saying he disagrees with the president’s bombastic style.

During a recent interview with NBC News, Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and the GOP’s 2012 nominee, said he wouldn’t “point to the president as a role model for my grandkids on the basis of his personal style. He has departed in some cases from the truth, and has attacked in a way that I think is not entirely appropriate.”

Morning Score newsletter

Your guide to the permanent campaign — weekday mornings, in your inbox.

EmailSign Up

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.

After the 2016 race, the relationship between Trump and Romney warmed somewhat, with the president-elect briefly considering Romney to serve as his secretary of state before ultimately picking ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson. Still, there were signs of strain. Earlier this year, Trump waged an unsuccessful bid to persuade longtime Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch to seek reelection and block Romney.

After Hatch announced that he wouldn’t seek reelection, the president endorsed Romney for the seat.

The remarks came on the opening night of the E2 Summit, an annual Romney-hosted event that draws influential political leaders and donors. This year’s event is expected to draw a number of bold-faced names, including former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, investor Stephen Schwarzman, and House Speaker Paul Ryan, who was Romney’s vice-presidential nominee.

Actor and comedian Seth Rogen is expected to speak on brain health.

Romney also offered a bullish assessment of the GOP’s 2018 midterm prospects, arguing that the party would retain control of both chambers of Congress.

“I think that growth and the higher incomes people are seeing means that Republicans will do just fine in November,” he said. “I think we will hold the House, I think we’ll hold the Senate. I know a lot of pundits don’t believe that. I think we will.”

Romney is heavily favored to capture the Utah Senate seat. He faces a June 26 runoff for the GOP nomination against Mike Kennedy, a conservative state representative.

Romney is picking an odd time to get on the Trump bandwagon.  Utah is also probably the reddest state where Trump is not popular so he's not doing it to win his Senate race.

Edited by kevwun
Brain fart

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Enjoy your front row seats to the destruction of democracy.

And all the gun nuts who think "well regulated militia" means they should be able to own stockpiles of military grade weaponry so they can defend against tyranny will watch it happen without firing a shot. They're wearing their MAGA caps and cheering it on. 

Why is he trying to pardon a shit ton of black folk?  

I’m happy he pardoned Johnson but I can be happy for Johnson while simultaneously recognizing that he’s only doing it as a political tool to shield against his charges of racism. 

I think the reality is that most Republicans love Trump, even if they won't admit it.   Romney probably made out like a bandit from the tax cuts, and shit like that is what guys like Romney really care about.   The moral and other issues of principle they usually pay lip service to are just window dressing. 

LOL at pardon for Mohammed Ali. 

Yeah. I don’t think everyone gets how terrible this is. He spoke about looking carefully and strongly considering the Ali pardon, really playing it up...

There is ZERO chance that Ali being pardoned was discussed at all in the administration for more than 10 seconds, before someone would point out “no conviction...can’t pardon.”

38 minutes ago, retread said:

The Trumpkins have gotten a taste of payback, as they see it, and they love it. The Libs are getting their comeuppance, and the orange horde will likely get in line for Trump 2.0.

Wait till they get their health care rates increase or it flatlines.  That'll be a lol moment.  

14 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Why is he trying to pardon a shit ton of black folk?  

I’m happy he pardoned Johnson but I can be happy for Johnson while simultaneously recognizing that he’s only doing it as a political tool to shield against his charges of racism. 

He doesn't care about the charges of racism.  He either thinks it plays to his base or that if he says "no one loves the blacks more than I do" people will somehow believe his lies.  He doesn't do anything that's not entirely self interested.  He figures if he pardons enough people now, regardless of race, when he pardons himself, Manafort, Flynn, Pence, Javanka, and many others we'll just all be inured to it.

• Like 2

Just now, TornACL said:

He looks fucking terrible. I know the president ages quickly but.....damn he looks terrible.

You think?  Because my reaction was that he hasn't aged a day.  He's always looked that terrible.  

What the fuck would age him--his schedule is the same, and it's not as though he understands any of the issues faced by the country.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Wait till they get their health care rates increase or it flatlines.  That'll be a lol moment.  

This is not how it will go down.  The Rs will say "See!  We told you Obamacare sucks!"  The Trumpkins will look at each other and nod, then say, "Get rid of it!"  The GOP will oblige, leaving them with nothing.  And they'll like it.

Wait, so it's being reported on MSNBC that he wants to pardon about 3,000 more people? 

And he wants the "NFLers" to send him a list of people they thought were treated unfairly by the justice system so he can pardon them? 

What in the actual fuck is going on!?!

4 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Wait, so it's being reported on MSNBC that he wants to pardon about 3,000 more people? 

And he wants the "NFLers" to send him a list of people they thought were treated unfairly by the justice system so he can pardon them? 

What in the actual fuck is going on!?!

He's cynically trying to increase his black vote. 

It won't work.

22 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

He doesn't care about the charges of racism.  He either thinks it plays to his base or that if he says "no one loves the blacks more than I do" people will somehow believe his lies.  He doesn't do anything that's not entirely self interested.  He figures if he pardons enough people now, regardless of race, when he pardons himself, Manafort, Flynn, Pence, Javanka, and many others we'll just all be inured to it.

This is exactly the plan.

Just now, David Dennison said:

The best thing about this summit is that when it's over there's nothing left standing in the way of a showdown with Robert Mueller.

🍿

Are you thinking the master of distraction isn't going to dial up another shiny object?  

C'mon man.

And now the administration has pre-existing conditions in its crosshairs.  Don't think about switching jobs or insurance companies in the future guys.  Keep that nose to the grindstone just where you are now.  Know your place.

https://gizmodo.com/trump-regime-says-obamacare-shouldnt-protect-people-wit-1826662463

According to the article even 59% of Republicans support protection for people with pre-existing conditions.  But I suspect those low level R's aren't donating enough to make their voice heard.

2 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

And now the administration has pre-existing conditions in its crosshairs.  Don't think about switching jobs or insurance companies in the future guys.  Keep that nose to the grindstone just where you are now.  Know your place.

https://gizmodo.com/trump-regime-says-obamacare-shouldnt-protect-people-wit-1826662463

According to the article even 59% of Republicans support protection for people with pre-existing conditions.  But I suspect those low level R's aren't donating enough to make their voice heard.

Excellent.  Just wonderful news.  Trump's polling numbers were never so low as when he was talking about healthcare and tax cuts for the rich.  So he should totally spend all of his time talking about healthcare and tax cuts for the rich.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You think?  Because my reaction was that he hasn't aged a day.  He's always looked that terrible.  

What the fuck would age him--his schedule is the same, and it's not as though he understands any of the issues faced by the country.

Most Presidents get overly stressed from the weight of the job.  Even though Trump gives 0 fucks about the job itself, he does get overly stressed about negative press.  He's never really done much actual "work" in any of his endeavors, but prior to becoming President, he mostly only heard from underlings who heaped praise on him to get what they wanted.  While Obama and W would toss and turn about soldiers losing their lives in the Middle East, Trump tosses and turns about something mean Anderson Cooper said about him.

Look at how Trump handled the call to La David Johnson's widow compared to how Obama and W handled similar calls.  While Obama/W felt stress from guilt and empathy, Trump makes the call while not really caring at all about Johnson.  However, afterward, he feels, arguably, more stressed than Obama/W because he feels personally slighted by press coverage that points out how shitty a person he is.  A normal person would think, "I guess I didn't handle that well and I was a bit shitty to her in her time of loss.  I need to work on that."  A true sociopath would think "I'm right, fuck them."  But Trump doesn't think either of those ways.  Instead he thinks, "Everything I do is great.  Why can't these guys see my greatness?  Please love whatever it is I'm doing."  What really fucks Trump up is that unlike many other narcissistic sociopaths, he needs adoration and acceptance by others.

• Like 1