Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

At least the North Korean people have an excuse for being completely ignorant about their dear leader. What’s this lady’s excuse?

I actually knew an old lady like this that would always say, “Why don’t they just leave him alone?”

I then put on the “Don’t be a sucker” video.

She seemed upset.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

At least the North Korean people have an excuse for being completely ignorant about their dear leader. What’s this lady’s excuse?

Fox News and the GOP have poisoned minds. They cannot think to even a basic level of questioning what they hear and see from their party. In this sense they probably are controlled on a similar level to the North Koreans.

My grandfather is 94 and when my dad asked him what he thought about the election, his answer was "I don't give a shit."  That's what the olds should all be saying.  He knows he only has a few years left and he still plays golf every day and enjoys life.  He doesn't sit in front of the TV and get upset about bullshit.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My grandfather is 94 and when my dad asked him what he thought about the election, his answer was "I don't give a shit."  That's what the olds should all be saying.  He knows he only has a few years left and he still plays golf every day and enjoys life.  He doesn't sit in front of the TV and get upset about bullshit.

Exactly. Once you turn 60 if you still want to or have to you should keep working but other than that, just focus on family, faith and fun. To sit there watching propaganda news television and worry about MS-13 or a bunch of browns invading the country is Insane. That’s how you want to spend your last years? Angry as fuck about crap that doesn’t effect you? 

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He catches flak for taking kids away from parents, so he trots out victims of illegal aliens. 

Bold move that won’t pay off.  A little kid is a little kid. He’s been so detached from the raising of his kids, that he thinks you can demonize little kids. 

But it will work with his base. The innumerates. Because some Muslims are terrorists, they all must be banned. Because some illegal immigrants commit murder, they all must be banned. That's a simple argument of, by, and for simpleminded people. Any class of people can be demonized that way. So if you're white and ignorant and scared of people who are different from you, that's an easy sell. 

George Will says GTFO GOP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/vote-against-the-gop-this-november/2018/06/22/a6378306-7575-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html

Amid the carnage of Republican misrule in Washington, there is this glimmer of good news: The family-shredding policy along the southern border, the most telegenic recent example of misrule, clarified something. Occurring less than 140 days before elections that can reshape Congress, the policy has given independents and temperate Republicans — these are probably expanding and contracting cohorts, respectively — fresh if redundant evidence for the principle by which they should vote.

The principle: The congressional Republican caucuses must be substantially reduced. So substantially that their remnants, reduced to minorities, will be stripped of the Constitution’s Article I powers that they have been too invertebrate to use against the current wielder of Article II powers. They will then have leisure time to wonder why they worked so hard to achieve membership in a legislature whose unexercised muscles have atrophied because of people like them.

Consider the melancholy example of House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (Wis.), who wagered his dignity on the patently false proposition that it is possible to have sustained transactions with today’s president, this Vesuvius of mendacities, without being degraded. In Robert Bolt’s play “A Man for All Seasons,” Thomas More, having angered Henry VIII, is on trial for his life. When Richard Rich, whom More had once mentored, commits perjury against More in exchange for the office of attorney general for Wales, More says: “Why, Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world . . . But for Wales!” Ryan traded his political soul for . . . a tax cut. He who formerly spoke truths about the accelerating crisis of the entitlement system lost everything in the service of a president pledged to preserve the unsustainable status quo.

Ryan and many other Republicans have become the president’s poodles, not because James Madison’s system has failed but because today’s abject careerists have failed to be worthy of it. As explained in Federalist 51: “Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. The interest of the man must be connected with the constitutional rights of the place.” Congressional Republicans (congressional Democrats are equally supine toward Democratic presidents) have no higher ambition than to placate this president. By leaving dormant the powers inherent in their institution, they vitiate the Constitution’s vital principle: the separation of powers.

Recently Sen. Bob Corker, the Tennessee Republican who is retiring , became an exception that illuminates the depressing rule. He proposed a measure by which Congress could retrieve a small portion of the policymaking power that it has, over many decades and under both parties, improvidently delegated to presidents. Congress has done this out of sloth and timidity — to duck hard work and risky choices. Corker’s measure would have required Congress to vote to approve any trade restrictions imposed in the name of “national security.” All Senate Republicans worthy of the conservative label that all Senate Republicans flaunt would privately admit that this is conducive to sound governance and true to the Constitution’s structure. But the Senate would not vote on it — would not allow it to become just the second amendment voted on this year .

This is because the amendment would have peeved the easily peeved president. The Republican-controlled Congress, which waited for Trump to undo by unilateral decree the border folly they could have prevented by actually legislating, is an advertisement for the unimportance of Republican control.

The Trump whisperer regarding immigration is Stephen Miller, 32, whose ascent to eminence began when he became the Savonarola of Santa Monica High School . Corey Lewandowski, a Trump campaign official who fell from the king’s grace but is crawling back (he works for Mike Pence’s political action committee), recently responded on Fox News to the story of a 10-year-old girl with Down syndrome taken from her parents at the border. Lewandowski replied: “Wah, wah.” Meaningless noise is this administration’s appropriate libretto because, just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts.

In today’s GOP, which is the president’s plaything, he is the mainstream. So, to vote against his party’s cowering congressional caucuses is to affirm the nation’s honor while quarantining him. A Democratic-controlled Congress would be a basket of deplorables, but there would be enough Republicans to gum up the Senate’s machinery, keeping the institution as peripheral as it has been under their control and asphyxiating mischief from a Democratic House. And to those who say, “But the judges, the judges!” the answer is: Article III institutionsare not more important than those of Articles I and II combined.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Had the same talk with my 87 year old grandmother why she can't turn off Fox News, and its "I have to be well informed to be a good citizen."  Insert Jennifer Lawrence GIF.

DOTUS threw out a big number for the number of people murdered by immigrants this afternoon.

The original source for Trump’s claim of 63,000 immigrant murders? Bad data from Steve King in 2005.

A bit later on, though, Trump cited a statistic of his own.

“Sixty-three thousand Americans since 9/11 have been killed by illegal aliens. This isn’t a problem that’s going away, it’s getting bigger,” he said. “Sixty-three thousand and that number they say is very low because things aren’t reported. 63,000, and you don’t hear about that.”

No, you don’t. Because it’s demonstrably not true, and it wends its way back to a blog post from 2005 written by none other than Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/06/22/the-original-source-for-trumps-claim-of-63000-immigrant-murders-bad-data-from-steve-king-in-2005/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f1cb99bb07cb

Edited by retread

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trump is Lex Luthor.

Gene Hackman version. 

I’m going to go with anti-christ for now. Liar, narcissist, racist, able to con millions under the guise of Christianity, purposely advocates child abuse, supports a pedophile, etc. fuck him and the sooner he burns in hell the better. Not that I’m advocating violence, just saying the return of a vengeful biblical god wouldn’t be so bad right now.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We need a maximum voting age for the same reasons we have a minimum voting age.

I like that idea. Apply it to driving too.

Actually, your influence on elections should diminish over time. The less time you have to live, the less you can ruin it for everyone else. Something like this:
18-30: vote counts 100%

31-40: 85%

41-50: 70%

51-60: 55%

61-70: 40%

71-80: 25%

81-90: 10%

91-99: 0% - lulz, you're too old to know what's going on... however, if you make it to 100, back to 100% because you earned that shit

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

Russia’s cyberattack on the U.S. electoral system before Donald Trump’s election was far more widespread than has been publicly revealed, including incursions into voter databases and software systems in almost twice as many states as previously reported.

21 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Our olds don’t have to watch Fox News. They choose to.

When I’m my parents age the last fucking thing I’m going to focus on is the God damn political cycle. It’s simply bafffling to me. 

My mom is who really baffles me.  She is all in on Trump.  This is a 79 year old college educated woman, in good health, sound mind, and well enough off-who back in the 1990's refused to get the Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer because she "didn't want some man's damn name" on her vehicle (except for Ford's).

And another thing: I can get it if you voted for Trump. Choices were not great and the risk/reward might have seemed worth it.  I even get it if you want to tote the R parties water and just power through and hold your nose-I have a problem it, with that but I get it.  What I don't get is the complete buy in. after the fact. In my mom's case(and some other olds), I think it ties into her obsession with money. Since the stock market is doing well, she attributes it to Trump as is all in.  She thinks he is some kind of genius.  It is pointless for me to point out the general upward trend of the market long before Trump's presidency and the almost immediate effect of the corporate tax cut.  Also, it is not hard to make money if you are willing to do what Trump has done over the years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Who cares when it was written. What matters is what is our current government doing to combat it. From what I can tell, not much. 

Would you really want this Administration doing anything about it?

I feel more comfortable with the States protecting the vote.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I like that idea. Apply it to driving too.

Actually, your influence on elections should diminish over time. The less time you have to live, the less you can ruin it for everyone else. Something like this:
18-30: vote counts 100%

31-40: 85%

41-50: 70%

51-60: 55%

61-70: 40%

71-80: 25%

81-90: 10%

91-99: 0% - lulz, you're too old to know what's going on... however, if you make it to 100, back to 100% because you earned that shit

You listened to Patton Oswalt's bit on birthdays didn't you?