Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-staffers-are-complain-that-they-cant-date-in-dc-2018-6

"You do the small talk thing, and you have a very good conversation, and then they might say, 'You didn't vote for Trump, right?'" one 31-year-old female administration official told Politico. "As soon as I say, 'Of course I did,' it just devolves into all-caps 'HOW COULD YOU BE SUCH A RACIST AND A BIGOT?' And 'You're going to take away your own birth control.'"

In one recent online exchange, a potential date asked her, "Do you rip babies from their mothers and then send them to Mexico?"

Another match on an dating app told her, "Thanks but no thanks. Just Googled you and it said you were a mouthpiece for the Trump administration. Go f--- yourself."

Many young staffers have turned inward — dating exclusively within the administration.

Womp womp.

• Like 2

AP/WPRI - The Rhode Island Senate has passed a bill that would require presidential and vice presidential candidates to file five years' worth of tax returns in order to appear on the state's ballots.

The Senate voted 33-3 to pass the measure. A House version has been held in a committee.

Senate spokesman Greg Pare says if the bill becomes law, President Donald Trump wouldn't appear on a future ballot unless he filed his returns.

Democratic Sen. Gayle Goldin, who sponsored the bill, did not explicitly mention Trump in vouching for the policy on the Senate floor. She did say that "this president" was the first since Richard Nixon to not voluntarily release his tax returns.

Goldin says the tax returns contain essential information about conflicts of interest that is not otherwise available to the public.

Independent gubernatorial candidate Joe Trillo, who served as chairman of Trump's campaign in Rhode Island in 2016, criticized the Senate bill earlier this week as "one of the most absurd things I've ever heard of." He added that Goldin should be "ashamed" of the measure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

AP/WPRI - The Rhode Island Senate has passed a bill that would require presidential and vice presidential candidates to file five years' worth of tax returns in order to appear on the state's ballots.

The Senate voted 33-3 to pass the measure. A House version has been held in a committee.

Senate spokesman Greg Pare says if the bill becomes law, President Donald Trump wouldn't appear on a future ballot unless he filed his returns.

Democratic Sen. Gayle Goldin, who sponsored the bill, did not explicitly mention Trump in vouching for the policy on the Senate floor. She did say that "this president" was the first since Richard Nixon to not voluntarily release his tax returns.

Goldin says the tax returns contain essential information about conflicts of interest that is not otherwise available to the public.

Independent gubernatorial candidate Joe Trillo, who served as chairman of Trump's campaign in Rhode Island in 2016, criticized the Senate bill earlier this week as "one of the most absurd things I've ever heard of." He added that Goldin should be "ashamed" of the measure.

200.gif

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think you’re missing my point. Our pressure shouldn’t be on Congress or solving kid problem.  Our pressure should be on the media and where they should focus their attention.

That is the biggest weapon we have.  It’s the only thing Trump can’t get around and it ate him alive this week.  Keep pushing on this self inflicted wound to influence people to mobilize and vote.

Also, community outreach and voter registration.

I'm with Hugo that the media maintaining focus on this will keep hurting Trump, them rushing and focusing on every new scandal lets all his shit get lots in the noise. The media's insanely long coverage of Hillary's Email Server absolutely shaped public opinion against her, if they did the same with Trump on a single set of issues it could very well help voter turnout.

Forty-two percent of Americans think President Trumpshould be impeached and removed from office, according to a new CNN poll.

The survey found that support for impeaching Trump is divided along party lines, with backing from 77 percent of Democrats and just 9 percent of Republicans.

Overall support for impeaching Trump is at a level similar to the public's view of President Nixon in 1974. CNN notes that support for impeaching Nixon reached 73 percent in March 1974. But that survey, conducted by Harris Poll, took place after many crucial points in the Watergate scandal, including after the Senate Watergate hearings, after the "Saturday Night Massacre" and after it became known that Nixon bugged the Oval Office.

Nixon resigned in August 1974 before any impeachment vote came up.

9 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I'm with Hugo that the media maintaining focus on this will keep hurting Trump, them rushing and focusing on every new scandal lets all his shit get lots in the noise. The media's insanely long coverage of Hillary's Email Server absolutely shaped public opinion against her, if they did the same with Trump on a single set of issues it could very well help voter turnout.

I agree re: media coverage.  My point is about contributions, whether in money or time.  Donating cash to legal aid for immigrants is a good deed and will help an individual or two.  But it won’t do diddly squat to remove Trump from office.  It’s just stomping out one fire when there’s a serial arsonist running loose with a gas tanker and a blowtorch.  

Each of these events and the media coverage they generate should be used to funnel money and attention to organizations working to elect Trump opponents.  That’s how you stop him.  Not by following in his wake and paying to clean up the latest mess.

Edited by BrickHorn

Just now, BrickHorn said:

I agree re: media coverage.  My point is about contributions, whether in money or time.  Donating cash to legal aid for immigrants is a good deed and will help an individual or two.  But it won’t do diddly squat to remove Trump from office.  It’s just stomping out one fire when there’s a serial arsonist running loose.  

Each of these events and the media coverage they generate should be used to funnel money and attention to organizations working to elect Trump opponents.  That’s how you stop him.  Not by following in his wake and paying to clean up the latest mess.

I think a lot of people are doing both, I personally am. I have donated to more non-profit groups and left-leaning action groups more than I ever have in my life in the past year and a half. The people who are downright sickened by this know who is responsible and so many of them are mobilizing, we've seen it in the various special elections during this administration.

However, I, like you, am very concerned about the integrity of the voting security systems. I have a dread we're going to see a lot of close elections that tip in favor of the GOP for various reasons come November.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I think a lot of people are doing both, I personally am. I have donated to more non-profit groups and left-leaning action groups more than I ever have in my life in the past year and a half. The people who are downright sickened by this know who is responsible and so many of them are mobilizing, we've seen it in the various special elections during this administration.

However, I, like you, am very concerned about the integrity of the voting security systems. I have a dread we're going to see a lot of close elections that tip in favor of the GOP for various reasons come November.

yeah, not good. not good at all

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I have to think that is unconstitutional and will be voided by the SC.

19 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

DOTUS has only ever mentioned the Russian hacking in a passing manner. Maybe once or twice he has mumbled something about getting to the bottom of it. I'm not sure we've done anything to prevent future hacks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, retread said:

DOTUS has only ever mentioned the Russian hacking in a passing manner. Maybe once or twice he has mumbled something about getting to the bottom of it. I'm not sure we've done anything to prevent future hacks.

There were federal funds issued to address this issue to the States actually, many of which haven't done jack shit with it (like mine). I wonder why?

13 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Constitution is pretty clear about the requirements for the presidency.

No, the Constitution is pretty clear about the minimum requirements for presidential candidates.  States come up with all kinds of laws about what allows for a person to be on a state's ballot and what disqualifies them.  Why does this particular law strike you as beyond the pale, when other laws, such as having a certain number of signatures, are ok? Serious question here, by the way, I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something.

44 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I think a lot of people are doing both, I personally am. 

Maybe.  But I’m not seeing it.  My Facebook feed is littered with shared posts soliciting contributions and volunteers for immigrant advocacy groups.  But there’s jack shit on there about solving the real problem by supporting only Trump opposition candidates in the midterms, registering to vote, pushing the message, etc.  It’s all “Let’s get out there and help the immigrant children!”  

Like I said, that’s a fine thing to do.  But it’s just slapping a bandaid on a malignant melanoma.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We need a maximum voting age for the same reasons we have a minimum voting age.

Her age is not the problem.  It’s that she’s a sucker.  Trumps a con artist, and she’s an easy mark.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

No, the Constitution is pretty clear about the minimum requirements for presidential candidates.  States come up with all kinds of laws about what allows for a person to be on a state's ballot and what disqualifies them.  Why does this particular law strike you as beyond the pale, when other laws, such as having a certain number of signatures, are ok? Serious question here, by the way, I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something.

If I remember correctly, there were quite a few state legislators that attempted to get additional requirements added for birth certificates after the 2012 election. I don't think any of them were advanced, mostly because they wouldn't hold up in federal court. I could be wrong about that, but most legal advisors argued these changes would need to be made at the constitutional level.

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

On a completely unrelated note, did you guys ever hear about the "empty jewelry box"  scam that Trump pulled?  I could not believe I had not heard of this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanellis/2016/03/08/donald-trump-and-the-empty-jewelry-box-tax-scam/#dab67de6a6bc

That makes him smart.

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Her age is not the problem.  It’s that she’s a sucker.  Trumps a con artist, and she’s an easy mark.

Maybe for her specifically, but on a larger scale, far too many seniors want to just turn the clock back on a world and society that has passed them by.  20 years ago it was email forwards, now they believe every photoshopped Facebook meme on their feed, lock it in their brains, and take it with them to the voting booth. They think that the "Sean Hannity Fans" Facebook fanpage is a legitimate news source.  They tend to be overwhelmingly selfish and, like this woman, many have lost their grip on reality.

It's also possible I'm just being a generalizing asshole, and that's fair.  

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trump is Lex Luthor.

Gene Hackman version. 

Any version of Lex Luthor is was way too smart.  He's the Hulk without all the strength, muscles and green tinge.  Plus he can't jump but they both share the same vocabulary and deal making attributes.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump is doing a propaganda event with victims of undocumented immigrants right now speaking about how we gotta keep the bad people out.

If you think about it, aren't we all victims of undocumented immigrants? They're murderers and rapists who come here to live off of the welfare and take siestas. We all pay. Sad. Not the road to greatness. Do something!

53 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

lol. i can't even imagine a situation more shitty than this. this is perfectly who we are as a society

we ignore science, numbers, common sense, love, forgiveness, helping the disadvantaged, all of it. and instead we prefer a 2 second shot at fake fame and idol worship. we are dead in the water.