Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

24 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I'll never understand the propensity of ordinary Americans to suck up and lick the boots of billionaires.  A nation of boot lickers.  Meanwhile...

DiUJkoJU8AALpgH.jpg:large

This is why the Republicans will eventually be fucked. The "What's the Matter with Kansas" crowd will at some point in the future have a day when they realize they haven't had a raise 15 years, they owe $100K to the hospital and the news of the day is that Jeff Bezoz is now worth $200B. 

31 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Those tariffs kicking in is going to coincide with their healthcare premiums skyrocketing because of Trump. There are going to be a lot of diabetics in the midwest who are not going to be happy, especially when they don't have a black guy to blame it on anymore.   

I'll bet you're underestimating them. 

47 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He will be ok with Nebraska republicans once the tariffs start fucking midwest farmers in earnest.  It is the one thing Trump can't blame Obama for that is also going to directly hurt a large chunk of his base.

I dunno. Based on everything I'm seeing, I'm reasonably certain that Trump supporters would rather lose their job and house that have Democrats take power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

No shit.  Blaming Obama and EMAILS are all that matters to these people.

The GOP's whole game is to keep everyone focused cultural and identity issues.  For good reason, too, as many of their voters don't actually like Republican economic policy.

16-left-vs-right-chart-1.nocrop.w710.h21

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

- Neil Gorsuch
- Brett Kavanaugh
- Tax cuts
- Widespread deregulation

I, also, could go on and on.

If it could have just as easily happened on the D side, why didn't it? He tossed a coin and it landed, coincidentally, on the elephant instead of the donkey?

No, the American conservative movement has gone down an obvious path that led it to this point. From Goldwater to Palin, you can trace the path to this presidency without much effort, regardless of what the more upper-crust conservatives want to believe.

Sure and those 4 you named has zero to do with Russian collusion and hating browns/gays.  

If a R President made the 4 moves you mentioned your ass might still be melting down but 75% of the country wouldn’t and shouldn’t.  And I’ll agree the tax plan was an overreach but that’s politics   Dog whistling to Bigots is not...not in this country, and not til now, I mean.

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'll bet you're underestimating them. 

Exactly. Listen to Marketplace on NPR where they interview farmers and manufacturers who are being affected by the tariffs and voted for Trump. They all are still 100% behind him, even if his actions hurt their livelihoods. 

40 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I'll never understand the propensity of ordinary Americans to suck up and lick the boots of billionaires.  A nation of boot lickers.  Meanwhile...

It's because many Americans buy into the notion that one day they will be rich. What they fail to understand is that the rich have become that way by redistributing wealth from the bottom up.

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Sure and those 4 you named has zero to do with Russian collusion and hating browns/gays.  

Duck, dodge, and weave.

Donald Trump, optics and decorum aside, is a solid GOP president in terms of enacted policies. He is the leader of the conservative movement in America and has followed through with staunchly conservative moves in his leadership.

If a R President made the 4 moves you mentioned your ass might still be melting down but 75% of the country wouldn’t and shouldn’t.

And this is why people like you are never going to be any fucking help despite your, "I will sigh and vote for some Dems in 2018" bullshit. The only difference between you and swam is that you care about your image. At the core of it, you want to own the libs. It's in the reactionary conservative DNA to operate primarily out of spite.

And you're extremely wrong about the popularity of the GOP platform. People hate the tax cuts. People hate the idea of overturning Roe. People hate deregulation, especially as it relates to the environment. The ONLY way the conservative worldview passes political muster is if it is tied to hating the browns and gays, and that has been true for decades and decades.

And I’ll agree the tax plan was an overreach but that’s politics   Dog whistling to Bigots is not...not in this country, and not til now, I mean.

Dog whistling to bigots is not what? Normal GOP politics? Are you serious?

Edited by bad_teammate

43 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Wowsers

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Huh... remember that infamous oval office meeting with Kislyak when Trump banned US press and exposed classified material ? Newly exposed Russian spy #Butina was there

DiSVdmvVAAAFNpD?format=jpg

Lol, hilarious. The Brits have a saying about women up to no good and trying to look innocent: "You'd think butter wouldn't melt in her mouth." 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, if they're 18 months into this presidency and still think 100-page briefing books are going to work, they should be fired for being retards. He doesn't want to read. The "movie trailer" briefings are a great idea though.

They might need to be cartoons. Or maybe a comic book. 

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

It’s not a pee tape.  That would just be humiliating.  Trump the narcissist who only cares about himself and boosting his self-perception acted against those irresistible instincts in meeting with Putin and getting on stage to be his bitch in front of the world.  Whatever konpromat exists — and there’s no longer any question it does — is far more serious. I’m guessing something that could result in significant jail time for him or one of his kids.  Maybe worse.  For him,  it wouldn’t take much jail to be a life sentence.

It's either him with some jailbait, or just maybe a regular sex tape that gets a good shot of his tiny pecker. If there's one thing he'd rather the public not see other than his tax returns, it's his wee lil' Donnie. 

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Exactly. Listen to Marketplace on NPR where they interview farmers and manufacturers who are being affected by the tariffs and voted for Trump. They all are still 100% behind him, even if his actions hurt their livelihoods. 

These interviews are interesting, and I listen to them, but it's too early for this stuff.

We always seem to forget that these things take time. No one is going to really have an opinion on this shit until the policy starts actually impacting their livelihood. You can tell someone it's going to be bad, but they're not seeing diminished bank accounts, etc. yet. I will be more interested in these types of interviews in 6-12 months.

Edited by TornACL

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

These interviews are interesting, and I listen to them, but it's too early for this stuff.

We always seem to forget that these things take time. No one is going to really have an opinion on this shit until the policy starts actually impacting their livelihood. You can tell someone it's going to be bad, but they're not seeing diminished bank accounts, etc. yet. I will be more interested in these types of interviews in 6-12 months.

Certainly there are a lot of people who think Trump will bluff his way into some great trade deals.  Hell, his tweet about Harley was pretty much admitting he was bluffing. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Anyone with any experience in management, the executive field, etc., knows EXACTLY what they are watching go down.  Trump is the simplest and easiest type of asset there is.  He thinks he's this:

4dchesss.JPG

When really, he's this:

Chess_piece_-_White_pawn.jpg

He'll go wherever on the board Putin wants him to go, because Putin knows how to get him to make any move that Putin wants, all while letting DOTUS think it's his idea.  That's the best kind of asset to have -- the person who doesn't even know he's an asset.

tumblr_m5p3fh3d9b1rn95k2o1_500.gif?w=640

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Bad_Teammate is doing a nice job of exemplifying how Democrats are out of power and a roadmap for not capitalizing on Trump’s lack of popularity.

ChiTown: “I want to vote Democrat even though I agree with a lot of traditional GOP ideas because I’m that disgusted with the new direction of the GOP.”

BT: “Oh yeah, well fuck you!  You’re just as bad as any Trumpkin fascist Nazi! Admit you don’t like low taxes and deregulation!  Confess!”

ChiTown: ”I think you’re misunderstanding me.  Even though I don’t necessarily disagree with traditional Republican fiscal policy, I’m saying I’m going to support Democrats anyway and try to help your side get back in power.”

BT: “Heretic!  Burn him! Do it before he votes.  We don’t want your tainted vote!”

well he's a complete lunatic, so...yeah.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Bad_Teammate is doing a nice job of exemplifying how Democrats are out of power and a roadmap for not capitalizing on Trump’s lack of popularity.

Hillary's plan was literally to win over college educated conservatives who were fully "My word!" over Trump's grotesque behavior. The path to progress does not come from winning over the extremely wealthy conservative class whose policies are unpopular with the masses of people and are sold primarily via racial resentment.

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

Certainly there are a lot of people who think Trump will bluff his way into some great trade deals.  Hell, his tweet about Harley was pretty much admitting he was bluffing. 

I don't know if it was on the old site, or somewhere else, but what has stuck with me is the following quote:

Donald Trump is what stupid people think that rich, successful people look like.

They certainly want him to "make deals" and they probably celebrated the Harley tweet. But they don't realize that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I'd be willing to bet Herbert Hoover was still popular among the common clay of the American west well after the stock market crash. 

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Duck, dodge, and weave.

Donald Trump, optics and decorum aside, is a solid GOP president in terms of enacted policies. He is the leader of the conservative movement in America and has followed through with staunchly conservative moves in his leadership.

And this is why people like you are never going to be any fucking help despite your, "I will sigh and vote for some Dems in 2018" bullshit. The only difference between you and swam is that you care about your image. At the core of it, you want to own the libs. It's in the reactionary conservative DNA to operate primarily out of spite.

And you're extremely wrong about the popularity of the GOP platform. People hate the tax cuts. People hate the idea of overturning Roe. People hate deregulation, especially as it relates to the environment. The ONLY way the conservative worldview passes political muster is if it is tied to hating the browns and gays, and that has been true for decades and decades.

Dog whistling to bigots is not what? Normal GOP politics? Are you serious?

Listen everyone here knows you’re as far left as they get.  That’s a lot of words to say you’ve been waiting for a chance to rip on any and all Republicans.  Congrats?

But don't worry, establishment Democrats are fully-erect over the idea of lifetime conservatives giving them a few one-time votes in 2018 and are actively fighting against any leftward movement in the Democratic base. Hillary would happily burn 20 progressives to get one ChiTown.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Listen everyone here knows you’re as far left as they get.  That’s a lot of words to say you’ve been waiting for a chance to rip on any and all Republicans.  Congrats?

Waiting? Republicans are shit. I've never said anything differently.

The fact that some of you are very briefly tempted to not be complete monsters doesn't impress me. As soon as a politically palatable representative is put on the ticket, you and your lot will gleefully strip regulations, slash welfare spending, dramatically increase the military, double down on the back-the-blue police state, oppose universal healthcare, and basically oppose every progressive agenda item conceivable.

Some of you expect high-fives for saying you'll vote for some Dems in 2018.

I'm so proud of you guys for being so dense it took Donald Trump to get you to temporarily notice how inhuman your entire political worldview is. Pardon me if I don't go running towards Lucy as she holds the football.

• Like 3

Just now, Tuco said:

Tell me BT, if Trump had the economic polices you endorsed, but was still Trump (shitting on our allies, putting kids in cages, generally being a fucking moron), would you vote for him? 

I would not vote for him if he put kids in cages, no.

But if he was a dick to our allies and acted like a moron on twitter, but still successfully got a huge tax hike on the wealthy, slashed at generational wealth, enacted a jobs guarantee with a living wage, secured universal healthcare, then I would vote for him with the biggest smile on my face.

That's my point.

The underlying reality of what the "oh my word!" fainting count and furrowed brow Republicans want has not changed. Their support for the Democrats in 2018 is both temporary and pointless. It's virtue signalling at best.

Definitely agree with BT that this is a feature, not a bug, of the GOP. Trump is by far the most easily manipulated and the dumbest candidate they've ever put forth, but his rise was laid in years of blaming the mean libs and Barack Hussein Obama that McConnell was so successful in doing. Even before that Newt Gingrich really ushered in this type of anti-intellectualism GOP in the early 2000s, this isn't a GOP party that only changed in 2016.

ChiTown is a rich guy Republican. Their policies are unpopular and their policies alone cannot win national elections. For many, many decades, rich guy Republicans have had an uncomfortable marriage with the slathering bigots to form a conservative coalition. For decades, the rich guy Republicans could control the GOP and reliably get the slathering hordes to come and vote. Enter Donald Trump, and the power dynamic has shifted. The slathering horde is in control and the rich guy Republicans are just SHOCKED!

Furrowed-brow, very-concerned Republicans coming to the left looking for a temporary home are like a man who set his own house on fire knocking your door saying, "Can you spare a room for the night? I think we can both agree that burning houses are bad" as he continues to hold a can of gasoline and box of matches.

No, fuck off. Put the gas and matches away and we'll talk, but if your sole concern is having to deal with the logical endpoint of your worldview, please kindly go the fuck away.

3 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Definitely agree with BT that this is a feature, not a bug, of the GOP. Trump is by far the most easily manipulated and the dumbest candidate they've ever put forth, but his rise was laid in years of blaming the mean libs and Barack Hussein Obama that McConnell was so successful in doing. Even before that Newt Gingrich really ushered in this type of anti-intellectualism GOP in the early 2000s, this isn't a GOP party that only changed in 2016.

Republicans certainly have had no reservations about electing dim bulbs over the last 40 years. Poppy Bush was an outlier.

To BT.

So, you would prioritize his despicableness over the economic policies.  I'm not going to pretend to agree with disillusioned Republicans on their economic/fiscal policies, but I will give them credit for the correct priority on other issues.  And I will certainly welcome them to the resistance.

And, while everyone is talking about the "death of the Republican Party," it should be clear that regardless of what happens, a single party system is neither preferable nor stable.  There will be a two party system in America.  Whether that second party has an elephant logo is irrelevant to me. 

Edited by Tuco

4 minutes ago, Tuco said:

So, you would prioritize his despicableness over the economic policies.  I'm not going to pretend to agree with disillusioned Republicans on their economic/fiscal policies, but I will give them credit for the correct priority on other issues.  And I will certainly welcome them to the resistance.

And, while everyone is talking about the "death of the Republican Party," it should be clear that regardless of what happens, a single party system is neither preferable nor stable.  There will be a two party system in America.  Whether that second party has an elephant logo is irrelevant to me. 

Too bad we can't have a NO party system.  Wouldn't it be great if we voted according to the candidates' ideas instead of their logo?

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

There will necessarily be a second party because there are too many people who oppose abortion and GLBT eroding religious rights. Whether that party is relevant or not, is the question. Who knows, I can't predict culture wars or their outcomes.

Both parties have done an excellent job of splitting the vote, give or take 10%, for the last 150 years. I don't think that will change. 

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

So, you would prioritize his despicableness over the economic policies.

Depending on what you mean by "despicableness", sure. Absolutely.

Nothing I've ever said or professed to believe should lead you to believe that decorum and civility are high on my list of important leadership qualities.

Remember, I'm the "the best way to talk to a Nazi is with a fist in the face" guy.

I'm not going to pretend to agree with disillusioned Republicans on their economic/fiscal policies, but I will give them credit for the correct priority on other issues.  And I will certainly welcome them to the resistance.

Resistance to what? Lack of decorum?

If that's all, then you're part of the problem and I want no part of #TheResistance

Let the Republican party fix itself. No one is stopping them except themselves.

Just now, DixonHur said:

Too bad we can't have a NO party system.  Wouldn't it be great if we voted according to the candidates' ideas instead of their logo?

I see it as evolution. Creatures evolve to fit an environment.  Time and time again, you see convergent evolution where different evolutionary branches evolve similar physical characteristics or behaviors as unrelated counterparts.  Lions hunt antelope in similar ways to how wolves hunt caribou. If you want a different animal, you need a different environment.

If you want a different party system, you need a different political system.  I think parliaments tend to support multiparty system.  A no-party system lasted about 4-8 years by the US political environment.  It wasn't sustainable.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Like 1