Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

59 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

The first one of these was posted 40 minutes ago. Can't figure out why the hell he takes so long in between posts. It's not like he's taking time to spell or fact check. I'm picturing him trying to write his tweets on an old flip phone and having to use the numbers on the dialer to scroll through and get to the different letters. 

Triggered.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/11/kasichs-camp-slams-gop-effort-to-head-off-primary-vs-trump-1054858

Trump-aligned Republican activists in New Hampshire are quietly maneuvering to fortify his standing and avoid a potentially disruptive primary challenge in 2020.

In the most far-reaching move, Donald Trump’s allies are looking to scrap the state GOP’s tradition of remaining neutral in the primary — to clear the way for an endorsement of the president. They’re also moving to install one of their own as head of the state Republican Party.

The efforts wouldn’t stop a moderate Republican like John Kasich from taking on Trump. But they are designed to shield the president from the kind of damage that a serious primary fight could do to him heading into the general election. An endorsement would provide much more than just a verbal statement of support: It would enable the New Hampshire Republican Party to throw the weight of its entire apparatus behind Trump against any GOP rival.

A top strategist to Kasich said the attempt to stack the deck for the incumbentwill have no bearing on whether the outgoing Ohio governor decides to run, or on his ultimate success given the significant bloc of independent voters there.

But the early moves on behalf of Trump, which are being closely monitored by the president’s 2020 reelection campaign and outside advisers, demonstrate the degree to which the state party has coalesced behind the president and is working to head off a serious problem before one emerges.

One of the endorsement measure’s proponents, Bruce Breton, said he was motivated by the “hundreds of Trump supporters” he’s heard from since he declined to seek the state GOP’s vice chairmanship because of the “flawed” neutrality requirement. 

“They don’t want [a] primary fight,” Breton, who is close to former Trump campaign manager and New Hampshire native Corey Lewandowski, said of his state cohorts. “I think it will galvanize the president’s supporters."

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:
Probably sounds worse in the original German.

Thank God Trump stopped the immigrants from wiping us out with smallpox and cholera.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

A Great Wall.

Of Gina

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

The first one of these was posted 40 minutes ago. Can't figure out why the hell he takes so long in between posts. It's not like he's taking time to spell or fact check. I'm picturing him trying to write his tweets on an old flip phone and having to use the numbers on the dialer to scroll through and get to the different letters. 

His smart phone has learned to auto-correct every word to “covfefe” so he has to override it constantly.

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Lulz.  Party stacking the deck for one candidate.  Gosh,  that hasn’t happened since [checks calendar] last election. 

Pretty telling that they are scared somebody will challenge Trump (and not just Kasich).  I still don’t see Trump running for one reason or another, but it’s interesting nonetheless.  

Tnfoil hat time - they are worried about Pence being challenged.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Everyone's aware that no new wall construction has taken place, right?  It's insane that he can lie like this without consequence.

He is aching to bash fake news for mentioning that Donald Jr and Ivanka had contact with Russians during the campaign or transition. However, if he says something he’s going to draw his base’s attention to the reports that they had contact with the Russians. 

So he falls back on the wall and illegal immigrants. 

To be clear, I'm assuming Trump paid it himself out of his pocket.    If he used donor money, that would be an entirely different thing.  Or if his charity did.   I get the fact that it is a crime to use your own funds to pay off a ho that might get you bad press in an election.  Exceeds campaign limits.   That is more technical. 

Using someone else's funds is far more serious.

Why would anyone assume Trump pays money out of his own pocket?

http:// https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/us/politics/stormy-daniels-trump-payment.html

In a normal world, it would be the story of the decade and would lead to a resignation or impeachment.

18 hours ago, horn4life said:

This period of time will be looked back historically as one of the most dangerous for our democracy.  The deep corruption of the President will be an obvious topic, but the scariest part will be the embrace and protection given by his supporting party.  Even our founding fathers failed to anticipate that wrinkle. As they honestly believed that patriotism would always win out and that is why the system of checks and balances would conceivably work. To be honest nearly everyone, myself included thought that some congressional oversight with a combination of a few adults in the room might temper Trump.  Instead Trump's party decided to justify anything if they could get a Supreme Justice or two.  

I guess the only thing certain beyond the historical significance of this time is that you can be nearly certain that in about 30 years if the GOP regains control of Texas. That the Texas State School Board will try to remove the section about the collusion of the GOP House and Senate in protecting Trump...

Come on man, this has been in the works for years. If either Bush or even Reagan had been this corrupt, R's would have done the exact same thing.

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The destruction of the gop will be one of the best things to happen to our form of government in quite a while. Hopefully we see a splintering into three or more overall parties. The dichotomy of the current system is an abortion. 

There will always only be two parties in our system. Any number above that will be small and relatively insignificant, like today's libertarian and green parties.

Dangerous era for democracy, I agree, but that's not really about Donald Trump. That's more about the Republican voter base.

George W. Bush used a devastating terrorist attack to launch a region-destabilizing holy war that has killed millions of people and cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Absolutely nothing Donald Trump has done (or even thinks about doing) reaches 1/1000th that level of destruction and horror.

Yes, Trump is bad and we should get him out, but we really need to make sure we do not jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

• Like 2

Dangerous era for democracy, I agree, but that's not really about Donald Trump. That's more about the Republican voter base.
George W. Bush used a devastating terrorist attack to launch a region-destabilizing holy war that has killed millions of people and cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Absolutely nothing Donald Trump has done (or even thinks about doing) reaches 1/1000th that level of destruction and horror.
Yes, Trump is bad and we should get him out, but we really need to make sure we do not jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

We will. There is no cure for a cancer that occupies 40% of your body.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The damage Trump is doing is to America. And democracy. It's debatable whether he's yet surpassed Dubya as worst president in history. Yet. We're only two years in. 

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Trump hasn't had that particular opportunity.   Trump in that position would be on a scale of 10 times worse.

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

bush had the opportunity. trump has not yet.

but yes, i agree that this is a very dangerous era for democracy. the greatest threat to democracy, imo, is for those voters to cede it away. we've seen it happen globally. look no further than venezuela. chavez was elected. to this day, the chavistas are a thing. i think of those dudes wearing the "i'd rather be russian than democrat" shirt. the most dangerous thing is when people decide to cut off their nose to spite their face. they would rather surrender democracy than to be wrong. 

that's the greatest danger, imo. trump is a manifestation of it, but he is not he root cause.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I'd love to see all of that wall on Texas ranch land. That would be something.

In some places you might see actual armed insurrection. That wall would cut off a lot of ranchers' access to water rights from the River. A lot of the rancher types are already pissed at BP fucking up dirt roads, leaving gates open, generally acting like assholes.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pretty telling that they are scared somebody will challenge Trump (and not just Kasich).  I still don’t see Trump running for one reason or another, but it’s interesting nonetheless.  

Tnfoil hat time - they are worried about Pence being challenged.

Trump may run to forestall indictment and prosecution.