Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

I have been %100 behind the push for the movement as it’s been evolving in our country.  But....

The eyes of Texas are upon you...all the live long days.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...you cannot get away.

Do not think you can escape them...they rise so early in the morn’.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...til Gabriel blows his horn.

I’m just now t sure what I’m missing as the racial innuendos in this song.  Open to listening, but I need an explanation.

There aren’t any. It debuted at a minstrel show. That’s the extent of it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Loather said:

I am really sorry everyone, but I still remember a few months ago. When people were not intimidated and afraid to even speak. What a bunch of scared little ladies we've become. So a few spoiled athletes with a free ride through college are digging around, just trying to find something to be offended about? You mean that same bunch of kids that quit on us last year? The group that watched the Big 12 Championship on TV? They are throwing down ultimatums? Well, don't let the door hit you in the ass. What a bunch of ingrates. I would rather watch a bunch of 2 star walk-ons that at least give the game everything they have. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the school song. That's really a stretch. By that standard just about everything is racist. I say piss on their demands. 

This followed by the rest of your statement is just so fucking perfectly ignorant. Bravo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It really doesn’t matter at this point. Anyone who disagrees with the players stance will be branded a racist. It’s a done deal at this point

Well, no. But you’ll be branded as someone who lacks the perspective to speak on the issue unless you’re an African American athlete at The University of Texas. And that’s fair.

• Like 2

Look I will sing whatever. I am proud of my degree and proud of my school. I have always supported the players. 

I am just now stuck on “we’ve lost 60 games in the last ten years.” I hadn’t really realized (I mean I know we haven’t been very good—have season tickets and all that) how shitty we have been. 

Also, I don’t think some people realize how shitty some of their comments are on this thread. Hook’em! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Well, no. But you’ll be branded as someone who lacks the perspective to speak on the issue unless you’re an African American athlete at The University of Texas. And that’s fair.

Funny, I didn’t realize The Eyes belonged only to African American athletes.  Perhaps there are other perspectives to take into account here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Funny, I didn’t realize The Eyes belonged only to African American athletes.  Perhaps there are other perspectives to take into account here.

Not in regards to sporting events where they are being subjected to it if that’s not what they want. Commencements and other university functions are another matter.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

This followed by the rest of your statement is just so fucking perfectly ignorant. Bravo.

Does being a spineless follower make you feel righteous?  You must be one of the Good People. Congratulations. What these players are doing requires no courage. it's the current fad. Black people in the 60's in Alabama speaking out - that's courage. What these guys are doing is making a mockery of the civil rights movement. Claiming people are "ignorant" is so tired.

Edited by Loather
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Loather said:

Does being a spineless follower make you feel righteous?  You must be one of the Good People. Congratulations. What these players are doing requires no courage. it's the current fad, Black people in the 60's in Alabama speaking out - that's courage. What these guys are doing is making a mockery of the civil rights movement. Claiming people are "ignorant" is so tired.

You stating people are too scared to talk without ridicule these days and then doing that exact fucking thing when these students speak up for what they want is ignorant, yes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Stephen F. Austin owned slaves and the name “Texas” is a supremely ironic example of cultural appropriation (hey, “friends,” mind if we drive you from your land?).

We should probably burn the whole University to the ground and start over.

Let's start with the agricultural branch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

I cannot argue with another persons feelings. That being said should not my feelings around a song and a university matter as well?

Growing up with Texas football brought joy and also a lot of heartache. My old man would always have us stay to the end to sing the eyes. As I kid I remember singing the song with tears in my eyes when PSU beat us bad in the Fiesta or when we lost to Notre Dame at home in 90 something. Don’t get me started on some of those OU games. 

No matter the outcome of the game you stood and sang the song and I felt proud even if we were beaten. Because we had that song, and we got to sing it, and the other team did not. 

So I am sorry that I don’t want to see the song removed just like that. I could care less what a building is called on campus. But the eyes, damn, that would be tough.  

Hopefully there is a dialogue to get the feelings out and we can figure out how to move forward with The Eyes of Texas. 

• Like 3

The players should have every right to not sing the song. Their choice and free country.

The University is not a football team. Millions of students, faculty and professors came before this group of football players. Their voices should not be silenced for a football team. 

Take a vote through the long horn foundation and current students. Majority rules. 

By their definition, the Star Spangled Banner should also not be sung as it was created during slavery and sang at segregated venues. Most of the other demands are somewhat reasonable and debatable. 

As for “donations”, keep it local and on point. Have the university start a funding and mentoring program with professors and current students that seeks to help our states lowest performing schools. Supplies, textbooks, training, student internships etc. Create more scholarships, endowments and grants for these communities and students. Be a leader in Texas public education. 

Use the money directly to help Texas communities, not a national fundraising arm. 

Majority rules lead to entrenched systemic racism.

26 minutes ago, Jcsatx said:

I guess I was too subtle for you.  In your opinion this is not an important example of racism.  In their opinion it is.  Maybe you’ll be able to help them define “important” racism.  

You are new here so i'll entertain you one last time.  You mistook subtlety for being on point and now you fail to restate my opinion.       

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was always under the impression that the song was mocking the school president at the time. It was satire. The fact that the guys singing it were in blackface to me seems besides the point. It's like throwing out the declaration of independence because Jefferson owned slaves. All men being created equal of course. We are confusing the messenger with the message. And if our black student athletes are offended by that, then I can still respect that opinion. I'm not black. I'm not qualified to say what they should be offended by. 

I do know however, that I'm 50 years old and still get chills singing the eyes in the cotton bowl after beating Oklahoma's ass. I sang it at my commencement. That song has great meaning for me. I never once knew about any sort of racist history or association with it. I'd be disappointed if it went away but I get it. 

This is where I’d think most reasonable people would be.  But lately I haven’t seen too many reasonable people...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was always under the impression that the song was mocking the school president at the time. It was satire. The fact that the guys singing it were in blackface to me seems besides the point. It's like throwing out the declaration of independence because Jefferson owned slaves. All men being created equal of course. We are confusing the messenger with the message. And if our black student athletes are offended by that, then I can still respect that opinion. I'm not black. I'm not qualified to say what they should be offended by. 

I do know however, that I'm 50 years old and still get chills singing the eyes in the cotton bowl after beating Oklahoma's ass. I sang it at my commencement. That song has great meaning for me. I never once knew about any sort of racist history or association with it. I'd be disappointed if it went away but I get it. 

Same for me

homerun.gif

6 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I cannot argue with another persons feelings. That being said should not my feelings around a song and a university matter as well?

Growing up with Texas football brought joy and also a lot of heartache. My old man would always have us stay to the end to sing the eyes. As I kid I remember singing the song with tears in my eyes when PSU beat us bad in the Fiesta or when we lost to Notre Dame at home in 90 something. Don’t get me started on some of those OU games. 

No matter the outcome of the game you stood and sang the song and I felt proud even if we were beaten. Because we had that song, and we got to sing it, and the other team did not. 

So I am sorry that I don’t want to see the song removed just like that. I could care less what a building is called on campus. But the eyes, damn, that would be tough.  

Hopefully there is a dialogue to get the feelings out and we can figure out how to move forward with The Eyes of Texas. 

I swear to fucking God I am going to join protestors in the streets and my cause will be to get people to use this phrase correctly.

COULDN'T. YOU **COULDN'T** CARE LESS. 

it doesn't make any fucking sense the other way. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I'm really trying to understand the meaning behind this incoherent string of words. Can you try again? What two things am I conflating? Racial oppression with the demands of the racially oppressed?  Is your point that I am giving too much leeway to the demands of the oppressed and should instead equally weight the value a majority group ascribes to the tradition of a school song?

As I said, I don't really see significant racism in the song, but perhaps me and others in my demographic group are not in the best position to decide the matter. Some of my best memories at UT are signing that song after beating OU or at baseball super regionals with no band. But if it is offensive to the majority of the very athletes I'm supporting, why would I dismiss their opinion?  

A bunch of slave owners drafted the Constitution. Let’s burn the entire house down.

3 hours ago, stone oak said:

I'll get negged for this, but next up are they going to demand to ban white people from attending the games? What about the white players? White coaches?

Where does it stop? Everything can be racist if you try hard enough.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

If we all sang the song for the last 20-30 years that makes us racist? Or are we racist if we sing the song from this day going forward? I’m just trying to figure it all out. 

What does continuing to do something that's been pointed out as racist make you,,?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Pretty much this. Yea I’d be sad because I do enjoy it but if it’s taking anything away from the experience or making anyone unnecessarily uncomfortable (even if I don’t particularly agree or understand), then so be it.

• Like 5

I'm not necessarily in favor of disassociating with the song but this argument sucks. Are you really that self-centered that you can't imagine how a student of color would take even slight issue with the university glorifying a song that originated at minstrel shows?

So the words aren’t racist but the melody is?

Just now, TornACL said:

For someone who loves tradition, I just thought you might be willing to embrace the tradition of correct usage of our fucking language. 

Damn. You got me. All of my feelings about “tradition” (dirty word by the way) are invalid because I left out a contraction. 

Oh my God... We can't let this opportunity go to waste.

Let's be frank here. Other than being the school song and the emotions associated with it, "The Eyes of Texas" is a pre-kindergarten tune set to the insipid half-assed ramblings of a drunken frat boy for lyrics. I've thought it was a stupid song since '89 when I first sung it in earnest and it is still an idiotic song.

Look, we're not Aggy. We don't continue to do stupid things because of "tradition." We accept traditions because they are cool. Burnt orange is cool. The Bevo logo is cool. "The Eyes of Texas"... is inane.

I don't care if the song is racist or not. Those of you arguing whether it is or isn't are missing the motherfucking point. We now have hand-delivered to us on a golden platter an opportunity to finally get ourselves a good school song.

Call Willie. Give him a big fat commission to write us a new song. Problem fucking solved. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I'm sure it is just oddly coincidental that there is so much overlap in the Venn diagram between the "We can't have any politics in the Daily Texan now let's talk about these totally not political topics like New York City taxation" people and the "These black athletes need to just shut the fuck up" people. 

Edited by Continental Op
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

Damn. You got me. All of my feelings about “tradition” (dirty word by the way) are invalid because I left out a contraction. 

Mr. Sensitive!  Nobody said your feelings are invalid. 

Wikipedia (I know, I never let my kids cite Wikipedia) has a pretty interesting history of Minstrel shows in America. The first uniquely American art form. Lots of current entertainment and culture have some roots in that form.  Not saying it’s right, but it is not just UT history but American history.  Part of the reason that racism is so deeply ingrained in Americans I expect. 

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

A bunch of slave owners drafted the Constitution. Let’s burn the entire house down.

You do realize we’ve had to significantly amend that document to address this very issue, right? 

I know you are full on embracing the whole Massapequa middle aged white guy vibe, but at least try. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I'm sure it is just oddly coincidental that there is so much overlap in the Venn diagram between the "We can't have any politics in the Daily Texan now let's talk about these totally not political topics like New York City taxation" people and the "These black athletes need to just shut the fuck up" people. 

Yes. These pages are riddled with your, I mean, THEIR hateful rhetoric. These opinions clearly aren’t valid. 

But I do understand your struggle. I really do. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

And 99% of them didn’t know any history of some damn melody a century ago until today. It’s such a reach to make a melody racist. It’s getting absurd
  • Like 9