Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Look at all these supposedly grown men crying on the internet over a fucking song. If our black athletes don't like the song then get rid of it, who gives a fuck it's a song, holy shit.

What a bunchy of whiny ass babies. "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DON'T TAKE MY SONG, WAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

JFC

Guess I don't understand why that doesn't go both ways.

• Like 9

Were there athletes that have been singing The Eyes of Texas saying to themselves “I hate having to sing this racist song”?  What if the replacement song offends someone else.  Not quite sure how changing the song makes everyone less racist when many, many, many aren’t racist to begin with.  If the athletes truly feel disgusted by the song then that is one thing but sometimes everything looks like a nail when you’re holding a hammer.  

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

What's next the Star Spangled Banner?  The country was founded on slavery and that song didnt include slaves as being free.  So what, let's shut down the whole country and most of its traditions?  Some things go too far and are fucking stupid.  I'm all for speaking against social injustices and support those causes, today.  But The Eyes of Texas and not singing the song imo isn't one of them and is fucking stupid.  I suppose if you don't want to sing it than fine don't make them, but fuck you if you want to replace it.   Sorry but i've never paid much attention to the opinion of most  18-25 year olds.  This request is one reason why.  

No you don't. You think it's fucking stupid to consider not singing a song in support or solidarity. You straight up say you don't pay attention to the opinion of most 18-25 year olds. 

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

You're such an obtuse moron. Same as it ever was.

You are a grown man crying on an internet message board about a song and posting hypotheticals about white people being banned from football games, get a fucking grip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

Why do you hate your own kind so much?

I really don't know how you became a lawyer. It's breathtaking. 

By the way, that's pretty racist to assume I'm white and that stone oak is also white. Ban Icono!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, I can’t say I’m shocked that a football board thread is dripping in AIDS. My two thoughts:

1) anyone who thinks having the option to not sing it after a game will turn into anything other than a bunch of fans singing something now tabbed as racist to a bunch of black people walking off a field, BY THEIR OWN “FANS,” is whistling past a fucking graveyard or ten. 

2) Luka Skywalker is a piece of shit poster and a human being. Which I’ve already known, but in these times of uncertainty anything that is even remotely consistent is somehow a source of comfort. Even if it’s a person who should be ritualistically beaten viciously on a weekly basis with lead pipes and nail studded bats. Because fuck that guy. 

This is, one way or another, a no win situation. 

1) Actually made a good point. It’s probably going away. The good thing is that this team and program are going to slip farther into decay so there won’t be much to sing about any way.

2) You’re just a fake, disingenuous person hiding behind a cloak of wokeness. The fact that I could care less about the opinions of complete strangers does not make me a bad person. I choose to focus only on the things that I can control.

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Because it’s just a song. Until it’s an important symbol that stirs emotions. But not positive emotions-only negative ones. If you feel strongly attached to it because it’s significant to you, you need to realize it’s just a song. 

Hope that clears things up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Were there athletes that have been singing The Eyes of Texas saying to themselves “I hate having to sing this racist song”?  What if the replacement song offends someone else.  Not quite sure how changing the song makes everyone less racist when many, many, many aren’t racist to begin with.  If the athletes truly feel disgusted by the song then that is one thing but sometimes everything looks like a nail when you’re holding a hammer.  

I'd imagine they didn't know about it until recently or they did and there was never a moment to speak up about it till now. 

12 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Sorry but i've never paid much attention to the opinion of most  18-25 year olds.  This request is one reason why.  

Yeah, but I've found that the opinions of people of all ages are pretty much useless. So it all kind of cancels out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luka Skywalker said:

1) Actually made a good point. It’s probably going away. The good thing is that this team and program are going to slip farther into decay so there won’t be much to sing about any way.

2) You’re just a fake, disingenuous person hiding behind a cloak of wokeness. The fact that I could care less about the opinions of complete strangers does not make me a bad person. I choose to focus only on the things that I can control.

Well, Sydney doesn't care what you think about him as a person or his beliefs. He's just here to entertain you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Oh let's see, there's one group who doesn't want to continue to be forced to participate in a song that makes them feel uncomfortable because of it's racist origins, and then there's another group of grown men crying on an internet message board about having a song taken away from them.

6 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You are a grown man crying on an internet message board about a song and posting hypotheticals about white people being banned from football games, get a fucking grip.

"It's just a song"

I mean, it's only one of our main traditions at the University of Texas, but why stop there? Maybe we should change our school colors and the Longhorn mascot too. Get rid of the "Hook 'Em" sign. Replace "Texas Fight", after all it's just a song too. Take down the 1963, 1969, and 1970 National Titles for obvious reasons. 2005 might be ok, but not sure. All SWC titles before 1970 need to come down as well. Any building on campus built before the 1970s needs to be destroyed and replaced. Cancel all culture that might hurt anyone's feelings. 

Oh yes, the LBJ library needs to be destroyed as well. That might be #1 on the list.

Edited by stone oak
  • Like 5

On the one hand, the song doesn't seem that offensive to me even given its origins. On the other hand, my relatives and I haven't been systematically killed and oppressed by our government for centuries because of the color of our skin. I really can't say what would upset me if that were the case. I'm all for the administration hearing the athletes out across the board. Ultimately, it's just a song.     

• Like 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

Because it’s just a song. Until it’s an important symbol that stirs emotions. But not positive emotions-only negative ones. If you feel strongly attached to it because it’s significant to you, you need to realize it’s just a song. 

Hope that clears things up.

Oh great, here we have a classic battle of hypocrisy.

"So if it's just a song then why doesn't that apply the other direction?!?!?!?!?"

Do people not see the obvious converse of that argument? If it's an important symbol then why doesn't that apply the other direction? But even setting aside the extreme logical shortcomings in that argument, just because something is "just a song" doesn't mean that it isn't hurtful. All of the specific minstrel songs are just songs, but they shouldn't be sung. This is not a difficult concept for those who actually choose to think.

4 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

I hate to interrupt, but...

Couldn't. 

You couldn't care less. 

• Like 2

I mean I watch football for entertainment. I don’t give a shit about their voices or value as people. I don’t know any of these people personally So why would I care? I care about the people I know and care about. If you say otherwise then you’re just a self-righteous person who in my estimation is full of shit.

No words.

3 minutes ago, stone oak said:

"It's just a song"

I mean, it's only one of our main traditions at the University of Texas, but why stop there? Maybe we should change our school colors and the Longhorn mascot too. Get rid of the "Hook 'Em" sign. Replace "Texas Fight", after all it's just a song too. Take down the 1963, 1969, and 1970 National Titles for obvious reasons. 2005 might be ok, but not sure. All SWC titles before 1970 need to come down as well. Any building on campus built before the 1970s needs to be destroyed and replaced. Cancel all culture that might hurt anyone's feelings. 

See you throw all that out and none of those things are being talked about by the athletes. But we couldn't or shouldn't do anything because something else might happen seems like a great plan. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh great, here we have a classic battle of hypocrisy.

"So if it's just a song then why doesn't that apply the other direction?!?!?!?!?"

Do people not see the obvious converse of that argument? If it's an important symbol then why doesn't that apply the other direction? But even setting aside the extreme logical shortcomings in that argument, just because something is "just a song" doesn't mean that it isn't hurtful. All of the specific minstrel songs are just songs, but they shouldn't be sung. This is not a difficult concept for those who actually choose to think.

I actually do see the logical shortcomings. In fact, that was kind of the point. This is a complex issue. I wish we would actually choose to think about it.

10 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

The truth is that majority of the fans would most likely agree with your take. Unfortunately for you, you have gotten a rise out of the cabal thought police for voicing what most of the donors are actually thinking. What I care about is our program first and foremost and having a war between the fans, players and administration is the last thing we need after a decade of suck. Again, look at what’s happened to Mizzou to peak into our future.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

See you throw all that out and none of those things are being talked about by the athletes. But we couldn't or shouldn't do anything because something else might happen seems like a great plan. 

Exactly. We have an actual list of what the athletes are asking for but instead of you know, engaging with that lets just burn the campus to the ground. What's the point of having anything if I can't have things exactly my way. 

By the way, they aren't even threatening to boycott the season or quit the team or anything. Just to not participate in donor bullshit and recruiting. The entitlement some of our fans have over the team is staggering. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Is there any problem with "Texas Fight"? Obviously sans the version where the eyes is sung during it.

More to the point. What even is the song? Sure it's been sung for decades...but what is it really? It's time for a new tradition. It's time for something that everyone will be behind and unified in. Quite frankly, it only makes the university stronger together so why would someone not support this? Also, in regards to donations to BLM, I would also like to ask that the donations be extended to all people of color, unless that is the point and I just didn't see it. It was exclusiveness that has gotten us here, and that is a tradition that most certainly needs to stop. 

So we may have an issue with “Texas Fight” as well. James King who co-wrote the song, took bands to play at many confederate reunions when he was alive. Guilty by association? 

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The truth is that majority of the fans would most likely agree with your take. Unfortunately for you, you have gotten a rise out of the cabal thought police for voicing what most of the donors are actually thinking. What I care about is our program first and foremost and having a war between the fans, players and administration is the last thing we need after a decade of suck. Again, look at what’s happened to Mizzou to peak into our future.

Who's the one declaring war in your analogy?

Quit trying to compare us to fucking Missouri. Missouri was shit. Missouri still is shit. 

20 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

I went out of my way not to express my personal thoughts on the song staying or going in that post. So I’m really curious how you’ve divined whether or not I’m “woke.” The first part of my post was nothing more than an observation. 

the second part of my post, in which i say you’re a piece of shit, is based on this and a fairly decent history of observing your posts on many threads, not just this one. I fail to see how you’ve made a connection to that being fake, or disingenuous. I assure you, my opinions of you and your posts here and elsewhere are quite real and genuine. Your efforts today were just a reminder that your takes are shit. 

You nailed the part about not caring what people on a message board think about you, though. That’s a healthy attitude, especially for people aligning themselves with Iconoclast Texan.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, stone oak said:

We should definitely change the name of the stadium because Darrell K Royal coached the last all-white national champion team. 

Remove the WWI dedication as well for pretty obvious reasons. 

Keep coming up with new items for your list. I wasn't convinced at first, but I am getting there!!

• Like 1

IF this liberal arts professor actually got the history right. The eyes are pretty loosely affiliated with any slavery. 

BUT if it truly did start out as a racist song but then became adopted as a song that millions of people of all races, genders, classes and religions sing in honor of a team we all love for the past 100 years without a shred of malice be the most badass American thing ever?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Yes.