AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

Yeah my kid was on the MTB team & did really well, but would rather play baseball & volleyball. Nice enough campus, but all under construction right now, and parking is always a nightmare there. So they built a 3 or 4 story parking garage for the kids to park in. What could possible go wrong?
My boys said they were having to walk around looking for a place to eat, and there were kids sitting on the ground eating all over the place in the courtyard. WTF?
Same up North. When it rains during lunch it's going to be insane.

And I meant Bowie looks great long term, just a mess now.

Aisd did great with Doss,

Murchison looks undersized and not enough for a completed update
Anderson sounds like they need work...

14 hours ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

I used to live in that part of the district (we are now in cedar creek/hill country).  Put this shit on blast if you do find out who it is.  These people should be doxxed , shamed and harassed.  His employer should know about it as should all neighbors.  Fuck these assholes.  

Agree.  I'd like to avoid the asshole myself.

6 hours ago, Born to Run said:
8 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:
My 9th grader came home today and said "High School is so much better than middle school, anyone who complains that HS are the worst years of their lives are weak."
Austin High doesn't cram people into cafeteria. They have anywhere on campus to eat (except third floor) so there is a shit ton of room to spread out and eat lunch.

Well I guess I should have moved my ex to Tarrytown

It’s definitely a small sample size of one day but I was just glad he liked the first day. 
We will see what day two holds. 

First day of school for a few other Austin school districts.  Good luck today folks.  If we make it through this semester unscathed, we are having a surly happy hour with a round on me.   

Serenity now.  Serenity now.  Serenity now.  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

First day of school for a few other Austin school districts.  Good luck today folks.  If we make it through this semester unscathed, we are having a surly happy hour with a round on me.   

Serenity now.  Serenity now.  Serenity now.  

Serenity now. Covid later. 
seinfeld giving GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

More kids died in 2019 of strep throat than died in 2020 of Covid.  

More kids died walking to school, riding a bus or riding in a car to and from school in 2019 than died in 2020 of Covid.  

There's a greater than 0% chance one of my littles will get covid and die or get seriously hospitalized. There is a greater chance my wife kills herself and all of my kids at once by getting run over by the train or turning in front of a semi truck while transporting them to or from school. It's one of my nightmares and it wakes me up probably once a month in a panic and cold sweat. Nobody likes to think about the idea of their kids being at risk in any way.  Yet to breathe is to be at risk of something bad happening to you at any time.  Thankfully, this thing has mostly spared children.  

Until it doesn't. 

9 hours ago, wood said:

My boys said they were having to walk around looking for a place to eat, and there were kids sitting on the ground eating all over the place in the courtyard. WTF?

My kid is at McCallum and it's the same story there. One lunch for 1,800 kids.  One parent on Facebook has been raising money to buy the metal & composite picnic tables from Lowe's. She's bought a dozen so far and her goal is 18 this week.  

There's also one microwave for kids.  However, most teachers have a microwave in their classroom and many will let kids use their personal one if the kid is eating in their classroom.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid is at McCallum and it's the same story there. One lunch for 1,800 kids.  One parent on Facebook has been raising money to buy the metal & composite picnic tables from Lowe's. She's bought a dozen so far and her goal is 18 this week.  

There's also one microwave for kids.  However, most teachers have a microwave in their classroom and many will let kids use their personal one if the kid is eating in their classroom.

My daughter goes to McCallum and I've been following the Facebook fundraiser as well.  I think they're also trying to get some covers for the tables.  The first rain during lunch is going to be a shitshow.

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Not sure where this news is coming from that all the teachers are required to wear masks in Eanes. One of our neighbors has a disabled child who is severely immune compromised. Even pre-COVID, it wasn’t uncommon for her to end up in the hospital if she caught something. But they found out yesterday that a couple of her special ed teachers at Barton Creek refuse to wear a mask. Each of them would only be around her for about 20 minutes/day, but they all said it was their choice and they absolutely wouldn’t wear one. It was quickly escalated to the principal and then the school board. Nobody is doing anything. Now, they’ve hired an attorney, but they can’t start school until it’s resolved. They’ve contacted every private school within an hour’s drive, and there aren’t any available that can deal with her disabilities. It’s heartbreaking. The mom can hardly stop crying, the girl can’t stop crying, my wife and daughters are crying about it. I’m infuriated. Those teachers are despicable human beings and have no place in a teaching environment.

ETA - when I say it’s common that she was hospitalized, I’m not exaggerating. The parents are basically numb to it. Their concern isn’t that she MIGHT have to be hospitalized, but rather they know she will and there may not be an ICU bed for her when it happens.

Welcome to Eanes. It's always been well known how shitty they treat special needs kids.  

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

For Surly input, I present the Covid protocols for my kid's school.  I have two school aged kids 13 and 15, both vaccinated.  School is a small private school with at most 60 students in ATX.  It is middle and high school aged kids only.

My first impressions are does not go far enough, seems like it was made to please everybody, and difficult to enforce without flare.

Wanted to get some group think on this for my response but mostly to have some ideas that are not my own when my wife quizzes me.

I’ve listed below the measures with which we will begin the year:

• We are always keeping an eye on the wellness of our students, and always do a general wellness check as part of our morning arrival welcome and greeting. As always, if your student is showing signs of illness, they will be required to stay home.
  • For students age 12+ who are unvaccinated, masks will be required.
  • For students age 12+ who are vaccinated, masks will be optional. If your family is making the personal choice to mask even if vaccinated, we fully support you and will help to make sure your student is masking at school. We know that some of you have people at home who cannot vaccinate, and will support your student to mask for an extra layer of safety.
  • For students who are under the age eligible for vaccination (under the age of 12) masks will be optional. Again, we will fully support your choice to mask at school.
  • In the event of a Covid exposure on campus, we will consult with health experts and may need to close the school.

For students age 12+, if you choose not to wear a mask, you will need to show proof of vaccination. If you’re child is vaccinated, please send a photograph or photocopy of your child’s vaccination record for us to keep on file. Please send this as soon as possible, or bring your student’s vaccination card on Day 1 so that we can make a photocopy. If we do not have proof of vaccination we will ask your student to wear a mask on campus.

OK.  The rest of the story from fallout yesterday afternoon.

The wife wrote a strongly worded letter advocating for full mask use and made better arguments than I did.

However, while she was working up the letter, one of the staff (vaccinated and no symptoms) tested positive for Covid, which caused the delayed start of school to Monday instead of today and a revision of the mask policy which is now everyone on campus.  All exposed faculty and staff are being tested to see the extent of the spread, positive case is being quarantined and held out for prescribed amount of time, weekend test results will determine path going forward on Monday.

So we were strangely fortunate to have a scare this early that hopefully will be dealt with so we can have in person class going forward.

However, this is a small "progressive" school in central Austin with a staff that is 100% vaccinated and I daresay a student body that is close to that where eligible.  I would be hard pressed to find a more ideal setting to deal with Covid effectively unless it were some kind of isolated community of Mennonites or something, and we still have issues.  As others have said, regardless of mask and vaccination policy, any school of any size is going to be dealing with an absolute shit show for at least the next month.

Good luck out there.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Looks like lunch is going to be an Achilles heel. Not sure what the logic is here. Hey, lets gather all students together at the one time of day where they absolutely have to take down their masks to eat and drink.  But lunch was always going to be a problem anyway.

My experience with special needs teachers is that they have a high burn out rate.  That is a hard fucking job.  It ain’t for everybody.  I’m not going to get specific about all the shit those teachers endure, but it’s a lot of shit.  That being said, if you’re around those type of kids every day, it’s criminal not to be vaccinated and wear a mask.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

My 3 year old says she wants to be “a circle” when she grows up and says her favorite color is “poo poo”.  We asked her to wear her mask all day at daycare starting this week.  Zero complaints, zero issues.  People who complain about wearing a mask are fucking weak.

So....weird way to tell us that she's smarter than any anti-masker or anti-vaxxer, but point made.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

My 3 year old says she wants to be “a circle” when she grows up and says her favorite color is “poo poo”.  We asked her to wear her mask all day at daycare starting this week.  Zero complaints, zero issues.  People who complain about wearing a mask are fucking weak.

the masks are weak?  you're weak...hit the bricks pal!!! /gggr

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

What's weird is that at Bowie it's not just one lunch period. Apparently only lunch A is having the crowding issue. Isn't the whole point of having multiple lunches that you can distribute the kids evenly across the periods to prevent overcrowding?

Lol at Austin High Students spending any worry time about covid. More like will these parents gtfo so we can pass the joints, pipes and vape pens down by the river 

Our water fountains remain shut down and bottled water is provided. Imagine the amount of plastic a school of 700 creates during these covid times.

Eanes sent this “clarification” to all staff yesterday. The upshot is that they can’t/won’t enforce mask wearing.

Those are some shitty selfish teachers to refuse masks around medically fragile students. Truly, no words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_4843.jpg

What's weird is that at Bowie it's not just one lunch period. Apparently only lunch A is having the crowding issue. Isn't the whole point of having multiple lunches that you can distribute the kids evenly across the periods to prevent overcrowding?
Well my Kid didn't get his schedule until the bus ride to school, so I don't think they fully have their shit together.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This might not be the right thread for this but I would be very interested to see data on how much impact wearing masks has on disease severity (especially in children).  We know masks have a benefit of reducing infection rate (I.e. slowing the spread), but I think they also have a benefit of reducing viral load when infected, which would also reduce severity.  It would not surprise me if a 100% mask compliance were as effective at preventing severe illness as vaccination.

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Cross posting since this thread is about schools.  So far in LISD we have 114 positive cases (+16 today) and are near a new weekly record with 2 more days to go in the week.  Previous record was 130 in a week

image.png.967f330a52e5dcaaae15b53289ea97c9.png

I foresee a Surly school district Covid bracket challenge.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cap33 said:

Eanes sent this “clarification” to all staff yesterday. The upshot is that they can’t/won’t enforce mask wearing.

They'll change their tune if they have to start sending lots of kids home/closing down campuses, and losing money because TEA doesn't support the virtual stuff (assuming they don't have federal assistance lined up).

Or if they start having to forfeit sporting events.

Yes, this stuff is about keeping our kids in school and trying to reduce the load on the hospitals, but sports...has a lot of sway.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They'll change their tune if they have to start sending lots of kids home/closing down campuses, and losing money because TEA doesn't support the virtual stuff (assuming they don't have federal assistance lined up).

Yes, this stuff is about keeping our kids in school and trying to reduce the load on the hospitals, but sports...has a lot of sway.

Sports is all that matters in Eanes.  Put one football game in danger and you'll see a quick about face

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Probably not this.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

But definitely this. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sports is all that matters in Eanes.  Put one football game in danger and you'll see a quick about face

Do you even $7mm robotics center, bro?  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Put a football game in danger, and all the anti-maskers will become born-again maskers.

The marketing possibilities could be endless if there were a helmet face mask mask that went over the face mask instead of the mouth and nose.  It could be the next big thing.

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Do you even $7mm robotics center, bro?  

Window dressing.  Seriously though, I am seriously disappoint in the dipshittery of the WHS population, including a lot of teachers who don’t give a shit .  My kids are both vaccinated but based on informal poking around by my wife, who specializes in knowing everything, only about a quarter of the students are vaxed.  At least teacher adoption is up around 90 percent but it’s going to suck because half the kids were unmasked today already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Put a football game in danger, and all the anti-maskers will become born-again maskers.

If I was writing the policy for the districts I would’ve expressly stated that sports are at risk without a mask mandate. Unfortunately they think all parents give a shit about school or their kids and that would be enough to get buy in.

First day of school went off ok.  Getting my blood pressure up about some reported instances of bullying related to mask wearing, not reports I am hearing from my kids but from other kids in the family at other schools at higher grade levels.  Had a talk with the kids about how to step up and defend others whether it relates to covid or any other situation, and that they would be held to account if they ever let that shit slide. God fucking help me if I have to smack a motherfucker. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 4

Kiddos enjoyed first day in-person in 17 months. Vast majority, 90 to 95% in masks. Sixth and fourth grade. Middle school allowed eating outside. I purchased 2 air purifiers for 4th grade homeroom. And yet I expect a "pause" and school shutdown within the first month. Not too worried about their health if they get it - if I was they would be doing virtual. Daughter can be fully vaxed soon, and hopefully the FDA will allow age 5 to 11 shots soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18