Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

I know there's probably not much that could have been done about it, but it's almost cringeworthy when they have to show action on the pitch. It may be just a step above the action on the basketball court in Teen Wolf. 

• Haha 1

There is still 3 more episodes.  I expect it to happen

Straw that breaks the camels back.

Also I don’t think Roy is fixed. It seems like he has understood the “right” philosophy in his head for a while now (go back to his wistful conversation on returning to Chelsea and how he was likely really talking about Keeley) For whatever reason he can’t translate it into the right action. Tons of people have this issue. They know what they need to do…they just can’t do it.

There was a really great episode of Fresh Air on NPR that featured Brett Goldstein (Roy). They were mainly talking to him about Shrinking, as that had just launched. One thing he talked about was finding humor out of trauma or tragedy like losing a loved one. He references that he's always found there were moments where you still laughed after something bad happened. It's a great listen.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/27/1166260078/ted-lasso-actor-brett-goldstein

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Season one was lightning in a bottle. Perfect show at the perfect time. Are the following seasons horrible? No, but they were never going to recreate the magic of season one. Season one was timed perfectly. 

This…Tiger King anyone?

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One good lecture from Rebecca was all it took. 

Also, “all of you know that my ass isn’t hairy, and none of you spoke up.”

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

And I will *never* forgive you 

And Isaac said “he’s right. We’re cowards.”  Very light scene, and then he goes ape shit on the faggots-yelling fan. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I know there's probably not much that could have been done about it, but it's almost cringeworthy when they have to show action on the pitch. It may be just a step above the action on the basketball court in Teen Wolf. 

There’s three rules that I live by. Never get less than 12 hours sleep. Never play cards with a guy that’s got the same first name as a city. And never go near a lady that’s got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick with that, everything else is cream cheese. Great game there Scotty. 

Pretty solid episode. Rupert plays the evil creep so well. Super charming and smart and his non-verbal dismissal of Nate was great.

I am enjoying Nate's turn and will be primed for when he is fully redeemed in the penultimate episode.

Also, surprised none of you nerds have commented on the Joe Walsh / Jimmy Page argument; that was written for the surly demographic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

And Isaac said “he’s right. We’re cowards.”  Very light scene, and then he goes ape shit on the faggots-yelling fan. 

This hits close to home, growing up I was told all soccer players were faggots.

Don't sleep on the "we don't not care" speech from Ted. It made me rethink a few comments that I've made, or how I've expressed myself.  Also A+ comment from Trent counseling Colin to give Isaac a minute to digest what he learned about Colin.

The Nate turnaround has almost finalized. I liked how he corrected Rupert when Rupert called Jade by the wrong name. In Season 1, Nate was ok when someone didn't recall his name.

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

The guy from cream a beast. 

[Derka-esque]Beard pretend fainting and the contrived guitarist argument weren’t funny. And I love Joe Walsh but WTF on Jimmy Page?  Ridiculous writing.[/Rant]

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

the-big-lebowski-hate-the-fucking-eagles

Appropriate gif. And I’m an Eagles and Walsh fan. But LZ / Page?  Come on Beard. Terrible writing. 

Scene saved by Higgins in three different spots. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

[Derka-esque]Beard pretend fainting and the contrived guitarist argument weren’t funny. And I love Joe Walsh but WTF on Jimmy Page?  Ridiculous writing.[/Rant]

Yeah. That was ridiculous. 

On 5/7/2023 at 4:21 PM, Michael Knight said:

You know shes in the show right?

ummm, yes?  i'm aware she plays rupert's lady but i am not sure what that has to do with what i posted.

my point was it seemed like everyone was down on the episode and i had just heard she was a writer.  she's not generally considered to be a writer.  she's generally considered to be a model.

that said, i have now seen the episode and that was a very personal story that she clearly drove the bus on.  show keeley being someone who has nude photos as part of her career but then has a personal video of a sexual nature released is absolutely parallel real keeley. she had a sex tape released and everything about that storyline was clearly her story.  and it isn't the worst platform for that storyline.  however, it's not hard to see why people did not enjoy a lot of it.  the "dialogue" in the locker room early in the episode as a way to make a speech and isaac demanding everyone go through their phones was just awful, awful, awful writing.  it was cringey bad.  but i really hope it was cathartic for real keeley.  not from a stanning perspective but i just imagine it sucks so bad.

some of the other writing in the episode was pretty poor as well but whatever.  even though you could see the hey jude scene coming from the moon through a magnifying glass, i still enjoyed that part.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Beard should do all press conferences just for the chaos.

I like that we get/got only small glimpses at Beard's character.  He's an enigma, supremely confident/competent in so many facets, but incapable of conducting a press conference?  Surprising and funny.  Perhaps this is why he is a man of so few words and let's Ted do all the interpersonal stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

what was with rebecca's speech to roy all about? the guy has changed pretty dramatically for the better and hasn't been nearly as negative as he used to be. it's been a pretty major plot point. she asks him to the press conference, he doesn't do it, and suddenly she's delivering some speech to him that you could tell was supposed to be some great, momentous event, when in reality it just comes out of nowhere and doesn't make any sense. that felt like they accidentally dropped in a scene from S1 into the middle of an episode from S3.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Drool 1

Welp, they covered just about every hot button social issue. I guess all that's left is a mass shooting at Henry's school and Rebecca finally comes out as trans. 

This show feels like a montage of "a very special" episodes of every sitcom ever. Wait... did they find speed in anyone/s locker yet?  FFS

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, locodos said:

I like that we get/got only small glimpses at Beard's character.  He's an enigma, supremely confident/competent in so many facets, but incapable of conducting a press conference?  Surprising and funny.  Perhaps this is why he is a man of so few words and let's Ted do all the interpersonal stuff.

I wouldn't say he was incompetent but he wasn't skilled at it.   The boss lady took over that same conference and fumble-fucked her way through it as well.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

what was with rebecca's speech to roy all about?

It's a boss telling a subordinate that what she asked of him wasn't a request and so she pushed his buttons to make sure he doesn't pull that stunt again. 

If we were to view it as foreshadowing then it could be that Ted has already indicated his intentions to leave to Rebecca (or she senses it) and needs to find out if Roy is capable of doing "head coach stuff" if she needs a quick replacement.

Him blowing it off and passing it to Beard means she couldn't do that assessment which is possibly why Roy did the press conference after the next game. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I wouldn't say he was incompetent but he wasn't skilled at it.   The boss lady took over that same conference and fumble-fucked her way through it as well.

Spoiler

1) Fair point

2) From watching it I think the boss lady finished up with smiles, waves, and some sense of normality

3) "That guy from Cream?"  I used to throw out a right field question in the middle of interviews just to see how the person reacted, she was a little rattled, but that's a defensible answer.

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Him blowing it off and passing it to Beard means she couldn't do that assessment which is possibly why Roy did the press conference after the next game. 

I got the feeling that he did the one after the last game because of the dressing down he got the week prior, not because she asked again.  Fortunate that he had a relevant anecdote to share as to the unusual situation presented.  But yeah, him being the one to speak with Isaac and then do the pc seems to be foreshadowing him taking over as gaffer. Which also means it wouldn’t be Nate returning. 

of course if Nate has west ham competing for the league title (they are currently 15th of 20 IRL) he would be a hot commodity on the market for a more prominent English, or European side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

1) Fair point
2) From watching it I think the boss lady finished up with smiles, waves, and some sense of normality
3) "That guy from Cream?"  I used to throw out a right field question in the middle of interviews just to see how the person reacted, she was a little rattled, but that's a defensible answer.

She is definitely more experienced at it and puts on the bright fake smile with much more ease than Beard does. Beard approached it like a conversation where debates and opinions vary. Rebecca approaches it like she is running a business and she tends to give sterile responses, but she was off her game in that moment.

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Which also means it wouldn’t be Nate returning. 

Nate trips and falls again as he crosses the street on his way back to the AFC Richmond facilities, and get run over and killed by a double decker bus. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

I just assumed Rupert believes his team’s manager, and anyone in his orbit, should be fucking/dating a total 10 and not a Greek restaurant hostess from Eastern Europe. 

It is all optics and appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I just assumed Rupert believes his team’s manager, and anyone in his orbit, should be fucking/dating a total 10 and not a Greek restaurant hostess from Eastern Europe. 

That sounds right

Nobody thinks this show is about soccer but at the very least if it's going to be a show about personal and professional growth, the head coach should have learned at least an inkling about the sport in 3 years on the job. Last ep had one good joke - the hairy ass bit. Instead of being motivational, his halftime speech  about his old friend the Denver Broncos friend wrecking a toilet, was just weird and nowhere near funny, not to mention a sad recollection from the Tom Herman days. (or hell, was it Charlie's staff?)

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The women he was with did not appear to be anywhere near 10s. He was there to party with some ho's, and between that and attempting to flirt with the coach's new gf they're just showing him as the amoral fuck his ex-wife already knows him to be. He's sent Nate down the road of not wanting to be there any longer.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He knows Nate really likes Jade and maybe he wanted Nate to cheat so he would have some dirt on him?  In case he ever tried to rat Rupert out for diddling his assistant. Or for any other reason. 

• Like 1

Rupert wants to be the puppeteer for everyone in his orbit. By getting Nate to cheat on his girlfriend he removes a potential sphere of influence and someone who would potentially advise Nate against his shady bullshit. Plus, as I said above, he's Jade's dad.. 

Feels like it will be Roy and Nate to carry things forward. Who is the head man and who is the assistant still up in the air.

With Total Football working so well Nate’s tactical acumen isn’t as needed/valuable but those two had a pretty meaningful relationship that can come back into play leading Richmond. When Nate was getting picked on (by Jamie, Isaac and Collin) Roy is the one who brought it up to Ted. Ted subtly gave Roy the task of dealing with it. “He’s the one coach. If we’re gonna make an impact here the first domino that needs to fall is right there inside that man’s heart”. And Roy dealt with it.

And of course Nate’s locker room speech brought the best of what Roy still had to give out.