Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

On 4/10/2022 at 2:07 PM, po elvis said:

My Mexican gf made enchiladas for my parents a few years ago. She had just made the best enchiladas a couple weeks prior. So I bite into them and am thinking wtf is this? I say there is something weird about them. She said she thought she was using cumin but it was the cinnamon shaker. She was hoping we didn’t notice.

CSB Alert:  Reminds me of a similar story with my mother-in-law.  One time we caught a bunch of catfish at my in-laws.  My MIL (GREAT cook) decided to fry them up for us.  She was out of cornmeal so decided to improvise with some boxed cornbread mix.  Big mistake.  It was absolutely disgusting.  Sweet cornbread and catfish are not flavors and textures that mix well.  At all.     \CSB

I did it the other way around from po elvis's gf.  Early 90s October, enter me, a dumb elementary kid.  Instead of sprinkling cinnamon on the inside of the lid of our jack-o-lantern to make it smell all nice in our house, I misread the label and put cumin on the pumpkin.  My dad said our house smelled like a cantina for weeks. 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Indeed it is. Coleslaw and fries FTW

I have no problems with oddball accoutrements to my cheese enchiladas on occasion. Old timey joints like pioneer often operated as diners with Tex Mex on one side and steaks, burgers, cfs and fried chicken on the other.

When I lived in Jackson MS the Elite Cafe had unusually perfect cheese ench with on point chili gravy and correctly softened in oil tortillas. Served as standalone entree with a basket of rolls and corn bread with a bowl of butter pats. No beans or rice, but the usual southern sides. Once I accepted it I would usually get fried okra and blackeye peas. The enchiladas kept me grounded and soothed homesickness.

(The Mississippi Delta has fantastic tamales brought by Texican railway workers long ago. No masa but made with h corn meal. You’ll find them in country grocery stores, bars, and fine steakhouses.)

In Ft Worth old timey TexMex joint Jesus BBQ on south Main has fine homestyle TexMex and solid enchiladas. Some of the best fried chicken in town. We’ll get a chicken dinner for the table to eat with the TexMex. Beans and rice with the TexMex, fries, fries and salad with the chicken. Eat there while you can; the old man passed away and the daughter is running it. The real estate is worth a fortune and at some point they’ll rightfully cash out and get the dream their patron worked decades for.

Embrace the freedom with your enchiladas. No dogma. Fine ench can handle damn near anything on the side.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Eat there while you can; the old man passed away and the daughter is running it. The real estate is worth a fortune and at some point they’ll rightfully cash out and get the dream their patron worked decades for.

I will mourn the loss of this outstanding hole in the wall that has been serving heaven for decades.  Colonel Sanders has nothing on the fried chicken put out by this establishment and I hope to be present and eating when the last day of service occurs. 

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Went to Santa Caterina in Cedar Park for Mrs. Brat’s Friday fish fare….
She had the huge shrimp & avocado cocktail and I the shredded beef enchiladas (hold the beans).

C34AE7AD-F36E-4DED-896A-D32B359F0D8C.jpeg

That is a solid place.  We've been half a dozen times over the years.  Good mix of Tex-Mex, Interior Mex, and seafood options.  Also a popular place for kids/group meals for little league/soccer teams and such.  Outdoor play area occupies the short people pretty well.

P.S. -- The Mexican Martinis (limit 2!) served in the shaker are top notch.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That is a solid place.  We've been half a dozen times over the years.  Good mix of Tex-Mex, Interior Mex, and seafood options.  Also a popular place for kids/group meals for little league/soccer teams and such.  Outdoor play area occupies the short people pretty well.

P.S. -- The Mexican Martinis (limit 2!) served in the shaker are top notch.

I had the bartender make mine with Tito’s instead of tequila - can’t drink that any more. 
Still very good. Mrs. Brat liked hers - it is her go-to drink when we go out for TexMex.

I will mourn the loss of this outstanding hole in the wall that has been serving heaven for decades.  Colonel Sanders has nothing on the fried chicken put out by this establishment and I hope to be present and eating when the last day of service occurs. 

Last I heard the daughter was carrying on, but the real estate could deliver a huge payday as SoMa marches south. I think they are Jesus grill or cafe now as the bbq ended a few years back before the old man took I’ll.

This place is a gem so if you’re living in the area or coming for a game or event check it out. I lived in Ft Worth for years before I found it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I have no problems with oddball accoutrements to my cheese enchiladas on occasion. Old timey joints like pioneer often operated as diners with Tex Mex on one side and steaks, burgers, cfs and fried chicken on the other.

When I lived in Jackson MS the Elite Cafe had unusually perfect cheese ench with on point chili gravy and correctly softened in oil tortillas. Served as standalone entree with a basket of rolls and corn bread with a bowl of butter pats. No beans or rice, but the usual southern sides. Once I accepted it I would usually get fried okra and blackeye peas. The enchiladas kept me grounded and soothed homesickness.

(The Mississippi Delta has fantastic tamales brought by Texican railway workers long ago. No masa but made with h corn meal. You’ll find them in country grocery stores, bars, and fine steakhouses.)

In Ft Worth old timey TexMex joint Jesus BBQ on south Main has fine homestyle TexMex and solid enchiladas. Some of the best fried chicken in town. We’ll get a chicken dinner for the table to eat with the TexMex. Beans and rice with the TexMex, fries, fries and salad with the chicken. Eat there while you can; the old man passed away and the daughter is running it. The real estate is worth a fortune and at some point they’ll rightfully cash out and get the dream their patron worked decades for.

Embrace the freedom with your enchiladas. No dogma. Fine ench can handle damn near anything on the side.

One of my favorite memories, I must have been like 4 or 5 years old, was meeting my grandparents for dinner at Felix in Houston.  It too  went away due to age and property taxes I guess.  This is what it looked like at the time.

spacer.png

We would also meet them at the chicken house sometimes, Bill Williams, which was awesome.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Santa Catarina is very good.  Like DalTx said, it's a good mix of Tex-Mex and Interior.  Great happy hour deals on food and drinks.

They took down the kiddie playground but it's still popular with families. 

There's another location in Lakeway, I think that one is the original and the one in CP is the second.  Both are good.

22 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

One of my favorite memories, I must have been like 4 or 5 years old, was meeting my grandparents for dinner at Felix in Houston.  It too  went away due to age and property taxes I guess.  This is what it looked like at the time.

spacer.png

We would also meet them at the chicken house sometimes, Bill Williams, which was awesome.

spacer.png

This picture brings back so many happy memories from childhood.  Bill Williams was always a great place where my family would stop when in Houston and the oyster bar has never been equaled imho.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/9/2023 at 6:25 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I grew up in Rosenberg and the best Mex was at Larry’s Mexican Restaurant just east of the Brazos in Richmond.  Larry got his start at El Felix. The food was fabulous.  Damn I miss those days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I grew up in Rosenberg and the best Mex was at Larry’s Mexican Restaurant just east of the Brazos in Richmond.  Larry got his start at El Felix. The food was fabulous.  Damn I miss those days.

One of my first trials was in Rosenberg. Night that we closed, had dinner at Larry’s. Iconic Texas moment. And damned solid classic texmex.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One of my first trials was in Rosenberg. Night that we closed, had dinner at Larry’s. Iconic Texas moment. And damned solid classic texmex.

Richmond folks would correct you.  The courthouse is/was in Richmond unless they built an auxiliary courthouse in Rosenberg after I left in 1980 and I don’t think that happened unless it was a JP court.  The cultural divide between Richmond and Rosenberg mattered.  

• Like 1

Richmond folks would correct you.  The courthouse is/was in Richmond unless they built an auxiliary courthouse in Rosenberg after I left in 1980 and I don’t think that happened unless it was a JP court.  The cultural divide between Richmond and Rosenberg mattered.  

I’m sure you’re right. It was a LONG-ass time ago. Opposing counsel and I fought so bitterly that one night, the judge actually ordered us to go have a bunch of drinks together at a bar on the other side of the tracks. He sent deputies over to make sure we were actually drinking, for real.
Only verdict I’ve lost. But I got it all flipped on appeal.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m sure you’re right. It was a LONG-ass time ago. Opposing counsel and I fought so bitterly that one night, the judge actually ordered us to go have a bunch of drinks together at a bar on the other side of the tracks. He sent deputies over to make sure we were actually drinking, for real.
Only verdict I’ve lost. But I got it all flipped on appeal.

Sounds like a repeat of the Jaybird/Woodpecker war there in Richmond.  There’s one they never taught us in school.  Look it up sometime. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Bringing it back around. Mi Tierra Cafe in San Antonio.  Pretty good effort for cheese enchiladas. 

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

It’s good, usually great, but there are some headaches associated with it. Namely that postage stamp parking lot and 2 hour wait times. I’ve had the best success going after 10pm. 

Bringing it back around. Mi Tierra Cafe in San Antonio.  Pretty good effort for cheese enchiladas. 
IMG_4566.thumb.jpeg.c79a405f1e1e1a40c8a3ec33e6ff9c99.jpeg
IMG_4567.thumb.jpeg.e351502034372e8d2eb1ea06056906c4.jpeg

Having spent much of my life as a misplaced Texan, when you live in food deserts like San Francisco, Portland, and Denver you learn to appreciate those things others take for granted. Like a fucking awesome plate of cheese enchiladas. I would have pushed a bus load of nuns over a bridge at times in my life for a plate like that.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Any great cheese enchilada recommendations around Dallas?

Lived here 12 years and stopped long ago trying to find anything I like as much as Enchiladas Y Mas. 

Avila’s and Pepe & Mito’s are both solid. My favorite enchiladas in Dallas are the chicken mole enchiladas at Taquero on lowest Greenville (their whole menu is great).  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, CycleTex87 said:

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

csb/. My mother somehow got a table and chairs set from Mi Tierra back in the 80s when they were updating furniture in their outdoor patio. At least that’s how I recall it. She’s deceased, and my daughter has the set now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Mi Tierra is good for pastries and the mariachi bar.

The actual Mexican food? Yeah... I don't know about that. 

Well. I would just disagree with that. Some in San Antonio won't go to Mi Tierra because they think it is too touristy. Sure. there are always lots of tourists there and the prices are touristy but I have always believed that Mi  Tierra offers some of the best mexican food in San Antonio. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, salonghorn said:

Well. I would just disagree with that. Some in San Antonio won't go to Mi Tierra because they think it is too touristy. Sure. there are always lots of tourists there and the prices are touristy but I have always believed that Mi  Tierra offers some of the best mexican food in San Antonio. 

agreed.  is mi tierra great for out of towners?  hell yeah.   just like the riverwalk is, but its still badass for locals.  a feather in our cap.  i'm not a local anymore, but lived there for 11 yrs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:04 PM, salonghorn said:

On 10/15/2023 at 1:07 PM, thrillhammer said:

agreed.  is mi tierra great for out of towners?  hell yeah.   just like the riverwalk is, but its still badass for locals.  a feather in our cap.  i'm not a local anymore, but lived there for 11 yrs. 

I mean... Mi Tierra is fine. It's good, even. But there is no way in hell it is some of the "best Mexican food in San Antonio." You can swing a dead cat on just about any major intersection on the West Side of San Antonio and find better Mexican food. Hell, it's not even the best Mexican food restaurant in El Mercado. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I mean... Mi Tierra is fine. It's good, even. But there is no way in hell it is some of the "best Mexican food in San Antonio." You can swing a dead cat on just about any major intersection on the West Side of San Antonio and find better Mexican food. Hell, it's not even the best Mexican food restaurant in El Mercado. 

I agree with all of this but it has a special place in my heart.  It was our last stop after a night of drinking in SA before heading back to Austin at 2:00 AM.  It’s a miracle I survived those days.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I got dragged to lunch by a client to Uncle Julio’s in Ft Worth. He said “I found this place. I think it’s the best fajitas!” I told hit had been there almost 40 years which he didn’t believe. (Margarita/sangria swirls and a tortilla machine were big deals). He’s lived on that side of Ft Worth since before they opened.

It’s been a few years so I went with cheese enchiladas. Worst I’ve had in years. They were covered in a watery thin insipid “beef sauce” or “homemade carne salsa”. I then remembered that was why I quit going there yeas ago. How do you fuck that up? I should have gotten queso on them instead that was so bad.

He got his chicken fajitas that he raved about. They looked like they were boiled.