Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

2 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

I know I’ve posted these before but I only make it down here every 6 months or so. It bears repeating…

I’m ready to crown Juan in a Million the new cheese enchilada champion in Austin now that dart bowl is no more.
a305fbd88ad278a799007d95de021da3.jpg

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Mrs. Brat has been making crepes for her signature enchiladas as requested by the three birthday kids (July & August) we are celebrating with a dinner here Saturday. 
She has made a total of 48 regular dinner crepes and a dozen vegan. I will cook a couple of pounds of ground beef (taco spiced) Friday, so all she has to do Saturday morning is make the chili gravy before “assembling” them in three pans for the oven. Plus she will make a large salad bowl. 
I will pick up a load of queso, guacamole and chips from the nearby TexMex joint (and maybe some Mexican Martinis & frozen Margaritas).

9382F5DD-63F7-41D9-9C87-8124F9BFDFCA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:47 PM, BearCountry11 said:

I know I’ve posted these before but I only make it down here every 6 months or so. It bears repeating…

I’m ready to crown Juan in a Million the new cheese enchilada champion in Austin now that dart bowl is no more.
a305fbd88ad278a799007d95de021da3.jpg

Wait....you got a mexican plate at Juan in a Million and got the regular pintos instead of their refrieds?  I know it SOUNDS like a silly thing to emphasize, but their refrieds are the best in town.  Made with real-deal lard (and I suspect, bacon grease), they are perfection.  Never, ever, EVER pass up the refrieds there.  Okay?  Just don't.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ain't nuttin' wrong with some charros.  Some days I'm refried, some days charros, some days borrachos, some days black.  (That came out wrong.)

No disagreement on the love for all the frijoles.  I'm just telling you -- and this is authoritative on the matter -- that JIAM NAILS their refrieds.  You may like all kinds of beans, but when one place nails a particular style above all contenders, you should get that style there.  Get charro or black beans when you go to other places.  When you go to JIAM, get refrieds.

Seriously.  They're so damn good that I've been known to order an extra side of refrieds when I go.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I almost always order double beans, no rice regardless of where I'm at.  If I don't wolf 'em all down, breakfast.

That's tough for me, as I love rice.  I get it from both sides -- messican and coonass.  Love me a pot of white rice to go with whatever cajun goodness I'm whipping up.  Love me some mexican rice on the side, maybe stirred in with my frijoles.

Rice and beans are magical, and should get more love.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's tough for me, as I love rice.  I get it from both sides -- messican and coonass.  Love me a pot of white rice to go with whatever cajun goodness I'm whipping up.  Love me some mexican rice on the side, maybe stirred in with my frijoles.

Rice and beans are magical, and should get more love.

I love rice in vindaloo, jambalaya, or as a base for a good gumbo, etc.  I'm just not as big a fan of Mex/Spanish rice when more beans are an option.  Plus, I get to bomb my wife with impunity all night long.  Sorry, honey.  Fight back.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love rice in vindaloo, jambalaya, or as a base for a good gumbo, etc.  I'm just not as big a fan of Mex/Spanish rice when more beans are an option.  Plus, I get to bomb my wife with impunity all night long.  Sorry, honey.  Fight back.

Respek.  I have a fair bean tolerance.  Ethnic privilege, I guess.  But man....let me load up on falafel (and I do, I LOVE falafel)....and my wife gets legit angry at me.  Tough, sweetie -- them's the breaks.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Love me some mexican rice on the side, maybe stirred in with my frijoles. Rice and beans are magical, and should get more love.

My man. Anytime I've got beans and I've got rice, they are gonna end up married.

Of course, this we learned at a very young age.

• Like 1

Just now, NoName said:

mix em up, add any leftover salsa on top of it and go to town!

Exactly. Take your typical plate of Tex-Mex: entree in the middle surrounded by beans, rice, pico, crema, salet, guac, etc. I usually eat the entree immediately, then mix everything else and load it up into some flour tortillas. The tacos go home for a delicious snack or light meal (unless I'm super hungry, in which case, they die on the spot).

Happy times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

My man. Anytime I've got beans and I've got rice, they are gonna end up married.

Of course, this we learned at a very young age.

My wife actually sings that song whenever I serve beans and rice.  Which is kinda often.

Red beans and rice.

Arroz con frijoles.

Feijoada.

Magical, each and every one of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Respek.  I have a fair bean tolerance.  Ethnic privilege, I guess.  But man....let me load up on falafel (and I do, I LOVE falafel)....and my wife gets legit angry at me.  Tough, sweetie -- them's the breaks.

Grill a steak marinated for hours in chimichurri sauce and you're liable to catch a charge overnight.  I don't know of anything that has proved more lethal in the post-meal-ass-gas department.

@ohchaucer I would give you grief for eating things in order but the other night I found myself putting rice, beans, and a piece of enchilada into fresh tortillas and eating it like a taco. It was awesome.  Enchiladas Mexicanas (cheese enchiladas w/ chili con of course, and topped with beef fajita meat and pico) from Papa Lopez in Allen. 

IMG_20230715_180612.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Haven't seen this at HEB before, but grabbed a couple bottles for a quick enchilada run. It seems to me to have a bit more heat than the hatch red enchilada sauce and the kids noted it. Totally serviceable lazy enchilada sauce, imo. I didn't do any real doctoring but time permitting would consider cooking a roux and adding the sauce +/- some meat/seasoning for the gravy would go a long way. Anyways, sometimes food needs to get on plates and this worked. Pics of the cheese enchiladas and some nacho snacks to hold everyone over while they baked.

image.jpeg.84c610e519066e24e4c6ffed48e6e8e3.jpeg

IMG-0657.jpg

IMG-0640.jpg

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, threesheets said:

@ohchaucer I would give you grief for eating things in order but the other night I found myself putting rice, beans, and a piece of enchilada into fresh tortillas and eating it like a taco. It was awesome.  Enchiladas Mexicanas (cheese enchiladas w/ chili con of course, and topped with beef fajita meat and pico) from Papa Lopez in Allen. 

IMG_20230715_180612.jpg

Any Texan who hasn't occasionally made an enchilada taco at their local tex mex joint is either lying, or a commie.  Probably both.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, threesheets said:

@ohchaucer I would give you grief for eating things in order but the other night I found myself putting rice, beans, and a piece of enchilada into fresh tortillas and eating it like a taco.

I believe that the flavor of virtually anything can be improved by simply rolling it in a tortilla.

Now, I know how some of you assholes think. "What about shit, Braff? You think even that would be better?"

Yes. Yes, I do.

Ever had a chilito from Taco Bell? Sure, they say chilito is a portmanteau for chili cheese burrito, but open one up and it's pretty obvious a baby crapped inside there.

And yet ... delicious.

Q.E.D.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, threesheets said:

IMG_20230715_180612.jpg

I’ve been on a ranchero sauce kick lately, otherwise that looks pretty good.  Never been there, may have to give it a shot the next time I find myself in southern Oklahoma.

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

@conVINCEd I can get to Richardson just as fast as I can get to Papa Lopez from my house. And way the fuck faster than I can get to the Red River.  Living in Dallas County isn't the flex it used to be 😁

Wasn’t really a flex.  We just tend to head south when we go out.

On 1/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s pretty damned outstanding. There’s some things I don’t like about Goode Co Cantina, but cheese enchilada, carne asada, and quail are top notch. 

Every time I go to Houston, I go from IAH straight to the Cantina ( the one in Memorial) for the tres hombres and a damn goode rita 

On 7/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, Brisketexan said:

I've been known to order an extra side of refrieds when I go.

I thought this was standard practice. I always get a double of refrieds so there's usually some leftover to take home and use as a hinge/glue/structural support in breffiss tacos the following morning.

Assembling enchiladas for this afternoon’s family birthday dinner.

She made two pans of a dozen real enchiladas each,  one pan of a dozen vegan. 
And she’ll have enough leftover to make another.
Cheddar/jack cheese will be added on top along with more chopped onions prior to baking in oven later this afternoon…

80D55DCA-2810-42E8-97C3-EC196AA9B455.jpeg

2D7C62AF-94CF-4795-861F-C2CEA687DC52.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Of course she has lots of extra gravy sauce to put on top of all three pans just before she puts them in the oven. 
What you see there will have been soaked up by the assembled enchiladas while they are waiting in the fridge for several hours.

• Hook 'Em 1