Renaming Robert E Lee Rd. (Austin)

KaiserSoze

I've lived in Barton Hills for the last 10 years and figured this was coming, especially since the street signs were vandalized last year. These signs showed up in the neighborhood this week- public hearing scheduled for April 26th.

A year or so ago in the neighborhood newsletter there was an article about the background of why the street has that name. According to the article it was a common path soldiers took East to join fighting in the Civil War... allegedly, I haven't verified that myself.

Anyway, they should probably just rename Melridge and REL to continue Bluebonnet from S. Lamar to Barton Springs a la Kinney, or name it after a local musician or something.

I'm curious to see if it turns into a shit show or not.

EDIT- looks like Tapa prefers to display the pic sideways... good times.56aae8b982a8e8911ace92d32376fec5.jpg

Maybe they should name it after somebody else named Lee. Then the people who regularly use that street who just call it "Lee" won't have to get that out of their head and learn a whole new name.

Bruce Lee would be a kick ass name for a street.

In reality it looks like it's going to be named after Azie Taylor Morton.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/robert-e-lee-road-in-austin-could-be-renamed-for-azie-taylor-morton/994793405

Still, I think it's obvious that there needs to be a Night Train Lane in Austin. Every decade or so I have a good idea, so I guess I was due after the Greg Davis Is Not Our Standard slogan for the airplane banner.

• Fuck You 1

Don Baylor Road works. VY is the greatest but he needs a street in Houston named after him. 
Wait, then it will be called Baylor Road. Sorry, Don.

Ben Crenshaw Road.

Night Train Lane. There. That's perfect.

Willie Wells should get dibs over Don Baylor but Night Train Lane is great work.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Don Baylor Road works. VY is the greatest but he needs a street in Houston named after him.

Wait, then it will be called Baylor Road. Sorry, Don.

Ben Crenshaw Road.

Night Train Lane. There. That's perfect.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Should be in Pasadena, CA.

Why shouldn't he have a street named after him in all 3?