Renaming Robert E Lee Rd. (Austin)

KaiserSoze

49 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

About half the Austin populace doesn't even know who Robert E. Lee is or could give any context even if they have heard the name.

I say name it "Tree Fiddy Avenue.

My wife is a direct descendant of Bobby Lee.  Explains my life of slavery for the past 24 years.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 6:00 PM, Huckleberry said:

I would add James Street but I guess there might already be one.

Yes, I know he was born in Longview but he spent decades in Austin. Plus it works like Night Train Lane. My rules are malleable.

James Street Road reminds me of Outerbridge Crossing in Staten Island.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:52 AM, DougO said:

Maybe they should name it after somebody else named Lee. Then the people who regularly use that street who just call it "Lee" won't have to get that out of their head and learn a whole new name.

Bruce Lee would be a kick ass name for a street.

Robert Bruce Lee Ave. 

So, it's Robert E Lee → Azie Morton Rd. (first black U.S. treasurer)

(also Jeff Davis Ave. →  WIlliam H . Holland (ex-slave, became Travis Co. Comissioner).

Adolph Hitler road rejected due to they thought it might make people think they were on the Autobahn and drive too fast.

Edited by phdhorn

• 9 months later...

One year after Austin school trustees pledged to rename five schools with Confederate monikers, they are expected on Monday night to rename Reagan High School, though it is unclear whether they will push to rename Lanier High School at the same meeting.

Newly elected Trustee LaTisha Anderson, who represents the area of east and northeast Austin that includes Reagan, said she will lobby to rename the school Monday night. Anderson did not reveal the new school name but said it will be Barack H. Obama or North East, two of the finalists chosen by the Reagan community.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190222/austin-school-board-set-to-rename-reagan-high-on-monday-night

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

actually, uh, the white guilt trumps the minority anger, and it’s not even close.  

Actually you couldn’t be more right.  I’m not sayin it shouldn’t be changed but it usually paternalistic white folks losing their minds on behalf of the minorities who they assume are too stupid or disadvantaged to speak for themselves. 

On 4/20/2018 at 10:52 AM, DougO said:

Maybe they should name it after somebody else named Lee. Then the people who regularly use that street who just call it "Lee" won't have to get that out of their head and learn a whole new name.

Bruce Lee would be a kick ass name for a street.

Lee Harvey Oswald St.

• Haha 1

Which is weird because the "French & Indian War'" makes it sound like they were enemies.  Or Buddies.  Or aggressors.  Or opponents.  Or allies.  Or co-beligerents.

It was a big deal to study in Illinois growing up, but I can honestly never remember.

I enjoy when tough-guy Southerners complain about this generation of kids being too soft, everybody is a snowflake and gets a trophy just for showing up.  And then they decry when a confederate monument or sign has to come down because it "erases our heritage and our history."  Confederate statues and plaques and street names are the ultimate Participation Trophy.  They don't have parades for the loser of the World Series, but every fucking year you dipshits have your "Heritage Weekend"