Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Abbott forced UTSW to close its clinic:

https://www.dmagazine.com/healthcare-business/2022/04/genecis-founder-governors-office-pressured-utsw-to-shut-down-clinic-for-transgender-kids/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_dallas&stream=top

The founder of the now-closed pediatric transgender clinic at UT Southwestern Medical Center testified in court on Monday that Gov. Greg Abbott’s office directly pressured the president of the medical school to stop providing gender-affirming treatment to new patients. 

Dr. Ximena Lopez joined the faculty of UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children’s Health in 2012. Two years later, Lopez founded the GENECIS clinic, the only treatment clinic for pediatric patients with gender dysphoria in the southwestern United States. 

Earlier this month, the Dallas Morning News reported that Lopez was suing UT Southwestern to learn more about why the medical center unbranded her clinic and stopped offering puberty blockers and hormone therapy to new patients. The change of policy from UT Southwestern followed a protest from an anti-transgender group at a board member’s home.

On Monday, Lopez testified that she was called into a meeting last May and told that the governor’s office had contacted UT Southwestern CEO Dr. Daniel Podolsky to request that he shut down the pediatric transgender clinic. 

Under questioning from her lawyer, the Harvard-educated pediatric endocrinologist said that administrators requested that she help transition all patients out of the clinic so they could receive their care elsewhere. Lopez said she was shocked; there had been no negative feedback from the 1,000-plus patients the clinic had treated. She testified that she told her bosses that she felt she would be abandoning the clinic’s current 600 transgender pediatric patients, who already face significant discrimination in non-medical settings. 

“I can’t emphasize how life saving this treatment is,” Lopez said during her testimony.

The American Academy of Pediatrics endorses gender-affirming care, which includes hormone therapy and puberty blockers, even as states like Texas continue to make restrictions that conflict with what medical authorities say is the standard of care for patients with gender dysphoria

• Rage+1 6

On 4/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, Hookah Horns said:

It also gets redder the more olds there are.

True.  But I noticed an odd phenomenon during the last few election cycles in my parents 'hood in Sun City, as those olds love to post their campaign signs.

In 2012, the McCain signs overwhelmingly outnumbered the Obama signs.  Typical, I thought.

In 2016, I was shocked to see about 30-40% Hillary signs.

In 2020, it was probably split down the middle between Biden and Trump.

And to throw in a mid-term election, in 2018 it was roughly 40% Beto and 60% Ted Cruz is a piece of shit.

Now, this is all very unscientific and anecdotal, but I found it fascinating, because I just assumed the olds in Sun City are just as red as the olds anywhere else.  But it could be that a large number of the Sun City olds are not native Texans (like my parents), and many come from places like, say, California, and are not dyed in the wool conservatives.  Or maybe a lot of them are more traditional Republicans from way back when who are actually principled enough to reject what their party has become (like my mom -- that's your cue, gents). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

True.  But I noticed an odd phenomenon during the last few election cycles in my parents 'hood in Sun City, as those olds love to post their campaign signs.

In 2012, the McCain signs overwhelmingly outnumbered the Obama signs.  Typical, I thought.

And to throw in a mid-term election, in 2018 it was roughly 40% Beto and 60% Ted Cruz is a piece of shit.

Now, this is all very unscientific and anecdotal, but I found it fascinating, because I just assumed the olds in Sun City are just as red as the olds anywhere else.  But it could be that a large number of the Sun City olds are not native Texans (like my parents), and many come from places like, say, California, and are not dyed in the wool conservatives.  Or maybe a lot of them are more traditional Republicans from way back when who are actually principled enough to reject what their party has become (like my mom -- that's your cue, gents). 

Csb: I remember after the 2020 election when Biden was announced as winner (lol I know) a few days after the election that I was driving in Alamo Heights in SA one morning I saw this old man (probably late 60s early 70s) taking one of his Biden signs out of the ground and threw up a big fist pump in the air as if exclaiming “fuck yea”. I always passed this house and the house across the street was full of trump signs.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'm not familiar with Sun City - are these well-heeled olds? Seems to me that well-heeled and cultured olds are much more likely to be/vote D than the salt of the earth/country olds. 

Well yeah...Abbott blustered about shipping them out of Texas for the sound bite he wanted, but when the actual details came out (mostly the part about it being voluntary and free), migrant rights groups said that it was close to something they've been calling for.  

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, bluto said:

tlDIDr …. he’s a political weather vane who is only out for himself and solely focused on his $ warchest with zero actual platform or agenda to better the state/his constituents. 

So did the border inspections help fundraising somehow?  Because I don't see what Abbott was trying to accomplish there.  If he was somehow worried about West or Huffhines, I could see it in the runup to the primary, but why now?  He's going to cruise to victory over Beto.  Is he really thinking of running for President?  I don't see what he had to gain from that whole bout of stupidity.

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

Well yeah...Abbott blustered about shipping them out of Texas for the sound bite he wanted, but when the actual details came out (mostly the part about it being voluntary and free), migrant rights groups said that it was close to something they've been calling for.  

Migrants rights groups upon hearing Texas was bussing migrants further into the country:

stopcomeback-willywonka.gif

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

Abbott forced UTSW to close its clinic:

https://www.dmagazine.com/healthcare-business/2022/04/genecis-founder-governors-office-pressured-utsw-to-shut-down-clinic-for-transgender-kids/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_dallas&stream=top

The founder of the now-closed pediatric transgender clinic at UT Southwestern Medical Center testified in court on Monday that Gov. Greg Abbott’s office directly pressured the president of the medical school to stop providing gender-affirming treatment to new patients. 

Dr. Ximena Lopez joined the faculty of UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children’s Health in 2012. Two years later, Lopez founded the GENECIS clinic, the only treatment clinic for pediatric patients with gender dysphoria in the southwestern United States. 

Earlier this month, the Dallas Morning News reported that Lopez was suing UT Southwestern to learn more about why the medical center unbranded her clinic and stopped offering puberty blockers and hormone therapy to new patients. The change of policy from UT Southwestern followed a protest from an anti-transgender group at a board member’s home.

On Monday, Lopez testified that she was called into a meeting last May and told that the governor’s office had contacted UT Southwestern CEO Dr. Daniel Podolsky to request that he shut down the pediatric transgender clinic. 

Under questioning from her lawyer, the Harvard-educated pediatric endocrinologist said that administrators requested that she help transition all patients out of the clinic so they could receive their care elsewhere. Lopez said she was shocked; there had been no negative feedback from the 1,000-plus patients the clinic had treated. She testified that she told her bosses that she felt she would be abandoning the clinic’s current 600 transgender pediatric patients, who already face significant discrimination in non-medical settings. 

“I can’t emphasize how life saving this treatment is,” Lopez said during her testimony.

The American Academy of Pediatrics endorses gender-affirming care, which includes hormone therapy and puberty blockers, even as states like Texas continue to make restrictions that conflict with what medical authorities say is the standard of care for patients with gender dysphoria

What was it Brisket said five years ago? Oh yea.

Cruelty is our brand.

Can there be a more harmless group of people than the gender-confused/trans-gender kids faced with puberty? Is it so difficult to imagine the stresses both internal and external such a person is subjected to through no choice of their own?

All for a bunch of insecure male testicle tanners at the head of a lynch mob looking for new victims and a return to the illusory days when men were men.  This cruel mob was never what defined men in any decent context whatsoever.

I wish only horrible things for the cruel and cynically cruel. They exist outside of what I consider to be civilised society. They share a realm with rapers, robbers, and other predatory humans. In short, they make themselves enemies. To hell with them all.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, WBT said:

So did the border inspections help fundraising somehow?  Because I don't see what Abbott was trying to accomplish there.  If he was somehow worried about West or Huffhines, I could see it in the runup to the primary, but why now?  He's going to cruise to victory over Beto.  Is he really thinking of running for President?  I don't see what he had to gain from that whole bout of stupidity.

Well he's not actually running for anything.

That said I would love for him to enter the race just so that Trump can make fun of him being a cripple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, gmr548 said:

Comal county is pretty red. But it’s got a population of 160k so you can find a few hundred Democrats.

About to be two less than there were. My liberal doctor buddy moved there a few months back from Bouldin Creek to avoid property taxes. Realized he was surrounded by rubes and is moving to southern Cali. Lol. 

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Wonder how sack feels about his tax dollars going towards helping poor people?  He’s probably mad af right now. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

About to be two less than there were. My liberal doctor buddy moved there a few months back from Bouldin Creek to avoid property taxes. Realized he was surrounded by rubes and is moving to southern Cali. Lol. 

I know a local AusChron columnist who moved to Smithville last year, and she's already bailing.

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Abbott is one fucktarded piece of stupid dick.

You are the Poet Laureate of Surly

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

PM me if he needs a realtor.  

• Like 1

From the DMN:

The Dallas appeals court has temporarily halted an order that two of UT Southwestern’s top leaders answer questions under oath about recent changes at its program for transgender youth.

The reprieve is a meaningful win for Dr. Daniel Podolsky, UT Southwestern’s president, and Dr. John Warner, its hospitals CEO, who were taken to court by the physician who used to run the program known as Genecis. The three-judge panel of the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas, made up of two Democrats and one Republican, did not give a reason for granting the stay.

Supposedly his website allows people to donate money to pay for the free bus trips to DC for the immigrants that volunteer.

And can anyone go on those free bus rides, or just recent immigrants?  I like DC, I wouldn't mind free transportation.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know a local AusChron columnist who moved to Smithville last year, and she's already bailing.

I’ve always wondered how that’s working out. You see a lot of musicians, not C&W but alt rock, moving to Bastrop and Lockhart because of housing costs. Gotta wonder what type of cultural tension is simmering there with the inbred locals.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’ve always wondered how that’s working out. You see a lot of musicians, not C&W but alt rock, moving to Bastrop and Lockhart because of housing costs. Gotta wonder what type of cultural tension is simmering there with the inbred locals.

Depends on whether an individual prefers crackers or bread.

I'm not familiar with Sun City - are these well-heeled olds? Seems to me that well-heeled and cultured olds are much more likely to be/vote D than the salt of the earth/country olds. 
More like Salt the earth olds, amirite.

They do want to leave things shitty, fuck you pay me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

If he's moving to Orange Co the joke is on him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
On 4/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Those frustrated GQPers in the OC are some of Abbott's biggest donors. 

52 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
On 4/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Ha, he is actually. Ladera. I thought Orange County turned blue in 2018 though. No?

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yuh huh. It was pretty close in most races, but Dems won the majority. Including Katie porter. 

https://ocvote.gov/fileadmin/live/gen2018/results.htm

Well I'll be... it's closer to blue than before. Will be interesting to see how that trends. But all the frustrated GOP folks there fuck around by donating to GOP candidates around the country. 

5 minutes ago, YChang said:

Well I'll be... it's closer to blue than before. Will be interesting to see how that trends. But all the frustrated GOP folks there fuck around by donating to GOP candidates around the country. 

Fucking OC Asians (and there's a LOT of them) keep electing assholes, like Young Kim. 

Just now, YChang said:

Hey hey be specific. It's all those dang Vietnamese. They're like the Cubans of the area. 

Point taken.

And here's how fucked up OC is...47% of the voters think Katie Porter shouldn't be in office.  She's the fucking Mike Trout of the house, and 47% voted for somebody else. 

• Hook 'Em 1