the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Eq1ARPqXIAEE4tR?format=jpg&name=large

He’ll have to explain going to jail bc of DC gun laws. They’ll roll from out of state in packing 3 deep and get busted

Bowser should station police at every road leading into DC and just have them arrested immediately. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, she evidently is a lawyer employed by Foley primarily as a "rainmaker" due to her political connections.

Note that her profile does not indicate any significant engagements, but rather editorials published at National Review.  https://www.foley.com/en/people/m/mitchell-cleta

Compare political law superstar Elias.  https://www.perkinscoie.com/en/professionals/marc-e-elias/experience.html

Clients at law firms like Foley are vetted and accepted based on a number of criteria.  Dollars to donuts, any engagement by Donald Trump was not cleared or approved by the firm and likely would not have been in light of the bad publicity garnered by Jones Day and Porter Wright.

I cannot imagine that the firm is happy with her, at all.

Also if she had secret clients, particularly politically connected clients, she's putting the entire firm at risk for conflicts/malpractice.   What if the firm represented Biden, Raffensberg, some Georgia political entities, etc.?  Hell, at least in theory, Raffensberger could have retained Foley to represent him in the pending lawsuit, and Cleta's engagement by Trump would never have shown up on a conflict check.  You can't have secret clients from your law firm.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Sorry, Melissa and little Ronnie, Daddy ain't coming back home.

This made me think of that really old SNL skit.  It's just Eddie Murphy as himself at a desk.  Telling the story of how he's another black kid who didn't grow up with a father.  When he was very young, his father told Eddie that he was going out to get some milk for his breakfast cereal.  And Murphy hasn't seen him since and the next thing he knows he's got some half brother Ronnie running around the country in a pair of Danskins.  He finished by saying, "you all know my father..." and he pulls out a portrait of President Reagan.  It was really funny at the time.  Probably funnier than the fact that all around the country, there are "dads" heading "off to battle" meaning tactical vests that barely fit under the seatbelts of their buddy's Dodge Charger, leaving behind really confused children for the next week of school.  

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/poppa-i-love-you/n8882

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

And here we go. GOP begins their “we don’t want federal oversight of elections but also here’s some federal guidelines of what is normally state by state law on conducting elections BUT WE LOVE FEDERALISM”

By the same logic being applied by Republicans in these court cases, wouldn’t this be unconstitutional?

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Wait, he just booked his flight today?

I would have thought these MAGA lovers would have booked their flights earlier than this to beat the rush.  Plus, nice touch to mention that he once swore to uphold the Constitution, but now, it's not worth a shit to him.

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oops, said the quiet part out loud again.

"We can't win when its up to the voters, we need an antiquated 238 year old institution to ensure our minority politics continues to be allowed to rule the country." 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

yeah, how many times have Nebraska and Maine done it this way and they've yet to implode?  They both also still somehow hung on and remained states.  

So, I dug around.  Trump DID NOT file any "confidentiality" lawsuits against Raffensberger today.

30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Finally!

Thank you random judge in Wisconsin for having some stones!

Actually not Wisconsin, but federal DC District court.  

If they are dumb enough to keep filing any more "election contests," there is going to be a cavalcade of sanctions being levied.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's still the state that regularly suppressed votes and has done all sorts of things to undermine voters, but I suppose I should be heartened that they won't give in to the threats.

That's the best part of all of this.  He's a republican trying his hardest to get republican voters to vote tomorrow to save the republican majority in the senate and he's actively having to fight the republican president to do it.  Its fucking bonkers.

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

That's the best part of all of this.  He's a republican trying his hardest to get republican voters to vote tomorrow to save the republican majority in the senate and he's actively having to fight the republican president to do it.  Its fucking bonkers.

It is, and maybe I'm being unbelievably naive given US and World History, but if our country wants free and fair elections then from the get go, partisan party bullshit should have never been tolerated. Ever. For the most part, the guardrails were there, but gerrymandering, voter purges, suppression in other ways like poll closures--these have been nothing new, including the outrageous stuff for which North Carolina was always getting busted. Likewise, Wisconsin.

Humans cheat, bend, twist, and contort to achieve an advantage (I'm leaving out the darker topics) but should never be allowed around power without sufficient oversight to ensure that democracy prevails.

11 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I think Trump might be so aggrieved that he might do something completely off the rails at the rally tonight. Like "you know what? If the Republicans aren't going to defend me, I'm not going to defend them.  Stay home tomorrow, folks. Don't go and vote."   You KNOW that this rally is going to be about him and NOT about Loeffler/Perdue.  You KNOW that he's pissed off at Mitch McConnell, doesn't care a whit about the Republican party (he was a lifelong Democrat until about 15 years ago), and doesn't want to make things easy for McConnell in the next Senatorial session. 

Also, the George presser is LIT.  The sign language person is awesome.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The first decent response from a GOP Senator, and it comes from WV of all places.

Another one who just won a 6 year term.  Don't think she has national ambitions either.

Rob Portman and Ted's butt buddy Mike Lee are also in the "we lost, get over it" camp. 

Paraphrased as...

Today I told my kids that I’m seeking to be part of a movement to overthrow the US government by intimidating elected officials and civilians with threats and/or acts of physical violence. If that makes me a terrorist, so be it.

I once served as a member of the military and enjoy benefits of a functioning government, the same government I now wish to overthrow.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I think Trump might be so aggrieved that he might do something completely off the rails at the rally tonight. Like "you know what? If the Republicans aren't going to defend me, I'm not going to defend them.  Stay home tomorrow, folks. Don't go and vote."   You KNOW that this rally is going to be about him and NOT about Loeffler/Perdue.  You KNOW that he's pissed off at Mitch McConnell, doesn't care a whit about the Republican party (he was a lifelong Democrat until about 15 years ago), and doesn't want to make things easy for McConnell in the next Senatorial session. 

Also, the George presser is LIT.  The sign language person is awesome.

I don't know if he's still on the steroids from two months ago, I'm guessing not--but he's not going to need them. In the past he would appear subdued at some of the rallies but I think he's too deep into his delusion now and no one to speak truth to fantasy. He has a lot of ground to cover, all that you mention plus the corporate world turning away from him. That's a big victim chip to have on his shoulder. If he does mention the candidates it will likely be to slur Ossoff and Warnock with the usual hate speech triggers more than the GOP candidates. Slurs get the crowd juiced and he feeds off of that.

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Paraphrased as...

Today I told my kids that I’m seeking to be part of a movement to overthrow the US government by intimidating elected officials and civilians with threats and/or acts of physical violence. If that makes me a terrorist, so be it.

I once served as a member of the military and enjoy benefits of a functioning government, the same government I now wish to overthrow.

This jackass just became one of those domestic enemies.  These people are fucking nuts.

54 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The gerrymandering will only be worse with proportional allotment of electors.  MI, WI, and PA electors would have gone for trump under this system.  But agree the House of Reps needs to be increased in size.

I don't get what you're saying. Let's use an example of what Penelope's talking about:

Michigan had 16 electoral votes this election. Biden won Michigan, he gets the 2 Senatorial electoral votes. That leaves 14. Those 14 are assigned proportionally to the State's popular vote. Gerrymandering would do nothing in this scenario. The key is the proportional assignment of the 14. That can mean different things because of rounding, etc. My preferred method:

1. Round everyone's proportional votes down to the next whole number.
  2. Any remainder votes go in order to those with the largest remainders.

So in this case Biden and Trump would both get 7 of the 14 House electoral votes. Biden gets 9 Michigan EVs and Trump gets 7.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I still think the answer is to up the number of the HoR (435 cap is fucking dumb) and then have the Electoral College still exist, but have the EC votes associated with HoR numbers be proportional, and those related to the Senate numbers be winner takes all.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

yeah, how many times have Nebraska and Maine done it this way and they've yet to implode?  They both also still somehow hung on and remained states.  

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

The gerrymandering will only be worse with proportional allotment of electors.  MI, WI, and PA electors would have gone for trump under this system.  But agree the House of Reps needs to be increased in size.

Yep.  NE-2 was gerrymandered in 2008 after Obama won.  It will almost certainly be again. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to a winner-takes-all format.  They tried that after 2008, but we had a bad-ass State Senator filibuster it, and there really wasn't the political will to fight him on it.  There were enough Republicans in the base who felt having some attention on Omaha was a good thing, and without the split, no candidates are going to come to Nebraska.  But, that means prioritizing local concerns over national party goals.  I don't see local concerns winning out this time.  

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't get what you're saying. Let's use an example of what Penelope's talking about:

Michigan had 16 electoral votes this election. Biden won Michigan, he gets the 2 Senatorial electoral votes. That leaves 14. Those 14 are assigned proportionally to the State's popular vote. Gerrymandering would do nothing in this scenario. The key is the proportional assignment of the 14. That can mean different things because of rounding, etc. My preferred method:

1. Round everyone's proportional votes down to the next whole number.
  2. Any remainder votes go in order to those with the largest remainders.

So in this case Biden and Trump would both get 7 of the 14 House electoral votes. Biden gets 9 Michigan EVs and Trump gets 7.

Nebraska and Maine, the two states that currently "proportionally" split their EC votes, both allocate them by congressional district. For instance, under this scenario, WI has 8 congressional districts, 5 are GOP, 3 dem.  There would be a 5-5 split with EC votes, despite Biden winning the state.  And that's before the shenanigans that take place with the gerrymander after the HoR is increased.  

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Maybe this goes in the memes thread but this is the lone holdout on my facebook feed:

Image may contain: text that says 'Only in America will we stop a football game, drag out measuring chains and look at a play 15 times from 6 different angles to make sure we make the right call, but won't verify the integrity of an election of the highest office in our nation!'

My response:

It's been 2 months and over 70 lawsuits without any evidence. If there was evidence it would have been released by now. To complete the analogy... The ruling on the field was confirmed but the losing team has resorted to saying the rules don't apply to them because they had more fans in the stadium than the other team.*

*BUT THEY DIDN'T YOU MENTALLY DEFICIENT TOAD!

fify