Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

10 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So, according to the WSJ, abortions actually went up last year after Dobbs, albeit slightly.  Births were also down (again).

It's like Dobbs didn't do anything except unify everyone against the Republicans.  Excellent.

It also subjected a lot of women to unnecessary pain and suffering. Not so excellent.

• Rage+1 2

Idaho's first 'abortion trafficking' arrest:

Last week, an Idaho teenager and his mother were arrested for bringing the teen’s girlfriend out-of-state for an abortion. The pair were charged with multiple felonies, including second degree kidnapping, for taking a minor under 16 years-old “with the intent to keep or conceal [her] from her custodial parent...by transporting the child out of the state for the purpose of obtaining an abortion.” 

The 15 year-old, identified in court records as K.B., was living in Pocatello with her 18 year-old boyfriend Kaydn* and his mother, Rachael, when she became pregnant. In May, they brought her to Oregon, where K.B. received abortion medication. Idaho’s ‘abortion trafficking’ law went into effect that same month. 

The investigation into the mother and son began shortly after K.B.’s mother reported to police that her daughter had been sexually assaulted. Though K.B. became sexually active when Kaydn was 17 years-old, he turned 18 during the course of their relationship; so in addition to the kidnapping charge, court documents show that he’s also been charged with rape and sexual exploitation of a child.

During this conversation with law enforcement, K.B.’s mother also reported that her daughter had been taken to Oregon for an abortion without parental permission. This sparked a far-reaching investigation that included accessing geolocation data to place the teenager at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Bend, and tracking her movement with Kaydn and Rachael from Idaho to Oregon. (A search warrant, for example, shows that law enforcement accessed the phones of all three, and found that they were pinging cell towers in the area of the clinic.)

What’s also noteworthy is that while Kaydn and Rachael were charged with second degree kidnapping based on the fact that they brought K.B. out-of-state for an abortion, prosecutors declined to use the ‘abortion trafficking’ statute specifically. This may have something to do with the fact that the law is being challenged, and abortion rights advocates are asking for a temporary injunction against it while the case makes its way through the courts.

A ruling is expected in the next few weeks: if the judge blocks the law, prosecutors wouldn’t be able to enforce it in this, or any other, case. And so instead of citing the trafficking statute, prosecutors used the exact language of the trafficking law in the kidnapping charge.

I mean that literally: Idaho defines ‘abortion trafficking’ as an adult who “with the intent to conceal an abortion from the parents or guardian of a pregnant, unemancipated minor…procures an abortion.” The kidnapping charges against both Kaydn and Rachael accuse them of taking a child “with intent to keep or conceal K.B. from her custodial parent…by transporting the child out of the state for the purpose of obtaining an abortion.” It’s actually a pretty slick move, allowing prosecutors to charge the two with abortion trafficking without citing the statute specifically in case it gets blocked.

All that said, it’s evident from multiple court documents that this is a complicated story and a really sad situation. In one of the affidavits, for example, Bannock County prosecutor Erin Tognetti reports that Rachael was providing K.B. with methamphetamine and smoking it with her regularly. (In addition to kidnapping, Rachael has been charged with a litany of drug-related offenses.)

It’s also clear that K.B was treated poorly by her boyfriend and his mother. K.B. told law enforcement that her relationship with the pair deteriorated after she ended the pregnancy. Prosecutor Tognetti writes in the affidavit that they would “pick at everything she did and make her feel like everything she did was wrong.”

And while texts show the teen saying that she’s glad she ended the pregnancy, Tognetti writes that K.B. reported that Kaydn and Rachael pressured her into the abortion and dissuaded her from telling her mother—threatening to kick her out if she did.**

It’s unclear where the teen’s parents were during all of this; K.B. was supposed to be living with her father, but had moved in with her boyfriend six months prior.

It’s not surprising that the people at the center of this case seem to be having a really difficult time—we know that the most marginalized among us are much more likely to be charged or targeted by law enforcement in abortion-related cases (and all others). We also know that prosecutors seeking to test out laws like this are likely to go after people who won’t garner much sympathy from the public.

The hope is that people will be a little less outraged over an objectively outrageous law.

Abortion, Every Day will continue to bring you more information on this story as we get it. In the meantime, I’m sure like all of you—I’m just hoping that K.B. is safe.

• Rage+1 7

24 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I mean, I'm sure the feds have to get involved since this is literally an interstate commerce issue. But I'm also eagerly awaiting the surly legal brain trust to patiently explain to me why I shouldn't expect anything of the legal system to address this

On 10/31/2023 at 2:59 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Better hope so, there are a shitload of Republicans in Texas who want to arrest any woman, regardless of age, who leaves the state for an abortion.

i'll repeat my offer... if any surly member or their loved one needs help exercising female body autonomy, i've got a guest suite available on the burgeoning underground railroad here in CO, just DM me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

But I was told this was a matter of state's rights, and the federal government had no business getting involved.  Or something like that.

It does get confusing at times.

When you realize that the GQP actually has zero principles other than "power and control," it all checks out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

But I was told this was a matter of state's rights, and the federal government had no business getting involved.  Or something like that.

Not when the states don't do it right, duh. 

When Kimberly Manzano’s doctor first noticed some irregularities with her pregnancy, she turned to God, praying constantly for good news. When the diagnosis worsened, she and her husband sought comfort in the Bible’s Book of Hebrews — the book of hope.

And when her doctor finally determined her baby could not survive outside the womb, she asked her pastor for advice.

“He said, ‘if you believe your doctor to be a godly man, take what the doctor says as clarity from God in your decision,’” she recalls.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/14/texas-abortion-laws-lawsuit/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

The goal of the unscientific anti-abortion laws is not to save "a life" ... but to inflict upon women as much pain, anguish, humiliation, and anti-medical barbarism as possible. All backed by their Bible BS. 

Always has been with Christians and other theocrats. For thousands of years. Always will be. 

Broad brush much?

This is the first time since before Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973 that an adult woman has asked a court to intervene to allow her to terminate a pregnancy, and the first lawsuit of its kind since Texas banned almost all abortions in 2022.

Kate Cox, a 31-year-old Dallas woman, learned last week that her fetus was diagnosed with full trisomy 18, a chromosomal anomaly that is almost always fatal before or soon after birth. The fetus is developing with an umbilical hernia, a twisted spine, a club foot and an irregular skull and heart, according to the lawsuit.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/05/texas-abortion-lawsuit/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

This is the first time since before Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973 that an adult woman has asked a court to intervene to allow her to terminate a pregnancy, and the first lawsuit of its kind since Texas banned almost all abortions in 2022.

Kate Cox, a 31-year-old Dallas woman, learned last week that her fetus was diagnosed with full trisomy 18, a chromosomal anomaly that is almost always fatal before or soon after birth. The fetus is developing with an umbilical hernia, a twisted spine, a club foot and an irregular skull and heart, according to the lawsuit.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/05/texas-abortion-lawsuit/

So we're renaming it "Dan Patrick Syndrome" for reasons, right?  I don't give a fuck about coming across as insensitive anymore.  They're hunting frightened women.  Because it makes them feel strong.  

@Brisketexan Judge Maya doing stuff again.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/hearing-thursday-for-woman-suing-texas-over-abortion-ban/

A Travis County judge granted an emergency request to allow a Texas woman to seek an abortion. Judge Maya Guerra Gamble announced the decision after a hearing Thursday morning. 

Kate Cox, a 31-year-old mother of two young children in Dallas, filed suit against the state last week. Cox is pregnant, and said a screening revealed her baby has full trisomy 18 — a fatal chromosomal condition causing deformities and growth delays in fetal development. Babies with trisomy 18 are often stillborn or survive for only minutes or days, and their mothers are often at risk of losing the chance to have another child, the petition states.

Lawyers representing the State of Texas argued against granting a temporary restraining order, or TRO. Attorney Johnathan Stone said allowing Cox to get an abortion amounted to a permanent decision. “The abortion once performed is permanent. It can’t be undone,” Stone told the judge.

Texas Right to Life accuses the suit of “seek[ing] to conflate two separate issues: the risk to the mother and the child’s disability.” They argue a baby with trisomy 18 should be born and live until natural death.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Paxton couldn’t wait and he clearly wants an all out war of sorts over abortion, brilliant to do this going into an election year.  If Soros was paying somebody to do this to get Democrats and women out to vote, it’ would be money well spent.

GAxUKf0WAAAQFya?format=jpg&name=large

GAxUKf1WAAApWF8?format=jpg&name=large

Any woman who votes Republican in Texas is as fucking stupid as a black member of the Klan.

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Paxton couldn’t wait and he clearly wants an all out war of sorts over abortion, brilliant to do this going into an election year.  If Soros was paying somebody to do this to get Democrats and women out to vote, it’ would be money well spent.

GAxUKf0WAAAQFya?format=jpg&name=large

GAxUKf1WAAApWF8?format=jpg&name=large

image.png.45b1813a387c3c61965305e81b28c962.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Abbott, Paxton, MAGA, they are all fascists, patriarchs, and theocrats. Pain, humiliation, and violence is their game.

What Paxton is doing is what a contemporary theocracy-patriarchy does. It unleashes medical violence (presented as following "The Law") upon women and their doctors and any science that verifies a women's right to bodily autonomy, free from the strictures of the Bible and its fact-free fables and unseen God.

Make no mistake, the entire theocratic and anti-abortion movement is coming from the Bible thumpers and their idiotic unscientific beliefs. They are ignorant, they are arrogant, they are violent -- which makes them extremely dangerous. 

They will not stop with women. They will come after everyone who does not obey or conform to their little holy book of BS.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Per paxton, the judge and doctor don’t have the medical expertise to make a decision here, but he does ?

Yep, because he's Kenny Wayne Paxton.  And there's rumors that he's pumping a lot of resources into monitoring hospitals/etc. to prevent this, and I'm not going to be surprised if he has somebody following her around to make sure she doesn't get an abortion.  He's doubling-down on this.  He'll probably go after the judge as well.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, because he's Kenny Wayne Paxton.  And there's rumors that he's pumping a lot of resources into monitoring hospitals/etc. to prevent this, and I'm not going to be surprised if he has somebody following her around to make sure she doesn't get an abortion.  He's doubling-down on this.  He'll probably go after the judge as well.

state police monitoring citizens !!

Only a matter of time before all women must send menstruation data to the state  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

If we were a decent people there’d be an angry mob dragging Paxton out of his house right now and giving him the ol’ Gaddafi.

You know, I can hardly believe that this just wouldn’t cause outrage amongst all good people, but no one will notice and we inch a step closer to theocracy or something just as bad. I guess it’s true that the revolution won’t be televised. 

12 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

You know, I can hardly believe that this just wouldn’t cause outrage amongst all good people, but no one will notice and we inch a step closer to theocracy or something just as bad. I guess it’s true that the revolution won’t be televised. 

ill guess 55% of this board fully supports paxton

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

From the story.  No, we don't all seem to recognize that:

“Ms. Cox’s story is heartbreaking because all of us recognize that she and her child are equally valuable and loved by God,” Texas Right to Life Communications Director Kimberly Schwartz said. “If you feel compassion for this situation like us, it is because we all know that there are two lives at stake and that both are supremely important. The answer is not to end the child’s life because of the baby’s disability, but state law does anticipate the serious risk to the mother.”

• Rage+1 1