Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

As a back of the house person, it was a triple whammy: usually Sundays were when we had to pull the ranges and coolers for cleaning. Brunch in general is cook your leftover not quite rotten produce and proteins day, which also sucks.  And the tips were garbage and the clientele awful, which meant FOH was usually in a bad mood and disinclined to give up ass after shift. The only good thing about it was Monday closure. 

Just terrible all around. 

Reading Kitchen Confidential was outstanding to learn little tidbits like this, ‘merchandising’ leftovers on a buffet, or with mounds of sauce or other tricks to manage food cost.  Apparently reusing bread was what caused a stir, which I had assumed anyways.  

The blowhard Christian is a known (stereotypical) cheap/bad tipper.

What GRU I think is saying is that also in that same vein of "service/industry restaurant worker tribal knowledge", the black person is also a known (stereotypical) cheap/bad tipper.

Why can both things not be true? Why is it always a competition? In this instance they both suck at a single particular thing.

It's like that old Tom Hanks Black Jeopardy sketch on SNL. If only the cheap white christians knew how much they had in common with the average black person, they'd have a lot of fun together.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:36 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I worked at Wendy's for a couple of years in HS, so my experience doesn't even include waiting tables . . . but that Sunday crowd was a total beating.  One couple would come in at lunch, bring the newspaper, get all-you-can-eat salad bar plates, and STAY ALL AFTERNOON until they were hungry enough again to eat dinner, all for that one price.  You gotta be some kind of cheap to go that far to avoid the cost of dinner.

That's something that @RDCanecutter can get behind. 

On 5/25/2021 at 6:56 AM, Js1 said:

You can’t just accept the fake $20 bill that’s actually a church pamphlet and the praying for your Heathen soul without bitching! 

they ask why you aren’t at church, bc it’s Sunday. “But Karen, how would you be served if all the waitstaff went to church instead?”

Bro, they're saying if you don't take the opportunity to make it a free work day, then that's on your dumbass, or if you actually wanted to work saying I'm going to night church so I won't have to see your stingy ass blue hairs. 

On 5/25/2021 at 6:56 AM, Js1 said:

You can’t just accept the fake $20 bill that’s actually a church pamphlet and the praying for your Heathen soul without bitching! 

A fake twenty, you say... and there's kneeling involved?

Dang.... why does that sound so familiar?

Yeah Sunday brunchers are skipping church to go to brunch. It’s the after church crowd. Blaming brunching millennials is pure deflection by the bad tipping church crowd.  Millennials aren’t leaving religious pamphlets and saying they’ll pray for you in lieu of a tip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sunday funday with the post college/single millennial crowd bumps up the tip numbers to drown out church goers and Sunday scaries.

I’ve done some Gospel brunches that are fun (Maria’s Taco Express had a fun band for awhile, not sure if they still play) before heading to Rainey. Please sidetrack thread and recommend any good ones

Growing up, it was drive through KFC after 1130 service. So yea, no tips

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

That's something that @RDCanecutter can get behind. 

I've been on all sides of that story.

My only waiting job was at a place with, ah, a distinctly Old World culture, one that operated like a "family," shall we say. They were good to me, and I hold them in great respect. It's all about respect.

We had no traditional Church Crowd because they feared us. What we did get on Sunday were bitter day-drunks who wanted me to give them the Saturday specials that the owner, a fine gentleman protective of us all, had mentioned he did not want to offer on Sundays. So even if I had liked these customers (which I did not,) I was not going to give them something that went against my boss's wishes just because they were bitchy.

Their tip? Fuck their tip. Move em out fast and put a nice customer at that table.

My long-ago girlfriend had to deal with Church Crowds. Pizza Hut, 15 Youth Group kids pile in, maybe two order food and the rest get water and camp out there, occasionally asking for a new straw.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/worst-tippers-survey/

Survey methodology

This tipping study was conducted for CreditCards.com by GfK Custom Research North America on its OmniWeb online omnibus. The sample consists of 1,000 completed interviews, weighted to ensure accurate and reliable representation of the total population, 18 years and older and was conducted May 18-20, 2018. The margin of error for total respondents is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Young adults age 18-37 are much less keen on tipping than their older counterparts, according to a new survey by CreditCards.com. The survey shows that millennials’ attitudes and behavior on tipping tend to be stingier across the board:

Millennials are most likely to stiff servers.
Ten percent of Americans ages 18 to 37 say they routinely leave no tip. Nearly one in three leaves less than a 15 percent tip at restaurants. Older adults tip more.

Millennials most often select the lowest of preselected tip options.
When presented with a variety of suggested tipping options, as you might find at a food truck or coffee shop or after taking an Uber, about one in six millennials say they regularly choose the lowest option, and nearly one in five gives no tip – the highest figures of any age group.

Millennials would prefer higher prices and no tipping.
Philosophically, young adults are the most likely to say they would prefer to do away with tips and have the service charge included in restaurant food prices. About 27 percent of millennials say they favor that option to the existing system.

https://static.secure.website/wscfus/5261551/uploads/ChristianTippersJASPaccepted.pdf

A web based survey was used to assess the relationships of religious faith and frequency of church attendance with tipping under conditions of good and bad service.

Second, Christians leave an average tip of 17.3 percent when the service is good and this is well within the 15 to 20 percent restaurant tipping norm, so on average Christians are not bad tippers. Third, if you define poor tippers as those leaving less than a 15 percent tip for good service then only 13 percent of Christians are poor tippers.

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Second, Christians leave an average tip of 17.3 percent when the service is good and this is well within the 15 to 20 percent restaurant tipping norm, so on average Christians are not bad tippers. Third, if you define poor tippers as those leaving less than a 15 percent tip for good service then only 13 percent of Christians are poor tippers.

The problem with that is that is considering Christians, not "Christians."  The large group of people who believe in the gospels and have a faith profile of Christian?  They probably tip okay, overall.  The smaller - but SUPER loud and visible group of "Christians," who are the kind of people to make a big deal out of going out to Sunday dinner after church, visibly holding hands and praying at the table.....they are the problem.

The more "visibly" and "outwardly" "Christian" a customer was, the more likely they were to be utter dicks and/or be shitty tippers.  That's the correlation.  And again, this is based on literally every person I know who ever waited tables at a place that drew a Sunday after church crowd.  We didn't go into those jobs thinking that way, but we damned well did once we had a few months of experience under our belts.  Nobody told us to reach that conclusion -- experience did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Since tip talk isn't going away.

Last weekend I let my young lady friend fill out the tip for dinner at a hotel restaurant. We were not coming from church. That's all I got.

Be honest.  That was because you left your reading glasses up in the room wasn't it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The problem with that is that is considering Christians, not "Christians."  The large group of people who believe in the gospels and have a faith profile of Christian?  They probably tip okay, overall.  The smaller - but SUPER loud and visible group of "Christians," who are the kind of people to make a big deal out of going out to Sunday dinner after church, visibly holding hands and praying at the table.....they are the problem.

The more "visibly" and "outwardly" "Christian" a customer was, the more likely they were to be utter dicks and/or be shitty tippers.  That's the correlation.  And again, this is based on literally every person I know who ever waited tables at a place that drew a Sunday after church crowd.  We didn't go into those jobs thinking that way, but we damned well did once we had a few months of experience under our belts.  Nobody told us to reach that conclusion -- experience did.

I see.  You hide a misclassification bias behind air quotes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/worst-tippers-survey/

Survey methodology

This tipping study was conducted for CreditCards.com by GfK Custom Research North America on its OmniWeb online omnibus. The sample consists of 1,000 completed interviews, weighted to ensure accurate and reliable representation of the total population, 18 years and older and was conducted May 18-20, 2018. The margin of error for total respondents is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Young adults age 18-37 are much less keen on tipping than their older counterparts, according to a new survey by CreditCards.com. The survey shows that millennials’ attitudes and behavior on tipping tend to be stingier across the board:

Millennials are most likely to stiff servers.
Ten percent of Americans ages 18 to 37 say they routinely leave no tip. Nearly one in three leaves less than a 15 percent tip at restaurants. Older adults tip more.

Millennials most often select the lowest of preselected tip options.
When presented with a variety of suggested tipping options, as you might find at a food truck or coffee shop or after taking an Uber, about one in six millennials say they regularly choose the lowest option, and nearly one in five gives no tip – the highest figures of any age group.

Millennials would prefer higher prices and no tipping.
Philosophically, young adults are the most likely to say they would prefer to do away with tips and have the service charge included in restaurant food prices. About 27 percent of millennials say they favor that option to the existing system.

https://static.secure.website/wscfus/5261551/uploads/ChristianTippersJASPaccepted.pdf

A web based survey was used to assess the relationships of religious faith and frequency of church attendance with tipping under conditions of good and bad service.

You mean to tell me the generation with the least fucking money tips the least? No way! The millennial brunch crowd though isn't a perfect cross section of millennials, it's mostly professional millennials. You know, the ones that actually have money. And "Christians" are not the after church lunch crowd. The after church lunch crowd is a subset of Christians, mostly grumpy older folks, who like to yell at young waitstaff for the fact that the bartender didn't fix their double jack and water quite right. 

You're sure working hard to cherrypick data to argue against the actual experience of a lot of people. Go ask anyone you know with any experience waiting tables what they thought of the after church crowd. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

I see.  You hide a misclassification bias behind air quotes. 

Nope.  Not a misclassification at all.  A subgroup.  Which happens to be the subgroup that engages in the most incredibly conspicuous behavior so as to functionally control the image of what it is to be a Christian in this country.  How about this?  The Venn diagram of "treats servers like shit and tips for shit" and "this is a CHRISTIAN NATION!" is two almost completely overlapping circles.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How about this?  The Venn diagram of "treats servers like shit and tips for shit" and "this is a CHRISTIAN NATION!" is two almost completely overlapping circles.

Sounds like a pretty stupid hypothesis and one that should be fairly easily to reject with even some cursory consideration of the socioeconomic and demographic factors associated with tipping practices. 

Edited by Anastasis

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You mean to tell me the generation with the least fucking money tips the least?

I do tend to agree that its reasonable that socio-economic considerations would seem to be among the strongest correlates of tipping behaviors, more so than religious affiliation. Poors gonna poor.

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sounds like a pretty stupid hypothesis and one that should be fairly easily to reject with even some cursory consideration of the socioeconomic and demographic factors associated with tipping practices. 

It's not a hypothesis. Half of my family are those kind of people and they're the fucking worst at family outings. I usually add a bunch to my tip and and "I'm sorry for my family" on the receipt. I haven't attended church unless for a funeral or wedding in over 20 years. They go every week.

also, you should probably look into the origins of tipping. There's a reason other countries don't engage in the practice anymore.

I'll save you the googs: https://time.com/5404475/history-tipping-american-restaurants-civil-war/

• Like 1

The church crowd is the worst crowd cause they are usually on fixed income/SS due to age. It’s understandable. They’ll usually whisper something to their other old friend, but we all know they wish they COULD tip more. I never held it against them. Get them out quick.

Lesbians are battling with the wage gap which makes them shitty tippers. Usually complicated shit and not a reach and crack for a beer.

college kids are using parents money (works both ways good and bad). Identify clothes and friends, you will know who tips most.

Millennials in a big city are staring at student loan debt and housing costs which is why they should be drinking on a back porch permanently and why they love south Austin bars. Except they don’t save up and usually tip well.

Millennials in the service industry dont fuck around and spread it around well.

Gen X is throwing all their coins and usually a dollar bill in the vase for some reason and asking their younger friends what Venmo is.

If there is any group that are big on tips it’s the gays. No kids, no spouses, they love the tip.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The church crowd is the worst crowd cause they are usually on fixed income/SS due to age. It’s understandable. They’ll usually whisper something to their other old friend, but we all know they wish they COULD tip more. I never held it against them. Get them out quick.

Lesbians are battling with the wage gap which makes them shitty tippers. Usually complicated shit and not a reach and crack for a beer.

college kids are using parents money (works both ways good and bad). Identify clothes and friends, you will know who tips most.

Millennials in a big city are staring at student loan debt and housing costs which is why they should be drinking on a back porch permanently and why they love south Austin bars. Except they don’t save up and usually tip well.

Millennials in the service industry dont fuck around and spread it around well.

Gen X is throwing all their coins and usually a dollar bill in the vase for some reason and asking their younger friends what Venmo is.

If there is any group that are big I. Tips it’s the gays. No kids, no spouses, they love the tip.

lol I know which generation you are because you have no clue about gen x or after

I worked as a lifeguard in San Antonio in high school.  I used to put John Hagy in timeout for being a little shit.

We had no restaurant or snack bar and thus no tips but I think there were a couple of vending machines. 

When I was in college I worked at USAA, and not in the cafeteria, and thus there were no tips.

I will not tip for dawdling service in San Antonio drinking establishments.

• Hook 'Em 1

LMAO.  @Anastasis going out of his way, as usual, to contradict any assertion that doesn't fit his world view.

I was 100% truthful in my post.  I worked at a fast food joint.  The WORST customers were the Sunday lunch customers.  Make of that what you will.  No tip, no table service.  Just the ugliest, worst customers.   Do you doubt me?

• Like 2

It was a week into the pandemic lockdowns, back when the lockdowns were hard and real.  Went to an Italian place who was only doing takeout.  Only people there was the manager and two cooks.  Tipped them all $20/each. 

You can tell a lot about a person in how they treat people they don’t have to be nice to and wait staff is the best example.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Went down to the Fitzhugh area in Dallas today and got grilled cheese in a millennial coffee shop for lunch.  Damn, I think there is much pressure on millennial women.  They all looked very handsome in workout pants and workout tops and hair pulled back. 

If you aren't crushing it as a millennial, you are s.o.l....

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  @Anastasis going out of his way, as usual, to contradict any assertion that doesn't fit his world view.

I don't think that I have really articulated much in terms of world view other than people should treat folks in the service industry with respect and tip well. And maybe a suggestion that we might avoid broad brush characterizations that are particularly subject to projection of one's own bias.

Edited by Anastasis

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol I know which generation you are because you have no clue about gen x or after

The group of 5 single Baby boomer men at bars are weird. “Yea the Coors light really is $4, buddy.” My thoughts on Gen X over the years are always correct. They’re a bunch of flailing, wandering morons who can’t use the internet even though they created it.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Or....you could listen to the people in the industry who actually have the experience to draw upon (note that the sole measure of "shitty table" is not just tipping - the absolute meanest, cruelest, most demeaning tables I ever had also made a show of big group prayers and shit.  I am FAR from alone in that experience).

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that I have really articulated much in terms of world view other than people should treat folks in the service industry with respect and tip well. And maybe a suggestion that we might avoid broad brush characterizations that are particularly subject to projection of one's own bias.

Nothing I have said should give you the impression that I treated any single customer with anything but the utmost of respect, because . . . crazy theory here, retail world . . . "the customer is always right".

(OK, we did serve the biggest jackass in our HS a well under-cooked burger once.  Sue me.)

29 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Best Tippers:   Servers (current or former)

I tip 33 percent. If the service is not up to par and the meal doesn’t go well due to that I will still tip 25 percent because I take into consideration what that server has had to deal with that day from managers, guests and co-workers. They might also have family issues going on that are impacting them. The 25 percent tips are rare though. Usually meals are smooth for me here and the server will get 33 percent, usually in cash as that is the preferred way to leave a tip. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I didn't CREATE the bias.  My EXPERIENCE WAITING TABLES created it.  I was actually shocked and stunned at the time.

And again, I am far from alone.  Listen to the people who actually worked in the industry.  We didn't show up for work thinking that outward, conspicuous "Christians" were bad tables to get.  Experience showed us that.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Or....you could listen to the people in the industry who actually have the experience to draw upon (note that the sole measure of "shitty table" is not just tipping - the absolute meanest, cruelest, most demeaning tables I ever had also made a show of big group prayers and shit.  I am FAR from alone in that experience).

I don't think that treating people in the service industry like shit is largely limited to the "this is a CHRISTIAN NATION" crowd, but if that is what your experience leads you to believe, I am sure that it is right.