Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

The President is a few blocks from me at Greenwood to commemorate 100 years since the Tulsa Race Massacre. I'm legitimately hoping one of the crackpots here doesn't try to take a shot at him. We can't take another scar on our city and the hatred from so many around here is disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The President is a few blocks from me at Greenwood to commemorate 100 years since the Tulsa Race Massacre. I'm legitimately hoping one of the crackpots here doesn't try to take a shot at him. We can't take another scar on our city and the hatred from so many around here is disgusting.

This is horrible to say, but VP Harris is likely a good insurance against that kind of thing happening 

My current favorite thing is that notoriously bullshit Rasmussen has Biden at 53-45. So he’s probably at like 55-40 or something in real life.  Can’t even fudge their numbers enough 

I support the president’s push to pass infrastructure legislation. But unless he, Manchin and Sinema get serious about protecting voting rights, none of what Democrats are trying to do will matter.

This. It’s so glaringly obvious and incredibly frustrating.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What point are you trying to make?

I applaud this poster for seeing the point the systemic racism gives unfair advantages to white entrepreneurs over black entrepreneurs. 

• Haha 1

BIDEN: "...young black entrepreneurs are just as capable of succeeding given the chance as white entrepreneurs are, but they don't have lawyers, they don't have accountants..."

IDK, it seems like his comments were a bit condescending to the Black business owners who have somehow managed to find legal counsel and accountants to help them run their businesses without the help of the the government.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

BIDEN: "...young black entrepreneurs are just as capable of succeeding given the chance as white entrepreneurs are, but they don't have lawyers, they don't have accountants..."

IDK, it seems like his comments were a bit condescending to the Black business owners who have somehow managed to find legal counsel and accountants to help them run their businesses without the help of the the government.  

JenniferLawrenceokay.gif 

13 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

IDK, maybe look at more than just a little snippet that Conservative Gotcha Twitter pulled out of a speech. 30 seconds of a long speech that has little context. But yeah, the guy discussing systemic racism that keeps black entrepreneurs from having the same access to capital as whites is the real racist based on 30 seconds.  And on a day where he's commemorating one of the more terrible aspects of our racial history where a group of whites destroyed an entirely self-sufficient black area of Tulsa that had generational effects on the black people who lived there. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Did you vote last election? If so, for who? Who would you vote for in 2024 to do better than Biden, especially on addressing current race relations in this country? 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That is one way to look at it, the other way, and no, this is not a hypothetical...but the other way would be that because of things like the Tulsa Massacre (and a hundred like it), redlining, deed restrictions, loan restrictions, Jim Crow laws not allowing blacks to attend top law schools or be employed at top accounting firms, that maybe....just fucking maybe...many black people had trouble thriving in those conditions. 

but yeah, despite that overwhelming heel of oppression, some black business owners still thrived. 

“Michael Jordan can get a loan, so what’s the bid deal”

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Did you vote last election? If so, for who? Who would you vote for in 2024 to do better than Biden, especially on addressing current race relations in this country? 

I think that we'd be way better off without the efforts of the professional race agitators.  This country is far more just and nowhere near where it was 100 years ago.  The Tulsa riot was a tragedy, but it has almost nothing to do with where we are today in terms of race relations.  Some folks seem to want to play that angle for political gain.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The Tulsa riot was a tragedy, but it has almost nothing to do with where we are today in terms of race relations.  Some folks seem to want to play that angle for political gain.

Tell that to the people in Tulsa and elsewhere who have no accounting for what happened to their family and never received justice for the murder of their family and ancestors. You think that didn't have generational effects, specifically wealth that could've been passed down or opportunities that were destroyed when "Black Wall Street" was burned down by a mob and all the residents were removed from land they owned. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4

I think that we'd be way better off without the efforts of the professional race agitators.  This country is far more just and nowhere near where it was 100 years ago.  The Tulsa riot was a tragedy, but it has almost nothing to do with where we are today in terms of race relations.  Some folks seem to want to play that angle for political gain.

You don’t give a shit what happened in Tulsa 100 years ago. Just go ahead and admit it.

That's where Biden brought it.  Explained that their homes were burned down and banks weren't lending them money to rebuild.  As a result, they were not able to pass down home equity to their heirs.

Then we built a giant freeway through the neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's where Biden brought it.  Explained that their homes were burned down and banks weren't lending them money to rebuild.  As a result, they were not able to pass down home equity to their heirs.

Yeah but he said it in a condescending tone in the 30 second snippet so therefore he's totes racist. Never mind that 100 year event that might've been racist but come on, that was 100 years ago. Biden's the real racist. WHY CAN'T BLACK PEOPLE JUST SEE EVERYTHING IS BETTER NOW?

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Well I suppose that was kinda of a shitty thing to do, but...

14 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This country is far more just and nowhere near where it was 100 years ago. 

There are plenty of reports out there that call your post into question. From home evaluations to mortgage application acceptance rates. I’d link them, but the onus, I believe, is on you to provide facts that back your claim.

I will accept that’s the way you want things to be. I’d like to think most everyone wants that. I’m open to seeing what makes you think it’s true.

• Hook 'Em 1

Because old white aggy is the arbiter of how young black feel about this statement lol

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thank you for (not) answering honestly. I'll let everyone else take it from here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Where's the lie in what he said? Perhaps it seems condescending to you is that the narrative (aka the truth) doesn't fit your world view and makes you acknowledge privilege you hadn't considered. I'd be willing to bet POC's heard and saw a white president acknowledge what they have always known as truth. That's not insignificant. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Neither of us were there, but lots of historical references called it a "riot" -- I'm fine with massacre.  It was a tragic event.

They did call it a riot. It was an effective way to push blame onto the residents of the charred 35 block area of Greenwood that had its residents shot, burned beyond recognition, rounded up and placed in camps after martial law was declared, and denied any insurance claims being paid out. One of the two (white) newspapers of the time was rather *tabloidy and ran some rather inflammatory stuff when the young black man was jailed.

The President's recognition and naming it with the more recent term 'massacre' is apt. I watched most of his speech. Context is important because otherwise, you're going to get played.  Aren't you smarter than that?

*The Tulsa Tribune grew more respectable over time and prior to dissolving had a decent investigative team. It's never been shown whether rumor or fact that the paper's owners in later years had specific copies destroyed. The microfilm at the Tulsa City County Library went missing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They did call it a riot. It was an effective way to push blame onto the residents of the charred 35 block area of Greenwood that had its residents shot, burned beyond recognition, rounded up and placed in camps after martial law was declared, and denied any insurance claims being paid out. One of the two (white) newspapers of the time was rather *tabloidy and ran some rather inflammatory stuff when the young black man was jailed.

The President's recognition and naming it with the more recent term 'massacre' is apt. I watched most of his speech. Context is important because otherwise, you're going to get played.  Aren't you smarter than that?

*The Tulsa Tribune grew more respectable over time and prior to dissolving had a decent investigative team. It's never been shown whether rumor or fact that the paper's owners in later years had specific copies destroyed. The microfilm at the Tulsa City County Library went missing.

I first learned of this tragic event from some of my Tulsa lawyer clients in the mid 1990's.  Horrible and they were all very embarrassed that it had been hidden from view during their lives.  Mobs do bad things.  The results are inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I first learned of this tragic event from some of my Tulsa lawyer clients in the mid 1990's.  Horrible and they were all very embarrassed that it had been hidden from view during their lives.  Mobs do bad things.  The results are inexcusable.

Definitely; but as the President mentioned today, throwing a blanket over it didn't extinguish the blaze, it simply smoldered for decades. It was all around in the way the city conducted its business, where our family lived and the schools they attended, how the city was governed and developed over the last century.

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This country is far more just and nowhere near where it was 100 years ago.  The Tulsa riot was a tragedy, but it has almost nothing to do with where we are today in terms of race relations.  Some folks seem to want to play that angle for political gain.

I know 100 years seems like a long time, but it's not as much as you think - putting aside the fact that there are people still live today who were around back then, that's only 3-4 generations back.  That's your grandparents' or great-grandparents' era.  100 years ago, there were policies put in place after the Civil War, that were still directly impacting people up through the 1960s (which means it's impacted plenty of people still alive today).  

While we like to talk about America in mythological terms, and play up this image that everybody is pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and didn't need any help to succeed in life, the reality is that most of us are directly impacted by what our grandparents (and even great-grandparents to an extent) accomplished (or didn't accomplish).

For every fucking Armenian with the last name of Cardassian or Kardashian or whatever, whose grandparents got out of Turkey ahead of the genocide, and who were able to later on be fathered by a murderer or an Olympic champion and went on to find massive success with letting cameras follow them around (or every fucking Cardassian who escaped the areas occupied by the Dominion for that matter), there's millions more that didn't, and they suffered for generations.  That shit is still being fought about here and there.

I have done a lot of genealogy research over the last 20 years, both for my own family members and for others (including quite a few who got into it during covid).  I have come across plenty of instances where a tragedy or other serious event had repercussions that rippled through successive generations.  These weren't hypotheticals - you could see through various records and newspaper articles and letters where families were improving their lot from generation to generation, and then something bad happens, and everything goes off the rails for multiple generations after that.  I saw it with my family and the Trail of Tears and later on the Civil War, I saw it with plenty of others during various wars, or things like the Dust Bowl/Great Depression, or maybe something happens to a family patriarch and the family's finances are gutted, and it's not easily recovered from.  

Many of the survivors/succeeding generation are left with a very bitter outlook on life, because these stories are being told to them by the people who lived through it.

You trace a family that seems to be on an upward trajectory, and if you could hit the pause button right before a tragic or devastating event, you'd look at them and say "they are going to send their kids to good schools or college, they are going to be able to expand their business or increase their holdings, they can pass some money down to their grandkids" and so on.  Then shit hits the fan and a price is paid for a few generations (or more). It doesn't help that those following generations all realize what their family had, and what was taken from them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I appreciate the reasoned responses to this topic.  Human history is brutal.  My family was privileged by receiving some of the original Texas land grants.  But we also lost land due to the havoc and corruption of Reconstruction in East Texas.  But that was more than 100 years ago.  We got over it.  My grandfather, with an 8th grade education and the wages that inured to a full-time Texas Company (now known as Texaco) refinery worker in Port Arthur, ended up buying in 1935 around 200 acres of land that our family had previously owned, for about $5 per acre.  No mineral rights, all the timber had been stripped, but he owned it.  Our family owns it now.  Time and timber growth can heal a lot of wounds.

I appreciate the reasoned responses to this topic.  Human history is brutal.  My family was privileged by receiving some of the original Texas land grants.  But we also lost land due to the havoc and corruption of Reconstruction in East Texas.  But that was more than 100 years ago.  We got over it.  My grandfather, with an 8th grade education and the wages that inured to a full-time Texas Company (now known as Texaco) refinery worker in Port Arthur, ended up buying in 1935 around 200 acres of land that our family had previously owned, for about $5 per acre.  No mineral rights, all the timber had been stripped, but he owned it.  Our family owns it now.  Time and timber growth can heal a lot of wounds.

Historically in Texas, the odds were way better for such “healing” if the wounded person was white instead of black.

Black people were still barred, by enforceable restriction, from buying a home in my old central Austin neighborhood until just over 50 years ago. The restriction was still in our closing docs.

Also, you literally used the term “agitators.” For fuck’s sake, you’re fuckig QUOTING the racist whites in the 50s-70s.

45 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I would be more than willing to bet that the ancestors who lost the land, and their kids, didn't get over it as easily as you make it sound.

And in your instance, they weren't driven out of East Texas in fear for their lives as those folks in Tulsa and elsewhere were, allowing an eventual descendant (your grandfather) to end up with a refinery job at the right time, so that he could reclaim some of that family history.  Nobody deliberately destroyed that land with a freeway or restrictive rezoning a few generations later to keep your grandfather from coming back and purchasing it later on either.

Step back and ask yourself would things have been different for say the grandkids of your ancestors who lost that land, if they had been able to keep the land, the mineral rights, the timber, etc.  Does your grandfather then enter the workforce with an 8th grade education, or does he enter it with a 12th grade education, or a couple of years of some small college, or even perhaps having gone to UT or aggy or whatever?

I know it may not seem like a lot, but a family's fortunes can change drastically with these kinds of things - what happens if a family starts putting out college grads a few generations earlier than they might have otherwise done if they didn't have a financial base of sorts?

Somebody in the early 1900s could easily have hundreds of descendants living today.  Not uncommon at all.  Say it's your great-great-grandparents, of which you have 8 sets, 16 individuals (unless you're from Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Alabama).  If those g-g-grandparents were able to build successful businesses and pass some of that down, that could mean hundreds of people living today, whose grandparents could have benefited greatly with a major financial head start.

Obviously we can't correct the sins of our forefathers (but if they want to try financially, I do have a couple of DNA tests showing my African and Native American ancestry, even if it's single digits!), but we should step back and ask if we are still doing shit now that is vindictive even it's subtle, that is perhaps targeting the same groups that were being harmed 100 years ago (minus the fucking bog jumpers).

• Hook 'Em 3

Just looking at Tulsa - if those people had been left alone, if they had not have their neighborhoods and livelihoods literally burned to the ground, and then have a stake driven through the heart of it with zoning and road construction, that could be thousands, even tens of thousands, of living people whose  grandparents and great-grandparents would have had a helluva better start than they did, whether that's education or an financial inheritance or a family business passed down.

I'm sure somebody out there has crunched the numbers on how many businesses were destroyed, how many individuals left with their families to start all over somewhere else, etc. and you could make some educated guesses as to how many thousands of people who would have had a better familial and financial base to start life from.  It would be substantial.  And that's not getting into the secondary benefits of there being this large and successful African-American area of a major city back then.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

If the shoe fits...  Insert name here:

In what way is what Biden said agitation? It’s a fucking fact that black people are systematically denied the same sort of support systems that white people are. Your original point was 100% bullshit and now you’re backtracking trying to seem level when I’m fact you’re throwing out the same bullshit that racists use to justify their support for other racists. “See Biden is racist too”

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Hey black people: this white guy's family got over it. You should to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just looking at Tulsa - if those people had been left alone, if they had not have their neighborhoods and livelihoods literally burned to the ground, and then have a stake driven through the heart of it with zoning and road construction, that could be thousands, even tens of thousands, of living people whose  grandparents and great-grandparents would have had a helluva better start than they did, whether that's education or an financial inheritance or a family business passed down.

I'm sure somebody out there has crunched the numbers on how many businesses were destroyed, how many individuals left with their families to start all over somewhere else, etc. and you could make some educated guesses as to how many thousands of people who would have had a better familial and financial base to start life from.  It would be substantial.  And that's not getting into the secondary benefits of there being this large and successful African-American area of a major city back then.  

Excellent article about crunching the numbers.