Solarwinds Sunburst attack discussion thread

Parliament

It's customary to beef up cybersecurity during transitions of power, right?  I see no reason for alarm.  All is well, remain calm.  

I'm not one for the TV trends, but I did finally get into "Mr. Robot" during the last two seasons.  I didn't get any of the hacking shit, but I enjoyed the political and corporate intrigue and espionage.  I found myself wanting a fifth season, but I was late to the party and they had already tied it all up with a pretty bow.  And alas, the fifth season is playing out in real time, in my real country, with my children's futures on the line.  

Is this real life, Donald?  

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Thread title is wrong. They didn't try, they did.

And they may have used Microsoft Office 365

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-amazon-com-exclsuive/exclusive-u-s-treasury-breached-by-hackers-backed-by-foreign-government-sources-idUSKBN28N0PG

“This is a much bigger story than one single agency,” said one of the people familiar with the matter. “This is a huge cyber espionage campaign targeting the U.S. government and its interests.”

Hackers broke into the NTIA’s office software, Microsoft’s Office 365. Staff emails at the agency were monitored by the hackers for months, sources said.

A Microsoft spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Neither did a spokesman for the Treasury Department.

The hackers are “highly sophisticated” and have been able to trick the Microsoft platform’s authentication controls, according to a person familiar with the incident, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to speak to the press.

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Agreed on the perception, but let's be real.  If the SVR determines they want to go after you, that's as close to a bottomless well of funding and skill as exists on this planet.  They'll figure it out.  Unlike physical warfare, you are always at a disadvantage on the defensive.  

Correct, nothing is impenetrable. The concern is that it started potentially in March and wasn’t caught until now. The autopsy on this is going to be interesting. I’ve read some people are pointing at supply side intervention.  I though all Solarwinds stuff was software based, which means someone injected exploit code into their product. Not a good look for a company based around network support to give a state actor a back door into gov’t networks. 

Colluding with foreign governments to attempt to compromise the security of the United States from within?  And you don't think they can bounce back from that and just stay in business?  Pfft.  Do you even 2020, bro?  You can bounce back from that and still run a helluva lot more than just a mid-size software company.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Colluding with foreign governments to attempt to compromise the security of the United States from within?  And you don't think they can bounce back from that and just stay in business?  Pfft.  Do you even 2020, bro?  You can bounce back from that and still run a helluva lot more than just a mid-size software company.  

Its a large leap from having someone compromised within an org installing malware to full on collusion.  Insider threats are always a problem.  That's what your internal processes are supposed to help you find and/or prevent.  Lots of people are going to be called on the carpet to explain how the exploit could be injected and not caught through their internal QA processes.  If it was a compromised appliance they could at least point the finger at a sub and/or shipper as a way they injected malware.  With it being software, they in theory own that entire chain, so Solarwinds has to eat the entire shit sandwich.  

Solarwinds will be fine long term.  They are a behemoth in the network admin world, but they could have fucked themselves out of gov't contracts for the foreseeable future.  

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-fireeye-confirm-solarwinds-supply-chain-attack/

Using Solarwinds network monitoring & management platform to deploy malware. I guess no platform is impenetrable, but I would hate to be a sales guy pushing Solarwinds tools for the near future. 

My old boss is their head enterprise sales leader.  I was slightly offended he didn't try to hire me, but not anymore.

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Being an austin-based company, I know a few people that work for SolarWinds. Probably not going to be a good week for them (or their stock). 

Compromising their opsec?

How many of you aggys here were CCP all along?

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-fireeye-confirm-solarwinds-supply-chain-attack/

Using Solarwinds network monitoring & management platform to deploy malware. I guess no platform is impenetrable, but I would hate to be a sales guy pushing Solarwinds tools for the near future. 

It is their fiscal year end right now as well (Dec 31st), if I was selling vs them right now I would be "FUD"-ing the ever loving shit out of them. They will be fine long term I am sure, as this kind of thing happens but I could absolutely see this killing some near term deals at a very bad time for them in terms of EOY.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

It is their fiscal year end right now as well (Dec 31st), if I was selling vs them right now I would be "FUD"-ing the ever loving shit out of them. They will be fine long term I am sure, as this kind of thing happens but I could absolutely see this killing some near term deals at a very bad time for them in terms of EOY.

That's what I was thinking. A lot of big deals close in the next few weeks, and it would be a tough call dialing for those PO's right now. Until the full scope of their ineptitude (if any) is known, I would be hesitant to pull the trigger if I was a CIO type. Brutal timing if you are carrying a bag.

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

Don't worry. The president is on it. 

I'm sure Mnuchin woke up this morning looking to the White House and the DoD and CyberCommand for some direction on how to deal with this.  Instead, the Secretary has to wake up to Charles Nagy and Jim Thome chiming in on national priorities this week.  Treasury is kind of an important department.  Some say it ranks right up there with State and Defense, particularly it's exactly those three that are the top ranking cabinet positions in terms of the 25th Amendment to Article II.  It's not like HUD got hacked.  This is kinda important.  

But I know a lot of you remember 1902 when the franchise was changed from the Cleveland Bronchos (true story).  It still stings and a lot of Americans can't move on past that until we stop cancel culture.  I think if we can come to terms with this egregious assault on our great American tradition and first pay homage to the Bronchos before any discussion of the Indians moniker proceeds....then and ONLY THEN...can we see if hacking the "vault" of the world's largest economy and holder of reserve currency is at all dangerous.  Because if not, I'll tell you what's dangerous......a disgruntled Cory Snyder or Julio Franco roaming the countryside, armed to the teeth, feeling like their voice wasn't heard in 2020.  What then, huh?!?  America really is going Tribal, isn't it?  Too soon? 

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right now, you'd be sending out a resume mentioning that you worked for "Solar + Wind", a renewable energy company.

Careful, we know the sun can cause SKIN CANCER and that renewable energy can cause WIND CANCER  

God only knows what kind of diseases a company called Solarwinds is going to cause in 2021.  Please don't tell me they don't handle software security for windmills, turbines, or aviaries.  

And VirginiaLonghorn---nice CR attempt.  You know this hack happened this week, on our watch, while our Cyber Defense programs have been recently gutted, right?  

Also---just wanted to add that while our electoral college is still done by in-person paper voting and the six-fold duplicates are sent to various parts of our government........there is still a digital record of all of it.  And though largely symbolic, enough doubt can still be cast on the validity of said EC voting processes.  Well guess that D.C. dipshits?  The CISA entity that is supposed to get between foreign actors and Treasury, the same CISA gutted just recently with removal of key heads of the organization...they also help preserve the integrity of the symbolic digital transfer of EC voting information between now and January.  Again, it's a small matter, but it's symbolically powerful.  You think it's a fucking coincidence that foreign actors proved they could get the Treasury as the EC voters were traveling to their state capitols to cast the actual and official vote for POTUS/VPOTUS?  Is there anything some of y'all can't fuck up?  It's impossible we're this vulnerable and stupid.  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Russians trying to get in and make a score before Biden gives China the keys to the place on Jan 20.

i sweatergod you mofos flip your boogeyman faster than a 2 dollar whore. 

solarwinds? i mean come on. thats a dumb name and they deserve everything coming to them. matter a fact Im going to make them my boogeyman. but just for today. 

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

NASA, Pentagon, etc. 

amd local media picking up on it

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-based-solarwinds-at-center-of-massive-us-government-hack/

I don’t even know how a company recovers from that.

I’ve sued them before. They are a shitty, disorganized and poorly run company. This doesn’t surprise me at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve sued them before. They are a shitty, disorganized and poorly run company. This doesn’t surprise me at all. 

Wow. Would love to hear more

Lots of people use them and this is just a bad fuckup. Sucks for everyone

I’m not with them just use their shit and dealing with it

Funny CEO dumped, that’ll trigger some lawsuits. 
He was one of the “Covid’s just a cold, lazy people using it to WFH” guys as well and to walk back a really bad corporate wide email about it. 
Crazy - 45% of their revenues are tied up in the hacked product. I would not want to work there right now. 

• immamac changed the title to Solarwinds Sunburst attack discussion thread