Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

40 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I can see DL, TE and LB being debatable.

I don't think they have better wide receivers especially in Jimbo's system. Rogers, Ausbon and Davis have all been inconsistent. I bet Duvernay has more receiving yards than any of their WRs this season. Even last year it was close between Duvernay and Davis. 

Rogers and Ausbon are talented but they haven't even had a decent season yet. 

If you're just boxscore scouting, sure. But they rotate their receivers a lot, which makes the stats less impressive. Duvernay's stats are largely from playing almost every snap for a team that played exclusively close games. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not counting a punter and a kick returner, aggy has 1 player on the 2019 preseason SEC team. A second team DL. That's fucking insane. God damn Vandy has 3 guys on the 2nd team. 

And they can't even cry BOMC about something like that.  Their own brethren, so sad

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

QB-Texas

RB-Texas

WR-Texas

OL-Texas

TE-Push. Neither has anybody that's proven.

DL-Texas. Madubuike is a stud but I wouldn't take any of their other DL. This is probably the one aggys disagree with most because they think lard-ass Bobby Brown is going to be an All-American. 

LB-Who knows? Both are a weakness/lack depth.

DB-Texas

FG Kicker-Texas

Punter-A&M

i have achieved orgasm. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. Did he just compare Haynes King to Deshaun Watson? wow. Just wow.

Live look at Liucci:

backpedaling-gif-1.gif

It’s hilarious they act as if the SEC West is still tough. There’s two good teams in that division: LSU and Bama. Every other SEC West game is extremely winnable (for a good team, at least). LSU is coaches by a moron and once Amanda leaves, LDU will be in trouble. That division isn’t any tougher than many of other P5 conferences/divisions across the country, and you get 3-4 OOC cupcakes while playing in it, to boot. 

aggy’s 2020 schedule is one of the easiest in the entire country for a P5 team.

You had me until you said that their schedule this year that includes Bama, Georgia, Clemson, and LSU is easy. It is easy outside of those four games, but that is murderers row and they could very easily lose another game from being beat up. If you want to see something truly funny, look at their 2020 schedule. What a laughingstock. 

Abilene Christian

North Texas

Colorado

Arkansas

Fresno State

Bama

Auburn

MSU

South Carolina

LSU

Ole Miss

Vandy

Now THAT's how you SEC.

Just now, Vertigo said:

You had me until you said that their schedule this year that includes Bama, Georgia, Clemson, and LSU is easy. It is easy outside of those four games, but that is murderers row and they could very easily lose another game from being beat up. If you want to see something truly funny, look at their 2020 schedule. What a laughingstock. 

Abilene Christian

North Texas

Colorado

Arkansas

Fresno State

Bama

Auburn

MSU

South Carolina

LSU

Ole Miss

Vandy

Now THAT's how you SEC.

That's the schedule that keeps Jimbo around another year.

Patiently waiting on Bizzle’s breakdown since he believes the other posters were so far off that it was worth masturbating over. I do think Rogers is pretty damn good, and saw him make several freak catches from Mond that should’ve sailed high, but I only caught a couple games so they may have been the exception. So I can at least see reason for optimism for him from aggy, but most of the other positions... I’m not seeing it

Just now, texifornia said:

Don't just post a paywalled link without at least a quick synopsis...

Overrated:

No. 11 Texas A&M. I’ll assume this is a sign of the vast respect Jimbo Fisher’s colleagues have for him. But his colleagues don’t have to face the preason No. 1 (Clemson), No. 2 (Alabama), No. 3 (Georgia) and No. 6 (LSU) teams. Not to mention there are still legit questions about QB Kellen Mond’s consistency, and the defense is replacing its top six tacklers from a year ago.

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Abilene Christian

North Texas

Colorado

Arkansas

Fresno State

Bama

Auburn

MSU

South Carolina

LSU

Ole Miss

Vandy

Now THAT's how you SEC.

You're not so good at reading, are ya? I said the SEC West is not tough (which was the assertion made in the Texags post) and that their 2020 schedule is one of the easiest in the nation.  I never said their 2019 schedule is easy. Try to keep up.

Edited by Burt Macklin

11 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

Patiently waiting on Bizzle’s breakdown since he believes the other posters were so far off that it was worth masturbating over. I do think Rogers is pretty damn good, and saw him make several freak catches from Mond that should’ve sailed high, but I only caught a couple games so they may have been the exception. So I can at least see reason for optimism for him from aggy, but most of the other positions... I’m not seeing it

comparing head to head seems like a fools errand on here, but here are positions i would for sure make a trade today:

qb, corner, safety

positions i could possibly talked into it: linebacker, running back

positions i'm not trading: wide receiver, oline, dline, tight end

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Abilene Christian

North Texas

Colorado

Arkansas

Fresno State

Bama

Auburn

MSU

South Carolina

LSU

Ole Miss

Vandy

Now THAT's how you SEC.

Funny part.  Those six highlighted above - depending upon how they are playing, could sweep the ags.  Six straight losses sandwiched between white bread.  What a glorious run that would be!  Oh, and Arkansas is due.  Ags have squeaked past them YOY.  Pigs are due.

1 minute ago, bizzle said:

comparing head to head seems like a fools errand on here, but here are positions i would for sure make a trade today:

qb, corner, safety

Bless your heart 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bizzle said:

qb, corner, safety

tumblr_m8en0xIgz91ro2d43.gif 

• Like 1

qb, corner, safety

The QB, corner, & safety make me think you are at least somewhat reasonable.  I can kind of see why someone who doesn't follow Texas might have doubts about our lines and tight end, but I am pretty surprised that you put WR on that last row.   Who does A&M have there besides Rogers?  Texas is pretty loaded at WR...

7 minutes ago, bizzle said:

qb, corner, safety

Who's your starting 5 on the OL? Given that ours is tipped to potentially be the best in our conference (it's not a world-beating set, to be fair) that's a big move.

Cosmi-Braun-Shackelford-Angilau-Kerstetter/Okafor really doesn't suck and we've got decent backups at every spot.

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Don't just post a paywalled link without at least a quick synopsis...

Machinator covered the aggy related material in the article. The headline was:

Mandel: Overrated and underrated teams in the preseason Coaches Poll

13 minutes ago, bizzle said:

qb, corner, safety

Ingram and Whittington are better than anyone you have on campus.  CJ, Duv, Moore, Smith, Epps, Eagles is 100% better WR unit that Ausbon and a group of JAGs that include Rogers.  O-line? lmao... I'm not sure anyone except aggy would argue this one.  What do we have 3 OL that are award watch list members?  Who is on the expected aggy OL?  I can see if you wanted to keep FR Max Wright with his 2 broken knees and a FR Leal along with Mandibuke and 400 lb slow as Bobby Brown.  TE and punter, sure.  I think Cupp is legit.  

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Ingram and Whittington are better than anyone you have on campus.  CJ, Duv, Moore, Smith, Epps, Eagles is 100% better WR unit that Ausbon and a group of JAGs that include Rogers.  O-line? lmao... I'm not sure anyone except aggy would argue this one.  What do we have 3 OL that are award watch list members?  Who is on the expected aggy OL?  I can see if you wanted to keep FR Max Wright with his 2 broken knees and a FR Leal along with Mandibuke and 400 lb slow as Bobby Brown.  TE and punter, sure.  I think Cupp is legit.  

this is such a good message board post.

and to those asking legitimately about the wr and oline, i think quartney davis is about to have a huge year, and he's 12 more months beyond his acl. ausbon is overrated but a chain mover - if rogers can play consistently i like our group, if not, the nod probably goes to texas. 

at oline, i think we're going to be better than people think. carson green has a chance to play his way into the draft, mccollum is going to surprise people at center, and dan moore quietly had a great 2nd half of the year. we'll be good at one guard, the question is if we get the production we need at the other guard spot to get us where we need to be. 

but as i said above, comparing units is tough, especially when we're asking them to do pretty damn different things between the schemes. 

and to those asking legitimately about the wr and oline, i think quartney davis is about to have a huge year, and he's 12 more months beyond his acl. ausbon is overrated but a chain mover - if rogers can play consistently i like our group, if not, the nod probably goes to texas. 

at oline, i think we're going to be better than people think. carson green has a chance to play his way into the draft, mccollum is going to surprise people at center, and dan moore quietly had a great 2nd half of the year. we'll be good at one guard, the question is if we get the production we need at the other guard spot to get us where we need to be. 

This is such a good message board post.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Actually I stand corrected

EA6lLz-U8AEAS4U?format=png&name=360x360EA6lM4gUEAAq06g?format=png&name=360x360

I think one of the largest irritants to me when it comes to those goobers is the fact that, they base their analysis and thoughts on literal fantasies, or information from 5 years ago. A perfect example is this post citing our depth. They haven't been paying any attention to what we've been doing as a program for the last 2-3 years to realize that fucking statement is not only absurd, it's the literal opposite of the truth. Another example is citing draft results from Mack Brown and Charlie Strong and their players and equating it to how things on campus are now for Texas. Meanwhile, EVERY fucking poster seems to talk about how we don't develop talent at Texas, ever, etc. Meanwhile, most of the people on here have a pretty fucking good understanding of EXACTLY what aTm has been doing for the last several years and how their depth at various positions stacks up to things, as well as a traditional understanding of what aTm coaches have done at other stops. They look at our defensive losses, but they fucking ignore losing their top 6 tacklers on defense. 

It's like the perfect illustration of the dichotomy of how Texas is different from aTm in football, academics, fucking everything. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bizzle said:

Followed by this

6 minutes ago, bizzle said:

but as i said above, comparing units is tough, especially when we're asking them to do pretty damn different things between the schemes. 

Holy shit. Every single argument you made was based on hope and rainbow dust.

Wide receiver:

I think this guy is going to be much better than he's ever been after his catastrophic injury. I think this guy is overrated but he's good, also he's on my alma mater's team so he's awesome. If this other guy turns out to be good then I like our group. If not then okay maybe this other group is better. But, again, if we roll three sixes on these three dice then we're better.

OLine:

I think we're better than people think. One guy has a chance to be really good, another guy who isn't good is going to surprise people and be good, one guy had a good second half last season (ALERT - A COMMENT NOT BASED ON WISHES AND UNICORNS), one spot will be good. Really the only question (editor's note - other than all the other questions that were just listed) is if the last spot is any good.

Q E fuckin' D, baby.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Spoiler

The past two Heisman winners have come from the Oklahoma backfield.

The Sooners return the Big 12’s two highest-graded non-quarterbacks on offense in 2019.

Oklahoma will also likely start former Alabama QB Jalen Hurts in Week 1 after accumulating a 26-2 record as a starter with the Crimson Tide.

Still, the Texas Longhorns could field the conference’s most high-powered offense this season with head coach Tom Herman’s returning nucleus of stars.

This story is brought to you by Eckrich, the Official Smoked Sausage of the College Football Playoff.

To understand why we must first understand who is returning for the Longhorns.

At the heart of it all is QB Sam Ehlinger, who put forth the conference’s third-highest grade among returning signal-callers at 85.7 overall, an elite figure at the college football level. He leads all returning Big 12 quarterbacks in yards (3,286), touchdowns (25), big-time throws (22) while limiting himself to just seven turnover-worthy passes a season ago, the fewest among returning quarterbacks with at least 210 attempts.

Perhaps the most important factor in why Ehlinger should be a considerable favorite for top conference quarterback is the fact that he finished last season as the returning leader in passer rating from a clean pocket. His 113.5 passer rating on clean dropbacks paced all returning quarterbacks and his 19-2 TD:INT ratio is among the nation’s best. In fact, his 113.5 is a top-20 mark among all returning signal-callers and ties him with Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence in that regard.

Sam-Ehlinger.png

Quarterback play from a clean pocket is one of the more stable metrics in terms of predicting future success at the position, and one of the big reasons why Ehlinger should have a leg up on his competition this fall.

It also helps that he has a strong offensive line to play behind.

As a team, Texas returns the conference’s third-highest pass-blocking grade on the offensive line among all returning offensive line groups, surrendering just 74 pressures on 580 pass-blocking snaps last season. Headlining that group on the offensive line is Samuel Cosmi, who returns as the conference’s second highest-graded offensive tackle.

What makes Cosmi such a headliner is not just the fact that he graded so high, it’s that he rarely left the field and logged more snaps than any returning Big 12 player regardless of position (and the third-most snaps among any returning player in the country). Cosmi was dominant in his first year of action with the Longhorns and even put forth five different outings without allowing a single QB pressure, even in the game against Oklahoma early in the year. He played terrific football, and a lot of terrific football.

D75CspAXsAAq6zm.jpeg

Also returning along the offensive line in Austin are Derek Kerstetter and Zach Shackelford. Kerstetter should likely fall in line with Cosmi’s switch to left tackle and slide into the right tackle spot himself after playing heavy snaps at right guard a season ago. Shackelford returns as the fourth highest-graded center and with the third-highest pass-blocking grade in the conference as he didn’t allow a single sack and only one QB hit on 440 pass-blocking snaps last year. The center-quarterback exchange should have no issues moving forward, an underappreciated aspect of solid quarterback play year-to-year.

When Ehlinger does indeed have the ball, his options are seemingly more plentiful than they have been in his years at Texas. Despite losing Lil’Jordan Humphrey in the slot, Ehlinger will have the likes of Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay hauling in his passes and also Keontay Ingram out of the backfield.

Starting with Johnson, the conference’s third highest-graded returning receiver, he racked up a 119.6 passer rating when targeted on 103 targets. He hauled in 66.0% of total throws his way and dropped just two of 70 catchable targets. Of his 68 total receptions, 47 of them moved the chains (40) or scored a touchdown (seven). He’s one of not only the Big 12’s most prominent returning receivers, but one of the nation’s top returning players at the position, and one who should find himself on the Biletnikoff Award list mentions all season.

His 140.0 passer rating when targeted on deep passes ranks well ahead of the next closest returning receiver in the conference and ranks among the nation’s best.

Collin-Johnson-Deep-Pass-Rtg-Big-12-WR.p

Duvernay didn’t light the field on fire a season ago but did finish with the conference’s best returning drop grade after not allowing a single catchable pass thrown his way fall to the ground. In fact, Duvernay’s 41 receptions without a drop are the second-most among all returning receivers at the FBS level from 2018. His reliable hands should be a key asset for Ehlinger in 2019.

Ingram comes into the equation as the conference’s returning leader in the same category among running backs, hauling in all 27 of his catchable targets without a drop.

With Johnson, Duvernay and Ingram, Ehlinger has perhaps the most sure-handed trio of returning receiving threats in the country.

Set for a bigger role this season will certainly be receivers Malcolm Epps and Joshua Moore. The duo combined for just eight receptions and 71 yards a year ago but with the vacancy created by Humphrey’s jettison to the NFL should allow Moore to slide into the slot while Epps can spell both Duvernay and Johnson on the outside. Also, former Gatorade National Player of the Year Jake Smith should factor into one of these spots and is a name to keep in mind.

This offense is stacked with the right returning players in the right positions. With Bru McCoy out of the fold now, it only gives a clearer picture as to who Ehlinger can get the ball to, and that picture didn’t even have McCoy in it in the first place.

This all goes without mentioning that Ehlinger possesses the country’s eight-highest rushing grade among signal-callers. If all else fails, he can simply move the ball on his own, creating a multi-faceted cast of characters defensive coordinators have to gameplan around.

And that’s the scariest thing about this Texas offense.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bizzle said:

"I think [x] is about to have a huge year" and "i think we're going to be better than people think" 

Even the seemingly sane ones are still so perfectly aggy.  

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Followed by this

Holy shit. Every single argument you made was based on hope and rainbow dust.

Wide receiver:

I think this guy is going to be much better than he's ever been after his catastrophic injury. I think this guy is overrated but he's good, also he's on my alma mater's team so he's awesome. If this other guy turns out to be good then I like our group. If not then okay maybe this other group is better. But, again, if we roll three sixes on these three dice then we're better.

OLine:

I think we're better than people think. One guy has a chance to be really good, another guy who isn't good is going to surprise people and be good, one guy had a good second half last season (ALERT - A COMMENT NOT BASED ON WISHES AND UNICORNS), one spot will be good. Really the only question (editor's note - other than all the other questions that were just listed) is if the last spot is any good.

Q E fuckin' D, baby.

4631e29a-daed-4c9b-987b-95a7e72c6fbb.png

• Like 3