A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

19 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

lawyers should always do everything correctly. But they don’t. And if they don’t, the courts do not usually leap to fraud as an assumption. Courts usually assume you are an incompetent dumbass. 

“Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence”

I would assume a bond would pretty much be boiler plate. Do you really think we should believe that it is common for hundred plus million dollar agreements to be drafted by incompetent dumbasses? 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The bullshit part is that the "incompetence" seems to reset the clock, or at least delay any kind of penalty. We know this is Trump's strategy, he's said so publicly.

So we should hire parking lot lawyers if we foresee a lengthy trial that may go against us?

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I would assume a bond would pretty much be boiler plate. Do you really think we should believe that it is common for hundred plus million dollar agreements to be drafted by incompetent dumbasses? 

The institution prepares the bond, and their lawyers.  As a general proposition, the defendant's lawyers don't really know shit about the bond itself.

It's sounding to me like this Knight Hankey outfit doesn't know what it's doing with judicial bonds in the first place, perhaps complicated by the favorable terms granted Trump.

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I think you just cut to the core of the problem, Buddy.  The law usually does not give a shit what people believe.  The law cares about what people can prove.  What is your proof it was knowingly false when submitted? 

Assuming is not allowed. 

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So we should hire parking lot lawyers if we foresee a lengthy trial that may go against us?

Maybe?

I mean, we can't all have the financial backing of the RNC.

• Drool 1

16 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The bullshit part is that the "incompetence" seems to reset the clock, or at least delay any kind of penalty. We know this is Trump's strategy, he's said so publicly.

This isn't a penalty scenario.  The bond represents cash on the table to the plaintiff if they prevail on the appeal.  If there's no bond, there's execution.  99/100 plaintiffs would rather have the bond, provided it's a legitimate bond.  Even if it's only approximately half the judgment, if that is affirmed.  That's 150M they didn't have to lift a finger to get.

Everyone keeps rooting for execution of the judgment as if that's some kind of penalty.  It's the natural course of things and a slow and awkward way to collect a judgment, likely in cents on the dollar.  It's not designed as a penalty, just as putting up a bond is not a penalty, but both are costly for the defendant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think you just cut to the core of the problem, Buddy.  The law usually does not give a shit what people believe.  The law cares about what people can prove.  What is your proof it was knowingly false when submitted? 

Assuming is not allowed. 

So no level of competency is expected by the court. In fact, incompetence is expected and obviously rewarded. 

When all faith is lost in the courts and shit starts burning I’m sure you will be shocked. Me, not so much

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So no level of competency is expected by the court. In fact, incompetence is expected and obviously rewarded. 

When all faith is lost in the courts and shit starts burning I’m sure you will be shocked. Me, not so much

come on. You are obviously smarter than the shit you just posted.  I just explained that the central issue in all fraud cases is proof that a party had knowledge of the falsity of what they were doing before they did it

That has absolutely nothing to do with your retort.  It’s like me saying a doctor intentionally committed assault on me because of some deviation of the standard of care in a surgery. You would tell me sometimes bad things happen without intentional malice, and I would reply “if you’re saying the doctor did not fuck up the surgery intentionally how do you explain it?  No MD level of competency is expected and malpractice is obviously rewarded!!”

Don’t be that fucking guy. 

Edited by Gatorubet
my apologies. Pissed posting and all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

come on. You are obviously smarter than the stupid shit you just posted.  I just explained that the central issue in all fraud cases is proof that a party had knowledge of the falsity of what they were doing before they did it

That has absolutely nothing to do with your smooth brain retort.  It’s like me saying a doctor intentionally committed assault on me because of some deviation of the standard of care in a surgery. You would tell me sometimes bad things happen without intentional malice, and I would reply “if you’re saying the doctor did not fuck up the surgery intentionally how do you explain it?  No MD level of competency is expected and malpractice is obviously rewarded!!”

Don’t be that fucking guy. 

That’s not the correct analogy. If I deal with Medicare or any govt payer — and now thanks to the Forest Park verdict any payer who uses electronic means or the mail to send me a payment across state lines— any mistake I make in billing, accepting payment, or even bringing cases to certain facilities, is imputed to be fraud. Oops my incompetent lawyer drafted the documents wrong or oops my incompetent lawyer, whom I in good faith trusted, gave me erroneous advice will not protect me from federal PMITA prison. 

eta i guess it’s possible but I can’t believe healthcare law is the only area where intent to defraud is presumed 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

47 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Good example of where Republican pro life is headed.  One step from the death panels that warned about in the ACA.  Everything is a projection.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

lawyers should always do everything correctly. But they don’t. And if they don’t, the courts do not usually leap to fraud as an assumption. Courts usually assume you are an incompetent dumbass. 

Motherfucker this is not a singular instance of fuckery. This has been happening over and over and over and is an established pattern. 

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This isn't a penalty scenario.  The bond represents cash on the table to the plaintiff if they prevail on the appeal.  If there's no bond, there's execution.

Yeah and if the bond doesn't actually guarantee a single red cent of cash, then it doesn't actually make a shit. 

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

99/100 plaintiffs would rather have the bond, provided it's a legitimate bond.  Even if it's only approximately half the judgment, if that is affirmed.  That's 150M they didn't have to lift a finger to get.

You and gatoroubet are counting chickens before they hatch if you think that trumps judgement has been bonded. It fucking hasn't, and he's getting the appeal relief for fucking FREE and playing a confidence game with the court to run the clock. 

Because you are inclined to trust defendants over the state, you have a blind spot for being taken advantage of by conmen. Trump does not speak in truth. EVER. Why are you choosing to trust a man who lied on the record thousands of times during his presidency?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Motherfucker this is not a singular instance of fuckery. This has been happening over and over and over and is an established pattern. 

Yeah and if the bond doesn't actually guarantee a single red cent of cash, then it doesn't actually make a shit. 

You and gatoroubet are counting chickens before they hatch if you think that trumps judgement has been bonded. It fucking hasn't, and he's getting the appeal relief for fucking FREE and playing a confidence game with the court to run the clock. 

Because you are inclined to trust defendants over the state, you have a blind spot for being taken advantage of by conmen. Trump does not speak in truth. EVER. Why are you choosing to trust a man who lied on the record thousands of times during his presidency?

Who said I trust Trump? I do not.  I am, generally speaking, pro-defendant yes.  So I appreciate the rights that are afforded those who take advantage of them (sometimes that's an issue of nothing but money, sometimes it's not).

The very issue we are discussing is the supersedeas bond and whether it is adequate under the law.  Neither I nor gator are assuming that it is.  We are explaining that Trump's lawyers likely have little or no control over the bond document itself and whether it is adequate under NY law.  That is mostly or entirely the purview of the bonding institution.  Whether Trump and his lawyers made misrepresentations to the court about his financial condition to secure the reduced bond is a separate issue from the bond document itself.

As noted above, reduction of the bond from the full judgment amount to some fraction of the defendant's net worth is not a novel concept.  It is embodied in the Texas Rules of Appellate Procedure, for example “the amount must not exceed the lesser of:(A) 50 percent of the judgment debtor's current net worth; or(B) 25 million dollars.” And it is present in the law for the benefit of the little guy facing a jumbo judgment.  

Is it possible that Trump's lawyers instructed the bonding institution to work in some unlawful loopholes to the bond?  Fuck yeah it is.  But that's going to require some proof, not an assumption that that is the reason for the inadequacy of the bonding instrument.  And it's risky as hell, because the court could order the institution to make good on the bond, regardless.

Either way in this process, the judgment will be at least partially secured or James will be permitted to execute.  It's basically a win-win for the plaintiff.  If you consider the right to execute a win.  Although watching the execution might be a total blast from the "fuck with Trump" perspective, its purpose is to satisfy the judgment and from that perspective, it might not be so much fun for James.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump is up past midnight stresseing over Biden.  Very healthy.

And yet, this 78 year old man seemingly has never had an issue staying up past midnight, stressing over this or that.  He's the Antichrist, and nothing to date has ever harmed him.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Who said I trust Trump? I do not.  I am, generally speaking, pro-defendant yes.  So I appreciate the rights that are afforded those who take advantage of them (sometimes that's an issue of nothing but money, sometimes it's not).

The very issue we are discussing is the supersedeas bond and whether it is adequate under the law.  Neither I nor gator are assuming that it is.  We are explaining that Trump's lawyers likely have little or no control over the bond document itself and whether it is adequate under NY law.  That is mostly or entirely the purview of the bonding institution.  Whether Trump and his lawyers made misrepresentations to the court about his financial condition to secure the reduced bond is a separate issue from the bond document itself.

As noted above, reduction of the bond from the full judgment amount to some fraction of the defendant's net worth is not a novel concept.  It is embodied in the Texas Rules of Appellate Procedure, for example “the amount must not exceed the lesser of:(A) 50 percent of the judgment debtor's current net worth; or(B) 25 million dollars.” And it is present in the law for the benefit of the little guy facing a jumbo judgment.  

Is it possible that Trump's lawyers instructed the bonding institution to work in some unlawful loopholes to the bond?  Fuck yeah it is.  But that's going to require some proof, not an assumption that that is the reason for the inadequacy of the bonding instrument.  And it's risky as hell, because the court could order the institution to make good on the bond, regardless.

Either way in this process, the judgment will be at least partially secured or James will be permitted to execute.  It's basically a win-win for the plaintiff.  If you consider the right to execute a win.  Although watching the execution might be a total blast from the "fuck with Trump" perspective, its purpose is to satisfy the judgment and from that perspective, it might not be so much fun for James.

There seems to be the notion that keeps getting floated (not by you) that Trump is being allowed to appeal despite the deficiencies in the bond.  I wasn't aware that a bond was required to appeal.  He's appealing because he's appealing.  The bond isn't a permission slip to appeal.  If he doesn't fix the issues, James can collect before the appeal is done.  If she chooses to wait, that's her decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

There seems to be the notion that keeps getting floated (not by you) that Trump is being allowed to appeal despite the deficiencies in the bond.  I wasn't aware that a bond was required to appeal.  He's appealing because he's appealing.  The bond isn't a permission slip to appeal.  If he doesn't fix the issues, James can collect before the appeal is done.  If she chooses to wait, that's her decision.

spacer.png

"Well, look, I already told you. Trump is getting special treatment that no one else would ever get!! I know the legal systems!! I am good at seeing the systematic abuses that the Courts let Trump get away with!!! Can't you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!"

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

(Not a lawyer and my wife didn't go to NY law school but) Wasn't it a stay bond issued pending appeal? Meaning, the execution of judgement is stayed for as long as an appeal is pending and a bond is posted. The bond is required to guarantee that the defendant is not merely attempting to delay payment. In this case, the bond clearly states that it does not guarantee payment because trump is still the one responsible for covering its cost. Trump is trying to play paperwork games to let himself guarantee his own bond, with the end outcome of delaying payment to the benefit of trump.

The bond is certainly not a permission slip to appeal. But combined with the appeal does actually stay the execution of the judgement.

21 minutes ago, Captainant said:

(Not a lawyer and my wife didn't go to NY law school but) Wasn't it a stay bond issued pending appeal? Meaning, the execution of judgement is stayed for as long as an appeal is pending and a bond is posted. The bond is required to guarantee that the defendant is not merely attempting to delay payment. In this case, the bond clearly states that it does not guarantee payment because trump is still the one responsible for covering its cost. Trump is trying to play paperwork games to let himself guarantee his own bond, with the end outcome of delaying payment to the benefit of trump.

The bond is certainly not a permission slip to appeal. But combined with the appeal does actually stay the execution of the judgement.

Yes, the bond, when properly made, stays execution on the judgment.  He does not need a bond to appeal, but if he doesn't file one, he is exposed to execution on the judgment.  As others have mentioned, the bond is more for the judgment creditor in this case since Trump's chances of success on appeal are slim.  But it seems to me that if he played paperwork games with this bond and the deadline has passed, he is exposed to execution on the judgment at the judgment creditor's discretion.  But to the extent NY and Texas are similarly situated in the law, he did not need it to file an appeal.  He wanted it, albeit in a smaller amount.  Whether he/his lawyers are playing stupid games, the logical outcome, to me, would be that there is no bond at present and he slow rolls correcting this at his financial peril (which I know is a hypothetical to most and my analyzing it like it's normal leaves this open to dismissive retorts on that basis; but speculation is not what I do).

Edited by dcbc

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think his narcissism doesn’t allow him to stress. 

I think his narcissism causes him a lot of stress because most Americans constantly refuse to shower him with the love and praise and adoration and unquestioned admiration he thinks he deserves. Look at how the North Koreans (that he sees) treat Kim Jong Un. He genuinely believes that’s how Americans should see him. It drives him crazy that most of us don’t. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He’s a stressed AF. Read his 3am screeds.

Dont mistake stimulant fueled nighttime rage with "stress."

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think his narcissism causes him a lot of stress because most Americans constantly refuse to shower him with the love and praise and adoration and unquestioned admiration he thinks he deserves. Look at how the North Koreans (that he sees) treat Kim Jong Un. He genuinely believes that’s how Americans should see him. It drives him crazy that most of us don’t. 

He also geneuinely beleives it's fake news that not everyone loves him. It's all a minority of deep state actors keeping him from power and adoration. I wouldn't try to justify the behavior of a narcissist through the lense of normal humans. Cognitive Dissonance is the most powerful force in the universe. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He also geneuinely beleives it's fake news that not everyone loves him. It's all a minority of deep state actors keeping him from power and adoration. I wouldn't try to justify the behavior of a narcissist through the lense of normal humans. Cognitive Dissonance is the most powerful force in the universe. 

Which is why he needs to be grey rocked if he loses this fall. It should have happened in 2015-16 but the novelty and related ratings wouldnt allow it.  Here is to hoping if he loses that he gets no more oxygen from the press.  Hahahahahahaha…….

Edited by A-Tex Devil

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dont mistake stimulant fueled nighttime rage with "stress.”

Judge him through the lens of a narcissist whose view of his own importance, strength, ability, intelligence, and capability is utterly divorced from reality. I’m pretty sure he genuinely feels the threat of potential jail time for his (many) crimes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think his narcissism doesn’t allow him to stress. 

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

He’s a stressed AF. Read his 3am screeds.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

We can call it whatever we want, but he’s clearly angry that things are not going his way.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

Right, I guess that's part of it.

I think, though, that captainant is right, until the bond issues are resolved one way or another, execution is halted.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’M SORRY. JUNIOR CHEER IS HARD WITH SO MANY TRYING OUT. I’M SURE YOU’LL MAKE IT NEXT YEAR. HOW ABOUT I DRIVE YOU TO THE SONIC FOR SOMETHING NICE?
I HAVE NEVER MADE ANY STATEMENTS ABOUT THE BOND BEING GOOD.   I LITERALLY  HAVE NOT MADE A SINGLE STATEMENT URGING THE ADEQUACY OF THE BOND. DID THEY RULE ON THAT AND I MISSED IT?
You and gatoroubet are counting chickens before they hatch if you think that trumps judgement has been bonded.
AGAIN, YOU MAKING UP SHIT IN YOUR HEAD NOBODY SAID HERE
It fucking hasn't, and he's getting the appeal relief for fucking FREE and playing a confidence game with the court to run the clock.
HE GETS APPEAL RELIEF WHETHER OR NOT THE BOND IS GOOD - HE HAS THAT AS OF RIGHT - THE BOND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT 
YOU ARE YELLING AT CLOUDS - ATTRIBUTING THINGS TO US WE DID NOT SAY AND ARGUING AGAINST BAD OPINIONS WE DO NOT HOLD.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

If only there were some association with broadly published standards pertaining to competence and professional behavior that could sanction or otherwise deter sudden attacks of professional incompetence that just happens to afflict the counsels of the rich and powerful when sand in the gears suits their interest.

If I didn't know better I'd think there was some kind of inherent bias inside the legal system in favor of the rich and powerful at work here, but "never ascribe to wagon circling which is adequately explained by denial"

the-simpsons-homer.gif

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 2

officespace-people.gif
"Well, look, I already told you. Trump is getting special treatment that no one else would ever get!! I know the legal systems!! I am good at seeing the systematic abuses that the Courts let Trump get away with!!! Can't you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!"

Golf clap.

* would have given bonus points for constant misspelling “judgment”.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I didn't know better I'd think there was some kind of inherent bias inside the legal system in favor of the rich and powerful at work here, but "never ascribe to wagon circling which is adequately explained by denial"

I truly don’t mean to frighten you, but I’ve been doing research with a Grand Mason to go through these issues.  Your mind will be blown.  It seems like rich people who have more money have an advantage in legal matters. With an unlimited budget, you can take a deposition of everyone who might possibly know anything.   If you’re poor, you can’t take that many depositions, and evidence that could help you might elude you because of resources.
It gets worse.
I have another friend who is plugged into all kinds of things, including some Jewish guy who has figured out a theory for the secret of everything.  I swear to God, I’m not not lying….but I’ve seen secret documents that show that rich people go to college more than poor people, and that more rich people become doctors and lawyers! It’s like they control all things having to do with health and the law!
And the more you dig deep the worse it gets. Just try to find somebody brave enough to do a correlation between wealth and number of vacation homes in the mountains and the beach. It all comes together.  I’m not sure who is the mastermind behind these things, but it sounds like foreign interference. 
I think I have stumbled on some dangerous information about influences from outside the country. Digging deep into the granular financial information of people, it seems like rich peoples’ kids are involved in a plot called “a semester abroad.”   I’m pretty sure it’s related to foreign countries, but I’m not sure how safe it is to dig deeper.
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:
13 hours ago, Captainant said:
I’M SORRY. JUNIOR CHEER IS HARD WITH SO MANY TRYING OUT. I’M SURE YOU’LL MAKE IT NEXT YEAR. HOW ABOUT I DRIVE YOU TO THE SONIC FOR SOMETHING NICE?
I HAVE NEVER MADE ANY STATEMENTS ABOUT THE BOND BEING GOOD.   I LITERALLY  HAVE NOT MADE A SINGLE STATEMENT URGING THE ADEQUACY OF THE BOND. DID THEY RULE ON THAT AND I MISSED IT?
You and gatoroubet are counting chickens before they hatch if you think that trumps judgement has been bonded.
AGAIN, YOU MAKING UP SHIT IN YOUR HEAD NOBODY SAID HERE
It fucking hasn't, and he's getting the appeal relief for fucking FREE and playing a confidence game with the court to run the clock.
HE GETS APPEAL RELIEF WHETHER OR NOT THE BOND IS GOOD - HE HAS THAT AS OF RIGHT - THE BOND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT 
YOU ARE YELLING AT CLOUDS - ATTRIBUTING THINGS TO US WE DID NOT SAY AND ARGUING AGAINST BAD OPINIONS WE DO NOT HOLD.  

Okay, so I have no idea what is going on here but no matter what, rep for the junior cheer Sonic quote because I just lost it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I truly don’t mean to frighten you, but I’ve been doing research with a Grand Mason to go through these issues.  Your mind will be blown.  It seems like rich people who have more money have an advantage in legal matters. With an unlimited budget, you can take a deposition of everyone who might possibly know anything.   If you’re poor, you can’t take that many depositions, and evidence that could help you might elude you because of resources.

so you agree with Bozo when he says 

32 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's really nuts how the longer and stranger this all gets that the posters on this thread and the indictment thread who used to seem measured, logical, orderly and reasonable now are starting to seem insane by continuing to be  measured, logical, orderly and reasonable whil the emotional outburst people who seemed to be teetering on the ledge on a minute by minute basis seem more and more like the sane ones.

Fuck this guy for doing that.

to be fair - the avg surly poster is A virgin, overly attached to their mother, and clinically insane 

• Haha 2

If only there were some association with broadly published standards pertaining to competence and professional behavior that could sanction or otherwise deter sudden attacks of professional incompetence that just happens to afflict the counsels of the rich and powerful when sand in the gears suits their interest.

the-simpsons-homer.gif
Kenneth Paxton and the entire Trump Lawyer Parade of assholes say hi; not sure the Bar has done shit. Yes I know 8 years is unreseasonbly aggressive for a timeline to process justice...

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:
14 hours ago, Captainant said:

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Okay, so I have no idea what is going on here but no matter what, rep for the junior cheer Sonic quote because I just lost it.

The double cheeseburger is nice. Only $1.99, too. Thanks. Sniff. I’d like that.

I lost the count because I can’t stop thinking about how CO was quickly brought to heel while the actual question of whether 1(6 was an act of insurrection by a ballot candidate got shoehorned into the last day of oral arguments.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

so you agree with Bozo when he says 

I agree that a lot of the “ I always talk in sweeping generalities, so I never have to defend myself on a specific fact accusation” peeps here think somewhat like some MAGA people do, only they have a different team. 

i’m glad we’re on the same team though.  Anyone who hates Trump as much as I is do a friend of mine. And they are entirely right to be angry and pissed off at a number of things. Still, there is a hell of a lot of magical thinking and ignorance being displayed, as they can’t differentiate between factual situations and nuanced laws leading to different rulings, and instead find it easier just to say it’s all rigged in favor of the rich.

Why people think that capitalism favoring the rich Is some incredible 5D chess epiphany escapes me.  What is more important is how it favors the rich. Most of the time stupid motions are not brought because it costs too much.  it’s not some magical favoring the rich scheme so much as it is the system does not deny people the right to file stupid shit…but only rich or pro se nutters usually do that because of cost.  

There is a difference between Spirit airlines and the business class pod on United going to Brussels.   But it is not some type of unfair, galactic conspiracy, it’s just the natural order of things in a capitalist society.  He’s losing almost everything he files, but that does not seem to make a dent in their unhappiness.  They want judges and courts all around America to get together and agree to fuck Trump in every legal matter he is involved in. 

ya know….to show impartiality. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2