A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’ve always loved the book The Rainmaker (never seen the movie), given its first-person narrative from Rudy’s point of view and insight into the insurance industry…and generally more relaxed, humorous atmosphere from the other Grisham novels I’ve read.  

When he takes on the Black’s case, during discovery he gets his first giant ream of paperwork from the high powered defense team and his professor makes a poignant remark about the insurance company being able to afford a gaggle of lawyers to confuse and overwhelm the plaintiffs.  It sure seems to help folks like Trump, Musk, etc. 

As alluded to in the previous post, though, that type of tactic doesn't always or even usually work.  At least in the civil system, the littler guy wins with quite some frequency.  The financial disparities are more exaggerated and more closely tied to results in the criminal system.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One curious thing. What stood out to me about  the 11th circuit opinion was if the lower court didn't find callous disregard for Trump's rights, that was pretty much the end of the inquiry.

The government never really argued that as a dispositive factor, and Trump didn't have to wriggle away from it.  So, yet another instance of a judicial decision turning on a "surprise" factor. 

Edit:  digging a little deeper, the 5th Circuit case from which callous disregard comes, Richey v. Smith, doesn't seem really to give that factor quite the dispositive weight:

First, and perhaps foremost, is the question whether the motion for return of property accurately alleges that government agents — in this case agents of the IRS — in seizing the property displayed "`a callous disregard for the constitutional rights of the taxpayer.'" 497 F.2d at 34. Other factors to be considered are:

Richey v. Smith, 515 F.2d 1239, 1243 (5th Cir. 1975).  "First, and perhaps foremost" doesn't exactly suggest that if there's not callous disregard you can just stop right there.

It will be interesting to see what the merits panel decides as to the whole order.  It sure looks like they're going to trash it altogether, but stranger things can happen. 

The order was certainly furthest out on a limb when dealing with the classified documents.  But it raised an oddball issue:  other than just saying so,  probably under oath (I have reviewed these documents and on the first page of every single one, it says "Top Secret") how the hell do you prove something is classified if you don't submit a document for inspection?

The oddball issue doesn't matter because Trump never actually submitted any evidence that he had an interest in the property. It was incumbent on him to provide some evidence that he had an actual possessory interest in each item seized by the government. Arguments of counsel don't count. He needed evidence. The burden was on him and he did nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The oddball issue doesn't matter because Trump never actually submitted any evidence that he had an interest in the property. It was incumbent on him to provide some evidence that he had an actual possessory interest in each item seized by the government. Arguments of counsel don't count. He needed evidence. The burden was on him and he did nothing. 

Trump has a problem with that whole evidence thing, as a general proposition.  I guess it goes hand-in-hand with the constant lying.

What raised the issue for me is that it was reported that Dearie said the government had made a prima facie case that the documents were classified, and Trump needed to rebut it.  Fine, makes perfect sense.  But how do you make that prima facie case without presenting the documents, presumably redacted?  Would an affidavit suffice?  Did the government present such an affidavit?  If so it was probably under seal, which is why I don't recall seeing it.

Otherwise, you're left with attorney argument on both sides of the issue.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trump has a problem with that whole evidence thing, as a general proposition.  I guess it goes hand-in-hand with the constant lying.

What raised the issue for me is that it was reported that Dearie said the government had made a prima facie case that the documents were classified, and Trump needed to rebut it.  Fine, makes perfect sense.  But how do you make that prima facie case without presenting the documents, presumably redacted?  Would an affidavit suffice?  Did the government present such an affidavit?  If so it was probably under seal, which is why I don't recall seeing it.

I don’t understand the argument.  The government says “there are this many pages of documents marked with various classification markings. We don’t want anyone to see those and include for the special master review.”

Trump’s team never said (that I know of) they don’t exist or that the markings aren’t there, they just said that the documents didn’t exist, or that the markings were fake, or that they shouldn’t have been marked. In fact, they seemed to admit they were marked and existed when they demanded they be included in the special master review. 

So I’m not sure why these need to be presented to anyone or demonstrated to exist. 

I’m going off memory and certainly can’t remember every document in this case. But didn’t the fbi have a certified inventory of what they took from maralago including boxes containing documents stamped certified. Also, trump never argued in court that the documents the government stamped certified didn’t contain the stamp.
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’m going off memory and certainly can’t remember every document in this case. But didn’t the fbi have a certified inventory of what they took from maralago including boxes containing documents stamped certified. Also, trump never argued in court that the documents the government stamped certified didn’t contain the stamp.

Also, as I think on it more, I doubt the DOJ attorneys could certify to this. They didn’t have the need to look at the classified and top secret documents. This would have been in the fbi inventory, which if there was something more specific than what was submitted on pacer would have had to have been submitted under seal

Crazy how we're moving into a space where Trump is now mentally declassifying documents. I think this pivot is because his attorneys have proven to him that there was no order that documents taken out of the WH were auto-declassified. (Maybe that was order was also in his mind, which is the equivalent of an exec order.)

Of course any of his bs arguments are only for the rubes. Even his lawyers won't be dumb enough to make that argument in court or filing. I don't even think they will ever claim anything was declassified as the govt maintains the status not Trump's brain.

36 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t understand the argument.  The government says “there are this many pages of documents marked with various classification markings. We don’t want anyone to see those and include for the special master review.”

Trump’s team never said (that I know of) they don’t exist or that the markings aren’t there, they just said that the documents didn’t exist, or that the markings were fake, or that they shouldn’t have been marked. In fact, they seemed to admit they were marked and existed when they demanded they be included in the special master review. 

So I’m not sure why these need to be presented to anyone or demonstrated to exist. 

It's not an argument.  It's mostly an academic type evidence question.

The classical way of authenticating or proving that something is what it purports to be is to offer a copy into evidence.  Obviously, that can't be done willy-nilly with classified stuff.   If the government didn't at least provide an affidavit that someone had reviewed the documents and they all bore classification markings, there's no evidence that they're classified, just a bare assertion, "attorney argument."  They very well may have and that affidavit is sealed.

And, affidavits are ultimately hearsay, and while they are competent evidence by rule for summary judgment, they're not always competent evidence.  Probably good enough for this type of proceeding.

Clearly Trump offered no evidence that the documents lacked marking or were declassified by him, just sniveling about how they could have been declassified, but, again, only "attorney argument."  But if the government only offered attorney argument, that's not evidence, either and you're kind of in a Mexican standoff.

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

That sounds right.  You'd think the government would have something like that, at least.  It's just a kind of academic question.

As patent lawyers, in court, we often have to prove up "prior art," evidence that something was known or done at some time in the past, things like catalogs, instruction manuals, blueprints, webpages, etc.  It often raises some interesting authentication and hearsay questions, so I get intrigued by these kind of issues.

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Is it true that Judge Cannon had said "just because DOJ says something is classified doesn't mean it's actually classified until the special master says so" or something like that? If so that's really disrespectful, borderline paranoid. A clear indication of her bias.

The whole order was premised on "why should we take the government's word on anything?"  I can actually get behind that reasoning in a general case, whether you want to call it disrespectful or paranoid, or whatever. 

Here is exactly what she said in denying the stay:

In isolating the described documents from the larger set of seized materials, the Motion
effectively asks the Court to accept the following compound premises, neither of which the Court
is prepared to adopt hastily without further review by a Special Master. The first premise
underlying the Motion is that all of the approximately 100 documents isolated by the Government
(and “papers physically attached to them”) are classified government records, and that Plaintiff
therefore could not possibly have a possessory interest in any of them. The second is that Plaintiff
has no plausible claim of privilege as to any of these documents [ECF No. 69 p. 7 (categorically
asserting that the “classified records at issue in this Motion . . . do not include personal records or
potentially privileged communications”)]. The Court does not find it appropriate to accept the

Government’s conclusions on these important and disputed issues without further review by a
neutral third party in an expedited and orderly fashion.

It's always a bit of an uphill battle to convince a court to treat anything as "categorically" anything, that is, under no conceivable circumstances could this be what the other side says it is.  Legal cases are all about "no conceivable circumstances" that become, in fact, the circumstances of the case requiring resolution.

It can be especially true when the court can't examine the evidence to determine that, while something may or may not be "categorically" as characterized, these specific documents are as characterized.

But, in the final analysis, she gave too much credit to Trump's FUD, and too little credit to the government's evidence and arguments.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The government provided affidavits regarding what was recovered during the raid. Trump could have provided an affidavit indicating, for instance, what items he believed were taken but not listed, or an affidavit explaining that he mixed up all those documents so that personal items (e.g., attorney-client privileged material or medical records) could be in the folders labeled classified , or maybe an affidavit stating that he had declassified the documents (but, as you and the 11th circuit have noted, that is a bit of a red herring). These sorts of proceedings do generally get resolved like summary judgment, so affidavits and then like work so long as it is clear that they could be converted to an admissible form and there are no objections to them. And, if needed, the court can also take live testimony.  

There are two major things I think you have missed from beginning:

1) This involves a criminal proceeding in the investigatory phase. Almost all of the cases cited by Cannon (as I pointed out earlier in the thread), dealt with criminal proceedings that had completed. The ability to get such evidence returned or to refrain the government from using it is necessarily limited both due to equity and separation of powers. 

2) Trump had the burden of demonstrating an possessory interest in the documents. He kept arguing the reverse, i.e., that the government had to prove that Trump didn't have a possessory interest. Cannon bought it. The 11th Circuit wasn't having it. 

Fair analysis.  I have focused on the cases granting special master review of mostly attorney-client privileged stuff, clearly pre-indictment, as is Richey v. Smith.  It's not completely clear to me where Rule 41 leaves off and "equity" picks up.  The fact that Trump's lawyers talked out of both sides of their mouth (Rule 41 provides a basis for jurisdiction, but we're not making a Rule 41 motion) certainly didn't help them.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Key section of the Eleventh Cir. panel opinion (in addition to the standing argument that Trump had property right to the documents).

No doubt the threat of prosecution can weigh heavily on the mind of someone under investigation. But without diminishing the seriousness of that burden, "if the mere threat of prosecution were allowed to constitute irreparable harm . . . every potential defendant could point to the same harm and invoke the equitable powers of the district court." United States v. Search of Law Office, Residence, and Storage Unit Alan Brown, 341 F.3d 404, 415 (5th Cir. 2003) (quotation omitted). If this concern were sufficient to constitute irreparable harm, courts' "exercise of [their] equitable jurisdiction would not be extraordinary, but instead quite ordinary." Id.

Cannon should be embarrassed. 

That was the part of the analysis I thought she most grievously fucked up.  But I was worried that the 11th Circuit wouldn't change it because of the nature of appellate review or because Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The whole order was premised on "why should we take the government's word on anything?"  I can actually get behind that reasoning in a general case, whether you want to call it disrespectful or paranoid, or whatever. 

Here is exactly what she said in denying the stay:

In isolating the described documents from the larger set of seized materials, the Motion
effectively asks the Court to accept the following compound premises, neither of which the Court
is prepared to adopt hastily without further review by a Special Master. The first premise
underlying the Motion is that all of the approximately 100 documents isolated by the Government
(and “papers physically attached to them”) are classified government records, and that Plaintiff
therefore could not possibly have a possessory interest in any of them. The second is that Plaintiff
has no plausible claim of privilege as to any of these documents [ECF No. 69 p. 7 (categorically
asserting that the “classified records at issue in this Motion . . . do not include personal records or
potentially privileged communications”)]. The Court does not find it appropriate to accept the

Government’s conclusions on these important and disputed issues without further review by a
neutral third party in an expedited and orderly fashion.

It's always a bit of an uphill battle to convince a court to treat anything as "categorically" anything, that is, under no conceivable circumstances could this be what the other side says it is.  Legal cases are all about "no conceivable circumstances" that become, in fact, the circumstances of the case requiring resolution.

It can be especially true when the court can't examine the evidence to determine that, while something may or may not be "categorically" as characterized, these specific documents are as characterized.

But, in the final analysis, she gave too much credit to Trump's FUD, and too little credit to the government's evidence and arguments.

I'm all for being skeptical of the government. But it seems like there's an established protocol for designating classified documents as classified, and that protocol involves cover sheets in the same way a school district or university laptop has some barcode affixed to it. Now if I were to go to the library at UT and steal a laptop from the university, I could try and argue "no that laptop is mine" but it would not go very far since the laptop has the barcode on it and very clearly says "property of the university of texas" on it.

In that hypothetical situation, I should be laughed out of the courtroom for even suggesting that a laptop belonging to anyone other than UT could or would have a UT barcode affixed to it. Are we really going to second-guess the true owner here? Without any other evidence of tampering?

That to me seems to be what Cannon is saying. That a meticulously tracked document that is meticulously tracked for very good reasons might not actually belong to the people who did that meticulous tracking. That is gaslighting straight up.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Wait. Are you saying rich / monied people get better treatment in the criminal justice system?

What about jobs or schools? Do they get better ones of those too?

IDK man. Something So systemically and structurally wrong with our system of government, economy, and justice would have been dealt with by Congressional action, no?. It seems kind of antithetical to the values of the republic that rich people get more rights than those with less.

you better check your facts before you start impugning the shining city on the hill like that.

Yeah, rich people may get all of that but do they get better access to basic things like health care also?  I don’t think so!

• Haha 1

Just now, chainsaw said:

I'm all for being skeptical of the government. But it seems like there's an established protocol for designating classified documents as classified, and that protocol involves cover sheets in the same way a school district or university laptop has some barcode affixed to it. Now if I were to go to the library at UT and steal a laptop from the university, I could try and argue "no that laptop is mine" but it would not go very far since the laptop has the barcode on it and very clearly says "property of the university of texas" on it.

In that hypothetical situation, I should be laughed out of the courtroom for even suggesting that a laptop belonging to anyone other than UT could or would have a UT barcode affixed to it. Are we really going to second-guess the true owner here? Without any other evidence of tampering?

That to me seems to be what Cannon is saying. That a meticulously tracked document that is meticulously tracked for very good reasons might not actually belong to the people who did that meticulous tracking. That is gaslighting straight up.

The classified documents are certainly a special case with a lot of ins, outs, and what-have-yous.

Because they are almost 100% generated by the government, classified by the government, handled solely within the government, and the subject of a comprehensive regulatory scheme that prevents their use in court or examination by laypeople, they're the kind of thing you really do have to kind of take the government's word on them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

.... that they don't belong in the basement of a beach club? Huh, well ok I guess. 

That was never the issue here.  People keep conflating the wrongdoing with the procedure to evaluate the nature of the documents and any rights and interests that might pertain to them.

In a roughly analogous case, you don't excuse 4th amendment violations just because the defendant is obviously guilty.  Well, for now you don't.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The classified documents are certainly a special case with a lot of ins, outs, and what-have-yous.

Because they are almost 100% generated by the government, classified by the government, handled solely within the government, and the subject of a comprehensive regulatory scheme that prevents their use in court or examination by laypeople, they're the kind of thing you really do have to kind of take the government's word on them.

I'll add on to the affidavit issue that Trump could have submitted an affidavit saying "I cannot tell whether the documents the government retains are truly the classified documents as opposed to my personal documents because they will not let me see them." Personally, I don't think that is sufficient. But it screams to either his lawyer's incompetence or his knowledge of the opposite that he didn't even take that minimum step. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One curious thing. What stood out to me about  the 11th circuit opinion was if the lower court didn't find callous disregard for Trump's rights, that was pretty much the end of the inquiry.

The government never really argued that as a dispositive factor, and Trump didn't have to wriggle away from it.  So, yet another instance of a judicial decision turning on a "surprise" factor. 

Edit:  digging a little deeper, the 5th Circuit case from which callous disregard comes, Richey v. Smith, doesn't seem really to give that factor quite the dispositive weight:

First, and perhaps foremost, is the question whether the motion for return of property accurately alleges that government agents — in this case agents of the IRS — in seizing the property displayed "`a callous disregard for the constitutional rights of the taxpayer.'" 497 F.2d at 34. Other factors to be considered are:

Richey v. Smith, 515 F.2d 1239, 1243 (5th Cir. 1975).  "First, and perhaps foremost" doesn't exactly suggest that if there's not callous disregard you can just stop right there.

It will be interesting to see what the merits panel decides as to the whole order.  It sure looks like they're going to trash it altogether, but stranger things can happen. 

The order was certainly furthest out on a limb when dealing with the classified documents.  But it raised an oddball issue:  other than just saying so,  probably under oath (I have reviewed these documents and on the first page of every single one, it says "Top Secret") how the hell do you prove something is classified if you don't submit a document for inspection?

In any event, I am glad the 11th Circuit did what it did.  I was worried about it primarily because of the nature of appellate review, but also due to "Trumpy" judges.  I'm not convinced that some or even most Trump appointees are in the bag for Donald Trump, but it will always be a lingering concern.

as a criminal lawyer myself, you're overthinking this from your civil perspective.  relax...no need to read so much into things in this area of law.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The appellate ruling is heartening. I’m no legal scholar and I know overturns on appeals happen. I also know judges don’t generally like them to happen.  

It strikes me that a slap down of this extent doesn’t build confidence in our judiciary.  It wasn’t really a fine point of law, this reads to me as the legal equivalent of “Judge Cannon is wrong about everything and should feel bad.”  So my choices on Cannon are either that she’s really bad at law stuff or she decided to show extreme deference to a former POTUS out of either fear or loyalty. 

And I wonder what kind of law people without the resources of the US DOJ are getting when they go into her courtroom. 

It clearly shows Cannon to be compromised and corrupt, but I think two out of the three judges on the panel being Trump appointees helps restore confidence. I'm pleasantly surprised with this result. Although I wouldn't be shocked if the fubar scotus reverses. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'll add on to the affidavit issue that Trump could have submitted an affidavit saying "I cannot tell whether the documents the government retains are truly the classified documents as opposed to my personal documents because they will not let me see them." Personally, I don't think that is sufficient. But it screams to either his lawyer's incompetence or his knowledge of the opposite that he didn't even take that minimum step. 

Yep.  And, I suppose if they got to the point of putting an affidavit in front of him to sign, he would have pitched a megafit about why it didn't say he had a standing order of declassification or telepathically declassified or some shit.

Having him sign an affidavit is not as risky as putting him on the stand, but I bet it's more dicey with Trump than we might initially think.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

It clearly shows Cannon to be compromised and corrupt, but I think two out of the three judges on the panel being Trump appointees helps restore confidence. I'm pleasantly surprised with this result. Although I wouldn't be shocked if the fubar scotus reverses. 

Well, it does clearly show that she made up her mind that a master was the appropriate thing to do and she wasn't going to carefully analyze the law or make any hard decisions about the documents themselves and actual privilege law.

Whether that's compromised, corrupt, or just dumb/prejudiced remains open for debate.  I'm glad the 11th decided to be decisive about it and I think the government did a pretty good job teeing up a relatively clean issue for them to decide instead of the morass of things dealt with in the order more broadly.  It sets up the appeal on the merits nicely.  Now I wonder about the timing, but it doesn't bother me much because I think the master is going to go with the government nearly 100%.

What might happen, and I think this could be great, is that the Dearie rules on everything in favor of the government and before Cannon can figure out a way to overrule it, the 11th rules that it never should have happened in the first place.  Best of both worlds.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I can see the liberals and Roberts ruling against him and making Kav following Roberts. The Trump appointees have no reason to be scared of Trump.  He can’t fire them if he’s re-elected. What, will the GOP get so mad they’ll impeach him? 😂 No please, don’t do that!

They owe Trump nothing - he picked them off a list that Mitch has had in his pocket for years.  Mitch would not mind if someone else helped get the Trump headache off his plate and he can call in a favor to Kav. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I can see the liberals and Roberts ruling against him and making Kav following Roberts. The Trump appointees have no reason to be scared of Trump.  He can’t fire them if he’s re-elected. What, will the GOP get so mad they’ll impeach him? 😂 No please, don’t do that!

They owe Trump nothing - he picked them off a list that Mitch has had in his pocket for years.  Mitch would not mind if someone else helped get the Trump headache off his plate and he can call in a favor to Kav. 

Cannon had no reason to fear him either but still did his bidding.

52 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The government provided affidavits regarding what was recovered during the raid. Trump could have provided an affidavit indicating, for instance, what items he believed were taken but not listed, or an affidavit explaining that he mixed up all those documents so that personal items (e.g., attorney-client privileged material or medical records) could be in the folders labeled classified , or maybe an affidavit stating that he had declassified the documents (but, as you and the 11th circuit have noted, that is a bit of a red herring). These sorts of proceedings do generally get resolved like summary judgment, so affidavits and then like work so long as it is clear that they could be converted to an admissible form and there are no objections to them. And, if needed, the court can also take live testimony.  

There are two major things I think you have missed from beginning:

1) This involves a criminal proceeding in the investigatory phase. Almost all of the cases cited by Cannon (as I pointed out earlier in the thread), dealt with criminal proceedings that had completed. The ability to get such evidence returned or to refrain the government from using it is necessarily limited both due to equity and separation of powers. 

2) Trump had the burden of demonstrating an possessory interest in the documents. He kept arguing the reverse, i.e., that the government had to prove that Trump didn't have a possessory interest. Cannon bought it. The 11th Circuit wasn't having it. 

The thing is, this can’t really happen.  Classified material does get a cover sheet (which is not classified itself and says so on the sheet). Classified documents have the classification on the document itself, so that it’s still clear in case it gets separated from the cover sheet. And the stuff itself can be super specific, to the point of having different paragraphs on the same page bearing different markings.  And this is also quite clear— if original material isn’t marked classified, it isn’t (absent malfeasance like copying stuff that is onto a different document). 

So DJT could staple his cialis prescription or an inventory of Junior’s dildo collection to a cover sheet and that would still not be included in the FBI’s classified document list. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement