Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Buddy hires are okay when they are proven coaches. Herman’s and Strong’s were just buddies.

Tom Herman’s initial staff was a fucking joke that all of us openly laughed at from the beginning.  The early indications are that Sark is not trying to make that same mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry Hamilton:

Hide contents

Inside Texas has learned that former Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops, who is currently a defensive analyst for Alabama, is "unlikely" to join Steve Sarkisian at Texas.

"It doesn't look like that's going to happen," a source close to the situation said.

Stoops has been rumored to be a candidate to coach linebackers as well as Co-DC.

Everything’s coming up Milwee 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Herman probably would have called him “the running back” or some stupid shit till he graduated. Sark seems to actually get it and think this staff will reflect that 

6C4B73E5-1209-42DD-9309-496B663E2539.png

Conversation went like this....,,watch what Najee does to tOSU and that's you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Valai sucks. Our cornerback play was bad this year even late in the season. 

if you have a chance to hire Raymond then you can Valai yesterday. 

The prevailing wisdom last offseason was that Ash was taking over coaching duties for the entire secondary while Valai was brought on mostly for recruiting and as a locker room guy.

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

With regard to Raymond.... are we okay with whatever his involvement was with the LSU mess? 

Yeah... I was pretty meh on this hire but if they land anywhere near the names that are being thrown out, then I'm all in. 

This job isn't as difficult as the last two clowns have made it out to be. Hire the best assistants you can find, recruit like a motherfucker and then profit.

The best thing that Sark has going for him though, is the talent on campus. Say what you will about Herman, but his staff did a nice job on talent evaluation and acquisition. They for sure didn't pull in the 4 and 5 star guys that they should have, but their secondary evals have been on point. We've all bemoaned our offensive line recruiting, especially this year, but what Sarkisian is inheriting on the OL is light years beyond what Strong or Herman started out with. And that doesn't even mention Bijan and a healthy quarterback room and a deep stable of guys on the DL and at DB.  Charlie's cake wasn't baked but this one looks like it's ready for the oven. No reason that we shouldn't hit the ground running.

Corey Raymond has been an elite position coach at LSU for almost a decade. LSU’s failures this year have nothing to do with him. 

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The biggest issue with Strong and Herman (and even Mack initially) were buddy comfort hires from their current gig.

But are we OK with that here since Bama is the current gig? 

Hiring your buddies is fine if they’re also nationally elite coaches. It’s only a problem when they don’t deserve to be at any P5 school, let alone Texas. 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Food for thought...

Urban had success retaining the DC when he took over at both Utah and tOSU,  so it's not always best to get rid of everyone if they're good coaches like Whittingham and Fickell

Had enough of you telling me about urban honestly. You never listened to reason in the urban thread.

Regardless, I’m not saying that they should all be gone. Some may stay. My point is that the best option available should win out.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

This thread moves too fast for me to keep up.  Is it a given that Ash is getting shitcanned?  I thought he did a pretty good job with the defense, but then again I'm benchmarking that against Tony Orlando.  

Undecided but it appears that Muschamp isn’t coming.  I think people are assuming it would be one of the two. 

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This thread moves too fast for me to keep up.  Is it a given that Ash is getting shitcanned?  I thought he did a pretty good job with the defense, but then again I'm benchmarking that against Tony Orlando.  

image.thumb.jpeg.eabdfbb393e7321434efa6435baebd84.jpeg

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I think Ash stays. No reason not to keep him if yoy can't get someone like Muschamp

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's the dawn of a new day.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The biggest issue with Strong and Herman (and even Mack initially) were buddy comfort hires from their current gig.

A badass coaching staff is the real appeal of hiring Sark. His connections are to Carroll's tree and Saban's tree. That's as good as it gets in current cfb. If he keeps Ash then he's somewhat connected to the UM tree as well. 

17 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Buddy hires are okay when they are proven coaches. Herman’s and Strong’s were just buddies.

Sark has better buddies.  Strong really didnt have many connections. Herman's were unproven and turned out to be very weak coaches, as compared to other power 5 programs of our caliber.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas Flood said:

Would be a big pull. Have to imagine Bama would offer significant raises to avoid losing 3 coaches (and thereby players/recruits) to Sark.

If it’s just Flood joining, that’s still a win

Saban probably has a long line of consultants ready to take the job

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

If Saban was close to retirement wouldn’t Sark just stay there?

If I’m Sark, (and I’m not FYI)...I’m open to making a shit ton of cash to live in one of the best cities in the nation and replacing a “legend” (in his own mind!) as opposed to guessing when St. Saban may or may not retire and having to follow up that LEGEND.  Ask Mike Shula how it fun it was taking over after Coach Stallings.

or Charlie taking over for FUPM

or what’s his face taking over for switzer...

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

You catch on quick 😉

27 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He's unlikely to have a job with the Falcons next year so hes available

I know he’s a good coach but that dude should never leave the college game, his talents are wasted in the NFL IMO. Come drop some bags here in Austin 

53 minutes ago, NoName said:

Ifs ok to make some comfort/buddy hires, have to be comfortable...but to fill your entire staff w buddy hires is a problem.

It depends on what circle of “buddies” you run with. Sark runs with some pretty elite coaching buddies.

A top 4 playoff Texas team will generate more hype and money than a bunch of pearl clutching alumni could ever hope to match in donations.

A post like the above from Not a Sock seems to be more about poster posturing than reality. It's not hopelessly idealistic or stupidly optimistic to not embrace outright, wholesale flushing of ethical standards. 

"I just want to win and I don't care how" will ruin this game for me. You have the NFL, leave college football alone. Sure, it's dirty, but that doesn't mean you have to just drown it in shit. If it makes you feel manlier than me to call anyone who disagrees with you a pearl clutcher...well, just fuck the hell off, bitch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In for 1000

That was supposed to be post 1,000 but if Tosh be passing out bags I’m in to toss in $1000  

If we are going to do this sanctioned cheating thing I think Shaggy ought to pick a recruit every year to buy.  I feel like it would be worth it collectively to this board and within our means to give the next Waddle like 200k  

I’ll donate my stimulus check to the Ewers cause.

• Haha 1

Holman Wiggins would be a lazy hire and speaks to Sark not understanding the Texas job. No one that was with Fuente for 9 years should be considered. This would be the definition of a comfort hire. Couple him with keeping Drayton and you have a very underwhelming offensive staff with no elite teacher or recruiter in either the RB or WR spots. 

• Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

A post like the above from Not a Sock seems to be more about poster posturing than reality. It's not hopelessly idealistic or stupidly optimistic to not embrace outright, wholesale flushing of ethical standards. 

"I just want to win and I don't care how" will ruin this game for me. You have the NFL, leave college football alone. Sure, it's dirty, but that doesn't mean you have to just drown it in shit. If it makes you feel manlier than me to call anyone who disagrees with you a pearl clutcher...well, just fuck the hell off, bitch.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In for 1000

That was supposed to be post 1,000 but if Tosh be passing out bags I’m in to toss in $1000  

If we are going to do this sanctioned cheating thing I think Shaggy ought to pick a recruit every year to buy.  I feel like it would be worth it collectively to this board and within our means to give the next Waddle like 200k  

Damn, I think Bama only gave him $50K

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Holman Wiggins would be a lazy hire and speaks to Sark not understanding the Texas job. No one that was with Fuente for 9 years should be considered. This would be the definition of a comfort hire. Couple him with keeping Drayton and you have a very underwhelming offensive staff with no elite teacher or recruiter in either the RB or WR spots. 

I'm sure there are reasons he's underwhelming, but hiring the position coach for the first Heisman WR wince 1991 doesn't exactly seem like dumpster diving.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Holman Wiggins is not a good coach?

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Yep. Picking up chicks in the Motel 6 lobby is a lot different that pick up chicks in the JW lobby.

He's not fucking his assistant coaches is he? If so, I would have an entirely different list of candidates and my job interviews would be of a different nature.