Welcome to Texas Coach Sark.....

Rip76

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Fuck yeah.  I'm trying to get at least one of my kids to attend UDub for the trips to Seattle.

You should probably try to convince one of your step siblings to go. You’ll get a lot more bites at the apple that way. 

15 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I picked the wrong fucking year to try Dry January.

Every year is the wrong fucking year to try dry January. 

14 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Who gives a fuck...people change. Saban was a fucking borderline .500 coach before LSU. 

meh, for me this is like being on one of those blind dating shows and after 1/2 an hour of build up and anticipation you pick a chick and when they come from around the curtain it’s your friends ex-wife.

I’m not trying to piss in anyone’s Cheerios, but this hire is going to rub some fans the wrong way. 

Per ESPN:

"This is a unique and compelling opportunity to lead this storied program to the next level, competing once again amongst the best in college football," Sarkisian said about joining the Longhorns.

Sarkisian, who is making $2.5 million per season on Nick Saban's staff with the Crimson Tide, declined an interview with Auburn in its head-coaching search last month and turned down the Colorado head-coaching job last year.

He is the first assistant coach hired by Texas to lead its program since 1951, when the Longhorns promoted Ed Price to the role.

Texas didn't immediately release details of Sarkisian's deal. The Longhorns will owe Herman about $15 million to buy out the final three years of his contract. The Longhorns will owe about another $10 million to buy out the remaining contracts for his assistants, which are guaranteed multiyear deals.

"Hiring Steve Sarkisian represents a critical investment in our football program's future, not just for our student-athletes but for all of Longhorn Nation," university president Jay Hartzell said. "Our entire community benefits from a healthy and successful athletics program, and naming Steve as our coach infuses our football program with the necessary guidance and expertise to drive further success."

TSarkisian, 46, was USC's quarterbacks coach on Jan. 4, 2006, when Vince Young led the Longhorns to a 41-38 upset of No. 1 USC in the BCS National Championship at the Rose Bowl, ending the Trojans' 34-game winning streak. It was Texas' first national title since 1970.

"There has always been something special about Longhorn football, its history and traditions -- not just on that day -- and I could never have imagined that 15 years later, I would join the Longhorns as their head coach," Sarkisian said.

Sarkisian coached Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC and star quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones at Alabama. He went 46-35 combined during coaching stints at USC and Washington.

His tenure at USC ended badly when then-athletic director Pat Haden fired him because of reported alcohol problems. At the time, ESPN reported that Haden had placed Sarkisian on a zero-tolerance policy regarding alcohol use. He entered rehab following his dismissal.

Sarkisian worked as the offensive coordinator of the NFL's Atlanta Falcons in 2017 and '18 before returning to Alabama in 2019.

"Steve Sarkisian is one of the top offensive minds in the game of football, which he has proved over and over during his time with USC, Atlanta, and most recently, Alabama," Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said in a statement. "We are confident our players and coaches will thrive under his leadership and in response to his energy and passion for the game."

This will be the sixth time Alabama has played for a national championship with a coordinator on his way out for a head-coaching position, going back to 2011, when offensive coordinator Jim McElwain accepted the Colorado State job.

Texas and Alabama are scheduled to play a home-and-home series in 2022 and 2023.

• Like 1

I live in Seattle, know some UW donors, etc.   I don't have any inside scoop or rumors or stories that you can't already read about on various forums from past years.  But he was a wreck at UW, and pissed off more than his fair share of people.  It wasn't just the drinking.

From what I understand, it was more of the same at USC.

He may turn out to be a great coach and win a lot of games, but it seems odd to me that the best UT could do was to take a gamble like this.  His record as head coach is not any better than the coach he's replacing, and he's got a drinking problem.  I see the possible upside; I just assumed they could find someone to gamble on whose possible downside wouldn't be so... publicly embarrasing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

After the last hire, when Herman was the obvious HR nationally and locally, something in me kinda likes the “meh” reaction around this one. Most of us and the media don’t know shit anyway.
Anyway, let’s get this shit on the right track plz *insert obligatory alcohol reference

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

He battled demons. Many of us have. I hope he never loses that battle. I hope he can remain sober and be a decent man

I'm worried about how he handles the intensity of the coming seasons, but I'm even more worried about his drinking problem when he gets fired in a few years.

He can't do this job. He will fail. We haven't just set up a man to damage his career, we've taken a sick human being and set him up for relapse. 

CDC has found a way to go from bad to worse. 

• Fuck You 16

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

He battled demons. Many of us have. I hope he never loses that battle. I hope he can remain sober and be a decent man

I'm worried about how he handles the intensity of the coming seasons, but I'm even more worried about his drinking problem when he gets fired in a few years.

He can't do this job. He will fail. We haven't just set up a man to damage his career, we've taken a sick human being and set him up for relapse. 

WELCOME TO TEXAS, COACH SARK! WE'RE ALL FULLY BEHIND YOU!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Get a hold of yourself, buddy.

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

iu.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Holy fuck the Sark signal instantly activated an army of ghost posters who all rallied out of the woodwork with decidedly shitty takes.  

We've progressed quite nicely from the days of giving the head coach a chance (Charlie) to being cautiously optimistic if not a bit skeptical (Herman) to now this guy is just going to flat suck. It's reassuring that Surly is the opposite of a fine wine. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

I wonder if Sark stayed behind in Texas after the Bama game yesterday?

Worked out real nice for him and UT that The Rose Bowl got moved to Jerry World this year.

I mean with the advances in modern plane technologies I’d guess it wasn’t that big of a hurdle to overcome otherwise.

• Haha 1

I’m slowly warming up to it. I don’t know why, but I’m more excited about Sark than I think I would have been with Kelly. 

I like his story even if it makes me nervous. We’ll see who he fills his staff with. The last two coaches whiffed with the first staffs and we knew what would eventually happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Welcome Coach, but count me underwhelmed. His coaching record is what it is; and the baptism of Saban impresses as much as the baptism of Belichick. It requires a huge leap of faith to imagine he figured out how to coach and run a program. Can't ascribe all his issues at Washington and USC on the field just to his personal demons.

The best thing I can say is that maybe the combination of humility on his part, and hopefully some humility from those who run things is what it takes to get things turned around.

The worst thing from all of this is that I don't trust much about CDC anymore. Tom Herman was the author of his own downfall, but CDC did a piss poor job of shielding him from The Eyes of Texas fiasco and the quagmire that became recruiting once he let Herman become dead man walking.

Now this is the guy that will be tasked to guide Sarkisian? A choice that might not have been his from other reports?

Interesting year ahead of us.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol Not because of travel but so word didn’t leak out before everyone was ready.

Oh gotcha... I would think that has more to do with our peripheral “journalists” being spoon-fed info as opposed to bulldog truth-seekers.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

2 minutes ago, naija said:

Welcome Coach, but count me underwhelmed. His coaching record is what it is; and the baptism of Saban impresses as much as the baptism of Belichick. It requires a huge leap of faith to imagine he figured out how to coach and run a program. Can't ascribe all his issues at Washington and USC on the field just to his personal demons.

The best thing I can say is that maybe the combination of humility on his part, and hopefully some humility from those who run things is what it takes to get things turned around.

The worst thing from all of this is that I don't trust much about CDC anymore. Tom Herman was the author of his own downfall, but CDC did a piss poor job of shielding him from The Eyes of Texas fiasco and the quagmire that became recruiting once he let Herman become dead man walking.

Now this is the guy that will be tasked to guide Sarkisian? A choice that might not have been his from other reports?

it has a chance to be a very low floor and I'm not sold on the potential high upside.  this guy failed upwards.  He has to be the luckiest man on the planet at this point.  Saban is the reason Alabama scores 47 points a game not Sark after Dark.  this is probably the worst of all outcomes.  Urbs is laughing his ass off.  What a disaster.

6 minutes ago, naija said:

Hartzell will be lining up a new AD hire in 4 years.

What’s all this worrying about. If you want to inject worry, I’ll play. I don’t (and nobody else) know how this is going to go. It could go either way, obviously, but I am less worried about things than I was early this morning if we are on the worry meter.

Just now, dcar00 said:

it has a chance to be a very low floor and I'm not sold on the potential high upside.  this guy failed upwards.  He has to be the luckiest man on the planet at this point.  Saban is the reason Alabama scores 47 points a game not Sark after Dark.  this is probably the worst of all outcomes.  Urbs is laughing his ass off.  What a disaster.

Explain how being picked by Saban to be the OC of the most dominant program in football, and then leading that offense to it's most explosive years in program history is "failing up."

He may end up being a bad hire. No reason to just make shit up because you're unhappy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3