Welcome to Texas Coach Sark.....

Rip76

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Herman had to go.  A few areas where Sark may be an improvement:

• More time at big tier 1 programs and NFL may help with how to run a program effectively
  • Seems more innovative and willing to adapt his approach and bring in younger players (Neither Charlie or Tom could do this and it took Mack 9 years and scoring 0 against OU with VY at QB)
  • currently a hot recruiter
  • Should have a bigger network of assistants to pull from (An area both Charlie and Tom screwed up)
  • I don't know much about his demeanor so I hope that is an improvement over Herman (No kissing, backpack dances, and mensa schtick)

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@closetojumping can you elaborate, or do you have any more information, from your friends at Bama who implied Sark isn’t living as cleanly as the media portrays? Does this mean he’s had relapses while in Tuscaloosa? Has he moved from alcohol into other vices? He sounded like a pretty legit recovering addict in his presser, but if he’s that good at just saying the right things while continuing to use then we have way bigger issues than a narcissist child like Herman.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It was Thursday and I wasn’t taking Sark seriously as a candidate so I didn’t push for info. They simply said “yeah, he’s clean if you believe the stories being fed to the media.” I have a meeting with a buddy in February and maybe he’ll divulge more, but in truth, I’m going to give Sarkisian a shot and let that stuff die off from the boards unless he starts showing up to practices or games chugging something from a brown, crumpled bag. 

I'll have you know that's how my local corner store gives me my AriZona Iced Tea, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

After watching his presser, I can definitively say that he's a much more likable person than Tom Herman and his false bravado schtick.  Sark seems like a confidant, competent, and nice guy.  He's a breath of fresh air. 

Edited by NoRagrets
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I wonder if there’s some benefit to taking this job in a pandemic, because Sark probably won’t have to attend as much glad-handing events right out of the gate and can focus more on the job.

Don't you worry, he'll have plenty of opportunity to gladhandle your mom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It was Thursday and I wasn’t taking Sark seriously as a candidate so I didn’t push for info. They simply said “yeah, he’s clean if you believe the stories being fed to the media.” I have a meeting with a buddy in February and maybe he’ll divulge more, but in truth, I’m going to give Sarkisian a shot and let that stuff die off from the boards unless he starts showing up to practices or games chugging something from a brown, crumpled bag. 

If he relapses, we the public will know. There are two kinds of addicts, those that can hide it well (closet addicts) and those that can't handle themselves at all. Pretty obvious from the experiences in Washington and especially SC,Dark After Dark is terrible at hiding it. I could tell he was shit-faced just watching him coach on TV.

Looks like Nuufaola (the OB insider who is seen as extremely legit) is now posting on IT...this shit got me fired up!

This is a copy of another post that I made on OB. Not totally clear what I am going to do going forward about posting. I kinda liked my hiatus, particularly with respect to my growing list of people that hated my guts for some reason. Maybe it will simply be more fun here.  

Anyway, happy new year 

Hawaiian silence. I hadn’t been posting for a couple of reasons. First, I had some knowledge of some facts, and I didn’t want to risk upsetting what UT was trying to do. Second, and more importantly, I didn’t want to be seen as adding any fuel to any fire. I had stated my case that Herman needed to be fired after OU, and that was my last post of 2020. Frankly, all the noise between the day this board turned against Herman and the announcement of Sark was simply that...noise. There is always a trade-off between doing your work, taking your time and hiring somebody who is in the playoffs, vs. a quick score and incrementally better recruiting in a given year. UT was simply focused on the former, but that doesn't make the waiting game any less painful.  

A structural point. I assume that most people on this board aren’t particularly into deconstruction of essays, and even fewer of you are into press release symbolism. But, you will note that the Sark announcement was signed by Eltief (Chairman of the BOR of the UT system), Hartzell (President of UT) and CDC. The point is that the entire chain of command has put their name on this one. The all “own it”, and in many respects their tenure will be defined by this hire, particularly to outsiders. None of them hired Herman, but all 3 of them explicitly hired Sark.  

Why Sark? There is a belief that he is the best offensive mind out there, and you need to be a wizard to compete in the Big 12. He is a QB whisperer. He will have a great OL, he will use his TE. On defense, he will simply hire the very best, at least that its the deal that has been cut (he will need to share glory and UT will need to pay up).  

He is viewed as organized, design a game plan, coach his kids up, able to recruit, attract and maintain a staff. He has seen two elite systems at USC under Pete and Bama under Saban, and he knows what to do to vault us from being behind to being on the forefront of college football. Organizationally, UT was nowhere compared to Bama. That will change in a few weeks. Oh, and people like him. Big difference there. EQ matters in 2021, even if it didn’t under Lombardi.  

Importantly, he is viewed as having the organizational skills, the PR skills and the perspective and maturity to thrive as the CEO of Texas Football. That was what made Mack great and was at least party responsible for the demise of Charlie and Herman.  

His personal struggle with booze will be an issue for Orangebloods until he wins, and then everyone will forget it. Frankly, given the propensity for any organization to suffer from recency bias, I am surprised that UT made this hire just for this reason. The way you get over a recency bias is to work at this for 3 months, talk to everyone a million times, hone in on what you are trying to accomplish and make sure you have the best fit. Back to the structural point above: What Eltief, Hartzell and CDC have done is basically said “we did our diligence, and in our opinion the base case and the upside cases are worth the risk.” In short, they think that Sark is the attainable candidate who has the best chance to get us back to college elite. And they clearly view a relapse as a low likelihood.  

The people I talked to at UT are incredibly excited by the notion of Sark being our coach, and I will tell you that I really admire and trust these people. They said that if i was in the interviews, I would have done the same thing... So, if that is the case, I am totally on board. 

I can’t wait to see how the next month unfolds as they assemble a world class staff and fill in the recruiting pieces that we need to win next year and beyond

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is my single biggest fear with the hire. If he's sober, I like it. If not, yikes. I may be misremembering but hadn't you previously heard from Bama people that he was clean?

There was a rumor on the SEC board that Sark was getting another raise to be the HCIW. So he's apparently sober enough for Bama to trust him with Nick's blessing. So I think we are in good shape on that front. 

Of course that can always change with the drama from this job. Hopefully he has a good personal and professional support system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

This is my single biggest fear with the hire. If he's sober, I like it. If not, yikes. I may be misremembering but hadn't you previously heard from Bama people that he was clean?

Yeah, from the same folks. Could be any reason for that. If I hear anything down the road that is worth retelling, maybe it’s worth a post but my preference is to give the guy a chance and hope he has his shit together and pulls us out of the rubble as he continues to climb out himself. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

For those that think Sark can’t handle it here, go watch some of his recent press conferences and compare his answers and demeanor to Strong and Herman. Dude has his shit together. 

Yeah, if there’s one way to tell if a coach is legit, it’s listening to his press conferences. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's how I see it playing out

Bear Case: perennial Texas Bowl, 7-5 or 8-4, 30% chance

Base Case: perennial Alamo Bowl, 8-4 or 9-3, 40% chance

Upside Case: occasional Big 12 championship appearance with Sugar/Fiesta bowl every 2-3 years, 9-3 or 10-2, 20% chance

Bull Case: regular Big 12 champ or runner up, 10-11 win seasons are the norm, 10% chance

Just now, 6th Street said:

Here's how I see it playing out

Bear Case: perennial Texas Bowl, 7-5 or 8-4, 30% chance

Base Case: perennial Alamo Bowl, 8-4 or 9-3, 40% chance

Upside Case: occasional Big 12 championship appearance with Sugar/Fiesta bowl every 2-3 years, 9-3 or 10-2, 20% chance

Bull Case: regular Big 12 champ or runner up, 10-11 win seasons are the norm, 10% chance

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

Lulz at the quote above about "the people I talked to at UT are incredibly excited by the notion of Sark being our coach". Well no shit. I would be concerned if that wasn't the case. They asll seemed pretty excited about snagging Herman as well.  Personally I give him about a 25% chance of sticking around longer than 4 years, but that's probably the same percentage everybody not named Saban or Meyer would get at this point. No use bitching about him at this point, I guess we'll see over the next week or so what he can do with the university's checkbook behind him.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, if there’s one way to tell if a coach is legit, it’s listening to his press conferences. 

Right.  I'm into results.  I've seen that most people that talk a good game can't produce.  Saban isn't exactly a TV star.  There aren't many DKRs around.

Greg Davis frustrated me, but he produced the best UT offenses in history and the 4 best QBs since James Street.  All those 5 stars before Major always disappointed.

But truly, Hermann really wasn't the PR guy.  He always looked kind of creepy in those LHN press conferences with the weird blinkless stare.

6 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

After watching his presser, I can definitively say that he's a much more likable person than Tom Herman and his false bravado schtick.  Sark seems like a confidant, competent, and nice guy.  He's a breath of fresh air. 

Hopefully air that will pass a breathalyzer. 

6 minutes ago, PDX_Horn said:

I'm still very reluctant about the hire considering how many quality coaches are out there with proven HC experience. 

Nonetheless, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's been a part of the last two CFB dynasties since 2000. 

Like who

• Hook 'Em 2

I think he'll work out. I don't know why, but I feel like he'll actually establish a real coaching staff with recruiters and not have pussies like Meh anywhere near the team. He's had his issues, but he's got everything he needs to be successful here. He's not Tom who has never been a coach at a big time program, and he's learned from the best which I'm sure will translate. He's a recruiting machine, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thinking about Bama potentially handing the keys to Sark at some point as HCIW, what are the high level similarities and differences between Bama and UT from a program standpoint and fan/BMD involvement in the running of the program?  Is the Texas job a ”bigger” job due to outside forces and distractions?  Or not?  

I’d especially be interested inCTJ’s perspective as he seems plugged in. 

Edited by CycleTex87