Welcome to Texas Coach Sark.....

Rip76

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I know he knows his X’s and O’s, I was speaking in terms of being a leader in an administrative role within this athletic program. There are way too many ‘could be’s” when everyone is talking about him. We’ll see how it plays out, but my brother went to UW and I’m familiar with this guy and a bunch of booster stories.

This is my biggest issue.  We are a mess as a program.  It would take someone like Urban to set the course right.  I don’t think Sark is anywhere close to capable of fixing this shitshow.

I’ll hope to be wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Holy fuck the Sark signal instantly activated an army of ghost posters who all rallied out of the woodwork with decidedly shitty takes.  

you must be new here

39 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

lets hope he is as good as that last coach we got from u. washington.

This is the right attitude

16 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Not my choice, but Sark now takes over on the Game Grid:

Sarktenor.gif.712827420346666ea13f0f0ddd51875b.gif

Can he stay sober in Austin? Seems like a bad choice for that, plus having to w

I'm outta rep or I'd rep you just for the Tron reference

• Hook 'Em 1

This up there with 1010wins as whiniest and most bitchass post of all time. As someone who works professionally with those in recovery, you can go fuck yourself with your stupid and ill informed opinions
I agree. History has definitely shown that taking mentally ill people with a history of mediocrity as leaders and thrusting them into more responsibility and more scrutiny usually ends well.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

hope i am way wrong about this but this is colossally stupid. like, indefensibly stupid.  please let me eat crow.

i was dead on right about mack brown hire.  dead ass wrong about the charlie strong hire.  dead on right about the herman hire.

i'm due to be wrong again.  here's hoping.

hopefully he can at least maximize bijan over the next couple of years.  any word on this bringing jalen milroe back into the picture at all?

If he's smart, he's not after Milroe. He wants Bryce Young and then Quinn Ewers to replace him. Milroe and Ewers are too close in class/age.

Charlie Strong was an AWFUL hire. All the evidence was out there on him. Herman was a gamble on a young coach, who I think COULD still be successful, but he made a bunch of rookie mistakes. Not sure how you could feel the opposite.

This isn't the hire I wanted. At least Sark can recruit, has a lot of good assistant coaching connections, has big-time head coaching experience, with mixed results, and has learned/rehabbed the past few years under Saban.

My eyes are on the assistant hires and how quickly he can turn the recruiting/transfer machine. That will probably be some foreshadowing to possible future results.

7 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

Rob B. is losing his got damn mind on the Horn.

Talking about shenanigans in the hire.

I'm sensing a firing may be in his future.

Maybe.

Rod B. is pissed that Campbell isn't the hire.  He's been banging the drum for Campbell for a while and he can't understand why Texas would choose Sark over Campbell.  He doesn't think Texas should have fired Herman unless they got a 'clear upgrade' and that isn't Sark. Basically dismisses any impact it would have on recruiting.

He asked both Howe and Chip if Sark admits to being an alcoholic and if he went to rehab.  He basically looks at it as a Herman 2.0 hire.

Its too bad - I generally like Rod B's podcast with Howe.  But he's dead wrong on this and is making a bit of an ass of himself.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

what_the.jpg.28721f1f4acf4c6fd0b9fff4f9779b1b.jpg

They... aren't even remotely similar.

The circumstances of this hire feels the same way. This is a situation where Tom got himself fired and we wiffed on the big time name we were gunning for. This guy is a plan B, just like strong was

Edited by Doc Reeves

58 minutes ago, jinx said:

We are a mess as a program.

Are we? Herman's dumbass decision making and conservatism are the only thing that kept us from at least playing for but most likely winning a conference title this year. We were missing quite a few starters against UC and absolutely dog whipped them. All of the pieces are there. The culture seems to be fine. We were undisciplined under Herman but guys played hard and for the most part stayed out of trouble. 

The foundation is there - it just all needs to be pushed over the hump. This isn't like taking over for Charlie where Herman had to sift through a bunch of shit and do a ton of work putting everything in the right place and getting the right guys back on campus. 

Sark could have a pretty loaded roster next year compared to what a lot of first year guys walk into - especially if he can do some work in the portal and pick up a few more 2021 commits without losing anything notable. 

Our program is fine. We had an absolute clown in charge. Maybe this guy is a clown, too. But if he isn't - and he's really ready for the big time this time - we are going to hit the ground running.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

In the past, I’ve been known to drink the koolaid. I did it when Herman was hired - thought he was the next great coach. This time, I’m wiser and more worldly, and can confidently say that Sark is the absolute right man and the right time. I expect the 30 for 30 to be out before the decade is up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Herman had to go.  He was not turning this around, losing recruits and learning to be a HC at a major program on the job was not working out for him.  The childish antics were not aging well either. His standard to keep his job was beat OU and win a conference championship. He failed at both and was 4th in conference.  Did not even sniff the CCG.

So yay, Herman is gone. 

I can see a few areas where Sark may be an improvement.

• More time at big tier 1 programs and NFL may help with how to run a program effectively
  • Seems more innovative and willing to adapt his approach and bring in younger players (Neither Charlie or Tom could do this and it took Mack 9 years and scoring 0 against OU with VY at QB)
  • currently a hot recruiter
  • Should have a bigger network of assistants to pull from (An area both Charlie and Tom screwed up)
  • I don't know much about his demeanor so I hope that is an improvement over Herman (No kissing, backpack dances, and mensa schtick)
  • Hook 'Em 3

Rod B. is pissed that Campbell isn't the hire.  He's been banging the drum for Campbell for a while and he can't understand why Texas would choose Sark over Campbell.  He doesn't think Texas should have fired Herman unless they got a 'clear upgrade' and that isn't Sark. Basically dismisses any impact it would have on recruiting.
He asked both Howe and Chip if Sark admits to being an alcoholic and if he went to rehab.  He basically looks at it as a Herman 2.0 hire.
Its too bad - I generally like Rod B's podcast with Howe.  But he's dead wrong on this and is making a bit of an ass of himself.

His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. More power to you
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are we? Herman's dumbass decision making and conservatism are the only thing that kept us from at least playing for but most likely winning a conference title this year. We were missing quite a few starters against UC and absolutely dog whipped them. All of the pieces are there. The culture seems to be fine. We were undisciplined under Herman but guys played hard and for the most part stayed out of trouble. 

The foundation is there - it just all needs to be pushed over the hump. This isn't like taking over for Charlie where Herman had to sift through a bunch of shit and do a ton of work putting everything in the right place and getting the right guys back on campus. 

Sark could have a pretty loaded roster next year compared to what a lot of first year guys walk into - especially if he can do some work in the portal and pick up a few more 2021 commits without losing anything notable. 

Our program is fine. We had an absolute clown in charge. Maybe this guy is a clown, too. But if he isn't - and he's really ready for the big time this time - we are going to hit the ground running.

I hope you are right.  A decade of mediocre football will kill a mans belief.  I am on record that Herman needed to go regardless.  We are due for a coach to hit here and I will be more than happy to be wrong.  But I can’t help but think that the best Saban spawn has been Kirby and he is Mack the Younger, the rest are awful to mediocre.  

The next coach I will think is the right fit for Texas is the one holding a Big 12 trophy over his head while wearing burnt orange.  Let’s hope it is Sark.  

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Tell Rob B to have a coke and shut the fuck up

Welcome to the Cesspool, coach (which should be the name of the football board, which I love btw)

• Hook 'Em 1

It may be the wine and negronis talking but my initial disappointment with Sark is starting to fade.  Seems like a coach who’s already learned some humility unlike Herman... I think a little humility will do a lot of good here and I’m also thinking he may be better at developing talent.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The guys bleating on about sark’s record as a head coach. He took over terrible positions in both places and I assume was a functional alcoholic for most or all of those years. The current Texas program is miles ahead of where UW was and same with usc just because of the roster restrictions and their impact on recruiting as well as game day. 
also dkr was 17-15 in 3 years as a head coach before we hired him.   Never should have given him the chance, huh. 

this will be sark’s first head coaching job where he isn’t hamstrung from day 1 by the previous coach. He’s certainly had the experiences and time to change and evolve as a person and a coach. 
it’s concerning that we find out if he has by leading my team, but buckle up buttercup because here we go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'd be excited about Sark if I was an Auburn fan. He may be great. He may be the next Herman. Either way, it's hard to view this as anything other than settling after we missed our first choice. Maybe this is a Pete Carroll situation. Maybe its a Charlie Strong situation. I'm hoping for the former.

i feel alright about it.

i'd like to think that his past, the alcoholism, public humiliation, hitting bottom and fighting his way back to a job at this level is a great story that will inspire and have an impact on recruits and their families, particularly those from difficult circumstances themselves. likewise, maybe that experience will give him a good frame of mind and attitude to survive here and be successful, b/c this will seem like nothing compared to what he's already been through. 

plus, i mean, that Alabama team is pretty good. 😊

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I was pretty “meh” on this hire but after listening to his press conference zoom call I actually think he could end up being pretty good for us.  We will know real quick if he is the right guy for this job based on the staff he puts together.  He mentioned twice I think that we will have the best staff in the country.  Let’s see if the Shawn Watsons of the world are on his staff or if he really brings some great coaches to UT.  Once he has his staff if he shows the ability to recruit the way we expect at UT he should be fine.  My only question is for those that remember him as a head coach at USC and UW is was he good at game day decisions?   Did he call a fake punt on his own 30 yard line in the first quarter type of shit?  Not take the FG points when he should?   Herman was a tard when it came to game day decisions like that so hopefully Sark is better and more like Saban.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

People need to be ready for players to transfer out. It’s going to happen, whether they don’t want to play for Sark and staff, they aren’t really wanted, or for any other reason. We’ve already seen players transferring before this hire so it shouldn’t be a surprise. But the world is not falling apart, and I have faith in sark to find talent in the portal to replace any players that decide to leave

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was pretty “meh” on this hire but after listening to his press conference zoom call I actually think he could end up being pretty good for us.  We will know real quick if he is the right guy for this job based on the staff he puts together.  He mentioned twice I think that we will have the best staff in the country.  Let’s see if the Shawn Watsons of the world are on his staff or if he really brings some great coaches to UT.  Once he has his staff if he shows the ability to recruit the way we expect at UT he should be fine.  My only question is for those that remember him as a head coach at USC and UW is was he good at game day decisions?   Did he call a fake punt on his own 30 yard line in the first quarter type of shit?  Not take the FG points when he should?   Herman was a tard when it came to game day decisions like that so hopefully Sark is better and more like Saban.  

It was a while ago, but I vaguely remember him fucking up some situations at UW/them finding ways to lose late in games under him. It seemed like they’d get hyped up most years in the preseason and then fall short of expectations. Jake Locker being a highly touted guy who wasn’t actually very good at playing QB probably didn’t help. 

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Herman had to go.  He was not turning this around, losing recruits and learning to be a HC at a major program on the job was not working out for him.  The childish antics were not aging well either. His standard to keep his job was beat OU and win a conference championship. He failed at both and was 4th in conference.  Did not even sniff the CCG.

So yay, Herman is gone. 

I can see a few areas where Sark may be an improvement.

• More time at big tier 1 programs and NFL may help with how to run a program effectively
  • Seems more innovative and willing to adapt his approach and bring in younger players (Neither Charlie or Tom could do this and it took Mack 9 years and scoring 0 against OU with VY at QB)
  • currently a hot recruiter
  • Should have a bigger network of assistants to pull from (An area both Charlie and Tom screwed up)
  • I don't know much about his demeanor so I hope that is an improvement over Herman (No kissing, backpack dances, and mensa schtick)

Yep.  I see all of these as advantages.