Welcome to Texas Coach Sark.....

Rip76

9 hours ago, Kurt Bowels said:

If he relapses, we the public will know. There are two kinds of addicts, those that can hide it well (closet addicts) and those that can't handle themselves at all. Pretty obvious from the experiences in Washington and especially SC,Dark After Dark is terrible at hiding it. I could tell he was shit-faced just watching him coach on TV.

Correction.  There are addicts who can still hide it and addicts who can no longer hide it.  It's a progressive disease.

If he fell off the wagon it would be pretty obvious.

• Hook 'Em 3

Thinking about Bama potentially handing the keys to Sark at some point as HCIW, what are the high level similarities and differences between Bama and UT from a program standpoint and fan/BMD involvement in the running of the program?  Is the Texas job a ”bigger” job due to outside forces and distractions?  Or not?  

I’d especially be interested inCTJ’s perspective as he seems plugged in. 

I’m not CTJ but as a Bama alumni and fan, I feel comfortable answering.

Prior to Saban, we had the same “issues” y’all complain about - big money donors meddling and feeling entitled to attention from the head coach and to having a say in hiring.

That shit stopped clean after 2007. Saban does the few usual high profile speaking gigs - Birmingham Touchdown Club, Regions Pro-AM when the PGA comes to town, and Red Elephant Club banquets - but he doesn’t tolerate anyone meddling in his program and he doesn’t do the glad handing stuff outside of a few events.

Our boosters got a raft of shit from the other 99% of Bama fans after the Albert Means fiasco and other assorted shenanigans in the late 90s/early 2000s so the University had a tangible reason to begin to limit their day to day influence.

Saban nailed that door shut.

The boosters now just write their fat checks and enjoy trash talking their rich AU, Tennessee, and UGA friends.

A metric shitton of wins, SEC championships, and National Championships > having the head ball coach’s cell phone number.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

OK, so when I got the Sark news yesterday I was driving to Dallas for my kid's volleyball tournament and never really got much time to process it or hear his zoom talk, etc. Now that I'm back home and I've had time to think about it a little more and hear him speak, I have to say I'm impressed with what I heard from the man. He seems grounded. He seems to know what he's up against and what the potential of this program is at the same time. He understands what a massive opportunity this is for him and for the program, but he especially seems to understand that we're not going to win games by just showing up in burnt orange at home or in the Stormtroopers on the road. It's going to take a well-conceived process and lots of hard, intelligent work.  He understands that we need to lock down this state again in recruiting, which I'm guessing he has a unique perspective on, given his and Alabama's recent ability to dominate in recruiting here.

Gotta say I've joined the ranks of you that are optimistic over this hire, and think we may have taken a good risk that will pay off.  Welcome Coach Sarkisian, and HookEm!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Our boosters got a raft of shit from the other 99% of Bama fans after the Albert Means fiasco and other assorted shenanigans in the late 90s/early 2000s so the University had a tangible reason to begin to limit their day to day influence.

Saban nailed that door shut.

man, I'm glad Alabama stopped buying players

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve posted a few times about being pretty happy about the hiring of Sark, but there is one major concern I have, which will be surprising - the offense. 

Someone who is more knowledgeable about the different schemes needs to weigh in here as I provide a simplistic view of the situation. 

I think of three general offensive trees, which I know is too simplistic of a view. I think of the Urban Meyer, Tom Herman type offense which relies heavily on the QB as a runner to be successful. There’s the Lincoln Riley type offense, which improves on the pass happy Mike Leach scheme. Then there is the Sark, NFL, Norm Chow type scheme. 

My concern is that in the age of easy transfers and early departures for the NFL, it will be more difficult for the Sark type scheme to be successful because it’s more difficult to learn than the other two offenses, and requires a very very good QB. To be fair, Sark should be able to recruit well at QB, but I worry about the type of player and time required to become proficient at the scheme. I could envision this offense bogging down due to time to learn and lack of players smart enough to learn it. 

Maybe this is too simplistic of a view.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve posted a few times about being pretty happy about the hiring of Sark, but there is one major concern I have, which will be surprising - the offense. 

Someone who is more knowledgeable about the different schemes needs to weigh in here as I provide a simplistic view of the situation. 

I think of three general offensive trees, which I know is too simplistic of a view. I think of the Urban Meyer, Tom Herman type offense which relies heavily on the QB as a runner to be successful. There’s the Lincoln Riley type offense, which improves on the pass happy Mike Leach scheme. Then there is the Sark, NFL, Norm Chow type scheme. 

My concern is that in the age of easy transfers and early departures for the NFL, it will be more difficult for the Sark type scheme to be successful because it’s more difficult to learn than the other two offenses, and requires a very very good QB. To be fair, Sark should be able to recruit well at QB, but I worry about the type of player and time required to become proficient at the scheme. I could envision this offense bogging down due to time to learn and lack of players smart enough to learn it. 

I am much more concerned about the defense.

I have yet to see a fire Sark thread either which concerns me as well.

13 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

What I like about this hire is that the athletics department finally got it right. We finally hired someone that has head-coaching experience in the P5 level and not the hot upcoming G5 coach with no P5 experience. 

We could have just promoted Ash and got that.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think you have the cart before the horse. Does his system require a very very good QB or does it create a very very good QB? Look at all of the former QBs that he has had underneath him, Darnold, Sanchez, Jones, Tua, Locker..I am sure I’m missing some but all of them were top ten first round picks (Jones withstanding) and all of them were extremely underwhelming in the NFL (Tua remains to be seen). I think Sarks system inflates QB value and also think he’s smart enough to adapt his scheme to his personnel. I haven’t done any kind of deep dive on it however

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I think you have the cart before the horse. Does his system require a very very good QB or does it create a very very good QB? Look at all of the former QBs that he has had underneath him, Darnold, Sanchez, Jones, Tua, Locker..I am sure I’m missing some but all of them were top ten first round picks (Jones withstanding) and all of them were extremely underwhelming in the NFL (Tua remains to be seen). I think Sarks system inflates QB value and also think he’s smart enough to adapt his scheme to his personnel. I haven’t done any kind of deep dive on it however

https://www.google.com/amp/s/volswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/23/sarkisians-quarterbacks-by-the-numbers/amp/

actually you can remove Darnold, he never coached him just recruited him. Kessler was his QB who had no business being that good nor in the NFL

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

These are Jake Locker's stats - Sark took over the Washington program in 2009.

image.png.d3f87f181a45ac290e803b16c646f7bb.png

Big difference in style of play and execution between his Willingham years and when Sark came in.  AY/A jumped more than a yard and QB rating almost 30 points coming off of a season lost to injury.

If you want an interesting and somewhat depressing read search "Sark" on this board going back a month and reverse sort by date.    There were probably 20 posts by people with supposed connections or quoting people with supposed connections saying there's no way in hell this happens.    Also there's maybe 2 or 3 posters out of 100 who said they wouldn't kill themselves if it was Sark.

I just repped every one of LongtimeLurker2001's posts because he is literally the only one that had this shit right.

• Hook 'Em 3

Trying to keep myself optimistic, it's worth noting that Alabama is 23-2 since Sarkisian took over as offensive coordinator. The two losses were by scores of 46-41 and 48-45.

Their previous two losses were by scores of 44-16 and 26-14.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm pretty concerned. I'm worried that over the next few years,  all of our good players, RBs, Linemen, QBs Receivers etc are going to begin leaving early for the NFL draft...

That's called SarKasm, folks.

Now what can we do with the words Orkasm and Sorkasm

FarKasm - a TD Pass or Run over 50 yds long.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, mdmost said:

I like the hire. I don't love it. But I don't think I was going to love any of them. He has tremendous upside. He can recruit. He can coach offense. He's been around the game and great programs long enough to hopefully build this up into something great again. I'm a lot more optimistic of this hire than I ever was of Tom Herman. 

With all of our modern technology, our advances in medical science and genetics, not to mention a first class med school and network, why in the hell haven't we cloned Darrell K Royal and avoided all this bullshit year after year?

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Trying to keep myself optimistic, it's worth noting that Alabama is 23-2 since Sarkisian took over as offensive coordinator. The two losses were by scores of 46-41 and 48-45.

Their previous two losses were by scores of 44-16 and 26-14.

Eureka, thats it!  Nick Saban's defense is the problem!

On 1/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, Dbeasy said:

I cannot say whether or not he will be successful here, but here is what I will say.

Herman was always doomed to fail here because of his offense. The reason is simple. This is a scoring league. Everyone has an offense. There are going to be games where the other team has your number defensively, and you simply cannot stop them from scoring any reasonable amount of points. When that happens you have to be able to score with them. Herman brought with him a scheme that required the defense to never have down games, and thus we lost a lot of games we should've won.

Sark knows how to do offense. Players who want to play in the pros will be more likely to want to play in a scheme that is somewhat relatable. He has shown over his career that he can adapt offensively to the ever changing landscape. The rest will depend on how well the kids on campus fit, how well he can recruit here, and who he brings in to help him.