Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Something must have just changed.  Gerry and the 247 west cost mod had Texas picks for Brooks (247 still does) and Davis is still Fong'd to Texas.

Is DeAndre Carter (Mater Dei) still in play?

41 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Something must have just changed.  Gerry and the 247 west cost mod had Texas picks for Brooks (247 still does) and Davis is still Fong'd to Texas.

Think it was always Ivy or Brooks. Believe this is more Texas having Ivy over Brooks. 

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

July is going to tell us a lot about how NIL is shaping up for various schools, versus Texas. 

Does Ohio State land Jackson? They’ve got to decide if they want to step up in a big way for a guy that is a damned good prospect, but his camp has a much higher opinion of his worth than anyone here would. Texas will be competitive but not stupid, so this is OSU’s to lose.

Freeze has access to bag money but that’s far more finite than legitimate NIL. Does Auburn have the resources for effectively changing Lindsey’s mind? This isn’t solely a NIL recruitment, but this is where any random school can show up with something ridiculous for one target and take them off the board.

ATM really doesn’t want Texas to land Simmons and Black. How do they make a pitch that exceeds Bijan Robinson/Quinn Ewers type of corporate NIL that Simmons knows he could get as a star at Texas? I get the impression they want to make the Anthony Hill move here, but I don’t know if they actually can. Texas has not been fucking around with Simmons or Black.

Damn, I really wish Texas could find a way to get Simmons and Black to bail on that stupid fucking pool party. Hopefully those two won’t let bags of cash dropped at their feet blur the bigger picture when it comes to NIL. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, RollingPresidential said:

I do not credit a single recruiting report that uses "academics" as a data point. Why is the kid not choosing from Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Stanford then? I am very proud of my UT degree but I think this board and others get way too spun up about that. A high school football player that "cares about academics" is just one that's not going to start in the gen ed program. McKinley will be surrounded by a bunch of boat salesman, beverage distributors, and lawyers with LSU law degrees (the only kind in Louisiana) telling him you can still get rich going to LSU. The pressure to go to LSU when you are just a regular high school student (shitty basketball player profile aside); I cannot imagine the amount of folks buzzing around that kid right now telling him to go to LSU, computer science interest or not. I'll believe it when I see it when we get one of those big hogmollies out of there. 

I agree with most everything you said, but I still like to retort, "You mean Low SAT University?" When I hear someone try to pump LSU.  

The one thing I think will be universal in the SEC, is that coming to Austin for an away game will be the single hottest ticket for every team in the SEC. Period.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 3

@RollingPresidential is simply being too binary in his position on “academics” in recruiting. There’s a gap between NW and Stanford and a guy weighting Texas or UF or UNC or Michigan higher than shitholes like LSU or Auburn. They could be looking at LSU, Auburn and Texas and ultimately decide that Texas is the best fit because of the academics. They don’t have to be exclusively looking at Stanford and Rice to be concerned about their future degree’s value. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Gerry Hamilton: T.J. Lindsey to visit Texas and Auburn ahead of decision

Four-star defensive lineman T.J. Lindsey plans to make two more unofficial visits before making a decision. The 6-foot-4, 268-pounder informed Inside Texas Sunday afternoon that he will be in Austin and Auburn the last weekend in July. “I’m visiting Texas and Auburn the last weekend in July,” Lindsey said Sunday. “I think it’s Texas Friday and Auburn Sunday. After that (a decision) could be any day.”

The On3 Industry Ranking 4-star and No. 329 ranked prospect overall continues to consider Texas A&M and Miami, but the Longhorns and Tigers continue to trend favorably. “Auburn is very high for me. Definitely top 3. I like JG (Jeremy Garrett), and Coach (Hugh) Freeze. They have everything you would want resource wise, and I feel like I will be developed. With Texas, definitely Bo Davis and I know he will develop me to be the player I want to be. Going into the SEC is key too. Texas is an iconic school and has as many or more resources than anyone.”

The decision between Texas and Auburn

Lindsey says the ability to be versatile is the key. That means playing outside, and inside as a pass rusher early on in his college career. “They both (Texas and Auburn) see me as the most versatile defensive lineman they are recruiting.” In terms of making a decision, that’s why the last two visits are important. “That’s why I’m taking the last two. I don’t know yet what it will come down to.” Lindsey is the No. 329 overall player in the country, the No. 30 defensive lineman in the country, and the No. 50 player in the state of Florida according to the On3 Industry Ranking.

Eric Nahlin: Decisions, decisions loom for a number of key Texas targets

Texas has been on a good recruiting run this month but the overall class could still be defined, both good or bad, by how the rest of the month unfolds. In recent weeks the program has climbed up to the No. 15 recruiting class in the country, but the following weeks will go a long way towards determining if it will be another Top 5 class.

Wednesday, July 12 – DL Melvin Hills

The Louisiana native released a Top 5 but IT believes it’s really two team race between Texas and Ole Miss. Hills would be a quality a piece a severe position of need.

Thursday, July 13 – DL Jayden Jackson

I have no clue how to handicap this recruitment between Texas, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, and Oklahoma. Maybe we’ll have a better idea in the days leading up to the decision.

Friday, July 14 – CB Selman Bridges

Bridges moved up his timeline from a late decision to rapidly approaching. Expect this one to go Arkansas’ way. Texas is not pushing as hard as the Razorbacks. From an earlier post:

• We’re expecting this to go in Arkansas’ favor. There’s a lot of confidence in Fayetteville. We heard his Texas official visit was just all right, but it was a little off-kilter due to his late Friday night arrival. Coming out of that visit we weren’t feeling great on Texas, citing his likely preference to be a No. 1 corner at Arkansas rather than just another really talented corner in the Texas class.
  • In addition to already having Santana Wilson committed, Texas is all in on Corian Gipson, Kobe Black, and Wardell Mack. Texas is in a very strong position to land 2-3 of the final three, and may even pull the sweep.

Friday, July 21 – DL D’antre Robinson

In my opinion Robinson is one of the most important players in the entire class. When you factor for need, his size and athleticism, and likely ability to offer early snaps as Texas enters the SEC, he’s a must get. Our picks are still on Texas over Florida.

Saturday, July 22- CB Corian Gipson

This recruitment is sort of taking on a life of its own due to conflicting predictions though you haven’t seen much conflicting reporting. Inside Texas and others at On3 have predictions in favor of Texas, meanwhile many at 247 have predictions for Clemson. I will say, I don’t think the ‘Texas’ read of this recruitment is reflected in 247’s reporting while certainly the ‘Clemson’ read is. I’ve heard nothing to make me consider changing my prediction in favor of the Longhorns.

We’re also on alert for potential July decisions from Edge Colin Simmons, Edge Zina Umeozulu, and DL TJ Lindsey. Texas leads for Simmons but if he takes visits to another school or two at the end of the month the lead could shrink a bit. Umeozulu is an Umeozulu so that recruitment could still have another plot twist in it. Or he could commit seconds after I post this. Texas leads. Lindsey told Gerry he plans to visit Texas and Auburn one final time the last week of July before making his decision.

Expect Texas to put more effort towards this one than it did for Malik Blocton who just picked Auburn. That isn’t to say Texas didn’t want Blocton. I like where Texas sits with Lindsey but I remember well Hugh Freezes’ days at Ole Miss. Buckle your chinstraps for this recruitment. Right now we do not expect a July decision from On3 Industry Ranking five-star Kobe Black, but Texas is definitely the team to beat.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

@RollingPresidential is simply being too binary in his position on “academics” in recruiting. There’s a gap between NW and Stanford and a guy weighting Texas or UF or UNC or Michigan higher than shitholes like LSU or Auburn. They could be looking at LSU, Auburn and Texas and ultimately decide that Texas is the best fit because of the academics. They don’t have to be exclusively looking at Stanford and Rice to be concerned about their future degree’s value. 

I am vividly remembering being in my high school IB physics class at U-High (known on this board as University Lab, the high school that is on the LSU campus), getting a bad grade on a test, and saying something like "If I don't fix my grades in this class I might end up at LSU." My classmates, 80% of which were matriculating to LSU, were very offended. I'm now a lawyer and my undergrad degree means jack shit, so bully for me I guess. 

I think what you've said is reasonable, I just don't think it really tips things in our favor as much as we say it does or has overwhelmed other stuff in the past. For an ex-NFLer, as most of these guys think they will be, what does their undergrad degree even mean?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I am vividly remembering being in my high school IB physics class at U-High (known on this board as University Lab, the high school that is on the LSU campus), getting a bad grade on a test, and saying something like "If I don't fix my grades in this class I might end up at LSU." My classmates, 80% of which were matriculating to LSU, were very offended. I'm now a lawyer and my undergrad degree means jack shit, so bully for me I guess. 

I think what you've said is reasonable, I just don't think it really tips things in our favor as much as we say it does or has overwhelmed other stuff in the past. For an ex-NFLer, as most of these guys think they will be, what does their undergrad degree even mean?

I had IB classes in HS too. You're the first person I've heard of (outside of my school) that had that too

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

It was an hour, and despite all those tits, still complete shit. Agony was being stuck at home as a small child on Saturday night with your alcoholic father and forced to watch a seemingly never-ending stream of Ernest Tubb, Porter Waggoner, Bill Anderson and fucking Hee-Haw.

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

Fucking KTVT. 

“It’s 10 o’clock. Do you know where your children are?”

Yeah, fucking ready to blow my brains out if I see Faron Young one more got damned time.

What were we talking about?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

It was an hour, and despite all those tits, still complete shit. Agony was being stuck at home as a small child on Saturday night with your alcoholic father and forced to watch a seemingly never-ending stream of Ernest Tubb, Porter Waggoner, Bill Anderson and fucking Hee-Haw.

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

Fucking KTVT. 

Yeah, fucking ready to blow my brains out if I see Faron Young one more got damned time.

Still better than Lawrence Welk

• Hook 'Em 7

16 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Ernest Tubb was a Texas hero.  

Not denying his chops or place in Texas music history, but he had a shitty TV show.

What is the story on Bridges? I thought he was a priority recruit

IT reported his visit was just OK, hindered by his late arrival due to a 7 on 7 tournament that weekend. So, “just OK,” along with Arky being all in on his recruitment, Texas perhaps prioritizing other guys and you have his apparent impending commitment to  the Hogs.

Here’s Nahlin’s take:

Spoiler

We're expecting this to go in Arkansas' favor. There's a lot of confidence in Fayetteville. We heard his Texas official visit was just all right, but it was a little off-kilter due to his late Friday night arrival. Coming out of that visit we weren't feeling great on Texas, citing his likely preference to be a No. 1 corner at Arkansas rather than just another really talented corner in the Texas class.

In addition to already having Santana Wilson committed, Texas is all in on Corian Gipson, Kobe Black, and Wardell Mack. Texas is in a very strong position to land 2-3 of the final three, and may even pull the sweep.

The info on Bridges just came out so we're investigating further, but right now the read is Arky.

And before you hit me with some sad faces, Texas was never going to land five stud corners.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

Fucking KTVT. 

But then you got to watch rasslin'. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

I had IB classes in HS too. You're the first person I've heard of (outside of my school) that had that too

Skipped the message you replied to because TLDR.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Irritable bowel classes?

This was my take, as well. I thought, that’s a shitty class.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yes, I have trauma 🤣

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

Hee-Haw was where I learned I love looking at cleavage.

At the time I was a little kid just trying to figure out all the differences between boys and girls. There wasn’t any sex education, especially in elementary school and my parents didn’t talk about stuff like that. But then I saw the Hee Haw Honeys and it all made perfect sense 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

In addition to already having Santana Wilson committed, Texas is all in on Corian Gipson, Kobe Black, and Wardell Mack. Texas is in a very strong position to land 2-3 of the final three, and may even pull the sweep.

That makes sense. 3-4 corners, assuming that we can get two of Corian Gipson, Kobe Black, and Wardell Mack. JJR at safety plus maybe Miles Davis and Joshua Lair (who seems more like a linebacker).

Simmons at DE. Plus, maybe Okoye and Zina.

McKinley, January, Lindsey, Hills, and possibly Jackson at DL.

We would still need 1 LB to complete the defense.

Still defense recruiting will be pretty elite.

Surprisingly, the offense is a little behind. We are a little bready/have too much yeast or more appropriately, we have too much hamburger helper at WR and we need Wingo badly. TE will take a step back after Ja'Tavion Sanders. The offensive line needs Baker or we risk a step down in talent after Banks. RB is as good as possible. QB is a good get a year after Manning.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls