Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has had numerous opportunities to really push for Bussey and they haven't. It will be chalked up as a recruiting loss, and I'm the first to call those out as legitimate when they happen, but this one is more of an eye-roller, similar to their "win" with Dre'lon Miller.

On OL, there is a higher likelihood in this cycle than others that they add other candidates in the fall.

See OL when it comes to LB. 

There is a high amount of confidence that they can get high quality players at DB and WR in the portals, I don't think there will be newcomers to those groups. You did leave out the CB Juco guy though and they are clearly interested in him.

Makes sense. TE was another position where I would think the HS number remains 1 and a portal addition is likely. 

Edge, OT and the last DL spot or two feel like the biggest needs heading into August (probably in that order). Hit on those and everywhere else can be supplemented with the portal, if needed.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Kelly may suck at recruiting, but Frank Wilson was considered a witch of a recruiter before, and I know I didn't like the idea of him operating for LSU. Either Wilson has lost a step, or Kelly is just that fucking bad. 

this was more cringe than anything tom herman ever did - including the kissing players and his grill.

rT89tJTzCYTRrvtv.jpg:large

they lost just an incredible amount of coaching and recruiting talent (Corey Raymond, Mickey Joseph), guys who they liked a ton (Kevin Faulk), dudes who had NFL skins on the wall (James Cregg) and a ton of goodwill in-state with Coach O.

now, who do they have that are actually rainmakers? Frank Wilson was for sure. and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Cortez Hankton is legit and the highest paid WR coach in CFB I think...but who else here is impressive recruiting wise or has experience in the South?

here was their staff last year. their QB coach doesn't even have a wiki even after being there for like 18 months, and spent 9 years at LaTech before the LSU. they already lost their 22 DL coach below, who went to the NFL and they replaced him with the DL coach from South Carolina. they demoted their ST coach (Polian) and replaced him with a guy who has never coached ST before, even though he has been a coach for 32 years. he does not impress

2022 coaches:

image.png.c1a109b438024cd9db3bda792879fa60.png

2023 coaches:

image.thumb.png.4257d6deba94f32c52c3e7208adf4a1c.png

small side note, but the jump from Corey Raymond to Robert Steeples has to be the largest recruiting downgrade in coaches maybe ever.

image.png.49cf2677a8721345aead9a494b08a857.png

• Hook 'Em 3

LSU just had another cornerback commit. That’s their 4th corner and 6th DB overall in this class. I’m sure they’d gladly ditch one for Mack, but taking this many already may reveal something about what they think their chances are with him.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, NoName said:

this was more cringe than anything tom herman ever did - including the kissing players and his grill.

rT89tJTzCYTRrvtv.jpg:large

they lost just an incredible amount of coaching and recruiting talent (Corey Raymond, Mickey Joseph), guys who they liked a ton (Kevin Faulk), dudes who had NFL skins on the wall (James Cregg) and a ton of goodwill in-state with Coach O.

now, who do they have that are actually rainmakers? Frank Wilson was for sure. and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Cortez Hankton is legit and the highest paid WR coach in CFB I think...but who else here is impressive recruiting wise or has experience in the South?

here was their staff last year. their QB coach doesn't even have a wiki even after being there for like 18 months, and spent 9 years at LaTech before the LSU. they already lost their 22 DL coach below, who went to the NFL and they replaced him with the DL coach from South Carolina. they demoted their ST coach (Polian) and replaced him with a guy who has never coached ST before, even though he has been a coach for 32 years. he does not impress

2022 coaches:

image.png.c1a109b438024cd9db3bda792879fa60.png

2023 coaches:

image.thumb.png.4257d6deba94f32c52c3e7208adf4a1c.png

small side note, but the jump from Corey Raymond to Robert Steeples has to be the largest recruiting downgrade in coaches maybe ever.

image.png.49cf2677a8721345aead9a494b08a857.png

Good post. Wilson is the only LSU coach with Louisiana bona fides. I can’t speak to their recruiting staff. Curious hiring decision. Wilson can’t run triage for the other coaches + Kelly. He has to keep Harlem Berry home and coach his position. 

It’s early, and they might be fine, but LSU isn’t getting their usual instate/Katrina expat layups. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

The Huddle: Six biggest remaining priorities on offense

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Six biggest remaining priorities on offense

Hudson Standish

With the 2023 football season only 38 days away I decided to take a look at the six biggest remaining recruitments for Texas, with updates on where the Longhorns currently stand with these priority prospects.

1. Ryan Wingo, WR, St. Louis (MO) University

247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong summed up the latest in Wingo's recruitment in a recent conversation with Hank South earlier this week. “What else I like about Texas’ recruiting class is the possibility of where it could go moving forward. They’re in on some elite guys. Ryan Wingo, although that’s going to be a battle with Missouri when all is said and done," said Wiltfong. Wingo will announce his commitment on December 20th, the first day of the early signing period, so there is plenty of time for significant movement in this battle.

2. Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei

Oregon and Texas have been the two schools mentioned the most recently but Ohio State is still a serious contender to land the five-star and 247Sports top overall offensive tackle for the class of 2024. Kyle Flood has done a tremendous job in this recruitment and has a legitimate chance of finding Kelvin Banks' eventual replacement at left tackle in Baker but sources on the west coast have remained confident that Dan Lanning and Oregon currently have the edge.

3. Micah Hudson, WR, Lake Belton

The five-star wideout has been penciled in as a Texas Tech lean for quite some time but after a lot of noise surrounding a potential decision being made in late June is still uncommitted as we approach August. Hudson is a legitimate possibility to show up at Texas A&M's recruiting event this weekend and according to a source still plans to use official visits in the fall to a number of schools. *So you're telling me there is a chance.GIF*

4. DeAndre Carter, OL, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei

Texas will get their best shot with Carter when he takes his official visit to Austin on September 30th for the Kansas game. The No. 1 ranked IOL in the country is also high on Michigan State, Auburn, and USC.

5. Terry Bussey, ATH, Timpson

Texas made a significant move with Bussey on the official visit weekend in late June, vaulting from outside of his top schools to a legitimate contender. The issue for the Longhorns is that it might have been too little too late for the five-star and the second-ever junior to win Mr. Texas Football Player of the Year alongside Kyler Murray. Texas will need to hope Bussey sticks to his late October timeline and get the five-star on campus again before he makes his decision to stay in the fight. Bussey will make a return trip to Texas A&M this weekend and the Aggies hold the crystal ball lead with three picks.

1. Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville

I decided to add one rising junior prospect to this list and Moore was the clear and obvious choice. The No. 5 player in the country has already racked up over 30 starts for 6A powerhouse Duncanville over the past two years and is one of the more complete wide receiver prospects in recent memory pairing elite production with truly special athletism backed up on the track. Texas started off in a tough spot due to inconsistent communication with Moore and his family, but Chris Jackson and Steve Sarkisian have made up all of that ground and then some this offseason with a number of sources believing the Longhorns are in the driver's seat for the five-star.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well no shit Codaxx, that's why they're still hot after Lindsey and McKinley.

Since you argued that Texas recruited well the 3 prior years at DT, I assumed you did not think there was a need to recruit players that can immediately play in the rotation. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That is the fucking moron that thinks Moore was a horrible take by Sarkisian.

Just to play devil's advocate, Moore hasn't played a snap yet so it's not like he's been proven wrong so far

Edited by Viper

22 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Well, it’s a little different — Sark was coming off year 1 at 5-7, and Jimbo is coming off 5-7 in year 5… Any coach at a blue blood gets a significant recruiting bounce in year 2 regardless of record (ex: Charlie Strong, Venables)

5-7 in year five… advantage A&M.

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I thought it was always the case that the door was open. I have no doubt Sarkisian wants Patterson's input.

Yeah, barring some behind the scenes infighting that hasn't been reported, I'd say give that man a blank check.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I'm Patterson, I'm making this my forever job. Ask for 250k per year, check in about mid-August, check out after the bowl game. No recruiting. Time to jam on his guitar in the Live Music Capital of the World etc... 

That’s $250k well spent — even if he only contributes to game plans for Bama and for TCU…
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Just FYI - per FCB:

image.thumb.png.1ee46e95a6ebb759d8e7b3ffb94347da.png

So if 5 days come and go and there is no announcement, then it's "yea, that didn't pan out.  But just wait until I tell you something else that may or may not happen in the next 5 days.  Keep clicking hte website and checking in to see if it happens."

If you read FCB's actual article it sure sounds like he's not basing this on any actual info and is only using the quote from Patterson when he left where he said he might give Sark a call if he was bored in August.  It's most likely bs for clicks.

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If you read FCB's actual article it sure sounds like he's not basing this on any actual info and is only using the quote from Patterson when he left where he said he might give Sark a call if he was bored in August.  It's most likely bs for clicks.

I really hope there's more to it than that. I don't think Patterson's been given enough credit for the drastic improvement the defense made last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know what difference Patterson did or didn’t make, but I’m sure that having a great defensive mind like that giving input was a good thing. Hope he’ll re-join the staff.

A 5 month rental every fall would be perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What're you basing this on, exactly? Because as far as I can tell, a healthy chunk of this website have been more than happy to give Patterson literally the entire credit of last year's defense. Including our resident Texag/Football board types wailing and gnashing their teeth at the Satya style impending doom that they clearly believe is headed for our defense this season without Patterson. I'm not sure how some people can possibly give Patterson more credit for last year's defense short of dropping to their knees and taking ole Gare fully into their mouth like @TheMailBox357 does an Orangeblood podcast. As an aside, I'll let the rest of you figure out what that makes the hawt takes he spits on this board.

Anyway, I'll give Patterson credit for helping with some great fucking gameplans in big games, and helping our defense find some cohesion and identity, and being a good practice presence. Of course I believe he was a net positive. But I also think a net positive was good coaching with multiple years in the same fucking defensive scheme. And specifically good coaching overcoming bad fucking habits from Tom Herman leftovers. And finding cohesion in a lot of coaches who'd never worked together before. In short, the truth is somehwere in the middle, and I'm pretty bullish on the *CHANCE* for our defense to continue to take another step forward this season even without Fat Gare. 

But who knows, maybe we fall flat on our fucking faces without Gary and it's all D'Shawn Jamison deep against Tech. And yeah, I'd love to have him back doing nothing but gameplanning Alabama, OU, TCU and K-State. 

Well in games that our defense played well it was 100% Patterson involvement and in games we played poorly it was because we let PK take the reigns. 

/s

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls