Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because he was playing safety this year for his HS team. He's a CB at the next level.

He's like 6'2 200 already. His recovery speed is questionable as well. We'll see where his body takes him. Wouldn't be the worst thing to see him become a safety/nickel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He's like 6'2 200 already. His recovery speed is questionable as well. We'll see where his body takes him. Wouldn't be the worst thing to see him become a safety/nickel. 

He was literally moved there because he plays at a small school and he would be more effective there at that level. You're way overthinking this. Texas is recruiting him to play corner, only.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cool. How big is Ryan Watts?

Because we've done something in the past, doesn't mean we'll always do something in the future. I understand your point though.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He was literally moved there because he plays at a small school and he would be more effective there at that level. You're way overthinking this. Texas is recruiting him to play corner, only.

I'm not overthinking anything. He's a big kid, and I'd love for him to play corner and be a standout there. Where he is recruited and where he ends up being effective aren't always the same thing.

Hopefully he has a good career at Texas playing corner, if that's where he ends up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Because we've done something in the past, doesn't mean we'll always do something in the future. I understand your point though.

I'm not overthinking anything. He's a big kid, and I'd love for him to play corner and be a standout there. Where he is recruited and where he ends up being effective aren't always the same thing.

Hopefully he has a good career at Texas playing corner, if that's where he ends up.

It would be great, if Texas started to collect the type of talent to be able move someone like Kobe Black inside. Given his size and athleticism, Nickel seems a like a great fit.. Either way it doesnt matter, you get a kid like that on campus and let his body figure out where he is going to end up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Is there a reason 247 often mentions Kobe Black as a Safety instead of a CB?

they qualify him as a safety

image.png.efbc1a1fd034a805f83729e4ba7c6fc6.png

on3 has him as a CB, ESPN has him as a CB and Rivals has him as a CB

image.png.02b784c3e5251551fdea9bccaa5341c5.png

he calls himself a CB, he's being recruited as a CB...

here is his scouting report on 247 which calls him a safety

image.png.598c4dde90dbf3fffd74345ca4826baa.png

its weird. someone should ask the 247 guys to expand on why he's classified that way

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He is being specifically recruited to replace Watts. So, it does mean they want to do something in the future.

I would not bet on that. Coaches are doing their job and pointing out that a starter is leaving and a spot is open. I am not convinced that Brooks (Field) and Muhammad (Boundary) will stay at their specific positions. Black is a big bodied CB, that is either a boundary or will slide inside. Wilson, Mack, and Black will likely all start at CB, but it is highly unlikely they all stay there.  There is no reason to get get caught up about specific positions now.  I would love for Texas to get back to the days of Akina, when the safeties had CB skills.. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Top247 WR Drelon Miller considering several options
The recruitment for Top247 WR Drelon Miller is getting hectic as new schools enter the race and the timeline is stretching out
Mike Roach (247 Sports)

(" ... Texas has been in contact as well, and Miller could set up a visit to Austin in the next month.")

Spoiler

The recruitment for Top247 WR Drelon Miller is getting hectic as new schools enter the race and the timeline is stretching out
Mike Roach (247 Sports)

Drelon Miller will take an official visit to Colorado this weekend, but the race for the Top247 wide receiver out of Silsbee (Texas) is just heating up. Miller is one of the top uncommitted players remaining in the state of Texas.

Miller chose Texas A&M over the summer, but he decommitted from the Aggies during the fall season amid team struggles that ultimately led to the firing of head coach Jimbo Fisher. Colorado made a push from that point on and hosted Miller on an unofficial visit when the Buffs hosted Oregon State. Colorado will try to make a big push this weekend during the official visit.

At 6-feet, 190 pounds, Miller is ranked as the No. 14 wide receiver in the nation and No. 12 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports. 247Sports caught up with sources near the recruitment to hear the latest on where things stood with Miller. With the early signing period approaching and more schools entering the race, there may be a change in plans for the four-star All-American.

A source near Miller said that Ohio State recently entered the picture, and the family is coordinating with the Buckeyes for a possible future visit. LSU and USC have been long-time contenders and remain in the race as well. As previously reported, Texas has been in contact as well, and Miller could set up a visit to Austin in the next month.

Texas A&M remains in the race following his decommitment, but the source we spoke with indicated that Miller is in a holding pattern with Texas A&M until he sees how Mike Elko's offensive staff comes together in College Station. Once those hires are made, I wouldn't rule out a return visit for Miller to Aggieland.

The biggest change could be in Miller's decision timeframe. He was previously slated to enroll early at the college level, but the sources we spoke with indicated Miller is leaning toward staying in high school and playing his final high school basketball season. With that in mind, the timeline for Miller could stretch to February's National Signing Day and extend his visits through the month of January.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

For reference

All-Big 12 Football Team

Offense

QB: Dillon Gabriel, Oklahoma *

RB: Ollie Gordon, Oklahoma State *

RB: Tahj Brooks, Texas Tech

FB/TE: Ben Sinnott, Kansas State

WR: Drake Stoops, Oklahoma *

WR: Xavier Worthy, Texas

WR: Javon Baker, UCF

OL: Zach Frazier, West Virginia *

OL: Cooper Beebe, Kansas State *

OL: Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

OL: Patrick Paul, Houston

OL: Luke Kandra, Cincinnati

Defense

DL: T’Vondre Sweat, Texas *

DL: Byron Murphy, Texas

DL: Nelson Ceasar, Houston *

DL: Tre’Mon Morris-Brash, UCF

LB: Danny Stutsman, Oklahoma *

LB: Nickolas Martin, Oklahoma State *

LB: Jaylan Ford, Texas

LB: Jason Johnson, UCF

DB: Jeremiah Cooper, Iowa State *

DB: Billy Bowman, Oklahoma

DB: Beanie Bishop Jr., West Virginia

DB: Eddie Heckard, BYU

DB: TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Special Teams

K: Burt Auburn, Texas*

P: Austin McNamara, Texas Tech

KR/PR: Matthew Golden, Houston

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

For reference

All-Big 12 Football Team

Offense

QB: Dillon Gabriel, Oklahoma *

RB: Ollie Gordon, Oklahoma State *

RB: Tahj Brooks, Texas Tech

FB/TE: Ben Sinnott, Kansas State

WR: Drake Stoops, Oklahoma *

WR: Xavier Worthy, Texas

WR: Javon Baker, UCF

OL: Zach Frazier, West Virginia *

OL: Cooper Beebe, Kansas State *

OL: Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

OL: Patrick Paul, Houston

OL: Luke Kandra, Cincinnati

Defense

DL: T’Vondre Sweat, Texas *

DL: Byron Murphy, Texas

DL: Nelson Ceasar, Houston *

DL: Tre’Mon Morris-Brash, UCF

LB: Danny Stutsman, Oklahoma *

LB: Nickolas Martin, Oklahoma State *

LB: Jaylan Ford, Texas

LB: Jason Johnson, UCF

DB: Jeremiah Cooper, Iowa State *

DB: Billy Bowman, Oklahoma

DB: Beanie Bishop Jr., West Virginia

DB: Eddie Heckard, BYU

DB: TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Special Teams

K: Burt Auburn, Texas*

P: Austin McNamara, Texas Tech

KR/PR: Matthew Golden, Houston

Neither Banks nor Sanders are listed 

• Hook 'Em 2

Same as last year, Big 12 shafted us by giving CotY to Gundy instead of Sark. People love to talk about how Gundy had to deal with various problems and led Okie Lite out of a rough patch to reach the Big 12 title game... but never mention how most of those problems were of his own doing.

Had to deal with losing multiple transfers? No one asked Gundy to drive off half his roster with OANN bullshit.

Had to come back from a 2-2 start? No one asked Gundy to get throttled by South Alabama and UCF. How the fuck do you lose to a C-USA team and win CotY? Absolute embarrassment.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

The dogshit was of his own making because he ran so many players off.

Not saying he didnt, but this isnt a good OSU team. OSU has no business being in the Big 12 Championship game with their overall talent.  Texas should be there, so I have 0 issues that Gundy got it over Sark. 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach (247 Sports)

(" ... Texas has been in contact as well, and Miller could set up a visit to Austin in the next month.")

Hide contents

Mike Roach (247 Sports)

Drelon Miller will take an official visit to Colorado this weekend, but the race for the Top247 wide receiver out of Silsbee (Texas) is just heating up. Miller is one of the top uncommitted players remaining in the state of Texas.

Miller chose Texas A&M over the summer, but he decommitted from the Aggies during the fall season amid team struggles that ultimately led to the firing of head coach Jimbo Fisher. Colorado made a push from that point on and hosted Miller on an unofficial visit when the Buffs hosted Oregon State. Colorado will try to make a big push this weekend during the official visit.

At 6-feet, 190 pounds, Miller is ranked as the No. 14 wide receiver in the nation and No. 12 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports. 247Sports caught up with sources near the recruitment to hear the latest on where things stood with Miller. With the early signing period approaching and more schools entering the race, there may be a change in plans for the four-star All-American.

A source near Miller said that Ohio State recently entered the picture, and the family is coordinating with the Buckeyes for a possible future visit. LSU and USC have been long-time contenders and remain in the race as well. As previously reported, Texas has been in contact as well, and Miller could set up a visit to Austin in the next month.

Texas A&M remains in the race following his decommitment, but the source we spoke with indicated that Miller is in a holding pattern with Texas A&M until he sees how Mike Elko's offensive staff comes together in College Station. Once those hires are made, I wouldn't rule out a return visit for Miller to Aggieland.

The biggest change could be in Miller's decision timeframe. He was previously slated to enroll early at the college level, but the sources we spoke with indicated Miller is leaning toward staying in high school and playing his final high school basketball season. With that in mind, the timeline for Miller could stretch to February's National Signing Day and extend his visits through the month of January.

From my understanding Miller was never an early enrollee. He's been the PG at Silsbee since his freshman year and they are ranked #2 in the state. The NIL guys here might know more about this but I have heard Texas has made an offer to Miller.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Great post. And now I'm confused that I find myself agreeing with everything you said, when I fully expected a long winded explanation of how Gundy did a superior coaching job to Sark this season for the opposite of all the things you said. 

The new version of Wi-Fi is called Wi-Fi 6 because rules don't matter |  TechCrunch

Angry satyanash > Debbie Downer satyanash

• Hook 'Em 5