Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The fool: I shall go to central market at 5:00 the Friday before Christmas weekend, surely it shan’t be crowded and out of items. 

The wise man: I went to Costco 2 weeks ago and purchased all the presents, clothing, and food I shall need for all winter. 

It wasn't that bad honestly other than the complete moron at the deli counter when I was trying to order a 1/3 pound of Prosciutto de Parma for the Beef Wellington. She didn't look happy when I asked for a half pound at first, then said a 1/3 would do. How did I want it sliced? The usual. The "test" slice she brought me was like a slice of deli ham. I told her that was way too thick. She wasn't pleased then went back over and sliced and sliced and sliced. I was about to ask how much she was slicing because it seemed like WAY more than 1/3 pound and then she was wrapping it up. She came back over with 0.955 pounds of prosciutto. Man, I love the stuff but I didn't need $33 worth of prosciutto this evening. I just took it and walked to the check-out line. Serenity now! Insanity later!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Elko notched an overwhelming recruiting victory, successfully retaining more than 10% of the blue-chip recruits committed to his school. At this rate, his rivals may have utterly failed to complete the destruction of aggy football for at least another month.

And Evans didn't even "sign" today, right? He just said he's keeping his commitment to aggy and will sign in Feb? Lot can happen between now and then anyways.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It wasn't that bad honestly other than the complete moron at the deli counter when I was trying to order a 1/3 pound of Prosciutto de Parma for the Beef Wellington. She didn't look happy when I asked for a half pound at first, then said a 1/3 would do. How did I want it sliced? The usual. The "test" slice she brought me was like a slice of deli ham. I told her that was way too thick. She wasn't pleased then went back over and sliced and sliced and sliced. I was about to ask how much she was slicing because it seemed like WAY more than 1/3 pound and then she was wrapping it up. She came back over with 0.955 pounds of prosciutto. Man, I love the stuff but I didn't need $33 worth of prosciutto this evening. I just took it and walked to the check-out line. Serenity now! Insanity later!

First world problems.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And Evans didn't even "sign" today, right? He just said he's keeping his commitment to aggy and will sign in Feb? Lot can happen between now and then anyways.

aggy world problems.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Niles, is that you? 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Hi Ketch

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, murphysbackup said:

I rewatched the Alamo Bowl and 4 games this year.  Please let Anthony Hill just run spy on Penix and rb's.  The rest will take care of itself with our talent.  

He was sure over running a lot of gap assignments early on. Not that he’s not a badass, just can’t make mistakes versus this O. Hope you’re right. 

3 hours ago, murphysbackup said:

I rewatched the Alamo Bowl and 4 games this year.  Please let Anthony Hill just run spy on Penix and rb's.  The rest will take care of itself with our talent.  

Are you afraid of Penix’ -18 rushing yards for 2023 or team rushing of team rushing of 125yds/gm?

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Hi Ketch

“I want all the ham.”

4 hours ago, murphysbackup said:

Why do you want to spy one of the most immobile QBs Texas will have faced all year?  Christ. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed. On3 has him about three tiers below everyone else as a prospect. 

Now that the major programs have their own in-house scouting staffs, do industry ranks really mean anything(other than their value as assemblers of consensus)? Aren’t they kind of like ESPN ratings of NFL drafts?

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like you need a new ham guy.

• Haha 4

Are you afraid of Penix’ -18 rushing yards for 2023 or team rushing of team rushing of 125yds/gm?

Why do you want to spy one of the most immobile QBs Texas will have faced all year?  Christ. 

This always happens on this board and it will never not be funny
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, murphysbackup said:

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“I want all the ham.”

If by “spy” you mean send Hill on myriad blitz looks to mudhole him all night, I agree. 

Attack that 275-pound center with our DTs and send a DE or LB through that gap, collapse the pocket, and pressure Penix until UW shows they can beat it. Then send it off the edge and mix and match when they adjust. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Are you guys talking about letting Dallas Turner just illegally cheap shot a QB and knock him out of the game? I’d like to see one of his opponents square up on his knee and bend it in backwards, thus ending his football career. If it happened on TV, I’d be howling. If I’m in person in Houston, I will be hooting and clapping as loud as I can. I’d hope he could hear my shrill cackling in the quiet of the stadium as they fit his deformed mess of a leg inside an air cast and loaded him onto a cart. 

That was what I inferred. It’s definitely what I was talking about. And I agree with the solution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’m no industry expert, but I like Butler’s DB film better than his WR film.

DB film is solid, but he doesn't have the build for it. 5'11ish and shorter arms.

He's slight, but his best asset is his competitiveness. Quick/fast enough and plays tough as hell.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are you guys talking about letting Dallas Turner just illegally cheap shot a QB and knock him out of the game? I’d like to see one of his opponents square up on his knee and bend it in backwards, thus ending his football career. If it happened on TV, I’d be howling. If I’m in person in Houston, I will be hooting and clapping as loud as I can. I’d hope he could hear my shrill cackling in the quiet of the stadium as they fit his deformed mess of a leg inside an air cast and loaded him onto a cart. 

jesus christ GIF

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s all I’m saying. We’ve established our bona fides, so not consuming our collective smartness would be gross negligence. We shouldn’t have to take the step of direct communication. 

Someone should use ChatGPT to sum up all of our takes, and send them to Sark weekly, if not daily.

😄

• Hook 'Em 2

There is no way to make a perfect track conversion, but here's the way I break this stuff down.
Receivers with this kids' build typically improve on their 40 times around 0.2 seconds per year in high school. But Butler only has two times posted. The time of year also factors into this. Athletes run better times in the summer. Anyway, he improved by 0.3 seconds from his sophomore to junior year. If we conservatively give him a 0.2-second improvement in his senior season, that puts him at 10.9 100 meters. 
A 10.9 converts to a 4.54 forty-yard dash. It's not a perfect conversion, but it's worth noting.
He posted a 7.07 60-meter time. That converts to a 4.43 forty-yard dash.
If you watch his tape, look at his frame, and take into account that the kid isn't a full-time track star, it's easy to see he could improve his speed in college. It's easy to speculate he's faster than his limited track times.
He shows excellent balance and field vision on film.
Many on here thought Deandre Moore was slow, but I remember looking into that last year. His 100-meter conversion put him at 4.55 in the forty with a running back frame. That is on the high end of what I would call an acceptable time, especially for a physical slot.
In the Herman and Strong tenure, we recruited "4-star" receivers who couldn't break 4.7 in the forty. That's a very big problem, especially if they don't have size. These recruiting services have no idea what they're doing.

247 has a reported 200 at 21.93 which would convert to a 10.88 100, so your 10.9 estimate is spot on.
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

This reminds me of the cohort here that was insisting that Sanders should play DE and not TE.  

A game changing DE is more impactful than a great TE. It is not a crazy opinion. 

Edit: Only 1 beer in today so cant spell well until like 5 at least

Edited by MisterP
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What a freak. I’d like to see Dallas pile drive you on somebody’s luxury SUV windshield in the parking lot. After a Texas win of course. 

2 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

Someone should use ChatGPT to sum up all of our takes, and send them to Sark weekly, if not daily.

😄

You know how many old guys I know who send Sark and Herman before him and Strong before him and Mack before him physical letters weekly during the season?

There are two I know of. But I can't imagine how many the coaches get sent to them. Texas has a lot of old dudes who think their voice matter way more than it does.

I can only imagine the scathing letters CTJ probably sends.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

You know how many old guys I know who send Sark and Herman before him and Strong before him and Mack before him physical letters weekly during the season?

There are two I know of. But I can't imagine how many the coaches get sent to them. Texas has a lot of old dudes who think their voice matter way more than it does.

Sternly worded? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

Probably won't make it since it will be addressed to esteban