Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Was Fong'd to LSU back in the summer, but no other picks.  Has been pro-Texas at times on social media and visited for TCU game this year.  Maybe OU game as well?

Other than Cam Williams, we have no one on our entire team or this recruiting cycle from Duncanville, so let's hope he can get us an "in" with this dude. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

So now that the 2023 class is pretty much wrapped up, what are we thinking in terms of priorities for the 2024 class?

QB - 1, but it's likely not going to be a blue chip prospect with Arch in the fold.

RB - 1 or 2?

WR - 2 or 3?  I know Micha Hudson is a priority.  Hunter Moddon is already in the fold.

TE - 1 or 2?

OL - 4 or 5?

EDGE - 2 or 3?  Collin Simmons is the #1 target in the entire 2024 class for me.  Neto's younger brother seems like a recruitment we should win.

DL - 2 or 3?

LB - 2?

CB - 2?  Kobe Black should be a priority.  Jaden Allen is already committed.

S - 2?

K - 1?

Aside from the guys I mentioned, I'm not super familiar with the 2024 class yet.  Am I off on anything in terms of the number of targets we should be looking for at a particular position?

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

So now that the 2023 class is pretty much wrapped up, what are we thinking in terms of priorities for the 2024 class?

QB - 1, but it's likely not going to be a blue chip prospect with Arch in the fold.

RB - 1 or 2?

WR - 2 or 3?  I know Micha Hudson is a priority.  Hunter Moddon is already in the fold.

TE - 1 or 2?

OL - 4 or 5?

EDGE - 2 or 3?  Collin Simmons is the #1 target in the entire 2024 class for me.  Neto's younger brother seems like a recruitment we should win.

DL - 2 or 3?

LB - 2?

CB - 2?  Kobe Black should be a priority.  Jaden Allen is already committed.

S - 2?

K - 1?

Aside from the guys I mentioned, I'm not super familiar with the 2024 class yet.  Am I off on anything in terms of the number of targets we should be looking for at a particular position?

Need three DL and five DB's I would think.  Cherry pick at LB and go all in for Simmons and Zina at EDGE.  Big game hunting at RB, three WR's, keep stacking OL.  Cruz seems to be the big OL priority for Flood.

• Hook 'Em 1

I expect Texas to go big across the board in this class outside of QB. I'll be surprised if isn't a big class with a ton of star power, provided Texas isn't shitting the bed on the field during the season. 
25 guys:
QB (1) - I am interested to see how they frame up their targets at QB in this cycle. Seems like a mystery right now.
TB (2) - Is Brooks good enough to have a big year and go pro? Maybe. I will be surprised if there isn't attrition in some way. Maybe Wisner switches positions? Regardless, they like to use a stable of backs, so I assume the approach to this cycle - take the biggest talent you can find and then find a guy that complements him and the roster.
TE (2) - I guess I might adjust this if Duce Robinson somehow signs in Feb. Sanders could easily go pro after next year. Does Juan Davis decide to move on at some point? I have to assume Liebrock eventually runs out of eligibility. They seem to like having one in-line guy and several guys they can flex, so I'm guessing they're always going to want 5-6 on the roster.
WR (3) - Worthy, Whittington, and Neyor will all for sure be gone. That leaves you with the 2 incoming FR, Red, Thompson, and, if we're to believe it, Cain and Alexis. I assume of the 2 transfers in this cycle at WR that they're targeting, they think is a multi-year guy. That gives you 7 WRs for 2024. I doubt they're all here then, so 3 incoming freshmen seems more likely than less than that. 
OL (4) - Without anyone leaving, Texas has 16 OLs for 2023. They'll all be eligible to return for 2024. Let's assume 3 leave for whatever reason - PT, injury, you name it. Seems like keeping the number each year between 16-18 is the staff's desire. I would expect that they're going to go after really big names across the country at this spot. You can argue to any recruit that they'll get a development year and then be as ready as anyone to start once the upperclassmen leave after their freshman year.
IDL (3) - They'll have Mitchell, Murphy, Bledsoe, Ross, Broughton and Bryant coming back for 2024 without any attrition. We all know there will be attrition here, so let's call it 2 guys. There is a sentiment that they need to land guys that Clemson, Georgia and Bama are targeting in this next cycle and anything below that will be troubling.
DE/Edge/Whatever the fuck (2) - There will be like 11 guys coming back in 2024 for the jack and buck roles. Some of those guys will leave early for PT. Still, with that many guys, I assume Davis likes his options. More than 2 in this cycle would surprise me, but maybe when I think about this more in the spring I'll see it differently.
LB (3) - I like what they're doing at LB, but they're going to need to keep building depth here. Athletic LBs also tend be really helpful on special teams even if they're young and behind on the depth chart. Coming back for the 2024 will be, apparently, Trevell Johnson, Derrick Brown, Hill, Burrell, and Lefau. I assume Ford goes pro then if he doesn't now. That's terrible depth so they'll also do something in the portal. Still, 3 guys in the 2024 class seems straightforward. 
CB (2) - Texas has a lot of guys returning, on paper, for the 2024 season in the secondary. We're absolutely going to witness attrition in these spots.
NB (1)
S (2)

Wow. Thanks for this detail!

I think about recruiting needs in terms of building position groups over time that are elite and capable of winning it all. I haven't seen the latest projected 2024 roster, but if I were to just wing it and guess which positions have playoff quality talent:

QB - Yes (Manning)

RB - Yes (Baxter)

WR - Potentially (Brennan, Cook, etc)

OL - Yes (Banks, etc)

TE - No because Sanders will be gone; maybe if Duce signs

DE/eDGE/Whatever the fuck - No; need to see young guys play but I'm skeptical

IDL - Probably not, hard to tell until we see young guys play

CB - Maybe (Muhammed, ?)

S - Maybe (Williams, ?)

LB - Maybe (Hill, young guys TBD)

Despite the #'s on the roster at each position, if they want national championship quality I would think DE/eDGE/WTF, IDL, S and TE are important position group gaps. 

IT has been mentioning Peyton Woodyard a lot lately, ex-teammates with Deandre Moore at Bosco. He’s announcing his commitment at the All American game in a couple weeks, and IT thinks Texas is at the top of his list even though we didn’t make his top 7 (he’s fong’d to Georgia right now.) Nahlin a few days ago said to watch All American game announcements even beyond Jelani McDonald. 
https://www.on3.com/db/peyton-woodyard-96352/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dbeasy said:

I think about recruiting needs in terms of building position groups over time that are elite and capable of winning it all. I haven't seen the latest projected 2024 roster, but if I were to just wing it and guess which positions have playoff quality talent:

QB - Yes (Manning)

RB - Yes (Baxter)

OL - Yes (Banks, etc)

CB - Maybe (Muhammed, ?)

S - Maybe (Williams, ?)

Despite the #'s on the roster at each position, if they want national championship quality I would think DE/eDGE/WTF, IDL, S and TE are important position group gaps. 

Don't sleep on Sydir Mitchell. Seems he was the first DL on our board, as well as Georgia's.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dbeasy said:

QB - Yes (Manning)

RB - Yes (Baxter)

OL - Yes (Banks, etc)

CB - Maybe (Muhammed, ?)

S - Maybe (Williams, ?)

Just crazy to think that this is our best collection of talent in 10+ years, AND Georgia and Alabama stack guys at this level 2 and sometimes 3 deep.  That's what it's going to take now that they're literally conference foes.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:46 AM, Dbeasy said:

QB - Yes (Manning)

RB - Yes (Baxter)

OL - Yes (Banks, etc)

CB - Maybe (Muhammed, ?)

S - Maybe (Williams, ?)

Savion Red is going to be a dude. He's got playoff quality dawg in him

Edited by cashman

43 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Could anyone recap our Running Back offers for 2024? Who are we prioritizing??

#1 on the board. Choice has been prioritizing for a while. All the usual suspects involved. IMG curse looming large. https://247sports.com/player/jerrick-gibson-46111862/

Probably the top in-state option. We just offered earlier this month I believe. https://247sports.com/player/taylor-tatum-46109368/

Offered this guy over the summer. From San Antonio https://247sports.com/player/james-peoples-46118013/

Just made this guys top 5. Listed as an ATH but plays RB in high school. https://247sports.com/player/bryan-jackson-46102534/

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:17 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

January kid looks pretty good in the state game.

Good family. Dad is still a big advocate for Texas program.  Older brother went to Bishop Lynch and is at SMU.  Younger brother went to Duncanville instead of BL or Bishop Dunne solely for the Panther's football program. Texas would definitely have the inside-track if and when it comes to that.

• Hook 'Em 2

it's obviously early but comparing some 2023 vs 2024 class rankings in 247 Composite as of today

2023 totals: https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

• State of Texas has 4 in the top 25
  • 6 in the top 50
  • 11 in the top 75
  • 21 in the top 100
  • 36 in the top 200
  • 45 in the top 250

2024 totals: https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

• State of Texas has 3 in the top 25
  • 7 in the top 50
  • 10 in the top 75
  • 15 in the top 100
  • 29 in the top 200
  • 34 in the top 250
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

#1 on the board. Choice has been prioritizing for a while. All the usual suspects involved. IMG curse looming large. https://247sports.com/player/jerrick-gibson-46111862/

Not long ago we were in his top three with UGA and Tennessee.  Looked on Volnation, and someone posted from a Tennessee mod that the Vols staff has basically screwed up his recruitment, so who knows?  Kid did visit aggy for the LSU game.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls