Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

This. 

YT premium is different that YYTV.

The first just being an upgraded YT. Same thing. 

Whereas YTTV is a full streaming cable service. 

You're almost right.

YouTube Premium also includes YouTube Music, one of only two streaming services that let you upload, and later stream, your own songs. (That I know of.) YouTube Music is also where Google Podcasts is going to end up.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:11 AM, markstanco said:

Bored and looking at the heisman website of the top 10 votes over the last 30 years and playing the game of where they played college ball. Fun game, you should try it.

I did not realize that in 2021 Alabama had the Heisman winner, the number 3 vote getter, and number 5. Devonta won, Mac jones 3, and Najee harris 5.

3 players who are the qb,wr,and rb were all top 5 in heisman voting. Holy shit.

Yeah. Whoever was running that O must have been a savant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I had a linkedin view this morning apparently.  From a guy whose top group affinity is "Oath Keepers."  It reminded me that you don't see that on linkedin-stuff like Oath Keppers, Proud Bois/Boys, III % or whatever the fuck that one is.  I have a few political organizations/think tanks listed but they are legitimate and for business purposes and are established.  I don't pay much attention to those of others but when an "Oath Keeper" starts lurking around my profile, made me realize it's not what people embellish on their profiles, it's what they purposely omit.  Surely I know more of these guys than I realize.  He's in Ohio though, so I guess we can't hang out this weekend.    

The back door to our house in mostly window. I was checking emails this morning and was startled by a loud “thump”. I went to look and saw a bird lying motionless on the patio. I watched it for a couple of minutes and it didn’t move at all. I figured it was dead and went to grab a bag from the house to put it in to make sure it goes out with the trash this morning. Well, when I came back the bird had regained consciousness and flew off. I watched it fly a little ways happy that it was ok. Later, I went to check the rain gauge and noticed a big pile of feathers in the yard. I guess the bird was still resting when a neighborhood cat wanted a quick snack.

3d9bb74318d9f0ede49d27b1d6a8349d.jpg

• Like 2

I wished a former classmate happy birthday on facebook the other day, but she said she's a year younger than me.  Just gave a "Happy Birthday! How are you still 43? Did you skip a grade?"  She responded "Yes."  First interaction I've had with her since elementary school.

Three days later I open my facebook and she's sent me a personal message saying she skipped two more then got her masters when she was 21.  Then something about a 'gifted kids' club or something, which I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

I found it a little sad to be braggy about that sort of thing decades later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I wished a former classmate happy birthday on facebook the other day, but she said she's a year younger than me.  Just gave a "Happy Birthday! How are you still 43? Did you skip a grade?"  She responded "Yes."  First interaction I've had with her since elementary school.

Three days later I open my facebook and she's sent me a personal message saying she skipped two more then got her masters when she was 21.  Then something about a 'gifted kids' club or something, which I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

I found it a little sad to be braggy about that sort of thing decades later.

There's a kid that's still 3 in my daughter's pre-K class, he will turn 4 the same month as she turns 5.  They're both about the same size since she's really little for her age and he's really big.  So my wife was just making conversation with the mom at pickup the other day.  She told my wife, "Yeah, he feels left out sometimes but your daughter is so sweet with him.  He's just so smart, we decided to move skip him ahead one grade."  Is that a thing, I mean I always thought of "skipping a grade was reserved for 1st-12th somewhere.  And really just 1st-8th because high school, you can always leave early if you've got enough of the right credit hours.  Our pre-school has "classes" but it's really just like the daycare for infants/glorified daycare, then the actual pre-K class like everybody here is leaving in June and heading to the local elementary schools for Kinder in August so it's kinda serious with regard to instruction.  And then there's another big class with like 3 teachers/helpers that handle everybody else in the middle.  I knew about "redshirting" a kid for pre-K, but I've never heard of anybody "skipping a grade to go straight to pre-K."  

I dunno, most of my conversations as a young student were about avoiding being held back.  Ha, I showed them---now I read good and stuff!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

There's a kid that's still 3 in my daughter's pre-K class, he will turn 4 the same month as she turns 5.  They're both about the same size since she's really little for her age and he's really big.  So my wife was just making conversation with the mom at pickup the other day.  She told my wife, "Yeah, he feels left out sometimes but your daughter is so sweet with him.  He's just so smart, we decided to move skip him ahead one grade."  Is that a thing, I mean I always thought of "skipping a grade was reserved for 1st-12th somewhere.  And really just 1st-8th because high school, you can always leave early if you've got enough of the right credit hours.  Our pre-school has "classes" but it's really just like the daycare for infants/glorified daycare, then the actual pre-K class like everybody here is leaving in June and heading to the local elementary schools for Kinder in August so it's kinda serious with regard to instruction.  And then there's another big class with like 3 teachers/helpers that handle everybody else in the middle.  I knew about "redshirting" a kid for pre-K, but I've never heard of anybody "skipping a grade to go straight to pre-K."  

I dunno, most of my conversations as a young student were about avoiding being held back.  Ha, I showed them---now I read good and stuff!!!

My son is wicked smart and we kept him out a year, what is these days called redshirting. We did it because boys mature later and I graduated very early. Our philosophy is that life is not a race, and we thought we’d give him a better chance of being a well rounded human if he was age-appropriate. Also give him a better chance of success in sports if he liked them. 
For our son, it worked great. He was very good in sports in HS.  D1 scholarships were never in the cards, and we knew they wouldn’t ever be, but he had a good time. Far more importantly, he had a very well-rounded HS experience and is very well adjusted now as a college senior. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

Yeah, I get repeating Pre-K like doing the "4's" class over again or even Kinder over again.  What these folks are doing though is putting their 3 year old into the 4 year old class, which will make him 4 when he goes to Kindergarten instead of 5 or 6.  If that makes sense.  I had never heard of that before.  I've certainly known kids from way back that would skip say 3rd grade or 7th grade.  And I've known plenty of families that did what you're describing, but I've never heard of somebody springing their kid ahead one year to get to Kinder just after turning 4.  That seems odd to me.  No judgement.  Just different.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I get repeating Pre-K like doing the "4's" class over again or even Kinder over again.  What these folks are doing though is putting their 3 year old into the 4 year old class, which will make him 4 when he goes to Kindergarten instead of 5 or 6.  If that makes sense.  I had never heard of that before.  I've certainly known kids from way back that would skip say 3rd grade or 7th grade.  And I've known plenty of families that did what you're describing, but I've never heard of somebody springing their kid ahead one year to get to Kinder just after turning 4.  That seems odd to me.  No judgement.  Just different.

Yes, what I was pointing out was that we did the opposite of skipping, and were very intentional about it. I skipped a couple of grades and graduated very early, and I think would’ve had a better experience if I hadn’t been the youngest kid in the class. 

• Like 1

Yes, what I was pointing out was that we did the opposite of skipping, and were very intentional about it. I skipped a couple of grades and graduated very early, and I think would’ve had a better experience if I hadn’t been the youngest kid in the class. 

Agreed. We called it greyshirting, but redshirting works too.

I was an August birthday and the 3rd youngest in my class and I hated it. There were even a few kids over a year older than me, and I went to a small private school with a class size of 40 from 2-8th and was always conscious of it.

My son was June 30 and he did kindergarten twice but one at San Antonio Academy and once at Keystone (fuck me, right? $$$$) specifically so he would be an older kid. An extra year of childhood.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I was the youngest person in my class from 3rd through 12th grades.  It sucked hard.  I would not do that to my child.

• Like 3

I got a good one, topic wise. Just found out that Merrill Kelly, who will likely be starting pitcher for the Dbacks in tomorrow nights World Series game, is my Aunt’s sister’s ex-husband’s grandson. I never met the guy and barely remember his father but apparently half the family is going to the game.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:09 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

I was the youngest person in my class from 3rd through 12th grades.  It sucked hard.  I would not do that to my child.

I was 16 entering my senior year, turning 17 that December. 
Made up for it by doing the Bluto five year college plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 8:02 PM, BearSchlong said:

Agreed. We called it greyshirting, but redshirting works too.

I was an August birthday and the 3rd youngest in my class and I hated it. There were even a few kids over a year older than me, and I went to a small private school with a class size of 40 from 2-8th and was always conscious of it.

My son was June 30 and he did kindergarten twice but one at San Antonio Academy and once at Keystone (fuck me, right? $$$$) specifically so he would be an older kid. An extra year of childhood.

Did you change your birthday?  Adopt a new identity while on the run from Johnny Law?  Enter witness protection after testifying against the mob?  Why would your birthday not still be an August birthday?  I must know the answer.  That is, if you are allowed to say.  Maybe you died on a hospital table late in the night on August 30 and was revived early in the morning on September 1 and you now consider that your birthday, I don't know.  But again, I must know.

Did you change your birthday?  Adopt a new identity while on the run from Johnny Law?  Enter witness protection after testifying against the mob?  Why would your birthday not still be an August birthday?  I must know the answer.  That is, if you are allowed to say.  Maybe you died on a hospital table late in the night on August 30 and was revived early in the morning on September 1 and you now consider that your birthday, I don't know.  But again, I must know.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Do people still buy/use waterbeds?

This is a good question. I have wondered the same thing. My brother got a hand-me-down waterbed from some friend of our parents. I tried to use it when he left for the Navy, but a third-hand waterbed is too funky. 

16 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

for some reason I can't shit on the weekends

then Monday arrives, and suddenly I'm filling up the thing to above the waterline... and that's just the first trip

what's goin on down there

I'm the opposite.

This past weekend I shit enough to break the waterline, flushed (almost clogged the toilet with just fecal matter). After the water slooooowly went down, I dropped another regular weekday sized turd.

Maybe my body is just making space for the junk I'm going to eat on the weekends.

• Haha 1

for some reason I can't shit on the weekends
then Monday arrives, and suddenly I'm filling up the thing to above the waterline... and that's just the first trip
what's goin on down there

My uncle had one. Pretty sure he did some swinging with one or both of his wives (not Mormon, one wife archer the other). We would go visit him and my grandma in San Antonio and I knew he hid his stash of playboys under the waterbed. Uncomfortable as hell to sleep on. Not sure how they are for boning on.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My uncle had one. Pretty sure he did some swinging with one or both of his wives (not Mormon, one wife archer the other). We would go visit him and my grandma in San Antonio and I knew he hid his stash of playboys under the waterbed. Uncomfortable as hell to sleep on. Not sure how they are for boning on.

Your uncle took a crap that broke the waterline? I guess he was proud of it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nnm said:

This is a good question. I have wondered the same thing. My brother got a hand-me-down waterbed from some friend of our parents. I tried to use it when he left for the Navy, but a third-hand waterbed is too funky. 

A married friend of ours back in the day got a waterbed and threw a party to show it off. Several couples* took turns (with the door closed) having sex on it. 
Guess the owners had to change the sheets afterwards.

*Mrs. Brat & I did not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A married friend of ours back in the day got a waterbed and threw a party to show it off. Several couples* took turns (with the door closed) having sex on it. 
Guess the owners had to change the sheets afterwards.
*Mrs. Brat & I did not.

Didn’t deed, or change the sheets?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

For no particular reason ive decided to remove my iphone case and go bareback. Feels weirdman. 

Careful. Had my brand new one in my front pocket before the case for it showed up in the mail and cracked the screen picking up a freaking 30 pound bag of cat food and putting it in a grocery cart!
  • Rage+1 2